Transdermal absorption of iodine through scar tissue?

Judd Crane

I'm considering using iodine (Lugol's solution) to heal a large scar. I normally supplement with iodine (150mcg) since my diet is lacking. I'm unsure howevever if I should adjust my supplementation after implementing the topical iodine. Iodine intake seems to be a delicate matter and you don't want too much or too little. Absorption through regular skin from a drop of Lugols 2% is around 150-300 mcg, though absorption through a scar should be less. Any advice?

Last edited:

Osukhan

I'm considering using iodine (Lugol's solution) to heal a large scar. I normally supplement with iodine (150mcg) since my diet is lacking. I'm unsure howevever if I should adjust my supplementation after implementing the topical iodine. Iodine intake seems to be a delicate matter and you don't want too much or too little. Absorption of Lugols through regular skin is about 10%, but I suspect absorption through a scar would be even less. Any advice?
i didnt know applying iodine could help with this...

OP
Judd Crane

Judd Crane

i didnt know applying iodine could help with this...

Osukhan

i have been using Multifunctional Repair Spray | Nano Spray for Skin | Nano Ojas for a reoccurring ankle cut/scar that just never seems to heal a 100%, pretty good results so far

Ras

I'm considering using iodine (Lugol's solution) to heal a large scar. I normally supplement with iodine (150mcg) since my diet is lacking. I'm unsure howevever if I should adjust my supplementation after implementing the topical iodine. Iodine intake seems to be a delicate matter and you don't want too much or too little. Absorption through regular skin from a drop of Lugols 2% is around 150-300 mcg, though absorption through a scar should be less. Any advice?
Therapeutic doses of potassium iodide have reached gram levels, and daily doses should be several milligrams. You're safe to pay no mind to transdermal application affecting oral supplementation.

OP
Judd Crane

Judd Crane

Therapeutic doses of potassium iodide have reached gram levels, and daily doses should be several milligrams. You're safe to pay no mind to transdermal application affecting oral supplementation.
Do you have any papers on this? I recall reading a study that found 6-12% of Lugol's solution was absorbed thrugh the skin, which would mean 150-300 mcg for a drop of 2% Lugols.

OP
Judd Crane

Judd Crane

Do you have any papers on this? I recall reading a study that found 6-12% of Lugol's solution was absorbed thrugh the skin, which would mean 150-300 mcg for a drop of 2% Lugols.
Our case provides evidence that absorption of iodine after prolonged application of povidone-iodine to a relatively small surface area of denuded skin can result in considerable iodine absorption.

GTW

Dietary intake in Japan can be daily average 5-10 grams.
One time dose of iodine to prevent radioactive Iodine poisoning is 130 mg.

OP
Judd Crane

Judd Crane

Dietary intake in Japan can be daily average 5-10 grams.
One time dose of iodine to prevent radioactive Iodine poisoning is 130 mg.
300 mcg was enough to make me feel hypo when my health was worse.

GTW

300 mcg was enough to make me feel hypo when my health was worse.
There are many contributing factors. If you have high bromine in your body the iodine will cause transient bromine toxicity as it's excreted.
Benjamin Franklin said, only an idiot would swallow soup so hot it burns his tongue.

Ras

I was making the point that your current dose of oral supplementation is so low that it doesn't matter how much is absorbed through your skin.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals