Shawn Baker still seems to be thriving on Carnivore

GreekDemiGod

Shawn Baker, for me, looks the least healthy from all of them. When I listen to him speak, its like somebody hit him with a hammer on the head. He just speaks in cirlces and never gets to any meaningfull point. And yeah, his is missing a part of his eyebrows. That is a clear sign of hypothyroidism, probably even hypogonadal. His normal speaking voice sounds raspy and depressed somehow. Another sign of hypothyroidism or something else going wrong.
He does seem to be quite energetic and full of vitality. How could he be able to lift that heavy and do all that aerobic exercise if he were hypothyroid?

Bozidar

Forum Supporter
He does seem to be quite energetic and full of vitality. How could he be able to lift that heavy and do all that aerobic exercise if he were hypothyroid?
Dude, he is missing a third of his eyebrows. Xd
Look at this:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW2FrcnXNJQ

Classical sign of hypothyroid.
And his voice. There is something going on there.
And I dont know is it just me but he is so boring to listen to. Its like his head is somwhere in the clouds, spaced out. He never makes a point of what he is speaking.
He is alive and ok, but is he thriving? I dont think so... He could do better. With or without carbs, there is something going on there...

Sampa

His body composition (muscle volume) seems unlikely to achieve with a no carb diet at his age, unless someone use steroids and hgh at reasonable dosages.

Brundle

In addition to the other criticisms, why is his head so small proportionate to the rest of his body?

And I think Danny Roddy once used Shawn as an example of zero carbs making someone grouchy and quick to anger. An experience Danny himself reportedly had on the diet.

Bozidar

Forum Supporter
His body composition (muscle volume) seems unlikely to achieve with a no carb diet at his age, unless someone use steroids and hgh at reasonable dosages.
It is also possible that he is not even in ketosis all that much cause he is eating huge amounts of protein which converts to glucose. He probably has a fair bit of insulin spike.

shanny

Forum Supporter
Its like his head is somwhere in the clouds, spaced out. He never makes a point of what he is speaking.
I notice this as well with a lot of the carnivore crowd. It's also a pretty consistent personality type. A lot of them are highly competitive athletes that became dr's/medical professionals. It's no doubt that carnivore works for them because their lives are full of stress, cortisol and overworking themselves. Speaking from experience and previously having a severely down-regulated metabolism from this very lifestyle, I think it works for them as far as digestion and getting some nutrients from their food, but I don't think they are thriving. Much like other's have indicated, this looks/presents like a hypothyroid state.

This is a good interview addressing the subject:

View: https://youtu.be/k_LFfSyUADQ

Orome

Forum Supporter
The guy looks quite good for his age - but that's it. Except for his muscles there is nothing special about him (sorry Shawn). I know a ton of people in his age group who look like him or even younger / healthier. And these people live on the standard western diet.
And say what you want about carnivore - it's well superior to vegetarien or vegan. If he has a good calcium source he can mitigate a lot of damage.
Why are you surprised?
There are countless success stories for carnivore, even more then for keto and probably any other diet intervention.
The "pro metabolic diet" on the other hand has barely any success stories even amongst it's most devoted fans.
It all sounds great and is very interesting, but the success rate seems abysmal.
Ray Peat and his ideas have transformed my life. I am a better person in almost every aspect (physically, mentally & also career wise). From lying freezing under my blanket even in summer time I am now sleeping without anything & feeling my heart beat while maintaining ~37°C / 98,6°F body temperature and I am just feeling good.

1690492437783.png

OP
Greyfox

Greyfox

I notice this as well with a lot of the carnivore crowd. It's also a pretty consistent personality type. A lot of them are highly competitive athletes that became dr's/medical professionals. It's no doubt that carnivore works for them because their lives are full of stress, cortisol and overworking themselves. Speaking from experience and previously having a severely down-regulated metabolism from this very lifestyle, I think it works for them as far as digestion and getting some nutrients from their food, but I don't think they are thriving. Much like other's have indicated, this looks/presents like a hypothyroid state.

This is a good interview addressing the subject:

View: https://youtu.be/k_LFfSyUADQ

I actually watched that interview yesterday. I watch anything Georgi is in since he's always the most compelling. He's much like Ray in the way that he seems to have quite a well thought out answer to any question asked of him. Doesn't matter how many questions he's asked, he has an answer that people can follow up on. Anyway Chaffee did seem to agree with a lot of Georgi's points.
I hope that beauty is getting enough milk and orange juice.

Nonsense comparison. Heart palpitation is an actual health issue. Sugar addiction is a made up thing like oxygen addiction.
I agree with the sugar addiction being made up but all I was saying is you were looking for something and you found it and can back up your bias.

He’s likely on TRT and HGH. Most other keto/primal influencers are like Mark Sisson. Fitness influencers claiming to be on keto or vegan diets usually don’t consider those to be steroids. They consider them to be medical treatments, which fair enough I guess TRT at least could be considered. Peat people also don’t consider thyroid and pro hormones or testosterone to be “steroids” also fair, but they are often honest more honest about it.

This is the "dirty secret" of all fitness influencers... they're actually all just bodybuilders, doing essentially the same things: a highly regimented diet where everything is planned and weighed out, exercise/lifting as a full time job with an otherwise low stress life, and steroids. Their ideas are then evaluated based on their physique, when there is really no connection there. Anyone can get an old Vince Gironda bodybuilder book, follow the crazy protocols like your life depends on it, and look like a Marvel Superhero.

I've met Mark Sisson, he is a really friendly guy, and his company has been game changing in creating low PUFA foods that you can buy at a normal grocery store. But you're not going to look like he does at 70 years old without loads of supplemental T, and literally making diet and exercise a full time job. These people also have a team of professional coaches, nutritionists, and chefs. To be fair, Sisson is totally upfront about all of this... everything he does personally, including TRT, he has said publicly or shared on his website. Unlike say, Liver King, who was marketing based on his physique and lying about steroid use.

Last edited:

Peatful

Mark, Shawn, Jeff Lippard, Liver King, Paul Saladino
Any of these guys

They have disordered eating and exercise compulsion

They aren’t healthy imo
And speak with such knowledge and authority

Please…

Yeah
I have a C7 herniated disc
But
Im exercising safety
Can’t loose my mass can I?

It’s socially acceptable in a vapid or shallow society
Especially in the smaller community of health influencers

Enjoy your food
Live your life
Get off the internet
Don’t outsource your health

Bozidar

Forum Supporter
Seems like carnivores are just like vegans.
You catch vegans with a steak in their mouths and you catch carnivores with a banana in their mouths. Both trying to spit it out as soon as possible and say: I didn't do it, I didn't do it!!
😂

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals