Sore Throat + Resurgence Of Hypothyroid Symptoms. Thyroid Being Attacked?

lampofred

I remember a few years ago that most of my hypothyroid symptoms started with daily sore throats and tenderness when I touched my throat (I didn't know back then that that was where my thyroid was located.)

I hadn't gotten a sore throat for the past several months, and several of my hypothyroid symptoms improved on a Peat-diet: a filling in of the outer third of my eyebrows, glowing/reddish/tan skin instead of pale skin, warmer temperatures throughout my body, growing back my hair line and thickening of hair, etc. But suddenly, around two weeks ago, I started getting a sore throat again, and all my progress came to a crashing halt, and everything has started reversing...

Does anyone know if Peat has said anything about thyroiditis/a virus causing destruction of your thyroid and what we can do to ensure that it is in a dormant state? If I look online, I see that conventional doctors say there is nothing you can do and that people get better naturally after 1 or 2 years. But that is a huge amount of time...

Would it just be to reduce estrogen because estrogen is associated with autoimmune problems? I already take vitamin E and drink a lot coffee, so I'm not sure how else I would reduce it.

Thanks everyone for reading!

Diokine

I experienced something very similar; I became sick with a virus that wrecked my lungs and sinuses, lasted about two weeks. Afterwards, I got recurring sore throats, inflamed thyroid, and the lymph glands in my neck near the back of my jaw became very swollen and tender. I also became what I felt like was hyperthyroid (palpitations, unable to tolerate heat, anxiety, muscle weakness) and I drastically lowered my intake of thyroid because I was very worried about cardiac effects.

This didn't make things any better, and in fact they started to get worse. Many of the "hyperthyroid" symptoms I was experiencing were actually caused by serotonin, and I was able to manage a lot of these with anti-serotonin measures. I listened to a podcast where Dr. Peat was talking about hyperthyroid symptoms, and how in his experience very few people are actually hyperthyroid but actually hypothyroid. He recommended salt and calcium. This really resonated with me because something was telling me that calcium was a big player.

I drastically increased my intake of salt, calcium, and vitamin K and also spent a lot more time in the sunshine. I remember drinking some milk with about 1/2tsp of salt in it, and it made such a difference in my heartbeat (for the better) that I could hardly believe it. I was actually craving sunshine and nothing made me feel quite as well. I started taking T3 again and responded to it very well, and my sleep got much better. The inflammation in my thyroid and swollen lymph nodes disappeared almost overnight.

So look at increasing your intake of salt, calcium, vitamin K, vitamin D, and vitamin A also. Check out the roles of parathyroid hormone and vitamin K on calcium metabolism.

OP
L

lampofred

I experienced something very similar; I became sick with a virus that wrecked my lungs and sinuses, lasted about two weeks. Afterwards, I got recurring sore throats, inflamed thyroid, and the lymph glands in my neck near the back of my jaw became very swollen and tender. I also became what I felt like was hyperthyroid (palpitations, unable to tolerate heat, anxiety, muscle weakness) and I drastically lowered my intake of thyroid because I was very worried about cardiac effects.

This didn't make things any better, and in fact they started to get worse. Many of the "hyperthyroid" symptoms I was experiencing were actually caused by serotonin, and I was able to manage a lot of these with anti-serotonin measures. I listened to a podcast where Dr. Peat was talking about hyperthyroid symptoms, and how in his experience very few people are actually hyperthyroid but actually hypothyroid. He recommended salt and calcium. This really resonated with me because something was telling me that calcium was a big player.

I drastically increased my intake of salt, calcium, and vitamin K and also spent a lot more time in the sunshine. I remember drinking some milk with about 1/2tsp of salt in it, and it made such a difference in my heartbeat (for the better) that I could hardly believe it. I was actually craving sunshine and nothing made me feel quite as well. I started taking T3 again and responded to it very well, and my sleep got much better. The inflammation in my thyroid and swollen lymph nodes disappeared almost overnight.

So look at increasing your intake of salt, calcium, vitamin K, vitamin D, and vitamin A also. Check out the roles of parathyroid hormone and vitamin K on calcium metabolism.

My symptoms are mostly hypothyroid--not hyperthyroid--but your post made me realize that I do eat very little salt, especially relative to how much liquid I consume. I just ate a pinch of sea salt, and I immediately feel warmer, so I'll try incorporating more salt into my diet.

Thank you so much for your response.

Dante

This didn't make things any better, and in fact they started to get worse. Many of the "hyperthyroid" symptoms I was experiencing were actually caused by serotonin, and I was able to manage a lot of these with anti-serotonin measures..
May i ask what anti-serotonin measures you took ? I have suffered from what you can call as high serotonin courtesy SSRIs
and they weren't mimicking hyperthyroid exactly.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals