Simple Granola

Jib

4-5 cups of organic rolled oats*
1/2 cup hydrogenated coconut oil*
1/2 cup honey
3/4 teaspoon fine salt
350F for ~40 minutes

First, preheat your oven to 350 F. Then line a baking dish with parchment paper. Pour in the oats, then add the salt and mix by hand thoroughly. Don't get lazy on this step or you might end up with quite a salty surprise when it's done.

Melt the coconut oil in a pan. I just melt a bunch of it and pour it out into a measuring cup. Any excess goes back in the jar. After you pour the coconut oil over the oats, then add your honey to the measuring cup, and repeat.

Mix very well by hand. You're gonna need to rinse your hands off after this.

Once everything's evenly mixed, put it in the oven. I like to take it out after about 15 minutes and give everything a good stir with a wooden spoon to make sure it bakes evenly. What you're looking for is a very, very light golden brown. You really do not want to overdo this, and it can make or break the batch.

I've found 35 to 40 minutes to be the sweet spot, with taking them out of the oven to stir at least two times inbetween to keep things even.

*Use 4.5 or 5 cups of oats for a little lighter of a mix. This is my personal favorite. I was doing 4 cups for months, and while it's very good, I like the slightly more subtle, natural taste of using more oats. I ordered mine through "allbulkfoods.com," and got a 50lb bag of organic oats.

*I got my hydrogenated coconut oil by calling Welch, Holme and Clark on the phone, giving my info, and placing an order. It came in a huge 5 gallon pail. The texture is pretty incredible, reminds me of ice cream, and while it isn't required for this recipe, I do wonder if part of why it tastes so good is because I use hydrogenated coconut oil. They give you a batch analysis when you buy it and you can see the exact breakdown of fatty acids as well, which is pretty awesome. I can't recommend them highly enough and I would urge anyone on this forum to place an order with them. Their customer service is excellent and I couldn't ask for a better product.

All that being said, I know oats aren't necessarily "Peat-approved," but I've felt great and had very good reactions to adding small amounts of this granola to my diet. It's perfect to have on hand for snacking. It tastes great and the hydrogenated coconut oil should help ward off any latent PUFA in the oats. The shelf life of this granola should be very long, but I've never had a chance to find out as each batch is gone pretty quickly....the people I live with are big fans and I've jokingly started referring to myself as the "granola slave" because I bake it so often now.

4-5 cups of organic rolled oats*
1/2 cup hydrogenated coconut oil*
1/2 cup honey
3/4 teaspoon fine salt
350F for ~40 minutes

First, preheat your oven to 350 F. Then line a baking dish with parchment paper. Pour in the oats, then add the salt and mix by hand thoroughly. Don't get lazy on this step or you might end up with quite a salty surprise when it's done.

Melt the coconut oil in a pan. I just melt a bunch of it and pour it out into a measuring cup. Any excess goes back in the jar. After you pour the coconut oil over the oats, then add your honey to the measuring cup, and repeat.

Mix very well by hand. You're gonna need to rinse your hands off after this.

Once everything's evenly mixed, put it in the oven. I like to take it out after about 15 minutes and give everything a good stir with a wooden spoon to make sure it bakes evenly. What you're looking for is a very, very light golden brown. You really do not want to overdo this, and it can make or break the batch.

I've found 35 to 40 minutes to be the sweet spot, with taking them out of the oven to stir at least two times inbetween to keep things even.

*Use 4.5 or 5 cups of oats for a little lighter of a mix. This is my personal favorite. I was doing 4 cups for months, and while it's very good, I like the slightly more subtle, natural taste of using more oats. I ordered mine through "allbulkfoods.com," and got a 50lb bag of organic oats.

*I got my hydrogenated coconut oil by calling Welch, Holme and Clark on the phone, giving my info, and placing an order. It came in a huge 5 gallon pail. The texture is pretty incredible, reminds me of ice cream, and while it isn't required for this recipe, I do wonder if part of why it tastes so good is because I use hydrogenated coconut oil. They give you a batch analysis when you buy it and you can see the exact breakdown of fatty acids as well, which is pretty awesome. I can't recommend them highly enough and I would urge anyone on this forum to place an order with them. Their customer service is excellent and I couldn't ask for a better product.

All that being said, I know oats aren't necessarily "Peat-approved," but I've felt great and had very good reactions to adding small amounts of this granola to my diet. It's perfect to have on hand for snacking. It tastes great and the hydrogenated coconut oil should help ward off any latent PUFA in the oats. The shelf life of this granola should be very long, but I've never had a chance to find out as each batch is gone pretty quickly....the people I live with are big fans and I've jokingly started referring to myself as the "granola slave" because I bake it so often now.
I make my granola bars with sprouted oats. Here is a pic of mine!

Attachments

• 20210326_171532.jpg
    20210326_171532.jpg
    501.6 KB · Views: 53
OP
Jib

Jib

I make my granola bars with sprouted oats. Here is a pic of mine!

Those look incredible! Never tried sprouted oats before. Bet those are very good. White chocolate and macadamia is my favorite :eek: Also went through an entire bag of dried pineapple the other day!

Those look incredible! Never tried sprouted oats before. Bet those are very good. White chocolate and macadamia is my favorite :eek: Also went through an entire bag of dried pineapple the other day!
Oh it is the best combination and they are a little soft and chewy! I love dried pineapple too!

Awesome. I may have to try those. Again, never knew sprouted oats were a thing. I do eat quite a lot of oatmeal regularly so those might be great to try. Also never made granola bars but those looked so good!
Have you heard Ray Peat speak on sprouting grains? Where he does not say anything great about grains he does say that sprouting them sheds their toxic outer shell and make their nutrition more available verses them being an anti-nutrient and carry out more from the body then they went in with.

OP
Jib

Jib

Have you heard Ray Peat speak on sprouting grains? Where he does not say anything great about grains he does say that sprouting them sheds their toxic outer shell and make their nutrition more available verses them being an anti-nutrient and carry out more from the body then they went in with.

Very interesting! I never heard that one. It does corroborate what I've read before. Even if not sprouting, fermenting grains has a very long history, such as in sourdough bread. Deactivating phytic acid is substantial with fermentation though I've also heard that phytic acid can have potential benefits.

Going hard on the masa harina lately. It does seem to be much more digestible though it's technically just pre-cooked with calcium hydroxide and not fermented or sprouted. I do think various levels of processing can go a long way in making grains much more digestible.

I
Very interesting! I never heard that one. It does corroborate what I've read before. Even if not sprouting, fermenting grains has a very long history, such as in sourdough bread. Deactivating phytic acid is substantial with fermentation though I've also heard that phytic acid can have potential benefits.

Going hard on the masa harina lately. It does seem to be much more digestible though it's technically just pre-cooked with calcium hydroxide and not fermented or sprouted. I do think various levels of processing can go a long way in making grains much more digestible.
Don't masa harina offers much nutrition than any other corn, but digestibility with grains is most important, enjoy it and get it out quick! Ray Peat does say that sprouting it turns it into more of a plant than a hard grain.

boris

The nixtamalization process also does more than just soaking or fermenting, it basically predigests it and converts tryptophan into vitamin B for you (so less serotonin) and removes some of the PUFAs. People who ate lots of unnixtamalized corn would get pellagra because of the missing vitamin B, people who ate nixtamalized corn would not get pellagra. It also has lots of calcium thanks to the processing with lime.

Ray Peat: "...the chinese and central and south americans many years ago, the chinese probably 3000 years ago, discovered that if you cook a grain in lye or lime, oxidized calcium compound or potassium hydroxide from ashes of vegetation, those caustic alkalis digest the grain, destroy the things that make it indigestable, turn the potentially toxic balance of amino acids that could create pellagra if you had a corn based diet for example, convert those into vitamins so that tortillas are very rich as a source of calcium and niacin and very easy to digest because the corn and the proteins are partially digested already. So nixtamalized corn, the kind used in hominy tamales and tortillas, is not like any of the other grain starches."

Ray Peat: "...in much of asia and the western hemisphere they would add ashes to the mush/dough, and the ash alkali activates chemical processes that actually increase the niacin value but decrease the tryptohpan, making it a chemically much more nutritious and safe non inflammatory food. ... you can do it with wheat or any grain."

Last edited:
The nixtamalization process also does more than just soaking or fermenting, it basically predigests it and converts tryptophan into vitamin B for you (so less serotonin) and removes some of the PUFAs. People who ate lots of unnixtamalized corn would get pellagra because of the missing vitamin B, people who ate nixtamalized corn would not get pellagra. It also has lots of calcium thanks to the processing with lime.

Ray Peat: "...the chinese and central and south americans many years ago, the chinese probably 3000 years ago, discovered that if you cook a grain in lye or lime, oxidized calcium compound or potassium hydroxide from ashes of vegetation, those caustic alkalis digest the grain, destroy the things that make it indigestable, turn the potentially toxic balance of amino acids that could create pellagra if you had a corn based diet for example, convert those into vitamins so that tortillas are very rich as a source of calcium and niacin and very easy to digest because the corn and the proteins are partillay digested already. So nixtamalized corn, the kind used in hominy tamales and tortillas, is not like any of the other grain starches."

Ray Peat: "...in much of asia and the western hemisphere they would add ashes to the mush/dough, and the ash alkali activates chemical processes that actually increase the niacin value but decrease the tryptohpan, making it a chemically much more nutritious and safe non inflammatory food. ... you can do it with wheat or any grain."
I am with you boris, on what Ray Peat says about masa being the least harmful of all the grains! I am never without masa tortillas or a bag of masa for pancakes and other tasty things. I only use it as a splurge though cause it is still considered a starch. I know all too well how too many of those "peatier" spurges play out after awhile. With that being said, here is a pic of my masa pancakes!

Attachments

• 20210108_131404.jpg
    20210108_131404.jpg
    662.1 KB · Views: 24
Here is the recipe for the pancakes. For the syrup I just boiled equal parts sugar and water and added orange peels and cooked it till it got a little syrupy. It thickens more as it cools.

boris

@Rinse & rePeat thanks, I'll try them out! The orange syrup sound great too. I used to do a lot of infused simple syrups in the past, I have to get back to that :). That orange syrup sounds like it could be tasty to sweeten some milk, too.

@Rinse & rePeat thanks, I'll try them out! The orange syrup sound great too. I used to do a lot of infused simple syrups in the past, I have to get back to that :). That orange syrup sounds like it could be tasty to sweeten some milk, too.
I love it to make cocktails and as a sweetener for lemonade too!

Lollipop2

Here is my homemade recipe. You can substitute the olive oil for MCT or Coconut Oil. You can also leave out the pecans or use macadamia nuts - that is my one cheat treat as I love pecans.

Lisa’s Homemade Granola

Ingredients:

*4 cups Bob Red Mills Organic old-fashioned rolled oats
*2 cups raw Pecans or Macadamia nuts
*1 teaspoon Real Kosher sea salt
*½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
*1/4 cup olive oil
*4 tablespoons melted butter
*1/2 cup maple syrup
*2 teaspoons vanilla extract
*Additional mix-ins after baked and cooled: ½ cup white chocolate pieces

Instructions:

*Preheat oven to 350 degrees
*Mix oats, sea salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl and stir thoroughly.
*Mix in pecans and stir.
*Add in olive oil, butter, maple syrup, and vanilla extract and mix well.
*Place the mixture on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Try to keep the mix level and evenly distributed.
*Bake at 350 degrees for 24 min. Stir 12 min into the baking and place back into oven for another 12min. I had to adjust this for an electric oven and higher altitude - 13 min then stir and 13 min more.
*Take out of oven and leave in pan for 45 minutes to cool. **This is an important step the granola will continue to cook and crisp up. I usually leave for a few hours.
*If desired, once cooled, add chopped white chocolate pieces.
*Store in an airtight glass container. Lasts for 2 weeks.

Here is my homemade recipe. You can substitute the olive oil for MCT or Coconut Oil. You can also leave out the pecans or use macadamia nuts - that is my one cheat treat as I love pecans.

Lisa’s Homemade Granola

Ingredients:

*4 cups Bob Red Mills Organic old-fashioned rolled oats
*2 cups raw Pecans or Macadamia nuts
*1 teaspoon Real Kosher sea salt
*½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
*1/4 cup olive oil
*4 tablespoons melted butter
*1/2 cup maple syrup
*2 teaspoons vanilla extract
*Additional mix-ins after baked and cooled: ½ cup white chocolate pieces

Instructions:

*Preheat oven to 350 degrees
*Mix oats, sea salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl and stir thoroughly.
*Mix in pecans and stir.
*Add in olive oil, butter, maple syrup, and vanilla extract and mix well.
*Place the mixture on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Try to keep the mix level and evenly distributed.
*Bake at 350 degrees for 24 min. Stir 12 min into the baking and place back into oven for another 12min. I had to adjust this for an electric oven and higher altitude - 13 min then stir and 13 min more.
*Take out of oven and leave in pan for 45 minutes to cool. **This is an important step the granola will continue to cook and crisp up. I usually leave for a few hours.
*If desired, once cooled, add chopped white chocolate pieces.
*Store in an airtight glass container. Lasts for 2 weeks.
Looks good Lollipop2! My recipe makes chewy ones, and I have been wanting a crispy one. Thank you!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals