Recipes For Lowering Serotonin (Serotonin Syndrome Recovery Diet)

Very interesting this thread, can I ask you if you are trying to balance the dopamine by increasing it? Do you use nootrpics or drugs? I also had two episodes of serotoningergic crisis.

[QUOTE = "ROBOTT32, post: 337520, membro: 8186"] Inoltre, c'è la possibilità che tu abbia o una carenza di vitamina E, o ridotti livelli di vitamina B6, che è necessaria per l'enzima decarbossilasi dell'acido glutammico GAD che è responsabile per instradare il glutammato in GABA. Probabilmente perché hai un po 'troppo della dopamina / adrenalina.
Infatti bere te è un'alternativa migliore per te perché la L-teanina regola in eccesso il cortisolo e le catecolamine come la dopamina / l'adrenalina.
Quindi integrando con vitamina E; vitamina B6; L-theanine, lo riequilibrerà.

Modifica: Gotu Kola è anche un neuro-potenziatore GABA e aiuta ad aumentare l'azione di Vit E. [/ QUOTE]

Is B6 also essential for the conversion of histidine into histamine? Does Niacinamide lower serotonin? thank you!

OP
Jerimy Brown

Jerimy Brown

Also, there is the possibility that you have or an vitamin E deficiency, or reduced levels of vitamin B6, which is needed for the glutamic acid decarboxylase enzyme GAD that is responsible for routing glutamate into GABA. Probably because you have a litte too much of the dopamine / adrenaline.
Indeed drinking green thee is a better alternative for you because the L-theanine will down-regulating excess cortisol and catecholamines like dopamine / adrenaline.
So supplementing with vitamin E; vitamin B6; L-theanine, will re-balance it.

Edit: Gotu Kola is also an GABA neuro-enhancer plus helps increase the action of Vit E.

Thanks so much for the information... I wasn't quite sure what was causing that, or how to deal with it other than avoiding things that caused it, but I would much rather proactively work towards a dietary solution, so this is very much appreciated ;)

Wagner83

That's nice, I have been having ear pressure and stiff upper back/neck, I think it may be physical (disk) but also suspect dairy may be irritating since I'm reintroducing a lot of quack cheese and some yogurt (some lactose too) . I guess the few grams of gelatin per meal deserve a kick in the Nicky Butt until further notice, I'm bored of drinking urine-like drinks anyway, that's for Saturday night. Turmeric is also a possible culprit but it's said to be protective. Oddly enough I have been having pretty good digestion.

[QUOTE = "ROBOTT32, post: 337520, membro: 8186"] Inoltre, c'è la possibilità che tu abbia o una carenza di vitamina E, o ridotti livelli di vitamina B6, che è necessaria per l'enzima decarbossilasi dell'acido glutammico GAD che è responsabile per instradare il glutammato in GABA. Probabilmente perché hai un po 'troppo della dopamina / adrenalina.
Infatti bere te è un'alternativa migliore per te perché la L-teanina regola in eccesso il cortisolo e le catecolamine come la dopamina / l'adrenalina.
Quindi integrando con vitamina E; vitamina B6; L-theanine, lo riequilibrerà.

Modifica: Gotu Kola è anche un neuro-potenziatore GABA e aiuta ad aumentare l'azione di Vit E. [/ QUOTE]

Is B6 also essential for the conversion of histidine into histamine? Does Niacinamide lower serotonin? thank you!

Yes that is right, B6 is a coenzyme needed for many conversions of amines.
No B3 or Nicotinamide will increase serotonine synthesis. you can find more info here

Very interesting this thread, can I ask you if you are trying to balance the dopamine by increasing it? Do you use nootrpics or drugs? I also had two episodes of serotoningergic crisis.

If you ask me, I am actually using a low dose of Sint John's wort to increase and balance neurotransmitters and reduce eye floaters. But this is difficult to combine with medicines because it increases activity of multiple cytochrome P450 enzymes.

Thanks so much for the information... I wasn't quite sure what was causing that, or how to deal with it other than avoiding things that caused it, but I would much rather proactively work towards a dietary solution, so this is very much appreciated ;)

You also have to understand that, with exercising the dilation of blood vessels by making more Nitric Oxide, also causes a lot of these muscle pains, if you do not balance it with NO scavengers in the diet, like garlic, curcumin and enough magnesium.
Actually a simple magnesium deficiency is one of the main causes of increasing the “inflammatory” nitric oxide (produced by iNOS)

edit: and can cause uncontrolled nervous excitations, but this has to do with NMDA stimulation.

Exercise can also be dangerous for healing the gut for you will stress the body and weakens intestinal barrier function, and can caus bacteria and endotoxin to be absorbed.

Last edited:
That's nice, I have been having ear pressure and stiff upper back/neck, I think it may be physical (disk) but also suspect dairy may be irritating since I'm reintroducing a lot of quack cheese and some yogurt (some lactose too) . I guess the few grams of gelatin per meal deserve a kick in the Nicky Butt until further notice, I'm bored of drinking urine-like drinks anyway, that's for Saturday night. Turmeric is also a possible culprit but it's said to be protective. Oddly enough I have been having pretty good digestion.

I am not sure this dairy is related to that, but you can try to upload some buffered magnesium, -glycinate and -oxide before bedtime, without starch is safe.
The turmeric is helpful with nitric oxide scavenging when you boost its bioavailabilty with BioPirine capsule (black pepper extract)

Last edited:
OP
Jerimy Brown

Jerimy Brown

You also have to understand that, with exercising the dilation of blood vessels by making more Nitric Oxide, also causes a lot of these muscle pains, if you do not balance it with NO scavengers in the diet, like garlic, curcumin and enough magnesium.
Actually a simple magnesium deficiency is one of the main causes of increasing the “inflammatory” nitric oxide (produced by iNOS)

edit: and can cause uncontrolled nervous excitations, but this has to do with NMDA stimulation.

Exercise can also be dangerous for healing the gut for you will stress the body and weakens intestinal barrier function, and can caus bacteria and endotoxin to be absorbed.

Glad I stopped that then... I learned the hard way that cycling wasn't good. Had a day where I feeling pretty good and jumped on the road bike, then felt horrible for a couple days, later I learned that irritating the lungs was one of the worst things I could have done, and it probably doesn't help that I live in Colorado, so the high altitude probably makes them work even harder.

Thanks again for all the great info and the recommends on some additional vitamins/supplements. Yesterday I added B6, E, L-theanine, & Gotu Kola to the routine, and I could swear I am noticing a small improvement by day 2, but not sure if that's possible, maybe it's just placebo ;). The other thing is that the last 4 days, it seems my digestion and bowel activity have returned to a normal/familiar state... Haven't felt any vibration in my muscles in days either, so feels like I turned yet another corner in this recovery process.

Do you have any books you'd recommend reading, or have you learned most of what you know here and/or online... I really want to continue educating myself, and I have been really impressed with the level of knowledge of folk here, like yourself, Constatine, and others, that seem to know exactly the cause of something, just by hearing someones symptoms, or seeing their diet. I am hungry for this education for preventative purposes, and also to be able to give back and help others going through this... This has been a real trial, and in the beginning when I was really suffering from brain fog and/or confusion, this was all very difficult to sort out and get a handle on, and I consider myself a reasonably quick study. Anyway, any recommended reading would be fantastic... Thanks so much.

OP
Jerimy Brown

Jerimy Brown

Actually, I take that back, something in those supplements didn't agree with after taking them again today... Not sure if you have any ideas, but I feel pretty confident the vitamin E was safe. After todays morning run of those new vitamins, and supplements though, I started getting a headache, then I took a couple aspirin, and a little while later, I got my first brain zap... hadn't ever experienced that before, and this evening I feel a bit dizzy and having trouble getting to sleep, so back to no supplements and just allowing my trusted diet to work ;). I suspect the Taurine or L-theanine, because I have not had good luck with supplements thus far, but I have been taking some daily vitamins for a while now with no ill effects.

Last edited:

TreasureVibe

Serotonin cannot pass a healthy blood brain barrier, but can it pass a leaky blood brain barrier?

[QUOTE = "ROBOTT32, post: 337685, member: 8186"] A proposito ... Questo è collegato alla serotonina nel cervello o alla serotonina nel corpo? molto diverso. [/ QUOTE]

In my case I assume both from birth so probably brain or something related to a high methylation that causes a high serotonin.
It is strange that for overmetilators, however, B3 is given ... which, as you said, would further increase serotonin.
Also I really believe I have the 5-HTP 1 A high receptor that causes me a lot of anticipatory anxiety ... any ideas to solve?

Last edited:

Elize

Actually, I take that back, something in those supplements didn't agree with after taking them again today... Not sure if you have any ideas, but I feel pretty confident the vitamin E was safe. After todays morning run of those new vitamins, and supplements though, I started getting a headache, then I took a couple aspirin, and a little while later, I got my first brain zap... hadn't ever experienced that before, and this evening I feel a bit dizzy and having trouble getting to sleep, so back to no supplements and just allowing my trusted diet to work ;). I suspect the Taurine or L-theanine, because I have not had good luck with supplements thus far, but I have been taking some daily vitamins for a while now with no ill effects.

Taurine and. L Theanine do the same to.me as it lowers cortisol and give me headache and a sore throat

Elize

OP
Jerimy Brown

Jerimy Brown

Taurine and. L Theanine do the same to.me as it lowers cortisol and give me headache and a sore throat

Elize

Thanks for that, I did wake up on morning two feeling like I was trying to get sick, then second day of taking them, I got the headache, and brain zap I have heard people mention, but that never happened to me when I was at my worst, so I stopped those items today, and only took the additional vitamin E, and I am feeling much better again... Supplements just don't seem to agree with me at all (had a horrible glutamine reaction when I tried BCAAs early on), but vitamins seem to be OK... I did stop the B6 today too, because it says on the bottle that it can help raise serotonin, so that concerned me, because I don't seem to need help in that category.

I am also a little confused about Serotonin Syndrome... Seems to be that there are different levels of it or something, or is there a difference between SS and Serotonin Toxicity? I've heard people say SS means your receptors are fried or something so your brain isn't producing serotonin anymore, and I have seen people suggesting to others that they should take 5-htp to help their levels regulate, but I believe 5-htp is part of the problem that landed me in this situation, and I would not ever take that stuff again... Hell I didn't even mean to take it to begin with, it was an additive in a supplement I was taking to help with sleep, and here I am now, wishing I just had my plain old insomnia back LOL ;)

I guess the silver lining here is that I am actually learning about nutrition now, and seeing how important it is, and how little I've payed attention to it all these years.

Last edited:
I do not read books anymore. And I'm an IT guy, so I abuse Internet. Eat, research, repeat is what I do. So I use a lot of google and pubmed etc.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/creativity-way-life/201107/fireworks-or-brain-zaps
With withdrawing from an SSRI antidepressant we also see these brain zaps occurring. And drinking alcohol increases them. And extra magnesium reduces them.
I think it is the combination of L-theanine and Gotu Kola that is working too good for you. It is like an alcohol or a benzodiazepine, they can cause brain zaps too. So better just choose one of them.

I don't know how long it has been since you had these serotonin boosters, but I think your brain needs rest more.
First go with the taurine for a while like a month, to get your neurotransmitters back in homeostasis, then introduce either Gotu kola or L-theanine. And extra magnesium. I do not recommend caffeine in that time.

If have more questions just PM me.

OP
Jerimy Brown

Jerimy Brown

[QUOTE = "ROBOTT32, post: 337685, member: 8186"] A proposito ... Questo è collegato alla serotonina nel cervello o alla serotonina nel corpo? molto diverso. [/ QUOTE]

In my case I assume both from birth so probably brain or something related to a high methylation that causes a high serotonin.
It is strange that for overmetilators, however, B3 is given ... which, as you said, would further increase serotonin.
Also I really believe I have the 5-HTP 1 A high receptor that causes me a lot of anticipatory anxiety ... any ideas to solve?

I had very severe anxiety the first couple weeks, and I got so desperate I tried a lot of things... Two things that helped me were

Tapping (sounds crazy, but really helped me, and I have seen at least one other person mention it on here)
Chronic Serotonin Toxicity? Need A Help!

Bag breathing (this has other health benefits, but can have a calming effect too):
Side Effects Of Too Much Serotonin

From a neutrition perspective check out this post and thread (I didn't run across this until recently unfortunately, but I still find the low blood sugar comments to ring true for my recovery in general):
Chronic Serotonin Toxicity? Need A Help!

Hope something here helps, I can attest to how terrible the anxiety feels.

Last edited:
OP
Jerimy Brown

Jerimy Brown

I do not read books anymore. And I'm an IT guy, so I abuse Internet. Eat, research, repeat is what I do. So I use a lot of google and pubmed etc.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/creativity-way-life/201107/fireworks-or-brain-zaps
With withdrawing from an SSRI antidepressant we also see these brain zaps occurring. And drinking alcohol increases them. And extra magnesium reduces them.
I think it is the combination of L-theanine and Gotu Kola that is working too good for you. It is like an alcohol or a benzodiazepine, they can cause brain zaps too. So better just choose one of them.

I don't know how long it has been since you had these serotonin boosters, but I think your brain needs rest more.
First go with the taurine for a while like a month, to get your neurotransmitters back in homeostasis, then introduce either Gotu kola or L-theanine. And extra magnesium. I do not recommend caffeine in that time.

If have more questions just PM me.

I'm a Designer/Developer, so I do the same... You're in like company with me ;).

And, honestly, one of the serotonin boosters, I was taking (the 5-htp), was an additive in a supplement I was taking to help me sleep, I wasn't intentionally taking it, and didn't know what it was or what it did, so I don't even know exactly how long I was taking it (but for a few months at least). Al I can tell you is that from now on, I will be tapping, meditating, using light therapy, or whatever damn natural thing I can come up with, for dealing with insomnia or sleep issues. I had no idea it was possible to mess myself up that bad with an over the counter supplement, that I assumed would be better regulated. My high carb lifestyle didn't help either. lots of things are easy to see looking back, with what I know now (hindsight, what can you do, other than stop being dumb moving forward).

Thanks again... Super helpful... Good news is when anything goes sideways now, I recover very fast... In the beginning, it would take days to recover from a misstep, but after yesterday I just skipped everything but the vitamin E this morning and felt fine all day today.

Last edited:

Elize

I stopped all supplements as even magnesium lowers cortisol. I get a stiff neck, headaches feel drained, sleepy and my eyes feel pressure, blurred vision, tremors etc. I only have my compounded thyroid meds.

I dk take Asprin once a day with Olive oil
Elize

OP
Jerimy Brown

Jerimy Brown

I stopped all supplements as even magnesium lowers cortisol. I get a stiff neck, headaches feel drained, sleepy and my eyes feel pressure, blurred vision, tremors etc. I only have my compounded thyroid meds.

I dk take Asprin once a day with Olive oil
Elize

That's interesting, I found decent relief from aspirin too... what's the olive oil help with? Does it promote absorption in some way, or something else entirely?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom