Really Tired After Breakfast - Why?

FredSonoma

Hi all,

The past two days I've been getting really tired after breakfast. Here's what I ate today:

Leftover beef knuckle bone broth (primarily joint tissue, maybe 2 tbsp bone marrow fat), leftover salmon head soup (fat completely skimmed off), 2 pastured eggs, small amount of spinach cooked well, salt

1/3 papaya
4 oz. milk
12 grapes
small amount yogurt

4 tbsp coconut oil + 4 oz. coffee + 3 tbsp honey + 2 tbsp sugar + 1 tbsp cocoa powder

Any idea what could have made me so tired?

OP
F

FredSonoma

paper_clips43 said:
Is this a big change in your recent diet?

Kind of - I used to eat shitloads of fruit and some meat and vegetables, so adding dairy is the biggest change + added a lot of sugar and calories in general.

Also, I'm only 5 days out of a 20 day fast lol I imagine that makes a difference.

Edit: and I've had gut problems for 2+ years, getting tired after meals is very common for me.

Mittir

You can use cronometer.com to find out the ratio of macro nutrients of your breakfast.
You need a good amount of carbohydrate to protein ratio to prevent
stress response from insulin and cortisol. Egg protein is a strong insulin
stimulator. 2:1 carb to protein ratio is good, i personally need more carb
to protein ratio for breakfast. Experiment with 2:1 to 4:1 ratio and see how you feel.

Dutchie

From the breakfast you mentioned,you're eating a lot of different foods at once. If you've suffered from bad digestion,you migth get some more energy when you look into food combining so that your gut doesn't have to work so hard at digesting all these different types of food at once.

Also,for me personally I've noticed that lactose&fructose give me digestive problems and are a huge source of fatigue for me.
Btw,are you the same person that's on the KickAS forum? I saw someone on there asking about a Ray Peat Diet.

OP
F

FredSonoma

Mittir said:
You can use cronometer.com to find out the ratio of macro nutrients of your breakfast.
to protein ratio for breakfast. Experiment with 2:1 to 4:1 ratio and see how you feel.

Alright thanks!

4 tablespoons of coconut oil? That's about 480 calories of fat in one shot. Thats why you feel tired IMO. Too much fat in the bloodstream at once clogging things up. In one of the Herb Doctor interviews, Sarah asked Peat if a person should take 3 or 4 tablespoons of coconut oil and Peat laughed and said "no, more like 3 teaspoons."

Carbohydrates = energy. It took me a long time to realize this. Fruit is the best carbohydrate but it is hard to get quality ripe fruit depending on where you live, and even if you do have good fruit it does not satiate as long as potatoes. Potatoes are the most satiating food on the planet. IMO fruit, potatoes, and white rice are the best carbohydrate sources. 1/3 of a papaya and 12 grapes is nothing. That's not enough energy.

OP
F

FredSonoma

Westside PUFAs said:
4 tablespoons of coconut oil? That's about 480 calories of fat in one shot. Thats why you feel tired IMO. Too much fat in the bloodstream at once clogging things up. In one of the Herb Doctor interviews, Sarah asked Peat if a person should take 3 or 4 tablespoons of coconut oil and Peat laughed and said "no, more like 3 teaspoons."

Carbohydrates = energy. It took me a long time to realize this. Fruit is the best carbohydrate but it is hard to get quality ripe fruit depending on where you live, and even if you do have good fruit it does not satiate as long as potatoes. Potatoes are the most satiating food on the planet. IMO fruit, potatoes, and white rice are the best carbohydrate sources. 1/3 of a papaya and 12 grapes is nothing. That's not enough energy.

Okay thanks! Interesting about the coconut oil I eat soo much of it lol

OP
F

FredSonoma

Dutchie said:
From the breakfast you mentioned,you're eating a lot of different foods at once. If you've suffered from bad digestion,you migth get some more energy when you look into food combining so that your gut doesn't have to work so hard at digesting all these different types of food at once.

Also,for me personally I've noticed that lactose&fructose give me digestive problems and are a huge source of fatigue for me.
Btw,are you the same person that's on the KickAS forum? I saw someone on there asking about a Ray Peat Diet.

Okay thanks! I'll try eating less different foods. And yes that's me from KickAS

haidut

Forum Supporter
Ray said the feeling tired after eating is often a sign that you are running on stress hormones and when you eat they go down and it reveals the low metabolism underneath. It should improve with time and better thyroid function. It could also be a result of high insulin if you are eating a lot of insulinogenic foods. Starches fall into that category as well as too much protein.

OP
F

FredSonoma

haidut said:
Ray said the feeling tired after eating is often a sign that you are running on stress hormones and when you eat they go down and it reveals the low metabolism underneath. It should improve with time and better thyroid function. It could also be a result of high insulin if you are eating a lot of insulinogenic foods. Starches fall into that category as well as too much protein.

Okay thanks, I think I'm eating too much protein / fat and not enough sugar.

tara

Yes to more carbs and less fat for breakfast.
Are you getting enough sleep? If not, that could make you tired. :)

tara

FredSonoma said:
Dutchie said:

Okay thanks! I'll try eating less different foods. And yes that's me from KickAS

You can try different combinations and see what works for you, but be aware that this is pretty opposite from Peat's advice.
Peat usually speaks in favour of food combining, and against 'Food Combining' diets that involve not combining food. Clear as mud? :) He mentions studies showing that mixed meals - carbs+protein+fat - are usually better digested. He does make some combination suggestions, like coffee with meat to reduce iron absorption, and avoiding OJ with meat for the same reason.

OP
F

FredSonoma

tara said:
FredSonoma said:
Dutchie said:

You can try different combinations and see what works for you, but be aware that this is pretty opposite from Peat's advice.
Peat usually speaks in favour of food combining, and against 'Food Combining' diets that involve not combining food. Clear as mud? :) He mentions studies showing that mixed meals - carbs+protein+fat - are usually better digested. He does make some combination suggestions, like coffee with meat to reduce iron absorption, and avoiding OJ with meat for the same reason.

Ohh alright thanks! Yes lots of food combining does just feel and taste better - I used to eat tons of one kind of food thinking I would digest it better but it never felt right.

NathanK

It took me years to finally figure it out, but I'm allergic to some eggs. I don't know if it's the feed in certain eggs, but I finally pared it down the the eggs. I think it's an allergy that would just knock me out like taking a sleeping pill.

SQu

Fred I think this is closely related to your previous question about insomnia. In my case and as I understand it, like haidut says tired after a meal means the stress hormones I was running on just got switched off by the meal and that's a good thing though uncomfortable to begin with. So bedtime snacks and if you wakeup in the night snacks next to your bed would help. Maybe start a log so you can see the patterns like this emerging?

OP
F

FredSonoma

sueq said:
Fred I think this is closely related to your previous question about insomnia. In my case and as I understand it, like haidut says tired after a meal means the stress hormones I was running on just got switched off by the meal and that's a good thing though uncomfortable to begin with. So bedtime snacks and if you wakeup in the night snacks next to your bed would help. Maybe start a log so you can see the patterns like this emerging?

Alright thats a good idea! I'll do that. Always mean to keep a log in general and never do it.

Dutchie

tara said:
FredSonoma said:
Dutchie said:

Let me clear that up a little,by food combining I didn't mean that you should eat your Macros in Mono meals.
I mean that from a digestive point of view certain foodcombinations are tough on the gut and probably for an advanced stage. Like a meal of potato&meat is much more work to digest for the gut than meat&starchless veggies combination.

I'm all for foodcombining too,yes the mixed flavors,textures etc. make eating more pleasant, and a good gutfunction&metabolism will most likely be able to handle anything. But in order to reach that stage and/or keep energy going,one migth start out slow and do a bit of research and self-experimentation in order to see what works.

superhuman

What do you notice if carb to protein ratio is off for breakfast? Im getting very sleepy 1-2 hours after eating breakfast now and im wondering that my carb:to protein is a little to low.
Does gelatin need the same in terms of carbs for its protein ratio?
I have milk,sugar and gelatin for breakfast.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals