Re-occuring Insomnia

Hirri

Hello,
Sorry for long post :(
I have a bad insomnia which seems to be related to changing seasons (always worse when fall comes and it's getting darker), however, some episodes happen in summer to. I cannot fall asleep until 2-3 am, I feel my pulse racing and I can hear every tiny sound around which makes me even more anxious and annoyed. This especially worsens during PMS (all year long), but during cold season not only during PMS. Some things about me and what I've tried;
- 37 female
-used to be very low body fat %, but gained to what was considered normal during last 2 years (reduced running, increased eating), now BMI around 20 (used to be 17.5)
-I run but I watch my heart rate and never exceed aerobic stage, 3-4 times per week, 6 miles per time, I also walk everyday, especially now with remote work, and 1-2 times per week pilates
-eat lots of carbs, during episodes oh this insomnia in fact I crave for sugar, but even when everything is fine, I eat lots of it in all different forms
-Generally eat around 2800 calories per day, lately during insomnia days eat so much more because it helps to feel less stressed and get through the day
-dont drink coffee, dont drink alcohol
-Used to be on birth control pill for 15 years but went off of it 2 years ago. However, insomnia episodes were present then as well (maybe now a bit more often but I am aging)
-take vitamin D in the morning (only from September as had tested and was very low levels after summer even), magnesium, vitamin C, A and E, zinc and selenium
-last time I checked, my free tiroxine levels were quite low (11.5) and I was told to go to endocrinologist to get further tests but then pandemic happened and I never went. Will go next week but not sure which tests should I ask for?
-I have very bad PMS and in general feel my body affected by the fluctuating hormones during monthly basis A LOT, just other things don't bother me that much as insomnia.
-found some correlations that when it's hard to sleep I have very fast bowel movement and the opposite when I sleep better, I get constipated which also fluctuates on a monthly basis all the time.
-All the sleep hygiene of course I tried and always keep in mind: no screens before bed, cold room, always going to be and waking up same time, ear plugs for sounds etc
-melatonin 1mg 1 hour before bed sometimes helps amazingly, but sometimes not at all.
-I keep sleep diary and during last year the only month I had amazing sleep was after 1 week vacation in Alps this July (lots of hiking). It was the only time in years were I remembered what it feels like to actually have no control over urge to sleep which is amazing to me.
-last year I took 5-htp+melatonin and it really helped too (for a while), but then I quit as I learned how bad it can be.

Any tips what could this be? Perimenopause? Hormonal disbalance after years on birth control pill? Seasonal Affective Disorder? Too much running? Diet? All of it :D Where to look for start to fix this?

THANKS SO MUCH WHO READ ALL OF THIS

Happycat

Hello,
I am not sure I will be much help, but just wanted to say that I have kind of similar issues.
I am 44 and my sleep issues are definitely perimenopause related, mainly because of low progesterone.
I do take natural progesterone, both in a cream form and in an oral oil, most of the time it helps but sometimes, despite everything, I still sleep badly.
Things that help: eating enough carbs before bed, but not too much sugar, that can keep me awake. Using a lighter blanket, sometimes I dont even realise I am too hot until I put on a thinner blanket and that sometimes helps.
Keeping active during the day with walks and moderate exercise.
Melatonin 1mg slow release, as you have mentioned sometimes it helps sometimes it doesnt.
If you've been on birth control for a long time, when you come off its very common to have hormonal imbalances, if you read through the 'femake issues' part of this forum you might find some useful info.

Peater

Bicarbonate of soda with OJ before bed knocks me out.

1mg of cypro for added relaxation (Cypro by itself not always effective)

OP
Hirri

Hirri

Happycat, thanks so much for your input. I also noticed that this is way worse in winter times so maybe it's like a mix of perimenopause, hormonal imbalance and seasonal affective disorder.

OP
Hirri

Hirri

Bicarbonate of soda with OJ before bed knocks me out.

1mg of cypro for added relaxation (Cypro by itself not always effective)

Will google what those are, sounds new to me, thanks

Peater

@Peater - I will try the bicarbonate with OJ tonight, thanks for the tip.

Let me know how it works, a 'generous' half a teaspoon is what I use, try and chug it down quick and be aware it will react and foam. Don't burp through your nose, it's pure CO2 and hurts!

Happycat

@Peater - ok thank you, will report back, fingers crossed, I will try anything.:thumbup:

@Hirri- it could be a seasonal thing, we are supposed to get plenty of light during the day to help melatonin production, but it's hard to get that in the winter months.
For me it's totally random, doesn't matter if its summer or winter.

Peater

@Peater - ok thank you, will report back, fingers crossed, I will try anything.:thumbup:

I really think you will be pleasantly surprised, despite it sounding unusual. Worth searching the forum for more as it was here where I originally heard about it.

Happycat

I really think you will be pleasantly surprised, despite it sounding unusual. Worth searching the forum for more as it was here where I originally heard about it.

It doesn't sound unusual, I have tried OJ with salt, I thought it helped at that time but I tried it again the last few nights and it didn't help.

(Trying to get the hang of this 'quote' thing, hope I got it right)

Peater

It doesn't sound unusual, I have tried OJ with salt, I thought it helped at that time but I tried it again the last few nights and it didn't help.

(Trying to get the hang of this 'quote' thing, hope I got it right)

I eat quite a lot of salt, but there's definitely something in the 'OJ and Bicarb' mix that hits the spot standard salt just doesn't reach

Happycat

Well, it didn't work, not sure it's related but I had the worst sleep in a long time.

I really have no idea why my sleep has worsened again this last week. I have been cutting out on starchy foods to try and resolve some digestion issues, I think I will have more starch today and see if it helps.

M

metabolizm

Well, it didn't work, not sure it's related but I had the worst sleep in a long time.

I really have no idea why my sleep has worsened again this last week. I have been cutting out on starchy foods to try and resolve some digestion issues, I think I will have more starch today and see if it helps.

Are you getting enough calories? It can be hard without starch. That's why Ray drinks so much milk and OJ.

EDIT: I see you do get enough calories; missed that at first.

OP
Hirri

Hirri

I am starting to think that I should try CBT because it might be not related to physiology after all and changing the thoughts and especially the fear of not getting enough sleep might be the key. However, why I have the anxiety in the first place is the question :D
@Happycat maybe it's the same for you too?

marcar72

I have a bad insomnia which seems to be related to changing seasons (always worse when fall comes and it's getting darker....-take vitamin D in the morning (only from September as had tested and was very low levels after summer even)....)

It's probably the vitamin D supplementation that's causing your insomnia. :2cents:

Happycat

@Hirri I don't think my problem is in my head.
Last year I went through a bad time with anxiety and insomnia and I realised that worrying about not sleeping is much worse than the lack of sleep.
I know it will get better and I will be ok.

@marcar72 - interesting, why do you think vitamin D is the culprit? I also supplement vit D, but most people do and they don't get insomnia...

marcar72

@marcar72 - interesting, why do you think vitamin D is the culprit?

From noticing the correlation in the OP's original post.

I also supplement vit D, but most people do and they don't get insomnia...

I've recently been convinced that supplemental vitamin D isn't sound, nutritional advice. Check out Morley Robbins and Jim Stephenson Jr. (Secosteroid Hormone D facebook group) for info along these lines. :2cents:

Food for thought: Mitolife Radio: Why You Shouldn't Supplement Vitamin D with Jim Stephenson Jr and Morley Robbins

OP
Hirri

Hirri

It's probably the vitamin D supplementation that's causing your insomnia. :2cents:

That's interesting. I had a mild suspicion about this, but always thought it's just a coincidence because and that I must take it once fall starts. In fact this year erven after summer my levels were below norm (59).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals