Severe Acne From Red Light

Sugar Ray 2

It's a been a few months since the outbreak, and I have gone on to experience hair loss on my chin and jaw and severe inflammatory acne which doesn't go away. I was experiencing an increase in spots when I started using red light but I overdosed on one occasion where I had it pointed at my hair for roughly 10 mins, and then I woke up the next day with a massive breakout.

I haven't had acne since I was 15 and I'm now 30. I only ever used it 1-2 mins on my face and 5 mins on my hair every other day. I have long ceased using red light but my entire lower third of face remains a warzone, and it constantly stings and I feel shooting pains. This has been ongoing since the breakout back in May with no signs of clearing up. How can I solve this?

Jem Oz

It's got something to do with Vit A from memory..... if you do a search, I'm sure this topic has come up before. Ray himself experienced it I believe.

Soren

Forum Supporter
Red light greatly increases the bodies need for Vitamin A.

OP
S

Sugar Ray 2

I already take multivitamins which includes Vitamin A. Am I supposed to take take it in another form?

Lolinaa

I already take multivitamins which includes Vitamin A. Am I supposed to take take it in another form?

Its better the oil form apply on the skin or eat liver.

Be careful with red light, never overdo it. On a side note, its helping me with my skin right now.

magnesiumania

I’d never heard this. Is there anywhere I can read more about this connection? Thanks.
All i know is that retinol binds to all opsins which ofc include the receptors for red light whatever Opsin they function with.

Goobz

Thanks. I think opsins are only found in the eye, and had read that red light had nothing to do with them, but instead worked via a different mechanism

magnesiumania

Thanks. I think opsins are only found in the eye, and had read that red light had nothing to do with them, but instead worked via a different mechanism
No no thats only the opsins weve known about for decades found in rods and cones. Either melanopsin or neuropsin (or both) are found in the skin.

mrchibbs

Its better the oil form apply on the skin or eat liver.

Be careful with red light, never overdo it. On a side note, its helping me with my skin right now.

Honestly let's not try to be overly careful here. There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing lots of red light therapy.
Sure there's diminished returns but there isn't anything to be ''careful'' about, it's not dangerous at all. It's basically
10-20 minutes a day is a good habit to have. Head, face, neck, chest, gonads are some very useful spots to shine the light.

OP needs to look at other factors, like the vitamin A topically but most important liver like @Lolinaa mentioned. In summer generally there is an increased need for vitamin A with light exposure and elevated vitamin D levels.

Red light increase the mitochondrial enzyme cytochrome c oxidase, it promotes life. In fact red light is a form of therapy for acne, it has antibacterial properties on the skin. It's not causing your acne, get some liver and sunshine and it will improve rapidly.

Lolinaa

Honestly let's not try to be overly careful here. There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing lots of red light therapy.
Sure there's diminished returns but there isn't anything to be ''careful'' about, it's not dangerous at all. It's basically
10-20 minutes a day is a good habit to have. Head, face, neck, chest, gonads are some very useful spots to shine the light.

OP needs to look at other factors, like the vitamin A topically but most important liver like @Lolinaa mentioned. In summer generally there is an increased need for vitamin A with light exposure and elevated vitamin D levels.

Red light increase the mitochondrial enzyme cytochrome c oxidase, it promotes life. In fact red light is a form of therapy for acne, it has antibacterial properties on the skin. It's not causing your acne, get some liver and sunshine and it will improve rapidly.

If you read in the forum lots of members have bad reactions from red light. It can even have the reverse effect. Nothing is good in excess and it depends of the power of your device as well.

I have the beurer and trust me I will never do 20 minutes straight (maybe 5 for the face, 5 chest, 5 back and 5 other parts of the body).

Birdie

Ray Peat has said that vitamin A should be taken in a ratio of 5:1 with the amount of D you are getting.
I can remember his being asked about acne and his advising vitamin A.

The idea of great reduction in vitamin A is not at all advice given by Ray.
I agree with others who recommended you do a search on acne and vitamin A. I would go to raypeat.com.

And vitamin A from eating liver is part of Ray's recommendations if you are interested in following his advice.
Just keep reading and things will start to fall together. It's a slow process imo.

magnesiumania

Theres not much red in the natural spectrum miday i think, so possibly it can creat circadian mismatch. I use it only in the morning but i also go outside first so i consider the device a supplement.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals