"training Our Bodies To Deal With Glucose"

OP
managing

managing

"A negative response to vit D is pretty typical of high PTH. If you got labs the pattern would be high-normal PTH, low vit D, high-normal Calcium or something like that. . . It's not adequate to take some calcium, you must take enough calcium and vit D to suppress PTH. vit D might be uncomfortable in the beginning, because it's rapidly converted to the active form by high PTH and that will increase serum calcium. There are ways to deal with high serum calcium."

That is fascinating and useful. Care to elaborate on ways to deal w/ high serum calcium? It makes total sense. Even tiny bits of calcium increase osmotic pressure and will pull water into the blood (thus, higher BP).

Tamale: I assume it was the masa (corn).

Preg: 50mg of the capsule. But I assume the only difference is the capsule itself, no?

OP
managing

managing

TINKERER: "One thing I noted that Ray Peat discussed multiple times that his fans don't seem to talk about much, is that he said (paraphrasing the best I can) some of those who have screwed up metabolisms and eat more glucose are not able to fully metabolize the glucose and it gets converted into lactate instead of energy, worsening the problem. Unfortunately, in the interviews I've heard, he leaves it there and the interviewer tends to move on to something else. So the question seems to be, how to improve the metabolism to more fully process glucose into energy instead of lactate, and that's where I'm hoping the other tips will help."

I would love to get others input on this question. I also would love it if one of you who seem to still have direct communication with RP would pose to him the questions of "how do I know if this is happening" and "What can be done then?

tinkerer

managing said:
I would love to get others input on this question. I also would love it if one of you who seem to still have direct communication with RP would pose to him the questions of "how do I know if this is happening" and "What can be done then?
Yes, I have been looking forward to Ray's input on that for some time.

kiran

managing said:
That is fascinating and useful. Care to elaborate on ways to deal w/ high serum calcium? It makes total sense. Even tiny bits of calcium increase osmotic pressure and will pull water into the blood (thus, higher BP).

Tamale: I assume it was the masa (corn).

Preg: 50mg of the capsule. But I assume the only difference is the capsule itself, no?

The additives of the capsule seem fine.

Starch can cause problems, and it's deficient in potassium.
Have you tried OJ?

Vit A, vit K2 will both reduce serum calcium. Coca cola will work too.

OP
managing

managing

OJ and whole milk are my main sources of daily sugar. A little at a time. Oddly enough, I tolerate starch well in the evening (just had a fine plate of sweet potato fries), but not during the day. The tamale was a test, which I failed. Because I have seen signs of improvement. But not enough for a tamale.

Thanks for the Vit A/K tip. Good to know. What is the mechanism by which Coca Cola will reduce serum calcium? Is it the phosphate (in which case all sodas would work)?

SQu

I'm late to this thread but this is my burning question too. Recent experiments with big energy boosts from granulated fructose suggest that I can't use glucose well if at all. Belly fat. Insomnia. Inflammation. Edema. PMS. Breathless. Still, 3 years after adding back carbs. All suggest same thing.
Insomnia currently worst of the lot. Last night I skipped the milk remembering something about milk and insulin. Also skipped the sugar. Woke only once , had salt, aspirin. Slept far better, but that means nothing until I.can do it consistently. So I'm going to halve milk to 1 litre mostly in coffee, well before bedtime. Top up calcium with eggshell, will comb forum for how much. Grind up my silicon dioxide vit d supps and dissolve in olive oil, drink the oil when settles.
A caffeine pill and "haidut's t3" make me sleepy - (who would have thought) - perhaps by lowering pth? So I'm going to have it daily.
For context I've tried everything I can find for insomnia including aspirin, milk, sugar, salt, t3, sometimes a lot, sometimes multiple times a night. For other symptoms salt helps my PMS, t3 helps everything except sleep, aspirin helps inflammation and occasionally a coke helps edema (don't have it regularly) and fructose helps energy.
Hope this doesn't look like jumping in - intention is to contribute to the ideas /debate here. That mention of RP saying dome people cant use glucose was.a light bulb moment for me. Confirming what I.was suspecting.

kiran

managing said:
Thanks for the Vit A/K tip. Good to know. What is the mechanism by which Coca Cola will reduce serum calcium? Is it the phosphate (in which case all sodas would work)?

It's the coca leaf extract I believe. Not very much phosphate in coke.

4peatssake

OP
managing

managing

Niacinamide is one I've had a strange reaction to every time I've tried it--I get really tired and lethargic. As I move forward, I will try once again.

Gl;itch.e

No mention of concentric focused resistance exercise? Thats one sure fire way to improve glucose clearance. Use it and store it in the muscle.

OP
managing

managing

I can definitely see that, and I exercise (low impact, concentric) 20-30 min 5-6x week. I see immediate improvement in glucose tolerance. In fact, I think you pretty much have to follow up the exercise with sugar. But I don't see a generalized improvement. By that, I mean if I don't exercise for 2-3 days, the benefit seems to disappear. Even in the evening (I exercise morning), the benefit seems to have dissipated.

Gl;itch.e

managing said:
I can definitely see that, and I exercise (low impact, concentric) 20-30 min 5-6x week. I see immediate improvement in glucose tolerance. In fact, I think you pretty much have to follow up the exercise with sugar. But I don't see a generalized improvement. By that, I mean if I don't exercise for 2-3 days, the benefit seems to disappear. Even in the evening (I exercise morning), the benefit seems to have dissipated.
The more muscle you have the easier itll be to deal with.

Give me a run down of what you'd do for exercise.

managing said:
Niacinamide is one I've had a strange reaction to every time I've tried it--I get really tired and lethargic. As I move forward, I will try once again.

You should try it with fifty grams of sugar and see if it makes a difference.

jyb

managing said:

I can get a bit over hungry with niacinamide. I think this might require caution, because if that hunger is really a sign of energy depletion then that's all the stress one is supposed to avoid.

Maybe whether you are prone to being drained by niacinamide has to do with being an under/over "methylator" as Ben wrote about.

jyb said:
managing said:

I can get a bit over hungry with niacinamide. I think this might require caution, because if that hunger is really a sign of energy depletion then that's all the stress one is supposed to avoid.

Maybe whether you are prone to being drained by niacinamide has to do with being an under/over "methylator" as Ben wrote about.

I don't know, I've had the same reaction with it and also with biotin, besides the GABA effect the only thing I can imagine is that the boost in metabolism/culling of stress quickly turns to fat release since you took too much vitamin/too little sugar.

jyb

Such_Saturation said:
I don't know, I've had the same reaction with it and also with biotin, besides the GABA effect the only thing I can imagine is that the boost in metabolism/culling of stress quickly turns to fat release since you took too much vitamin/too little sugar.

I took it because I noticed some skin improvement (pimples) so I assume it can help with skin healing, and probably body healing in general too because why should it stop at the skin. Also for its relaxing effect for preventing coffee effects as haidut suggested. But the fact that it can cause hunger / deplete energy seems pretty bad so I'm not sure.

tara

jyb said:
Such_Saturation said:
But the fact that it can cause hunger / deplete energy seems pretty bad so I'm not sure.
If the reason it causes hunger and depletes energy is because it helps burn sugar more effectively, ie uses it up faster, isn't that exactly what we are wanting, at least some of the time, as long as we can keep up the fuel supply?

You can use a cream if you don't want to take it orally, it will still improve the skin.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals