Sodium deficiency and replenishment - bodily responses

nickvdg

I love to have a coffee after dinner. with that, I eat something sweet (pastry). I love it. however, I really notice that if I do not have sufficient salt before or after this,
the following happens:
- burping
- blurry sight
- drowsiness

I always eat something salty now and everything mentioned above disappears. do you guys experience this as well? not craving salt, but
as you eat it, many issues resolve. It also feels as if I am overdoing the salt (thats what my tastebuds tell me), but at the same time, it really
depends on what you eat with the salt. I used to eat a lot of cheese to increase salt intake, but the high fat content leaves me sluggish. now
I look for salty, light snacks, that may contain some PUFA, but I feel a lot better eating this way than the heavy fat-way.
It is worth mentioning that I do heavy labor outside during the day and I drink quite a lot of coffee. I think both of these factors shouldn't be
underestimated and demand a high salt intake (>5gr)

ThinPicking

I love to have a coffee after dinner. with that, I eat something sweet (pastry). I love it. however, I really notice that if I do not have sufficient salt before or after this,
the following happens:
- burping
- blurry sight
- drowsiness

I always eat something salty now and everything mentioned above disappears. do you guys experience this as well? not craving salt, but
as you eat it, many issues resolve. It also feels as if I am overdoing the salt (thats what my tastebuds tell me), but at the same time, it really
depends on what you eat with the salt. I used to eat a lot of cheese to increase salt intake, but the high fat content leaves me sluggish. now
I look for salty, light snacks, that may contain some PUFA, but I feel a lot better eating this way than the heavy fat-way.
It is worth mentioning that I do heavy labor outside during the day and I drink quite a lot of coffee. I think both of these factors shouldn't be
@nickvdg my man, take a look at the following studies.

Proximal, distal and total stomach emptying of a digestible solid meal in normal subjects | The British Journal of Radiology - 'Proximal, distal and total stomach emptying of a digestible solid meal in normal subjects'
Redirecting - 'A stomach road or “Magenstrasse” for gastric emptying'

From these and my own experience, I try to wait at least 30 minutes before drinking anything after eating a solid meal. If I absolutely must, I'll wait at least 10 minutes for 'antral contraction waves' to begin (you can confirm this with a stethoscope, everyone should own one) and then consume the beverage in tiny sips so it travels along the 'magenstrasse' without screwing up digestion.

redsun

the following happens:
- burping
- blurry sight
- drowsiness

Caffeine reduces sodium reabsorption so yes. The more you consume the more salt you will likely need. Its best to reduce caffeine and coffee down if possible.

ThinPicking

Caffeine reduces sodium reabsorption so yes. The more you consume the more salt you will likely need. Its best to reduce caffeine and coffee down if possible.
I just grabbed this study from SciHub and translated it to English.

Doesn't it seem unlikely he's hitting the dose required for this effect to be a factor @redsun?

redsun

I just grabbed this study from SciHub and translated it to English.

Doesn't it seem unlikely he's hitting the dose required for this effect to be a factor @redsun?

Dose is not relevant to whether or not it exerts this effect but it is relevant to the degree of the effect. OP said he consumes a lot of coffee so this is likely what is going on.

ThinPicking

That natriuresis would do this seems extremely unlikely to me, surely his salt craving would be intense. The opposite is true.

https://doi.org/10.1152/ajpgi.1994.267.2.g166 - 'Relaxation responses of the human proximal stomach to distension during fasting and after food'

Could you try a decaf or other drink without salt @nickvdg?

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals