What's your best advice for diverticulitis that is causing symptoms?

A loved one has fever and is feeling sick and it is diagnosed most likely as diverticulitis. Wondering if you have some advice as to what healed you. Thank you

Peatful

Lollipop2

Large large number of digestive enzymes with each meal will help normalize. Liguids like milk and honey - manuka honey. This could be a start anyway.

gaze

erythromycin has a laxative effective alongside its antibiotic effects i believe, that could be something to consider. alongside vit D + calcium

Last edited:
A loved one has fever and is feeling sick and it is diagnosed most likely as diverticulitis. Wondering if you have some advice as to what healed you. Thank you
I know this thread is old, but I am throwing my advice out there for those who look to this thread for help in the future.

My husband had a diverticulitis attack three different times. The first time he went to the hospital, and seeing that they just flushed him out and gave him an antibiotic, we avoided the hospital the next two times. I had him stop eating, put him on bed rest and give him a high UMF Manuka honey (for an antibiotic) and bone broth flavored with herbs. I also gave him chamomile or peppermint tea, coconut water, and ginger tea with lemon. After he felt better in about two to four days I graduated him to soft foods like well cooked puréed soups, canned or cooked fruits and grass fed milk and yogurt and a little seafood and eggs. Vitamin C and grape seed extract were the only supplements I gave him. Also a spoonful of coconut oil on an empty stomach to get in there and kill that bacteria

OP
ecstatichamster
I know this thread is old, but I am throwing my advice out there for those who look to this thread for help in the future.

My husband had a diverticulitis attack three different times. The first time he went to the hospital, and seeing that they just flushed him out and gave him an antibiotic, we avoided the hospital the next two times. I had him stop eating, put him on bed rest and give him a high UMF Manuka honey (for an antibiotic) and bone broth flavored with herbs. I also gave him chamomile or peppermint tea, coconut water, and ginger tea with lemon. After he felt better in about two to four days I graduated him to soft foods like well cooked puréed soups, canned or cooked fruits and grass fed milk and yogurt and a little seafood and eggs. Vitamin C and grape seed extract were the only supplements I gave him. Also a spoonful of coconut oil on an empty stomach to get in there and kill that bacteria

Thank you so much for your explanation. Much appreciated @Rinse & rePeat

HeyThere

When my gut goes bad, I can only tell you what helped ME every single time: Grapefruit Seed Extract. Not grape, grapefruit. I'm sensitive (Salicylates, etc), so I only take ONE drop (it has to be the concentrated version of GSE because they changed the formula of the larger bottle). I use a coffee frother to really mix it up and it foams up nicely. I down it and immediately feel the bubbly formula breaking down stuff in my stomach and then gut. I do this for a few days and every time it has saved me from having to get medical help. I think I have slow digestion/bad enzymes, but with Salicyate issues I'm so very limited with what I can take. Even the GSE has to stop within a few days up to maybe 5.

Hairfedup

When my gut goes bad, I can only tell you what helped ME every single time: Grapefruit Seed Extract. Not grape, grapefruit. I'm sensitive (Salicylates, etc), so I only take ONE drop (it has to be the concentrated version of GSE because they changed the formula of the larger bottle). I use a coffee frother to really mix it up and it foams up nicely. I down it and immediately feel the bubbly formula breaking down stuff in my stomach and then gut. I do this for a few days and every time it has saved me from having to get medical help. I think I have slow digestion/bad enzymes, but with Salicyate issues I'm so very limited with what I can take. Even the GSE has to stop within a few days up to maybe 5.

Sounds fantastic will give it a try.

Sorry to bother, will raw wild honey work or it must be Manuka? Have some raw stuff to hand. Both me and my sister are suffering from the exact same symptoms making me think we ate something off (same symptoms for 6 weeks), only problem is I have an inguinal hernia and still on the waiting list for surgery so hoping sort this out as soon as possible. We do have penicillin and ethyromycine to hand but I dont want to mess with antibiotics unless we absolutely have to.

If anyone else has any suggestions please let me know!

Thank you

Sounds fantastic will give it a try.

Sorry to bother, will raw wild honey work or it must be Manuka? Have some raw stuff to hand. Both me and my sister are suffering from the exact same symptoms making me think we ate something off (same symptoms for 6 weeks), only problem is I have an inguinal hernia and still on the waiting list for surgery so hoping sort this out as soon as possible. We do have penicillin and ethyromycine to hand but I dont want to mess with antibiotics unless we absolutely have to.

If anyone else has any suggestions please let me know!

Thank you
Manuka honey has strong antibiotic effects, Ray Peat said artichokes have antibiotic effects as well…

ME:
Hello again Dr. Peat!

I have been finding artichoke hearts to be of great value in keeping my digestion moving. I have them drizzled with a little olive oil and liquid coconut oil. I know the bitter aspect of them is in part why they have been effective, but I am also reading studies that they also have an antibiotic effect. Is there any downside to them that you know of?

RAY PEAT
"They have broad antibiotic and anticancer effects, I don’t know of any harm from them."

Hairfedup

Manuka honey has strong antibiotic effects, Ray Peat said artichokes have antibiotic effects as well…

ME:
Hello again Dr. Peat!

I have been finding artichoke hearts to be of great value in keeping my digestion moving. I have them drizzled with a little olive oil and liquid coconut oil. I know the bitter aspect of them is in part why they have been effective, but I am also reading studies that they also have an antibiotic effect. Is there any downside to them that you know of?

RAY PEAT
"They have broad antibiotic and anticancer effects, I don’t know of any harm from them."

Thank you so much - will give them all a try including everything from your original post. Much appreciated.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals