Autism, Charcoal, Endotoxin, My Experience

tara

@tara would colostrum powder work in your flourless ginger cookies?
I have no idea - but I don't see why not - I guess if it's already powdered, whatever properties might be damaged by heating are already gone?
Do you think it is worth it? There are only 10-15% of nuts in Nutella and is made with refined palm oil. I looked up the organic spreads but they have around 50% nuts and are made with sunflower oil, so I figured Nutella is ok?
I don't know. I did read the label on the nutella a while ago because one of mine likes it - I think I assumed on the basis of the total and saturated fats that it had a fair bit of PUFA. Now I've looked up the nutritiondata listing for it, it looks like it's mostly monounsaturated. So then maybe not so bad, depending on quantity. If you have no reason to suspect significant issues with the nuts themselves (may be a bit hard to digest), it may not be a big deal at all. Sorry for the red herrring.
I tried making variants, and he initially said he liked them, but then didn't eat the rest of the jar. I thought the coconut version was delicious myself, but I'm trying not to over do the chocolate for my own reasons.

jaguar43

Does anyone have anything from Ray Peat on treating autism on children? I found some general stuff on his website but with kids it's so tricky, dosing, thyroid, refusing diary, etc. I so wish I could pay RP to give me some answers. Everyone else is afraid to touch the topic especially if it concerns kids. I asked Benedcte, she told me that she had no experience treating autism. So what's next then? I feel I could really make a progress with her if I had the right info. So frustrating...

Have you looked into using thyroid ? Using Thyroid in combination with other things should improve her symptoms. I would look into using pregnenolone as well.

There is a source of quotes collected by the forum which describes dosing thyroid

Peatarian.com Email Exchanges - Ray Peat Forum Wiki

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

Have you looked into using thyroid ? Using Thyroid in combination with other things should improve her symptoms. I would look into using pregnenolone as well.

There is a source of quotes collected by the forum which describes dosing thyroid

Peatarian.com Email Exchanges - Ray Peat Forum Wiki
Thank you, I'm looking into it right now actually. I will be getting some of Haidut's and experiment on myself first, getting used to tracking both mine and her temps and will see.

Xisca

@Makrosky squatting is not placebo. It helps and works. I learned that in India. Not only because of positioning and shape change which is beneficial, but in yogic terms, it descends the Apanu Vayu - the wind in the body that helps with intestinal elimination.

To mimic that position without needing to squat, I use a yoga block for my feet when I sit on the toilet. I think you can also find like devices on Amazon for this purpose.
Yes you can find whatever you have at home without buying anything!
Even before I knew about this, I had adopted a very special posture: feet tiptoed and bent forward body. I did it instinctively.
This means that at least the angle between thighs and body can be the more important factor.

So, you do not have to change your toilet, you do not have to buy a device in order to squat above your toilet.... and you can still enjoy being sitted.

Xisca

I don't get it either. If it was just serotonin, it would be so easy. But as many autistic kids as there are, there are probably equally as many treatments, approaches. I have decided against giving her charcoal regularly, but I will give it to her if her behaviour gets particularly bad. I am working on her eating carrot again. It takes me 2 hours of constant reminders and threats and bribing to get her to eat one small carrot at the moment, but I hope we will get there. I forbid her favourite chocolate or disney princess film or whatever it takes if she doesn't eat the carrot. I'm hoping that overtime she'll accept it. I will however still take charcoal regularly because I find it so helpful with bloating and endotoxin caused by anxiety.
I have a book that could be good for you... The GAPS diet. She is a doctor who had a child with these issues, and she Works with children in her practise.
This diet is starch free.
Of course her use of almond flour is not advisable from Peating point of view. She tried to solve parents issues first, who need to find what their children accept to eat! Recipes are varied in the book.
Lots of bone broth.
She says dairy are not fine at the beginning.

And what she says about how to work with behaviour can be very interresting for you.
I bought the book to know more about the link between gut and mind.

A better than forbid exemple: she discribes the progression you might need, because she talks a loooooooot about starch cravings! How to get them to eat something else?

Your ideal aim would be to get them to eat a piece of carrot in order to get a chocolate. My experience with this sort of issue is that you must create a relationship between her VOLUNTARY action to get what she wants. You empower her in a way or another, as you make her enter in a cause and consequence effect she can handle.
If instead of talking she would take a slice of carot you have in a plate on the table, and as an automatic result this would make you get up and give her a piece of chocolate each time... you see it?
The reverse is that she feels you force her instead of her having to find the strategy to get what she wants.
The book discribes the process to reverse this.
You might want to look for daily life situation to practise this. When she DOES something spontaneously, she gets a reward.
It is strange that this way of doing is known but has resulted in more application with animals, just because it does not involve talk. If you get a book about clicker training, all film animals learn their role this way... you will learn about how positive reinforcement Works in theory.

Here is a more practical idea: give her the same as usual amount of chocolate. Then you tell her that here are the carrots, and that she is free to take some when she wants, and that will result in her having an extra piece of chocolate. You do not fight the rigidity, and you give her some power to get something she wants. Of course this would be a sart that you would modify with time, like bigger carrot for the same amount of chocolate etc.

Have you tried to make wok style veggies in coconut oil?
They are half cooked and crunchy. So you can go for carrots this way too... in a mix.

jaguar43

Thank you, I'm looking into it right now actually. I will be getting some of Haidut's and experiment on myself first, getting used to tracking both mine and her temps and will see.

I think it's important to add that the only thyroid products recommended by Peat are novotiral, t3-pr0 ( from anti-aging systems).Peat has said that novotiral is almost as good as cynoplus.

JanU

I don't know if this has been discussed or mentioned in the forum, but are you familiar with Kerry Rivera's work with autistic children? She found that kids with autism have an insane amount of parasites and developed a protocol that so far, has helped to recover a lot of children. I think the charcoal works great because of the heavy load of toxins courtesy of parasites. Take a look at her site in Home - CD Autism - Kerri Rivera - CDAUTISM.ORG

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

I don't know if this has been discussed or mentioned in the forum, but are you familiar with Kerry Rivera's work with autistic children? She found that kids with autism have an insane amount of parasites and developed a protocol that so far, has helped to recover a lot of children. I think the charcoal works great because of the heavy load of toxins courtesy of parasites. Take a look at her site in Home - CD Autism - Kerri Rivera - CDAUTISM.ORG
wasn't there some scandal around using this chemical? I don't know much but sounds scary...?

Mittir

@Mittir , which antibiotic has been used for autism?

This was not a study but an observation of a parent.
"The latest link is courtesy of John Rodakis, a medical venture capitalist who published a report today on how his son’s autism symptoms improved dramatically while the child was taking an antibiotic. The boy was put on the prescription antibiotic amoxicillin to treat strep throat."
Boy with Autism Improves on Antibiotics, Connecting Gut Bacteria to ASD

Mittir

wasn't there some scandal around using this chemical? I don't know much but sounds scary...?

You can use fruits like raw or ripe papaya, pineapple or kiwi
as anti-parasite. It should be taken separate from the meal.
Protease enzymes in these fruits has anti-inflammatory and
anti-parasitic effect.

Sucrates

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

anti-parasitic effect.
I would love to, however I'm sorely disappointed with the quality of fruit. Everything so unripe and sour.:( I really struggle getting enough fruit sugar in me. I'm sick of eating cooked fruit and purée at the moment. I'm having strong cravings for fresh OJ, but had a few bad experiences with sour oranges/tangerines recently. I feel like it's particularly bad this autumn/winter..

Prota

anti-parasitic effect.
Mittir, what do you think about frozen tart cherry's as a source of fruit sugar (300-400g/day)?

Soren

Forum Supporter
Nice. :)

You may find it cheaper to buy larger quantities of powder. I've used a couple of very heaped teaspoons at a dose (mixed very thoroughly in water by shaking a lot in a closed bottle). Health natura has one option.

Did you find the health natura product easy to consume? I would prefer to use it as it is granular and reduces the risk of persorption. I've heard that due to the fact it is granular it is very difficult to get down and when put in water it is like trying to drink sand. I was thinking about adding it to a smoothie because then it would be just like seeds.

tara

Did you find the health natura product easy to consume? I would prefer to use it as it is granular and reduces the risk of persorption. I've heard that due to the fact it is granular it is very difficult to get down and when put in water it is like trying to drink sand. I was thinking about adding it to a smoothie because then it would be just like seeds.
I actually bought a finer powder from charcoal house before health natura put out their more granular product. I think next time I'll go for granular to reduce persorption risk.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals