Simple Syrup And Salt Are Incredible Additions To The Diet

• Thread starter Deleted member 5487
  • Start date

Runenight201

Sugar is like rocket fuel. Too much without dense animal nutrition and the system becomes wrung out and weak, but when all the building blocks are in place (sat fats, vitamins, minerals, proteins), than sugar boosts the body to the highest energy state possible. After feeling this, food cravings realign to support re-entering that high energy state.

Fat alone cannot even come close to that energy state.

Many fruits just aren’t ripe enough to support entering there. I think in an ideal world, we would be eating the ripest, sweetest fruits ever, and then simple syrup would be unnecessary.

In this unideal world though, the simple syrup is magical. I feel my brain light up in areas that have been untouched in a fruit juice and animal diet. I thought maple syrup would equal it, but it doesn’t. There’s something to the simple syrup that boosts the body into the highest energy state possible. Even my apple juice berry smoothie alone isn’t sweet enough to reach there. The extra sugars in the syrup are necessary.

The sugars don’t provide nutrients for bodily growth and maintenance, they are just raw energy for keeping the body and mind sharp and energized. Eventually dense solid foods are needed to provide the building blocks for repair and growth, which is where animal proteins, fats, vegetables, and limited starches come handy.

Cycling between the two creates vigorous health. Giving the body the denser foods when it needs to repair and build, and then adding the rocket fuel for sustained energy until the next call for dense nutrition.

Simple syrup Brazillian edition. Mel de Cana de Açúcar - sugarcane syrup. Goes so good with fried cheese and guava.

https://ru.imgbb.com/

Are we all on a simple syrup bandwagon? I resisted sugar for so long and decided last week to cut out starches, up the sat fats and go crazy on sugar and after so many tries, I am really LOVING it... it is a little embarrassing that I am so HAPPY. geez. For me, Ray Peat and his work always comes through, but lots of times I try out things at the wrong time for my body maybe? Additionally, my idea of strong coffee became a whole different world... all the simple syrup and cream needs strong strong coffee for me, so now I am cold brewing this stuff that looks like mud. I am happy. I am digesting fats way better.... better liver health?

What initiated this foray into simple syrup for me was when I appeared to be getting a stomach flu a week or two ago. I remembered Atom Bergstrom saying to put a ton of sugar into coffee (which he got from Ray Peat). So that's what I did. I put 4 tablespoons of organic cane sugar in my coffee and I felt great at work, didn't feel like eating anything else except for the apple juice that I also had a small craving for. After I got home, I needed protein, but I had no fever or aches and I was ready to start eating normally again.

tomisonbottom

I've been using a lot of refined white sugar for almost 2 years now without any side-effects. I always use at least 400 grams of it per day. I like combining melon juice, apple juice, gelatin, salt and sugar and drinking it hot. That probably breaks the sucrose into free sugars. To complement the refined sugar, I do use a lot of supplements, especially potassium and thiamine. Calories are extremely important, and calories from carbs are particularly good. As long as I make sure to ingest adequate amounts of vitamins and minerals from food and also from supplememts, this amount of sugar doesn't feel excessive at all. I noticed better skin when I started my high sugar regimen. It's probably because of the CO2, which, as Ray said, makes the skin healthy and pink.

Wow, 400 is a lot. What's your bodyweight and activity like?

How much thiamin do you use?

Wow, 400 is a lot. What's your bodyweight and activity like?

How much thiamin do you use?
I weigh about 58 kilograms and my height is about 160-162 cm. I am moderately active: I walk between 40 and 60 minutes per day and also lift some weights( I lift everyday, but only go heavier once or twice a week, always avoiding the eccentric part, so I drop the weights instead of slowly putting them down).

I think my physique is pretty good. Don't have much belly fat, my arms have some muscles, my abs are mostly showing, my chest muscles are well developed, etc. I feel like PUFA avoidance is probably the most importance thing for not gaining excess fat( I think some level of fat is better than being too skinny, and a low PUFA diet makes me maintain my fat mass at a good level, at the same time that I maintain my muscles much more easily.). Also, a big amount of calories are needed to signal the cells that it's okay to ramp up metabolism. By doing that, the body naturally turns towards an anabolic state. When I used to eat very little, I had much more belly fat, and my arms were too thin.

My intake of thiamin isn't super high, but it's much more than people normally get from food alone. I use about 125 mg of thiamin from thiamin HCl. I consider it very important for carbohydrate metabolism and I don't think it's wise to use a lot of white sugar without it. Potassium and magnesium are also very essential for thiamin to work properly.

D

danishispsychic

What initiated this foray into simple syrup for me was when I appeared to be getting a stomach flu a week or two ago. I remembered Atom Bergstrom saying to put a ton of sugar into coffee (which he got from Ray Peat). So that's what I did. I put 4 tablespoons of organic cane sugar in my coffee and I felt great at work, didn't feel like eating anything else except for the apple juice that I also had a small craving for. After I got home, I needed protein, but I had no fever or aches and I was ready to start eating normally again.
Sugar works kind of like an appetite suppressant for me-

D

danishispsychic

Same here. It also works like a digestive aid, which is perhaps why dessert was invented to be eaten after a large meal.
my new peaty fave is whole A2 milk, add 2 shots of nepresso, gelatin, sugar . only once i started added the gelatin it really keeps me going for a long time- no starch cravings , improved mood. so happy no one can stand me :) haha

tomisonbottom

I weigh about 58 kilograms and my height is about 160-162 cm. I am moderately active: I walk between 40 and 60 minutes per day and also lift some weights( I lift everyday, but only go heavier once or twice a week, always avoiding the eccentric part, so I drop the weights instead of slowly putting them down).

I think my physique is pretty good. Don't have much belly fat, my arms have some muscles, my abs are mostly showing, my chest muscles are well developed, etc. I feel like PUFA avoidance is probably the most importance thing for not gaining excess fat( I think some level of fat is better than being too skinny, and a low PUFA diet makes me maintain my fat mass at a good level, at the same time that I maintain my muscles much more easily.). Also, a big amount of calories are needed to signal the cells that it's okay to ramp up metabolism. By doing that, the body naturally turns towards an anabolic state. When I used to eat very little, I had much more belly fat, and my arms were too thin.

My intake of thiamin isn't super high, but it's much more than people normally get from food alone. I use about 125 mg of thiamin from thiamin HCl. I consider it very important for carbohydrate metabolism and I don't think it's wise to use a lot of white sugar without it. Potassium and magnesium are also very essential for thiamin to work properly.

Yeah, that a lot of calories, but the thing is I don't eat very much fat( I'm always between 30 and 50 grams of fat per day, which is just 360 calories on average). I need at least 3000 calories per day to maintain good sleep, muscle mass, mood, etc. So at 400 grams, white sugar is just half of my caloric intake.
My diet currently is melons, apples, red meat, some potatoes, some rice, lots of coke( usually 2 liters per day), a little bit of steamed parsley( for the vitamin K), and gelatin. I put white sugar in gelatin and in juice and do that a few times a day. These foods, altogether, give me, approximately, 600 grams of carbs, 150 grams of protein and 40 grams of fat. .

Super interesting. Thanks for sharing. Not many people like you doing 1/2 their diet in sugar on here. I expected you to say a lot more thiamin than 125 for the whole day.

Noticed you don't do milk or cheese. You're not concerned with your calcium to phosphorus ratio?

Also, don't you get plenty of potassium from juice? Why supplement that?

Super interesting. Thanks for sharing. Not many people like you doing 1/2 their diet in sugar on here. I expected you to say a lot more thiamin than 125 for the whole day.

Noticed you don't do milk or cheese. You're not concerned with your calcium to phosphorus ratio?

Also, don't you get plenty of potassium from juice? Why supplement that?
No problem. Yeah, aside from haidut, few people use a lot of white sugar. I tried much more thiamin some time ago(300 mg per day), but it was not being good for my sleep. I think I will increase it over time, though, since even 125mg used to be too much( I could only go as high as 100mg per day), so slowly adding a little bit every few weeks or months can work. Also, the amount of thiamin in fruits isn't very large. For example, if you eat enough melons to get 100 grams of sugar, you're gonna get 0,5 mg of thiamin, so extrapolating that to 600 grams of sugar, only 3 mg of B1 would suffice. But more can have therapeutic effects( increased CO2).

Dairy products don't seem to digest well for me. I did a blood test 4 or 5 years ago that showed that I had a mild milk allergy, so that's probably why. That means beef and gelatin are my main protein sources instead of milk or cheese. Also, I like that beef has creatine in it, so that takes the burden of producing my own off the organs. Also, if I recall correctly, one of the functions of the methyl groups in the body is to produce creatine and choline, so if one ingests a lot of niacinamide( which is my case), then it's worthwile to see whether your endogenous production of these things are doing fine. Regarding the calcium to phosphorous ratio, I use a calcium supplement to adjust the ratio to a more favourable one. I use calcium citrate currently, since it digests so well and causes no constipation. I actually was concerned whether I was ingesting enough phosphorous( which isn't a common concern, since dairy consumption is very common here, and dairy is a great source of this mineral), since not only do I ingest a lot of fructose, which increases phosphorous excretion, but also a lot of niacinamide, which lowers blood phosphorous. Because of that, I decided to try using a little potassium phosphate a few times a day, and I think I was right: the next night, I slept much more easily and the sleep was more restful.

From fruit juice, I get about 3 or 4 grams of potassium, and from meat I get about 1,5 grams, so without supplementation my potassium intake is around 4,5 and 5,5 grams, which isn't a small amount, but when I looked at the ratio in fruits, some of them have more than 3 grams of potassium per 100 grams of sugar( papayas are especially high, with 4,3 grams per 100 grams of sugar). If I were to mimic that, I would need more than 18 grams of potassium a day, since I ingest 600 grams of carbs. But, at least right now, I don't want to venture that high. So I decided to mimic the ratio of fruits that are more moderate, such as apples and oranges. That means my total potassium ingestion is always between 6 grams and 10 grams a day. I was inspired by @Amazoniac 's posts on potassium importance and safety. Also, Max Gerson was also a big fan of potassium, from fruits and also from supplementation, I think that also had an influence on me.

tomisonbottom

No problem. Yeah, aside from haidut, few people use a lot of white sugar. I tried much more thiamin some time ago(300 mg per day), but it was not being good for my sleep. I think I will increase it over time, though, since even 125mg used to be too much( I could only go as high as 100mg per day), so slowly adding a little bit every few weeks or months can work. Also, the amount of thiamin in fruits isn't very large. For example, if you eat enough melons to get 100 grams of sugar, you're gonna get 0,5 mg of thiamin, so extrapolating that to 600 grams of sugar, only 3 mg of B1 would suffice. But more can have therapeutic effects( increased CO2).

Dairy products don't seem to digest well for me. I did a blood test 4 or 5 years ago that showed that I had a mild milk allergy, so that's probably why. That means beef and gelatin are my main protein sources instead of milk or cheese. Also, I like that beef has creatine in it, so that takes the burden of producing my own off the organs. Also, if I recall correctly, one of the functions of the methyl groups in the body is to produce creatine and choline, so if one ingests a lot of niacinamide( which is my case), then it's worthwile to see whether your endogenous production of these things are doing fine. Regarding the calcium to phosphorous ratio, I use a calcium supplement to adjust the ratio to a more favourable one. I use calcium citrate currently, since it digests so well and causes no constipation. I actually was concerned whether I was ingesting enough phosphorous( which isn't a common concern, since dairy consumption is very common here, and dairy is a great source of this mineral), since not only do I ingest a lot of fructose, which increases phosphorous excretion, but also a lot of niacinamide, which lowers blood phosphorous. Because of that, I decided to try using a little potassium phosphate a few times a day, and I think I was right: the next night, I slept much more easily and the sleep was more restful.

From fruit juice, I get about 3 or 4 grams of potassium, and from meat I get about 1,5 grams, so without supplementation my potassium intake is around 4,5 and 5,5 grams, which isn't a small amount, but when I looked at the ratio in fruits, some of them have more than 3 grams of potassium per 100 grams of sugar( papayas are especially high, with 4,3 grams per 100 grams of sugar). If I were to mimic that, I would need more than 18 grams of potassium a day, since I ingest 600 grams of carbs. But, at least right now, I don't want to venture that high. So I decided to mimic the ratio of fruits that are more moderate, such as apples and oranges. That means my total potassium ingestion is always between 6 grams and 10 grams a day. I was inspired by @Amazoniac 's posts on potassium importance and safety. Also, Max Gerson was also a big fan of potassium, from fruits and also from supplementation, I think that also had an influence on me.

Gotcha. So you're trying to replicate fruit with sugar + potassium. Sorry if you've already explained this already elsewhere, but why not just do more fruit or juice instead of sugar?

About the calcium; not sure if you're aware but I think Peat has said not to use calcium citrate because it can actually leach calcium and make things worse and that calcium glycinate or calcium carbonate is preferred.

Also, how much niacinamide are you doing?

tomisonbottom

Sugar is like rocket fuel. Too much without dense animal nutrition and the system becomes wrung out and weak, but when all the building blocks are in place (sat fats, vitamins, minerals, proteins), than sugar boosts the body to the highest energy state possible. After feeling this, food cravings realign to support re-entering that high energy state.

Fat alone cannot even come close to that energy state.

Many fruits just aren’t ripe enough to support entering there. I think in an ideal world, we would be eating the ripest, sweetest fruits ever, and then simple syrup would be unnecessary.

In this unideal world though, the simple syrup is magical. I feel my brain light up in areas that have been untouched in a fruit juice and animal diet. I thought maple syrup would equal it, but it doesn’t. There’s something to the simple syrup that boosts the body into the highest energy state possible. Even my apple juice berry smoothie alone isn’t sweet enough to reach there. The extra sugars in the syrup are necessary.

The sugars don’t provide nutrients for bodily growth and maintenance, they are just raw energy for keeping the body and mind sharp and energized. Eventually dense solid foods are needed to provide the building blocks for repair and growth, which is where animal proteins, fats, vegetables, and limited starches come handy.

Cycling between the two creates vigorous health. Giving the body the denser foods when it needs to repair and build, and then adding the rocket fuel for sustained energy until the next call for dense nutrition.

This makes sense to me.

What do your macros & diet look like?

Gotcha. So you're trying to replicate fruit with sugar + potassium. Sorry if you've already explained this already elsewhere, but why not just do more fruit or juice instead of sugar?

About the calcium; not sure if you're aware but I think Peat has said not to use calcium citrate because it can actually leach calcium and make things worse and that calcium glycinate or calcium carbonate is preferred.

Also, how much niacinamide are you doing?
I would prefer doing that, if I could find cheap, quality fruit all the time, but that isn't the case. I happen to live in a state where many things are very expensive. Rio de Janeiro is a tourist spot, and to increase profit, the products are sold more expensively, to get more money from foreigners. That includes the prices of fruits, unfortunately. In the northeast states though, food is very cheap, and if you cook and prepare your food at home, you can eat a lot of good food for much less money.

Yeah, I heard Peat say that, but this is the best I can go for currently, since calcium carbonate was pretty harsh to my gut. Also, I ingest a lot of bicarbonates, so maybe the increased CO2 compensates for the citric acid.

I'm doing 625 mg of niacinamide per day in 3 dosages. It keeps my metabolism up and helps with burning carbs all the way to CO2.

Btw, sorry for not writing the whole answer at once, the site temporarily blocked me from doing anything on this thread and I couldn't fix it.

Last edited:

Runenight201

This makes sense to me.

What do your macros & diet look like?

Diet is almost perfected but still ran into some problems today so I think I need to increase drastically my steamed vegetable intake.

Tomorrow I plan on eating:

White fish, chicken thighs, butter, steamed broccoli, steamed celery, mushrooms, tomato sauce on veggies, apple juice/berry/sugar smoothie, oj, honey water, coffee, grape juice.

We’ll see how it goes. I ate too much meat today and got constipated. The high amount of sugar wasn’t enough to force bowel movements, and then I became stressed, urinating frequently, and hungry. Since I knew my body couldnt handle any more meat and more sugar/fruit would further stress and cause more urination, my natural conclusion was that I needed more steamed vegetable fibers and nutrition to complete my health puzzle. I had a ton of broccoli with tomato sauce and it tasted absolutely delicious. Just was missing some celery and perhaps some mushrooms. Trying to brainstorm what other veggies might be good for my steamed salad... going to start including heaping servings of veggies with my meat meals

Last edited:

tomisonbottom

Diet is almost perfected but still ran into some problems today so I think I need to increase drastically my steamed vegetable intake.

Tomorrow I plan on eating:

White fish, chicken thighs, butter, steamed broccoli, steamed celery, mushrooms, tomato sauce on veggies, apple juice/berry/sugar smoothie, oj, honey water, coffee, grape juice.

We’ll see how it goes. I ate too much meat today and got constipated. The high amount of sugar wasn’t enough to force bowel movements, and then I became stressed, urinating frequently, and hungry. Since I knew my body couldnt handle any more meat and more sugar/fruit would further stress and cause more urination, my natural conclusion was that I needed more steamed vegetable fibers and nutrition to complete my health puzzle. I had a ton of broccoli with tomato sauce and it tasted absolutely delicious. Just was missing some celery and perhaps some mushrooms. Trying to brainstorm what other veggies might be good for my steamed salad... going to start including heaping servings of veggies with my meat meals

Why not use cascara, salt, coconut oil and the carrot instead thyroid suppressive cruciferous veggies like broccoli?
Enough salt or cascara will always fix constipation.

opson123

I probably have fructose malabsorption, because even moderate amounts of free fructose like in simple syrup or honey gives me burning and loose stools. Sugar in hot coffee, sugar added to hot lactose free milk etc. With sugar added to cold milk I only get bloated and gassy, but I don't get loose and burning stools. IIRC pboy talked about this, fructose needs to be bonded to glucose in order to be absorbed well like in sucrose. A moderate amount of free fructose is absorbed in most individuals, but larger amounts aren't. The healthier one is, and probably your genetic makeup affects how much is absorbed without issues.

So with free fructose, a lot of it ends up in colon and gives you loose stools. Last time I tried sugar in hot milk or coffee was a few years ago so maybe things have changed though, will probably give it a try again.

Runenight201

Why not use cascara, salt, coconut oil and the carrot instead thyroid suppressive cruciferous veggies like broccoli?
Enough salt or cascara will always fix constipation.

Cuz I liked how it tasted.

My veggie cravings aren’t frequent, and when they come I just indulge. It’s not like I’m downing pounds of them a day.

Im finding that it’s much better to avoid constipation in the first place then rely on anti-constipation measures to begin with.

Muscle meat hands down constipates me, which can be offset with sufficient fat, but I’m wondering if I can just get all my animal nutrition from egg yolks and goats milk instead...

tara

My veggie cravings aren’t frequent, and when they come I just indulge. It’s not like I’m downing pounds of them a day.
:)
Me too.
I used to eat greens as a reluctant chore. Now I only eat them when I have an appetite for them, and enjoy them. Broccoli is delicious now and then.

Im finding that it’s much better to avoid constipation in the first place then rely on anti-constipation measures to begin with.

Muscle meat hands down constipates me, which can be offset with sufficient fat, but I’m wondering if I can just get all my animal nutrition from egg yolks and goats milk instead...
Are you supplementing magnesium? I also get constipation if I eat muscle meat without using magnesium.

Goat milk and eggs are great as sources of nutrition, but from the top of my head, getting b12, carnosine and creatine without meat would be hard. Aside from these nutrients, I think you're good.

Runenight201

Are you supplementing magnesium? I also get constipation if I eat muscle meat without using magnesium.

Goat milk and eggs are great as sources of nutrition, but from the top of my head, getting b12, carnosine and creatine without meat would be hard. Aside from these nutrients, I think you're good.

I just made a post in another thread but eating sufficient fat with my meat avoids the constipation issue. Bacon is currently my most positive form of animal flesh to consume.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals