Winter warming breakfast for outside workers

Peater

At the moment I just have a bacon omelette with a big mug of strong white coffee with 2 teaspoons of sugar for breakfast.

I'm just wondering if this is optimal, I'm almost tempted to try porridge oats (If it's good enough for the Scottish and their winters).

The reason is that I am after that 'deep', internal warmth. At the moment, my current breakfast is warming but not in a pleasant way, more like a 'surface level' hot flush as the ladies say. (Stress response?). Hopefully people can intuit what I mean about the different feelings of body heat.

It's annoying as I know it has protein, reasonable fat content, carbs from the coffee.

Summer

In my experience, a hot beverage will keep you warm more effectively than any food. A thermos of cinnamon tea is my go-to.

Dean

The eggs could lower your blood sugar and make you feel cold. Maybe some masa harina porridge loaded with some cooked fruit and some low-fat breakfast sausage on the side to go with your coffee?

imaginaryfolk

warm soup ramen type of thing or another type of pasta with some vegetables and meat with something spicy added to the broth like sriracha sauce

Dean

warm soup ramen type of thing or another type of pasta with some vegetables and meat with something spicy added to the broth like sriracha sauce
Yeah, a bowl of pho is the real breakfast of champions. Hard to throw together in the morning though and Vietnamese restaurants in US are never open for breakfast.

OP
P

Peater

The eggs could lower your blood sugar and make you feel cold. Maybe some masa harina porridge loaded with some cooked fruit and some low-fat breakfast sausage on the side to go with your coffee?
That's a very good point, although i will have to find out what masa harina is!
Grains don't agree with me but some sort of stew might be a good idea. Good source of gelatin too. Thanks!

Zucker

I know what you mean with the different depths of warmth created inside by different foods. Slowly cooked oats,salted and sugared, cooked with ghee and fresh cream do that for me and are a good base for physical work. Maybe some warming spice like cinnamon can be added. I would try and see how your body responds and if you like the taste and whether you want to add some protein to make it more sustaining. Porridge can go with so many things, salty or sweet. I do add protein most of the time to make the meal nourish me longer.

OP
P

Peater

I know what you mean with the different depths of warmth created inside by different foods. Slowly cooked oats,salted and sugared, cooked with ghee and fresh cream do that for me and are a good base for physical work. Maybe some warming spice like cinnamon can be added. I would try and see how your body responds and if you like the taste and whether you want to add some protein to make it more sustaining. Porridge can go with so many things, salty or sweet. I do add protein most of the time to make the meal nourish me longer.

Appreciate you understanding what I meant! Now I'm craving porridge with fresh cream...

I've just this second realised that coconut oil would be a great addition to it as well. Would hopefully offset weight gain. (Lost a lot when I cut grains out over a decade ago - but maybe gluten was the main culprit, from crappy modern dwarf wheat)

GTW

Ginger tea with honey and lemon can be warming and good for digestion.

redsun

At the moment I just have a bacon omelette with a big mug of strong white coffee with 2 teaspoons of sugar for breakfast.

I'm just wondering if this is optimal, I'm almost tempted to try porridge oats (If it's good enough for the Scottish and their winters).

The reason is that I am after that 'deep', internal warmth. At the moment, my current breakfast is warming but not in a pleasant way, more like a 'surface level' hot flush as the ladies say. (Stress response?). Hopefully people can intuit what I mean about the different feelings of body heat.

It's annoying as I know it has protein, reasonable fat content, carbs from the coffee.
If you want to be warm for outdoor labor, High protein food in the morning is a must. So I would eat as much meat and eggs as you can and also as much starch as desired with your coffee. Whatever starch you prefer. You have the right idea about deep warmth, but its really a radiating warmth. Your meal has some protein and has coffee but this is likely too little protein and calories in general so you are stuck with only a pinch of warmth.

2 teaspoons of sugar is only 8 grams of carbs. Even 2 tablespoon is not that much, 25 grams. You need much more especially to start the morning.

I like to make a skillet of breakfast potatoes well cooked in butter, scrambled eggs, and hamburger (I like hot sauce on this). My coffee has heavy cream, sugar, and gelatin. Works like a charm.

sprouted lentils + some of that fancy stearic acid spread sold by the croissant diet guy+ 5 or 10 grams of glycine did the trick during a really rough winter project a couple years back. In fact I dont reccomend this recipe unless you're planning on cold exposure, it raises my temperature over 1° F for 5 hours pretty reliably. Oh, and you'll want a toilet close about 12 hours later, so be sure to include that in your calculations.

Jhi66

Hey Peater, how do you make your white coffee?

OP
P

Peater

Ginger tea with honey and lemon can be warming and good for digestion.

I will grab some teabags next time I shop, thank you.

If you want to be warm for outdoor labor, High protein food in the morning is a must. So I would eat as much meat and eggs as you can and also as much starch as desired with your coffee. Whatever starch you prefer. You have the right idea about deep warmth, but its really a radiating warmth. Your meal has some protein and has coffee but this is likely too little protein and calories in general so you are stuck with only a pinch of warmth.

2 teaspoons of sugar is only 8 grams of carbs. Even 2 tablespoon is not that much, 25 grams. You need much more especially to start the morning.

Thanks for putting it like that - I suppose I still have an instinct not to make it too sweet (Don't want to put weight on). I will definitely put more sugar in tomorrow morning as I will have to have omelette as I already bought all the ingredients to make a few!

Dr Peat discussing balancing eggs with enough carbs

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyWcDhIHZio&t=2449s

Really interesting, thank you for sourcing that.

I like to make a skillet of breakfast potatoes well cooked in butter, scrambled eggs, and hamburger (I like hot sauce on this). My coffee has heavy cream, sugar, and gelatin. Works like a charm.

That sounds delicious. Would it re-heat OK? I am out the door for 7am, so I don't have time to cook sadly.

sprouted lentils + some of that fancy stearic acid spread sold by the croissant diet guy+ 5 or 10 grams of glycine did the trick during a really rough winter project a couple years back. In fact I dont reccomend this recipe unless you're planning on cold exposure, it raises my temperature over 1° F for 5 hours pretty reliably. Oh, and you'll want a toilet close about 12 hours later, so be sure to include that in your calculations.
Haha, cheers! Stearic acid sounds like another tick in the coconut oil box, anyway.

OP
P

Peater

Hey Peater, how do you make your white coffee?
I make a really big mug (Almost a tankard!) with 3 scoops of coffee. It's on a timed drip machine so it's made when I wake up at 6am. I use a generous amount of skimmed milk and 2 teaspoons of sugar - as above I think I'm going to add more sugar, and coconut oil to it, if the taste is tolerable. Also I will try cooking the bacon and eggs in coconut oil.

GTW

No need for bags. Powdered ginger is good.
If you want heat try borsch with sour cream. Something in that combination. Vinegar/acid, beets/nitrate, milk fat.

OP
P

Peater

No need for bags. Powdered ginger is good.
If you want heat try borsch with sour cream. Something in that combination. Vinegar/acid, beets/nitrate, milk fat.
Borsch looks good, I'll have to make a batch of it!

Jhi66

I have been thinking about your original question as well. I am a couple of years in on discovery of Peat, and 56 yo who currently works outside in Colorado. I have to be out the door at 6:35. I have been making coffee this way: I use 1 percent store bought milk. Add as much as you want to a sauce pan. (I make enough for a big mug, or two, at breakfast plus 32 ounces to take in a thermos) To the saucepan I add salt, sugar and Medaglia D'oro instant espresso coffee and whisk it all up. (This coffee is not made with water) If I feel particularly needy I will add some cacao butter nibs. (But I am struggling a bit with belly fat) I sip on this whenever during the day.

For a while I was eating 3 eggs for breakfast. But sometimes eggs do not sound good and I'll eat cereal or cheese or something. For me I've found that the sweet salty coffee is kind of the backbone of my calories and it doesn't much matter what I do for food, it will be alright as long as no PUFAs and it doesn't bother digestion too much.

I also am intending on making some true nixtamalized corn (masa) but haven't had time yet.

(I edited a word)

Jhi66

Also, I have to dress wisely. Layers is the way for me. I need wind protection, like keeping it from blowing down my neck. I kind of wear a "uniform", the same clothes everyday, because I know how they respond. I very often get younger people asking if I'm okay, that I'm warm enough, how are my toes and such. They call me in if there is a squall. I recently didn't see the text and got rebuked for not coming in.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom