Topical calcium?

BubblesMcGee

Forum Supporter
Is there a way to take calcium topically? I struggle with every form of oral calcium I’ve tried. I have an incredibly sensitive gut and as a result have gotten almost 0 calcium for years. I know I need to find a way to get it in. I found one or two pure liquid calcium supplements but they have like 8-10% daily dose per serving and I’d go through a bottle every couple days to meet RDA. Let me know if you have any recommendations.

Dutchie

A magnesium spray I used to buy here also contained small amounts of potassium chloride and calcium chloride.
So, I guess if you can get some calcium chloride powder, you can make your own calcium spray🤷

OP
B

BubblesMcGee

Forum Supporter
A magnesium spray I used to buy here also contained small amounts of potassium chloride and calcium chloride.
So, I guess if you can get some calcium chloride powder, you can make your own calcium spray🤷
Thanks that’s interesting, is the calcium absorbed from the magnesium spray?

Dutchie

Thanks that’s interesting, is the calcium absorbed from the magnesium spray?
I assume it does absorb but I don't know.
Since I don't know how much was in there, I assume not that much otherwise it would've been called magn-pot.-calcium spray, the small amount wasn't noticeable.
I guess it comes down to calculating and trial.

OP
B

BubblesMcGee

Forum Supporter
I assume it does absorb but I don't know.
Since I don't know how much was in there, I assume not that much otherwise it would've been called magn-pot.-calcium spray, the small amount wasn't noticeable.
I guess it comes down to calculating and trial.
Thank you

Caro

Is there a way to take calcium topically? I struggle with every form of oral calcium I’ve tried. I have an incredibly sensitive gut and as a result have gotten almost 0 calcium for years. I know I need to find a way to get it in. I found one or two pure liquid calcium supplements but they have like 8-10% daily dose per serving and I’d go through a bottle every couple days to meet RDA. Let me know if you have any recommendations.
Have you tried mineral water? I also react badly to calcium supplements, but am able to drink mineral water without a problem.

OP
B

BubblesMcGee

Forum Supporter
Have you tried mineral water? I also react badly to calcium supplements, but am able to drink mineral water without a problem.
Yes no problem with mineral water but the amount of calcium is so tiny unfortunately…

Caro

Yes no problem with mineral water but the amount of calcium is so tiny unfortunately…
Some mineral waters are high in calcium. You may be able to find Vittel where you live, as they seem to have wide marketing distribution. Some of the Europeans on this forum drink Gerolsteiner and don't have to take supplements. I drink San Pellegrino, as it's the best I can do where I live. It does help to boost my calcium intake, on top of whatever I can get from (mostly non-dairy) food sources (as I don't tolerate dairy well).

There's a fair amount of discussion on calcium on the forum in general, as well as in the low toxin threads (worth venturing there).

OP
B

BubblesMcGee

Forum Supporter
Some mineral waters are high in calcium. You may be able to find Vittel where you live, as they seem to have wide marketing distribution. Some of the Europeans on this forum drink Gerolsteiner and don't have to take supplements. I drink San Pellegrino, as it's the best I can do where I live. It does help to boost my calcium intake, on top of whatever I can get from (mostly non-dairy) food sources (as I don't tolerate dairy well).

There's a fair amount of discussion on calcium on the forum in general, as well as in the low toxin threads (worth venturing there).
Thank you so much for sharing this. Will investigate low toxin forums on calcium 🙏🏼

Caro

It may be a bit difficult to find the info as there's so much on calcium. Here are a few examples I could find.

This is the person who drinks Gerolsteiner. He also mentions his calcium sensitivity and intake in many other threads:
Low Toxin Logs - Hypervitaminosis A — A Case Study Of Myself

Another discussion regarding calcium and the need for it in general is in the thread: This "Low Toxin & Low Vitamin A" Movement Is All About The Great Awakening.

According to Nick "The high calcium intake Peat recommended only serves a purpose because he also recommended a high vitamin A diet. The body uses calcium to bind up free retinoids that it cannot detox at the moment. If you have high free retinoids that cannot be detoxed fast enough and a low calcium intake the body will pull calcium from the bones and teeth. Either way, if the pattern continues you end up with calcified tissues. The dietary calcium just prevents you from getting osteoporosis at the same time."

I'm still experimenting with non-dairy calcium food sources, but don't post much on it as It ventures far outside the Ray Peat world.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals