2 months on Dr Garrett Smith regime (flush niacin)- HAIR GOING GRAY!!!

ddjd

I dont want to scare monger but im nearly 40, never had an issue with hair going grey whatsoever- 10 years of peating and niacinamide that whole time. Started around 1g of flush niacin every few days, 2 months ago and my girlfriend has now found a lot of gray hairs for the first time ever this week whilst cutting my hair.

in one of the garrett smith telegram groups, some interesting comments of other people having similar observations:

1712673244390.png

1712673452183.png

anyone else had similar issues?

DanDare

Forum Supporter
I have not done it as I view supplements or hormones and drugs as the last resort and haven't used those either as one can go badly wrong quickly or spend a lot of money one could have spent on food.

High dose niacin was not essential to the detox process for Grant Genereux, of that we can be sure.

The theories on what is happening sound like wild speculation to me.

Is there any scientific evidence for the idea it is assisting vitamin A liver detox? I doubt it somehow because it is a difficult study requiring liver biopsy.

I don't see why it should be an acute event either, surely keeping the dose smaller and evenly spread it out to prevent stresses on homeostasis would be a better approach. Approaching detox as theTortoise rather than the Hare.

mosaic01

He's right that he's probably driving too much stuff out of the liver into tissues.

It could be related to the detox of stored heavy metals, like copper, iron, lead, mercury, etc.

Some people need to be on binders (bentonite, activated charcoal multiple times per day) before they push cellular detox. Generally, niacin will probably push the detoxification of everything, including vA, as it boosts phase-2 detox enzymes. If someone goes too fast, things can get problematic.

Smith seems to push certain things as "the solution", while it's better to think of supplement as tools that can be of help depending on the situation, but are not necessary for everyone all the time. There should be no pressure to take certain things. Binders are essential though.

If problems appear, it's wise to stop supplementation, instead of forcing the issue. The problem is not with niacin, but with some people just being too toxic to be able to deal with it. Some people also may have deficiencies in other b-vitamins or minerals that get aggravated.

Last edited:

youngsinatra

The problem is not with niacin, but with some people just being too toxic to be able to deal with it. Some people also may have deficiencies in other b-vitamins or minerals that get aggravated.
Exactly. Pushing single B vitamins always causes problems for me. I need balanced amounts of B5, biotin, B12, folate, riboflavin, thiamine etc etc.

Peater

The usual answer would be copper deficiency but there is a site I found where the guy's thing is high dose copper and he is grey all over.

I have some white hairs coming through in my stubble (Pre low VA) i am using as an indicator. No change yet.

I wonder if it's too much tryptophan.

Riboflavin is extremely important in vit A metabolism as far as i found out.

Last edited:

Validus

He's right that he's probably driving too much stuff out of the liver into tissues.

It could be related to the detox of stored heavy metals, like copper, iron, lead, mercury, etc.

Some people need to be on binders (bentonite, activated charcoal multiple times per day) before they push cellular detox. Generally, niacin will probably push the detoxification of everything, including vA, as it boosts phase-2 detox enzymes. If someone goes too fast, things can get problematic.

Smith seems to push certain things as "the solution", while it's better to think of supplement as tools that can be of help depending on the situation, but are not necessary for everyone all the time. There should be no pressure to take certain things. Binders are essential though.

If problems appear, it's wise to stop supplementation, instead of forcing the issue. The problem is not with niacin, but with some people just being too toxic to be able to deal with it. Some people also may have deficiencies in other b-vitamins or minerals that get aggravated.
What type of binder protocol do you like? I've used zeolite and activated charcoal in the past, but I've never been 100% on if taking them mixed together is ok. The only research I've seen on combining them together is for water filtration and waste water management. Adding them together in that context did boost their efficacy, but there's very little on human consumption.

So my question I suppose is do you combine them? Do you pulse them throughout the day? When and how much if so?

Peater

Also just realised that the standard/starting Low A diet is very low in biotin which is said to be related to greying. Probably OK for the co-factor B5 pantothenic acid though.

DanDare

Forum Supporter
Also just realised that the standard/starting Low A diet is very low in biotin which is said to be related to greying. Probably OK for the co-factor B5 pantothenic acid though.

That and and high carb diets use more B1, and refined grains are low in it, AND struggling livers tend to make that problem much worse. So we have a triple threat before things improve liver wise.

Peater

That and and high carb diets use more B1, and refined grains are low in it, AND struggling livers tend to make that problem much worse. So we have a triple threat before things improve liver wise.
Yes I was surprised by how little B1 and B2 minced beef has too, I assumed it was high in all of them.

Clyde

I dont want to scare monger but im nearly 40, never had an issue with hair going grey whatsoever- 10 years of peating and niacinamide that whole time. Started around 1g of flush niacin every few days, 2 months ago and my girlfriend has now found a lot of gray hairs for the first time ever this week whilst cutting my hair.
Did your diet change at all around this time? Every time I try and link something I changed to this or that I remember that I changed a bunch of things around the same time and can't really draw any conclusions.

RealNeat

have you watched all of Chris Masterjohns warnings and tips for using Niacin/ Niacinamide/ NR/ NMN etc.. ?

DanDare

Forum Supporter
Yes I was surprised by how little B1 and B2 minced beef has too, I assumed it was high in all of them.

Yes and people are soaking everything and discarding the water and so likely losing the vitamins futher.

I know the toxins are a problem, but there isn't a way to remove the toxins without removing the vitamins.

I am exprienting with whole (brown) rice at the moment. I soak for at least 12 hours,then cook, and it is very nice and fluffy. It is trickier finding the non parboiled brown, which I cannot believe is as good as fresh rice.

OP
ddjd

ddjd

How much zinc are you ingesting?
Around 50mg zinc citrate every few days.

But I have completely stopped copper supplementation since starting on the Garrett approach also

Andy316

I'm close to 40 and I am greying too. I don't take any supplements and my diet is low niacin (I hope my parboiled rice is not enriched with it since nothing is mentioned on the bag). My uric acid is high at 7.1, dunno if this is same for you but I read high uric acid creates ROS that contributes to grey hair.

Andy316

BTW, doesn't tryptophan get converted to niacin through some pathway? In this case maybe a low tryptophan diet might help.

Jabuger

I have noticed many worrying things from doing this kind of diet that I wouldn’t just attribute to detox

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals