Tension headache after Blue Sky Soda and Cottage Cheese

So I have been trying to do the basics and include carb/protein/fat combo at every meal/snack. I had a can of Blue Sky soda which uses natural sugar and has 36g Carb with about a cup of grass-fed whole milk cottage cheese. I then slowly got a tension headache after. Not bad, and definitely tolerable. Ingredients in the soda are: filtered carbonated water, sugar, natural cola berry flavor, caramel, color (from fructose), tartaric acid (from grapes). Any ideas where in the hell that headache came from? Definitely correlated with the snack though

HDD

INTESTINE/ALLERGY

"Even traces of allergens in foods or supplements can do that [CONGESTION/STUFFED UP NOSE], and depending on the intestinal transit time, a single dose of an allergen can keep producing congestion for days.

It usually takes several days for the digestive system to adjust, with changes in the intestinal rhythm for example, and during that time things like headache and tooth sensitivity can increase. Increased calcium and fiber (raw carrots or boiled bamboo shoots, for example) can help."

I recently had a headache after a meal I have often and don't normally have any allergy symptom from. I thought the headache was most likely from some junk food I had eaten the previous night not the meal I had just consumed.

Have you had symptoms from cottage cheese or Blue Sky soda before?

OP
E
I used to not tolerate dairy at all very well…or Lactose I should say, because of gas, diarrhea, and hand eczema. I have been adding dairy slowly but surely, and am now drinking grass-fed non-homogonized organic whole milk, and buy the same brand of cottage cheese made with the same milk. Just started drinking the Blue Sky because it is a tasty/low ingredient soda that uses real sugar. I have noticed strange almost allergic reactions lately involving the tops of my hands… I thought it could be the oranges I have been eating. The skin on the tops of my hands get bright red, and hot. Then skin has gotten "scale-y" on my knuckles and the skin is sooooo dry. Different than the small orange bubbles that form under the skin from my previous eczema though. I tried to eat a kiwi the other day which I hear is pretty allergenic to most humans I hear, and I noticed the back of my tongue get extremely dry after consumption. So many variables!!!

HDD

Quotes from Peat-

"Have you experimented with milk from different sources? Sometimes the goats or cows eat allergenic things, or have bacteria that disturb the intestine. Have you tried boiled or ultrapasteurized milk? Is the cheese the original Parmigiano Reggiano? If you can list all the foods that you have had in the last day or two, I might see some things that are affecting your hormones. Anything that irritates your intestine or increases bacterial activity in the small intestine can increase the absorption of bacterial endotoxin, and that lowers testosterone and thyroid hormone, and increases cortisol. Reducing endotoxin might be all it takes to correct the hormones. Have you had blood tests for thyroid or other hormones?

Sometimes goats find allergenic weeds when they graze, so trying different kinds of milk, or commercial ultrapasteurized milk could help."

Are you eating the carrot salad?

HDD

Anther quote about eczema-

Eczema

"Is he getting enough calcium? Liver and thyroid would be better than trying to use separate vitamins---vitamin A deficiency is the most likely, but some B vitamins could be involved, and a vitamin A supplement can increase the need for thyroid hormone, which is increased anyway during the winter."

It takes time and patience figuring these things out. How is your metabolism? Your digestion will improve as your metabolism improves.

And as the metabolism increases so does your nutrient requirements.

OP
E
Well, it seems different than the eczema I used to have. I thought I was tolerating the milk well because the eczema was decreasing. I eat the carrot salad almost everyday with ACV and Coco oil. I have a fruit smoothie, 2 organic scrambled eggs in butter, small sausage patty from local and well-raised pigs, coffee with gelatin honey and whole milk, an orange or two, dried fruit like dates and prunes, organic grass-fed cheddar cheese, applesauce, Trader Joes organic popcorn with olive oil and sea salt, quite a bit of water with pinches of salt, vit d3/k12 supp by hawthorne, carrot salad, applesauce, OG non-hom whole milk with no added vitamins, and a cottage cheese version of the same milk…oh yeah, and that kiwi, which I stopped eating cause of the weird tongue sensation. The prunes and the kiwi are the only different things I tried as well as stepping up my orange consumption. That is a fair description of the past couple of days nutritionally. I also started this shitty part-time bar tending job where I don't get out until 3 AM! Really fudging up my sleep cycle.

OP
E
Add to the food for the past couple days, 4-6 ounces of grass fed beef and some local farmers chicken we roasted with garlic and orange with potatoes and carrots.

HDD

How about liver?

When I increased my metabolism, partly from sun exposure (vitamin D), I started experiencing very dry skin, to the point of my hands were cracking and bleeding. I also was having other skin issues. I started supplementing vitamin A because I don't consume liver consistently. This took care of my skin issues.

HDD

I use Carlson's but I don't know if that is the best choice. There are some threads about vitamin A and you could check the supplement section. The amount used is individual.

HDD

EndlessResearch said:
Or I could just sack up and start eating liver once a week.

Yes, that is best because of all the other nutrients you get and it is very economical. I love it! :shock:

Mittir

RP mentioned a study where it showed high blood sugar protects against
allergens. If there is any allergen in those foods it will help from allergic reaction.
I think your sugar to protein ratio is bit low.
Next time you can add extra sugar to your cottage cheese and see how it feels.

OP
E
And can someone clarify the best type of sugar. I feel really weird eating refined sugar, so I try to just use fruits and honey. I don't literally feel weird, but the idea of eating processed sugar feels weird. Then again, eating cheese again felt like a weird thing, and I have slowly been able to tolerate it again. Such a strange adventure!

OP
E
In regarding my strange bright red hand reaction, I think I might be sensitive to oranges. Is this common? I know the oil in the peel is strong, so maybe my hands are having adverse reactions to that. I hate drinking pasteurized juice because the heating kills most of the beneficial properties, so i usually just peel n' eat them, or juice them. The tops of my hands literally turned BRIGHT red, and got extremely dry and sensitive. Now my knuckles are so dry it looks like I have old man skin, and the other night at work, one of the knuckles cracked open!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
EndlessResearch said:
In regarding my strange bright red hand reaction, I think I might be sensitive to oranges. Is this common? I know the oil in the peel is strong, so maybe my hands are having adverse reactions to that. I hate drinking pasteurized juice because the heating kills most of the beneficial properties, so i usually just peel n' eat them, or juice them. The tops of my hands literally turned BRIGHT red, and got extremely dry and sensitive. Now my knuckles are so dry it looks like I have old man skin, and the other night at work, one of the knuckles cracked open!
Sometimes I get oranges and they are still wet from the stuff they spray on the oranges to stop it from rotting or whatever they use it for. Some of it got on my hand and my hand burned and turned red where it touched.

OP
E
I would like to think it was that, but I have had the same "reaction" 3 + times now, and it is the WHOLE backside of my hands. I don't touch the orange peel on the backside at all. If that were true, my palms would turn red.

Mittir

EndlessResearch said:
And can someone clarify the best type of sugar. I feel really weird eating refined sugar, so I try to just use fruits and honey. I don't literally feel weird, but the idea of eating processed sugar feels weird. Then again, eating cheese again felt like a weird thing, and I have slowly been able to tolerate it again. Such a strange adventure!
Difference between blue sky soda and refined sugar is simply the addition of liquid.
Any kind of mix of glucose+fructose or glucose+galactose (lactose) is fine.
Pasteurization is not a big factor in anti-oxidant capacity of OJ. Here is a study

J Agric Food Chem. 2002 Aug 28;50(18):5107-14.
Effect of processing techniques at industrial scale on orange juice antioxidant and beneficial health compounds.
Gil-Izquierdo A, Gil MI, Ferreres F.
Author information
Abstract
Phenolic compounds, vitamin C (L-ascorbic acid and L-dehydroascorbic acid), and antioxidant capacity were evaluated in orange juices manufactured by different techniques. Five processes at industrial scale (squeezing, mild pasteurization, standard pasteurization, concentration, and freezing) used in commercial orange juice manufacturing were studied. In addition, domestic squeezing (a hand processing technique) was compared with commercial squeezing (an industrial FMC single-strength extraction) to evaluate their influences on health components of orange juice. Whole orange juice was divided into soluble and cloud fractions after centrifugation. Total and individual phenolics were analyzed in both fractions by HPLC. Commercial squeezing extracted 22% more phenolics than hand squeezing. The freezing process caused a dramatic decrease in phenolics, whereas the concentration process caused a mild precipitation of these compounds to the juice cloud. In pulp, pasteurization led to degradation of several phenolic compounds, that is, caffeic acid derivatives, vicenin 2 (apigenin 6,8-di-C-glucoside), and narirutin (5,7,4'-trihydroxyflavanone-7-rutinoside) with losses of 34.5, 30.7, and 28%, respectively. Regarding vitamin C, orange juice produced by commercial squeezing contained 25% more of this compound than domestic squeezing. Mild and standard pasteurization slightly increased the total vitamin C content as the contribution from the orange solids parts, whereas concentration and freezing did not show significant changes. The content of L-ascorbic acid provided 77-96% of the total antioxidant capacity of orange juice. Mild pasteurization, standard pasteurization, concentration, and freezing did not affect the total antioxidant capacity of juice, but they did, however, in pulp, where it was reduced by 47%.

OP
E
Yeah…you always hear about "living enzymes" and within minutes of juicing the minerals and enzymes start to break down and lose their nutritional value…plus the process of pasteurization on top of that, and how long it takes after the juice is extracted to when you are actually drinking it deteriorates its nutritional value even more. I wish I understood more of the science of this, but are the phenolic compounds, vit C, and antioxidant capacity the "living enzymes" people talk about when juicing? RP said something on a podcast I listened to yesterday about the process of commercial OJ causing issues, so he switched to juicing them himself?

Mittir

That "Living Enzyme" is a raw food justification. Some one asked RP about
Raw food and his answer was that there were no extra benefit in
getting enzymes in food. It is not a stress for our digestive system
to make enzymes. Cooking often increases availability of nutrients.
Some companies add extra enzymes to dissolve the fiber in orange juice
and these juices can cause digestive problems.
If the juice was not treated with enzyme the pulp will settle at the bottom.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom