What is a good low-cost red light lamp device to get in 2022?

Explorer

I plan to get one soon, preferably for Christmas

Are there any ones that actually work and have the correct infrared spectrum not just a red light without the actual physical healing effects that is not too cheap?

Has anyone bought one recently?

I do not mind if it is not even that large, even one bulb could do as long as I can shine it and see if/what effects it has on me

Advocate2021

EvanHinkle

Ditto. I have four brooder clamps and four bulbs, I’ve had them for maybe six years. I’ve owned other devices, but none of them match these simple cheap incandescent bulbs!

HighT

Is that a good one ? Its just $10

Last edited:

EvanHinkle

Is that a good one ? Its just $10

I have the one from your second link. 1-3 times weekly use for maybe 1-2 hours and still running six years later.

Ben.

I bought one from redlight man. The combo version with 620 ◦ 670 ◦ 760 ◦ 830 nm

Not necessarily what you are looking for since its pricey but works very noticably.

OP
E

Explorer

I have the one from your second link. 1-3 times weekly use for maybe 1-2 hours and still running six years later.
Are those the real infrared ones that Ray Peat talks of which induce all those biologic processes that are good for the health? I am confused about those lamps

Meecho

For constant use, I go with full-spectrum light – two (might try more) 250W clear incandescent bulbs on one cable. The only difference between red and clear incandescent bulbs is that the red one is tinted red (it only passes red light). Both (any) incandescent bulbs are called infrared bulbs because approximately 90% of the energy produced is infrared. When I sleep, I turn on one 150W red bulb.

Parts:
* cable for 220V: 3 x 0.75mm (probably better to just use 2 x 0.75mm)
* bulb sockets for 220V: size E27; mine are 4A (amperage)– size E26 for the USA, and apparently, you can screw a standard light bulb in both of them)
* power plug
* 2.66 USD bulbs that I got locally (also, check these out: Philips 375 W amazon.de/dp/B008J2JJJO)

Then, I put it all together with bulb sockets connected in parallel on one cable – brown on brown, blue on blue (youtube.com/watch?v=8gu3-J8MOGc).

Other notes:
* brown wire is Live, blue wire is Neutral, green & yellow wire is Earth
* I cut wire insulation with small scissors lengthwise, on two sides, and then remove the pieces completely by cutting it crosswise

When you have the right info, It’s easier to DIY it than it might seem.

1669448805328.png

Power is at the top ;)

Last edited:

GTW

I use Hooga LED from Amazon. Floodlight style with normal socket. LED IR spectra are in therapy range. All the power is in those spectra vs incandescent heat lamp. Join the 21st century.

Honeycomb

I bought one from redlight man. The combo version with 620 ◦ 670 ◦ 760 ◦ 830 nm

Not necessarily what you are looking for since its pricey but works very noticably.
Could you please share the effects that the Redlightman combo has had on you? I too am very interested in buying something for overall health. I live in the UK and it’s so grim in the winter. Today the sky is just grey and it’s been raining non stop. It will be like this for weeks :(
I spent a long time this morning on the redlightman website reading the articles and with their Red Friday deals, now may be the time to treat myself! I am unsure which one to go for - red light only or combo red & infrared. What made you choose the combo? Thanks!

EvanHinkle

Are those the real infrared ones that Ray Peat talks of which induce all those biologic processes that are good for the health? I am confused about those lamps
Yeah, near infrared. Phillips bulb, used to be able to get them at the hardware store, (not anymore global warming or some such excuse)…

EvanHinkle

Could you please share the effects that the Redlightman combo has had on you? I too am very interested in buying something for overall health. I live in the UK and it’s so grim in the winter. Today the sky is just grey and it’s been raining non stop. It will be like this for weeks :(
I spent a long time this morning on the redlightman website reading the articles and with their Red Friday deals, now may be the time to treat myself! I am unsure which one to go for - red light only or combo red & infrared. What made you choose the combo? Thanks!
I have two devices from redlight man myself, but a word of caution, (that Peat had been vocal about) the narrow spectrum(s) afforded by the led can lead to issues of overexposure quicker than you might think. I found I could only use the devices for a few minutes, a few days a week, where the incandescent had no such limitations. Of course this is probably different for everyone.

Peat has mentioned that it very difficult to overdose on the incandescent lights because the spectrum they output is wider. This doesn’t mean the leds are not effective, just that you need to make sure you are well fed, use at an appropriate distance/time for the dose you’re aiming for, and select a frequency of use that doesn’t illicit a stress response.

I’m lazy, so I like that I can just flip the switch on the incandescent and enjoy til I think, “that’s probably good.”

Advocate2021

I have two devices from redlight man myself, but a word of caution, (that Peat had been vocal about) the narrow spectrum(s) afforded by the led can lead to issues of overexposure quicker than you might think. I found I could only use the devices for a few minutes, a few days a week, where the incandescent had no such limitations. Of course this is probably different for everyone.

Peat has mentioned that it very difficult to overdose on the incandescent lights because the spectrum they output is wider. This doesn’t mean the leds are not effective, just that you need to make sure you are well fed, use at an appropriate distance/time for the dose you’re aiming for, and select a frequency of use that doesn’t illicit a stress response.

I’m lazy, so I like that I can just flip the switch on the incandescent and enjoy til I think, “that’s probably good.”
ive never purchased any fancy devices; just use the brooders with the 250 Watt clear heat lamps and also i use standing five prong lamps ( the sell them at home depot) and put in 5 65 watt incandescent flat faced flood bulbs and thats 625 watts of directed light therapy right there. i keep mine on all day long when working and as of the lst few weeks pretty much 24-7 and great improvement in my sleep which had unfortunately taken a turn for the worse since I reversed my schedule for a 6 month period due to high stress. i reset my circadian about 3 months ago but it has been a gradual process recovering fully from that but the lights at night have brought a huge improvement. I went from waking up every couple of hours to now waking up just once and getting right back to sleep. my dreams are non stop and i am getting my full 8 hours of sleep despite the one waking up which i think will also dissipate with a little more time. like night and day lol. when i worked in a law office in Manhattan office building, i had a brooder on the window sill and a standing five prong on the other side of me. my office thought i was nuts and joked about my "movie set". but i sure had more energy than the entire firm put together.

Honeycomb

Thank you! The devices, even with the Red Friday sale, are expensive so your reminder about the importance of being really careful with distance, time and dose is very wise advice. Maybe I too should look into those poultry heat lamps and make my own! How difficult is it? What do I need?

Honeycomb

I plan to get one soon, preferably for Christmas

Are there any ones that actually work and have the correct infrared spectrum not just a red light without the actual physical healing effects that is not too cheap?

Has anyone bought one recently?

I do not mind if it is not even that large, even one bulb could do as long as I can shine it and see if/what effects it has on me
Have you made up your mind yet? Are you considering making your own?

Honeycomb

ive never purchased any fancy devices; just use the brooders with the 250 Watt clear heat lamps and also i use standing five prong lamps ( the sell them at home depot) and put in 5 65 watt incandescent flat faced flood bulbs and thats 625 watts of directed light therapy right there. i keep mine on all day long when working and as of the lst few weeks pretty much 24-7 and great improvement in my sleep which had unfortunately taken a turn for the worse since I reversed my schedule for a 6 month period due to high stress. i reset my circadian about 3 months ago but it has been a gradual process recovering fully from that but the lights at night have brought a huge improvement. I went from waking up every couple of hours to now waking up just once and getting right back to sleep. my dreams are non stop and i am getting my full 8 hours of sleep despite the one waking up which i think will also dissipate with a little more time. like night and day lol. when i worked in a law office in Manhattan office building, i had a brooder on the window sill and a standing five prong on the other side of me. my office thought i was nuts and joked about my "movie set". but i sure had more energy than the entire firm put together.
Loving not the office movie set!! I don’t care what it will look like either and don’t want to spend a fortune on a device which I may not use safely. I could definitely do with improving my sleep. I long for an uninterrupted 8 hour night! My sleep has been really bad lately ...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals