Red Light Therapy, Lights, Supplemental Lighting

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thanks jyb. I've been using the infrared heat lamps due to the cold winter where I live. Incandescent seem to have been phased(in the U.S.) out so I will have to see how I can buy them. I think they are available under 100 watts so I could just use several. I appreciate you suggestion.

himsahimsa

Using LED you get more juice at the target wavelength and don't have to endure the heat. Other than that, light is light, so I think whatever you can get is good if it works for you.

I found some research that included an absorption versus wavelength curve for cytochrome c oxidase, it is highest at 650-670 which is deep red not infra and so penetration would be less but energy transfer high. This researcher seems to use the band around 660 exclusively but does a lot of dish work (so there wouldn't be an occlusive problem).

jyb

himsahimsa said:
Using LED you get more juice at the target wavelength and don't have to endure the heat. Other than that, light is light, so I think whatever you can get is good if it works for you.

I found some research that included an absorption versus wavelength curve for cytochrome c oxidase, it is highest at 650-670 which is deep red not infra and so penetration would be less but energy transfer high. This researcher seems to use the band around 660 exclusively but does a lot of dish work (so there wouldn't be an occlusive problem).

But what if you get LED that's not in 650-670? I think its not too bad to find some power red LEDs for example at plant growing shops, but I think the common red is 630 (maybe because the useful red for plants is not the same for humans? Whatever spectrum they put in those LEDs is optimized for plants).

Dan W

Optimum parts of the spectrum aside, I ordered 2 of the 630nm bulbs. They look so cool that I'm currently pretending to be in a space ship:

light-therapy-630nm-bulb.jpg

They're strong enough that I can faintly see through the upper part of my palm, and can clearly make out blood vessels in my fingers.

himsahimsa

Here is the graph. The cutoff around 650 might just mean they didn't take any measurements shorter than that or there may really be a sharp cutoff. As you move to shorter wavelengths penetration drops off very rapidly. So you get very little effect on inner tissue. That's not shown on this graph.

Attachments

• F8.large.jpg
    F8.large.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 1,296

jyb

Dan Wich said:
Optimum parts of the spectrum aside, I ordered 2 of the 630nm bulbs. They look so cool that I'm currently pretending to be in a space ship:

They're strong enough that I can faintly see through the upper part of my palm, and can clearly make out blood vessels in my fingers.

Dan, what's your experience with the LEDs so far?

Dan W

jyb said:
Dan, what's your experience with the LEDs so far?
Haven't really noticed anything so far, positive or negative. That said, I mainly wanted to try them in the heat of the summer; I've only replaced one of my incandescents for the moment. I was curious to see if it made any difference in myofascial pain (I've been keeping it pointed at a painful spot), but it hasn't changed anything.

loess

Quick question for my fellow red light geeks: is there any benefit to using a 250W incandescent light that is rated for 120V (not the recommended 130V)? I am in a very rural area housesitting for a friend for the next two weeks and I forgot to bring the incandescent bulbs and lamps that I use at home with me on this trip. I could mailorder a couple of bulbs but that's going to take another 3-4 days and I'd like to get something set up ASAP. Closest thing I can find locally (40 minute drive) that is in stock is this, but it's rated for 120V:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-250- ... /202768698

Would that bulb still push out a good portion of red and orange spectrum even though it's rated for 120V?

Mittir

Their description is bit confusing. All the heat lamps i have checked has
130 volt, this is the reason bulb emits more red and infra red light.
Extra infra-red light provides the heat. 130 volt incandescent has
slightly better features than 120 volt one. RP mentioned that 130 volt
has very little blue and ultraviolet. My understanding is that the amount
of blue and ultraviolet also depends largely on the color temperature of
the incandescent bulb. That GE bulb has color temperature of 2700 K
and the charts i have seen for 2700 have very little blue or ultraviolet.
I think this particular bulb is very good for light therapy.
I personally use two 2700 K regular voltage incandescent bulb.

Mittir

This is what RP recommends
http://www.amazon.com/Bulbrite-250BR40H ... B00C2B5VH2
The one you posted is a heat lamp with voltage range 220-240.
I believe in Europe regular voltage is 220. They did not mention
exact color temperature. They used the term "colour: Infra-red"
That bulbrite bulb listed color temprature as 2700 K.
I think your bulb is very similar to bulbrite one. But you can
ask them about the exact color. My only concern is the high wattage.
I never used any bulb of that much watt.
I do not know if you need special wiring or holder for high wattage bulbs.
I think the advantage of having two 250 bulb is that you can
use one if you feel like two bulbs are generating too much heat or too much light
is draining vitamin A.

loess

Mittir said:
Their description is bit confusing. All the heat lamps i have checked has
130 volt, this is the reason bulb emits more red and infra red light.
Extra infra-red light provides the heat. 130 volt incandescent has
slightly better features than 120 volt one. RP mentioned that 130 volt
has very little blue and ultraviolet. My understanding is that the amount
of blue and ultraviolet also depends largely on the color temperature of
the incandescent bulb. That GE bulb has color temperature of 2700 K
and the charts i have seen for 2700 have very little blue or ultraviolet.
I think this particular bulb is very good for light therapy.
I personally use two 2700 K regular voltage incandescent bulb.

Thank you Mittir, very helpful to have confirmation that the regular 120V incandescents are effective. For future reference, I just now ran across this thread comparing 120V vs. 130V incandescent bulbs which was quite instructive.

dd99

I'm tempted to order the BR40 bulb Mittir mentioned from Amazon US - but I know so little about electricity etc, I'm not sure it'll work in the UK!

jyb

Nstocks said:
Just chiming in here from the UK. Has the consensus found that these are one of the best options for those in the UK?

http://www.bltdirect.com/375-watt-infra ... nbsp-clear

(I have a 150w infrared light but I don't think that's very powerful)

Seems like a regular infrared plus normal voltage. So not very useful. Maybe if you had many of these? I'm not sure. I think these summer days the sun would be more effective.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals