Tropical Fruit Juice Yields, Masticating Vs. Centrifugal Juicers

yerrag

"...They are advancing a myth about human nature, so I will advance a counter-myth. At the time people were growing their large brains they lived in the tropics. I suggest that in this time before the development of grain-based agriculture, they ate a diet that was relatively free of unsaturated fats and low in iron--based on tropical fruits. I suggest that the Boskop skull from Mt. Kilimanjaro was representative of people under those conditions, and that just by our present knowledge of the association of brain size with longevity, they--as various "Golden Age" myths claim--must have had a very long life-span. As people moved north and developed new ways of living, their consumption of unsaturated fats increased, their brain size decreased, and they aged rapidly. Neanderthal relics show that flaxseed was a staple of their diet."

The problem of Alzheimer's disease as a clue to immortality Part 2

This time of year, when it is cool, it is season for some tropical fruits. When I wasn't a big fan of fruits, I used to think fruit season comes only during the summer months.

Here is a comparison of juice yields, comparing a masticating juicer (Hurom, Korean) and a centrifugal juicer (Breville):

Hurom
Watermelon- 90%
Cantaloupe - 67%
Honeydew - 60%
Papaya - 68%
Pineapple - 73%
Mango - 60%

Breville
Watermelon- 90%
Cantaloupe - 70%
Honeydew - 76%
Papaya - 51%
Pineapple - 60%
Mango - 47%

Yields would vary with fruit ripeness, so these are just ballpark yields. Yet it's easy to see that when the fruit is very fibrous, such as mango and pineapple, it's better to use a masticating juicer (like Hurom) over a centrifugal juicer (like Breville).

With fruits such as cantaloupe and honeydew, the yield with a centrifugal juicer is much higher. It must be that the juice is still easier to extract from the fibers, over those of mango and pineapple, with a centrifugal juicer.

In the case of watermelon, it makes little difference as there is so much water or juice in a watermelon. The yield oif 90% is amazing.

Note: Based on weight of fruit after skin is removed. And papaya is available year-round. While pineapple is scarce during rainy season. And mango, while available year-round, is cheapest around the late summer months.

Last edited:
OP
yerrag

yerrag

I should add that while we also have oranges in the Philippines. A variety, called dalandan (sour orange), is in season this time of year. Hand-squeezing, it yields about 45% (skin weight included). I'm glad I don't have to buy Australian or US oranges to have my orange fix. They are much more expensive, though certainly those oranges taste much sweeter.

amethyst

My masticating juicer works great for citrus juice. I put them in, skin and all and the yield is great.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

I should try that. That'll be less work. Thanks Amethyst.

amethyst

I should try that. That'll be less work. Thanks Amethyst.
You don't really taste the bitterness from the skin. At least I don't. Hand-squeezing is too much work (except when you just want a sprinkle of lemon) The masticating juicer works great for lemons too. Lemons give a really nice flavor to fresh squeezed juice, whatever fruit you are using.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

You don't really taste the bitterness from the skin. At least I don't. Hand-squeezing is too much work (except when you just want a sprinkle of lemon) The masticating juicer works great for lemons too. Lemons give a really nice flavor to fresh squeezed juice, whatever fruit you are using.
I wonder how much pesticides are used for citrus fruits. None of the citrus fruits we get are certified organic, although I trust local over imported more.

amethyst

I wonder how much pesticides are used for citrus fruits. None of the citrus fruits we get are certified organic, although I trust local over imported more.
I read a while ago, that if you don't use organic produce, that you are safer using fruits that have a thicker skin, like citrus fruit. So you would be fine with those. A good fruit wash is plain old white vinegar. I use that for my fruits and veggies before I cook or juice them. I spray it on them, let it sit for a few minutes and then rinse it off.

If you have a choice in buying organic or conventional berries, it's better to buy organic because non organic strawberries for example, are one of the most highly sprayed fruits.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

I read a while ago, that if you don't use organic produce, that you are safer using fruits that have a thicker skin, like citrus fruit. So you would be fine with those. A good fruit wash is plain old white vinegar. I use that for my fruits and veggies before I cook or juice them. I spray it on them, let it sit for a few minutes and then rinse it off.

If you have a choice in buying organic or conventional berries, it's better to buy organic because non organic strawberries for example, are one of the most highly sprayed fruits.
I agree that thick skinned fruits are safer when it comes to non-organic fruits.

But I was thinking that it's safer because the inside of the fruit is much less contaminated. In this context, and I'm not sure if I'm using the right context, it would seem unsafe to include the thick skin in juicing the citrus fruit, wouldn't it? Even if vinegar and baking soda are used to lessen the pesticides.

Richiebogie

Hi @yerrag, you should grow a large brain and live a long life eating all that tropical fruit available in the Philippines!

I assume most of the nutrients come out of the fibre during juicing.

Have you cut back on rice and veggies? Do you also get a lot of seafood where you are? Do you feel better on more fruit juice?

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Hi @yerrag, you should grow a large brain and live a long life eating all that tropical fruit available in the Philippines!

I assume most of the nutrients come out of the fibre during juicing.

Have you cut back on rice and veggies? Do you also get a lot of seafood where you are? Do you feel better on more fruit juice?
Richiebogie, funny you make mention of a large brain. I have a large head, not sure about its contents. Perhaps my mom ate a lot of tropical fruits while she was carrying me in her pouch.

The juice I make is mostly for my mom. She wasn't eating much when she got released from the hospital. So I decided to give her plenty of juice for its sugar (6 cups/day) and a milk blend with eggs and vco, for its fat (2 cups/day). That way she could just eat a smaller portion for her 2 meals, concentrating on protein.

Funny thing was, she didn't want to eat her meals. I was getting frustrated, then realized all that sugar from fruit juice was making her full.

When I cut back to 4 cups of fruit juice a day for her, and added 2 glasses of water in their place, and made sure she didn't have any fruit juice long enough before her meal, she started eating her meals.

That's how I came to making a lot of fruit juice. I think I will join her fruit juice train soon!

Now, I still eat plenty of rice, but I have cut back on veggies to mostly cooked green leaves, and raw carrots, and cooked bamboo shoot curry in coconut milk. Habits are hard to break.

amethyst

I agree that thick skinned fruits are safer when it comes to non-organic fruits.

But I was thinking that it's safer because the inside of the fruit is much less contaminated. In this context, and I'm not sure if I'm using the right context, it would seem unsafe to include the thick skin in juicing the citrus fruit, wouldn't it? Even if vinegar and baking soda are used to lessen the pesticides.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I meant, I do peel the citrus fruit first, but will leave some of the white (inner) skin on the fruit when I juice as it doesn't seem to effect the taste. I just spray fruits with vinegar on the outer parts, even citrus, (then rinse off).

Last edited:

amethyst

Richiebogie, funny you make mention of a large brain. I have a large head, not sure about its contents. Perhaps my mom ate a lot of tropical fruits while she was carrying me in her pouch.

The juice I make is mostly for my mom. She wasn't eating much when she got released from the hospital. So I decided to give her plenty of juice for its sugar (6 cups/day) and a milk blend with eggs and vco, for its fat (2 cups/day). That way she could just eat a smaller portion for her 2 meals, concentrating on protein.

Funny thing was, she didn't want to eat her meals. I was getting frustrated, then realized all that sugar from fruit juice was making her full.

When I cut back to 4 cups of fruit juice a day for her, and added 2 glasses of water in their place, and made sure she didn't have any fruit juice long enough before her meal, she started eating her meals.

That's how I came to making a lot of fruit juice. I think I will join her fruit juice train soon!

Now, I still eat plenty of rice, but I have cut back on veggies to mostly cooked green leaves, and raw carrots, and cooked bamboo shoot curry in coconut milk. Habits are hard to break.
You sound like a good son :angelic:

OP
yerrag

yerrag

You sound like a good son :angelic:
Thanks. I'm a better son with Ray Peat and this forum. And you've been great helping me as well!

Richiebogie

Hi @yerrag,

That's great you were able to help your mum out with fruit juice, milk, egg and vco and to adjust the ratios so that she could eat a bigger range of foods.

It might be a good idea if you eat the same diet that you give to your mum. If some vitamins or minerals are missing you might get cravings or symptoms which may be hidden on your mum.

Eg. You may discover that a little seafood, sweet potato, chocolate, coffee, brewers yeast, liver etc can fill in any nutritional gaps.

My aunt feeds her dog chicken necks and Brocoli and nothing else. She will not listen to arguments to widen the nutrition despite the dog having terrible skin. I'm sure if she was forced to live on the same diet she would complain and demand more variety...

The diet you give your mum is obviously much better than this example but we are all at risk of missing out on something if we follow a restrictive dietary formula.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I meant, I do peel the citrus fruit first, but will leave some of the white (inner) skin on the fruit when I juice as it doesn't seem to effect the taste. I just spray fruits with vinegar on the outer parts, even citrus, (then rinse off).
Glad we cleared it. I was thinking of running my oranges through the juicer, but thought about the last time I wrecked my juicer. I ran an unripe papaya through it, it got stuck and destroyed a few expensive parts. I find it more difficult to peel the orange than to just cut it in half and squeeze the orange. Do you have a nice peeler for the orange?

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Hi @yerrag,

That's great you were able to help your mum out with fruit juice, milk, egg and vco and to adjust the ratios so that she could eat a bigger range of foods.

It might be a good idea if you eat the same diet that you give to your mum. If some vitamins or minerals are missing you might get cravings or symptoms which may be hidden on your mum.

Eg. You may discover that a little seafood, sweet potato, chocolate, coffee, brewers yeast, liver etc can fill in any nutritional gaps.

My aunt feeds her dog chicken necks and Brocoli and nothing else. She will not listen to arguments to widen the nutrition despite the dog having terrible skin. I'm sure if she was forced to live on the same diet she would complain and demand more variety...

The diet you give your mum is obviously much better than this example but we are all at risk of missing out on something if we follow a restrictive dietary formula.
You make a good case for me going aboard my mom's fruit juice train. I was thinking of starting on that next week, now I'm going to act on it. I'm in the process of creating a menu, and your list, and Ray Peat's list of food are on the list.

And here's one tidbit that may be of interest: My mom had been on b-complex supplementation for a while. I had made sure she also has goat's liver regularly - for vitamin B12 and also vitamin K. And the hell with naysayers who caution against liver because of "high uric acid." When she was in a catatonic state and I asked for b-12 IV, the doctor had the sense to check up on her b-12, and an assay was made on her blood. It turned out her b12 was 1600% above reference. So, b-12 IV wasn't needed, but it made me think that my mom was well supplemented with b vitamins, and that could have helped her recover from a possibly nerve-killing effect of toxicity from side effects of medication.

Jennifer

@Jennifer :wave:
Do you have an opinion on the different types of juicers? Would you recommend them?

Hi Amazoniac! :):

My first choice would be a hydraulic juice press and then a slow virtical juicer with a very low RPM – some go as low as 36 nowadays. I like the press because it extracts the most amount of juice with the least amount of oxidation so the juice keeps longer in the fridge. I have a 2 ton press that is far too massive and requires grinding the fruit before pressing so I was on the lookout for a smaller one that had more pounds of pressure. I came across one that is small, stainless steel and gives 10 tons of pressure, but I've been waiting for reviews on it before deciding to get it and there still weren't any the last time I checked.

johnwester130

"...They are advancing a myth about human nature, so I will advance a counter-myth. At the time people were growing their large brains they lived in the tropics. I suggest that in this time before the development of grain-based agriculture, they ate a diet that was relatively free of unsaturated fats and low in iron--based on tropical fruits. I suggest that the Boskop skull from Mt. Kilimanjaro was representative of people under those conditions, and that just by our present knowledge of the association of brain size with longevity, they--as various "Golden Age" myths claim--must have had a very long life-span. As people moved north and developed new ways of living, their consumption of unsaturated fats increased, their brain size decreased, and they aged rapidly. Neanderthal relics show that flaxseed was a staple of their diet."

The problem of Alzheimer's disease as a clue to immortality Part 2

This time of year, when it is cool, it is season for some tropical fruits. When I wasn't a big fan of fruits, I used to think fruit season comes only during the summer months.

Here is a comparison of juice yields, comparing a masticating juicer (Hurom, Korean) and a centrifugal juicer (Breville):

Hurom
Watermelon- 90%
Cantaloupe - 67%
Honeydew - 60%
Papaya - 68%
Pineapple - 73%
Mango - 60%

Breville
Watermelon- 90%
Cantaloupe - 70%
Honeydew - 76%
Papaya - 51%
Pineapple - 60%
Mango - 47%

Yields would vary with fruit ripeness, so these are just ballpark yields. Yet it's easy to see that when the fruit is very fibrous, such as mango and pineapple, it's better to use a masticating juicer (like Hurom) over a centrifugal juicer (like Breville).

With fruits such as cantaloupe and honeydew, the yield with a centrifugal juicer is much higher. It must be that the juice is still easier to extract from the fibers, over those of mango and pineapple, with a centrifugal juicer.

In the case of watermelon, it makes little difference as there is so much water or juice in a watermelon. The yield oif 90% is amazing.

Note: Based on weight of fruit after skin is removed. And papaya is available year-round. While pineapple is scarce during rainy season. And mango, while available year-round, is cheapest around the late summer months.

there's a new type of juicer on the market these days

Juicero and Jusir

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals