Vitamin D UK

M

metabolizm

Not too long ago my blood vitamin D level was measured at 15 ng/ml. This was considered by my GP to be perfectly adequate, and she did not recommend supplementation. Ray would consider this to be a serious deficiency, and has stated that somewhere between 50-55 ng/ml is the safe level to maintain all year round.

As far as I can tell, here in the UK anything above 20 ng/ml is considered safe.
But if Ray is right about 50 ng/ml, then this is a complete medical disaster, and millions of us are deficient.

Does anything know how Ray arrived at that specific figure of 50 ng/ml?
Does anyone know why the UK recommended levels are so much lower than this?

Maljam

Ray has probably arrived at the figure of 50 ng/ml from looking at the website of groups that are solely dedicated to looking into vitamin D such as vitamin d society and vitamin d wiki. He has mentioned in the past John Cannell of the vitamin D council which I believe now has shut down through lack of funding, but is the same idea.

The VitaminD Society

VitaminDWiki | VitaminDWiki

Why the UK recommends those levels is probably multifactorial. Maybe that level was enough to prevent rickets in some 80 year old study. Other people might think there are more sinister reasons to keep people sick, or decrease their work load by including almost all the population into "safe ranges." The ranges change all the time I think to do this, making the population fit into the ranges rather than the other way round. Organisations like the NHS don't have the man power to study as many studies like groups such as Vitamin d wiki or vitamin d society too, so they shouldn't be considered the authority IMO.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals