Removal of excess iron increases Vitamin D status

Jamsey

Wanted to shout out Elephanto for posting this study in another thread, but I thought I’d give it it’s own post.

“The mean serum 25-OHD levels in the two groups with hemochromatosis and hepatic damage were significantly lower than the value in the group with normal hepatic architecture, p less than 0.05.”

“Serum 25-OHD levels in individual patients were inversely related to the size of body iron stores as measured by exchangeable body iron, r = -0.64, or serum ferritin, r = -0.47, p less than 0.05.”

“In 15 patients removal of excess body iron by venesection therapy produced a significant increase in the mean serum 25-OHD from 20 ng/ml to 30 ng/ml, p less than 0.05…The results reveal that the low serum 25-OHD concentration in patients with hemochromatosis is directly related to the extent of iron loading and it is improved by venesection therapy.”

Ismail

Wanted to shout out Elephanto for posting this study in another thread, but I thought I’d give it it’s own post.

“The mean serum 25-OHD levels in the two groups with hemochromatosis and hepatic damage were significantly lower than the value in the group with normal hepatic architecture, p less than 0.05.”

“Serum 25-OHD levels in individual patients were inversely related to the size of body iron stores as measured by exchangeable body iron, r = -0.64, or serum ferritin, r = -0.47, p less than 0.05.”

“In 15 patients removal of excess body iron by venesection therapy produced a significant increase in the mean serum 25-OHD from 20 ng/ml to 30 ng/ml, p less than 0.05…The results reveal that the low serum 25-OHD concentration in patients with hemochromatosis is directly related to the extent of iron loading and it is improved by venesection therapy.”
Assuming venesection therapy is similar to (if not the same as) cupping therapy? 🙄🤷‍♂️

lvysaur

Cholecalciferol did NOTHING for my vitamin D status, even at 15,000 IU daily
Calcitriol however, "forced" it up

I feel good with low vitamin D, so I just assume I'm the low D-storage-protein phenotype

My Ferritin is normal, so this means it's not hemochromatosis for me right? Hemos have high ferritin?
Also, my D status went up after taking Calcitriol, and the study says that "iron loaded" subjects had the same Calcitriol level as controls

Last edited:
OP
J

Jamsey

Cholecalciferol did NOTHING for my vitamin D status, even at 15,000 IU daily
Calcitriol however, "forced" it up

I feel good with low vitamin D, so I just assume I'm the low D-storage-protein phenotype

My Ferritin is normal, so this means it's not hemochromatosis for me right? Hemos have high ferritin?
Also, my D status went up after taking Calcitriol, and the study says that "iron loaded" subjects had the same Calcitriol level as controls
I’m not sure of your situation. If you wanted to test this, you could test your vitamin d status before and after a blood donation.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals