Need help for my brother's health

toddy

Hello everyone I'm new to this forum I don't know if this is the right forum for my brother's problem. I have an alcoholic brother who has been drunk every day, I' worried for his health I know that there is a lot of harmful effects of abusing alcohol. I can't convince him to stop drinking and to go to hospital. What should I do? I hope someone can help me here.

tara

I think you are right that large and frequent alcohol consumption is hard on health (and on having a life).
I have heard many people recommend alanon as good for family members of people struggling with alcohol addiction.

I think Peat's approach would be to try to meet nutritional needs, assess whether any hormone supplementation is likely to be helpful, and see if these things can reduce craving/dependence on alcohol. He has a story about a man he knew who sobered up for a goal he wanted.
Ray Peat said:
I knew someone who had been addicted to morphine and alcohol for 30 years, who was drinking quarts of beer and wine daily when he didn't have morphine, who had an opportunity for a good job if he could get sober. Starting progesterone at bedtime (and stopping the wine), he said it was the first time he didn't have a hangover in the morning. He used enough progesterone to neuter most people, but said it didn't affect his sex function; he was taking a lot of Cytomel and magnesium, but wasn't drunk again as long as I knew him, and his general health improved.

I think if you can get some thiamine in him, which is very hard when drinking, it will stop the progression of the habit. Even just eating more and drinking more coffee with sugar will stop the craving, the inebriation is just a placeholder until you discover other ways to get energy, and it stops being interesting after that.

OP
T

toddy

But I can't convince him to stop. I don't want to force because it will get worse, maybe I need to convince him first to stop drinking and to go to the hospital to give him a general check up. Thank you for the advice guys.

marcar72

As Tara mentioned, you should check out some Al-anon meetings. It's for loved ones of alcoholics. Basically they'll probably tell you there's nothing you can really do to help except to not help. Don't be an enabler, they'll say.

Basically you have to have a tough love approach to it. If you're brother drinks and gets fired from his job, then asks you for rent money... don't do it. Stuff like that. Don't enable his poor choices. Let him feel the full repercussions of his alcoholic behavior. Maybe he'll then "see the light" and go to Alcoholics' Anonymous.

So Al-anon is definately where you'll find the answers you're looking for. What I provided is just a very general overview of how they deal with it. Don't let your brother's disease make you sick. :2cents

OP
T

toddy

Ah, okay now I understand. Well, thank you guys. I hope I can convince him to stop drinking.

toddy said:
Ah, okay now I understand. Well, thank you guys. I hope I can convince him to stop drinking.

Rather, convince him to try some foods and supplements. You can't even drink when your stomach is full.

OP
T

toddy

Oh, this is a good technique, I'm going to try this. Thanks!

OP
T

toddy

Hey guys just want to say thank you for all the support and help. I've already convince him.

Amazoniac

Hi!

Honestly, I don't think you did if when you say that you convinced him you meant to stop drinking, rather than adopting a better diet and lifestyle. But it's great that he is willing to..
Also, I don't believe it's going to be that simple. Promises most of the time are only worth in the moment. If you are starving, deficient or overly stressed; it will speak louder than any promise.
If he doesn't have a deep reason to do the change, he won't, just like any of us wouldn't. And as Marcar pointed out, feeling the consequences (alone) and knowing that there is a better route (offered by you) is the best strategy. But he has to face it to decide by himself.

In an interview, Jim Morrison said:
"I offer images — I conjure memories of freedom that can still be reached — like the Doors, right? But we can only open the doors, we can't drag people through. I can't free them unless they want to be free."

It applies pretty well in your case.

Edit:
In other words, showing is more effective than saying.

Amazoniac said:
Hi!

Honestly, I don't think you did if when you say that you convinced him you meant to stop drinking, rather than adopting a better diet and lifestyle. But it's great that he is willing to..
Also, I don't believe it's going to be that simple. Promises most of the time are only worth in the moment. If you are starving, deficient or overly stressed; it will speak louder than any promise.
If he doesn't have a deep reason to do the change, he won't, just like any of us wouldn't. And as Marcar pointed out, feeling the consequences (alone) and knowing that there is a better route (offered by you) is the best strategy. But he has to face it to decide by himself.

In an interview, Jim Morrison said:
"I offer images — I conjure memories of freedom that can still be reached — like the Doors, right? But we can only open the doors, we can't drag people through. I can't free them unless they want to be free."

It applies pretty well in your case.

Edit:
In other words, showing is more effective than saying.

If you know what it's like to physically crave whiskey then you understand how simple this is: it stops being alluring.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals