4-6 Hours Max - Why?

LadyRae

But if he gained fat, then he wasn't in a deficit.
A deficit from the high fat Weston Price diet? How can anyone know exactly what is an accurate deficit is anyway? Is he currently losing weight? I don't think he is.

My point is that eating more hasn't been helping him sleep. Eating more didn't help me sleep better either.

Reverse dieting is extremely individual. I adamantly do not believe that eating more food is going to cure people... like I hear around here a lot.

I think it's more likely that people are eating too much at once and are eating foods that are causing digestive distress which will definitely wake one up in the night..

Limon9

My point is that eating more hasn't been helping him sleep. Eating more didn't help me sleep better either.
Lol - that's exactly what OP came here to ask about today, after eating a whole pint of ice cream before bed and sleeping better.

LadyRae

Lol - that's exactly what OP came here to ask about today, after eating a whole pint of ice cream before bed and sleeping better.
That doesn't have anything to do with eating more or less. We don't have any idea what else he's eating in a day. Also, his better sleep could have been because the ice cream was low fiber and easy to digest sugars and fat.

Limon9

That doesn't have anything to do with eating more or less. We don't have any idea what else he's eating in a day. Also, his better sleep could have been because the ice cream was low fiber and easy to digest sugars and fat.
. . .

In the past I’ve tried a couple spoons of honey before bed, some OJ, maybe a little ice cream, but never really noticed much. But last night was a lot of sugar.

So my question - how much does it take to fill up these glycogen stores to carry sleep through the night? Does it depend on daily factors like caloric deficit/exercise/stress? I’m assuming it does. Is it all relative, or is there a thought, for example, that 2tsp of honey is sufficient no matter what?

Thanks
So according to you the pint of ice cream helped with sleep because it's low-fiber, but orange juice and honey and smaller portions of ice cream do nothing because they're... what? High-fiber? Come on. You obviously replied before even reading the post. But your observation about food choice is right - escaping calorie deficit with irritating foods might not produce the same results, and even acidic juices can shock the intestine. You're overestimating the value of your own experience and ignoring OPs actual context which is...
1900 calories is extremely low for anybody. That + excess caffeine is a recipe for poor sleep.
Eating 1900 calories per day as a 5'9, 190-pound male.

OP
D

DBCoast

Do y’all think my 490 cal deficit is that detrimental? I’m not hungry nor do I feel like I’m under eating.

Limon9

Do y’all think my 490 cal deficit is that detrimental? I’m not hungry nor do I feel like I’m under eating.
It's definitely not to be written off, since you seemed to benefit from having more. But a confirmation can only come from repetition.

LadyRae

So according to you the pint of ice cream helped with sleep because it's low-fiber, but orange juice and honey and smaller portions of ice cream do nothing because they're... what? High-fiber? Come on. You obviously replied before even reading the post. But your observation about food choice is right - escaping calorie deficit with irritating foods might not produce the same results, and even acidic juices can shock the intestine. You're overestimating the value of your own experience and ignoring OPs actual context which is...

Eating 1900 calories per day as a 5'9, 190-pound male.
I've read the whole thread. I take issue with strangers telling someone they are eating too little. It's great that ice cream before bed helped him get 1.5 hours extra sleep (after still waking up after 6 hours, btw). But that doesn't mean his 1900 calorie diet is too little.

Korven

Yeah I would say 1900 calories is not enough for most adult males. And being in a caloric deficit is probably not a good idea if you're already experiencing insomnia/adrenaline symptoms (undereating raises stress hormones).

Do you feel better, or sleep better, when eating at maintenance or a caloric surplus?

OP
D

DBCoast

Thanks, guys. Appreciate everyone’s input. Y’all have given me some things to consider.

OP
D

DBCoast

Yeah I would say 1900 calories is not enough for most adult males. And being in a caloric deficit is probably not a good idea if you're already experiencing insomnia/adrenaline symptoms (undereating raises stress hormones).

Do you feel better, or sleep better, when eating at maintenance or a caloric surplus?
Not really. I feel uncomfortable if I eat too many calories and gain weight rapidly. I’ve been feeling ok at my current cals. Feels good to be slightly hungry after a walk. It doesn’t feel like a deficit in terms of hunger or energy. But I can understand how I could need more. I might bump it up and see what happens.

aniciete

Maybe, maybe not. No one can accurately make such claims for someone else.
Adult male who is 5’9 190 eating less than 2000 calories, probably not even reaching his daily micronutrient needs. Also drinking coffee from 5 tbsps of beans on top of that? Come on lmao.

LadyRae

Adult male who is 5’9 190 eating less than 2000 calories, probably not even reaching his daily micronutrient needs. Also drinking coffee from 5 tbsps of beans on top of that? Come on lmao.
You STILL do not know if that's too much or too little. You are not him.

OP
D

DBCoast

I hit micros pretty well. Usually low in E and K though.

LadyRae

I hit micros pretty well. Usually low in E and K though.
You seem to be doing a great job experimenting and paying close attention to the consequences. Only you will know how to proceed. There are lots of great ideas within this forum but ultimately ... Think, perceive, act will guide your path.

TheCodez

I think I have a very similar problem. I almost always fall asleep in under 5 minutes but fail to be able to stay in bed more than 6 hours and frequently less. The only recent exceptions have been when I had about 3/4 of a large pizza or some other equivalently large meal immediately before bed. On those nights my sleep can literally double to 12 hours.

OP
D

DBCoast

You seem to be doing a great job experimenting and paying close attention to the consequences. Only you will know how to proceed. There are lots of great ideas within this forum but ultimately ... Think, perceive, act will guide your path.
Thanks, @LadyRae. Always appreciate your insight.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals