EASY "PEATY" PROTEINS - Recipes with photos & Step By Step Instructions

Vileplume

No. I wondered too, but considering mct isn't natural I wasn't too worried about the milder liquid one.
According to this article, it becomes "fractionated" when they remove the lauric acid, which is the main MCT in coconut oil. It still has some MCTs without lauric acid, but the coconut oil becomes less MCT and more LCT (long chain fatty acids) with the fractionating process.

Coconut_Oil_Fatty_Acid_Distribution_large.jpg

OP
Rinse & rePeat
According to this article, it becomes "fractionated" when they remove the lauric acid, which is the main MCT in coconut oil. It still has some MCTs without lauric acid, but the coconut oil becomes less MCT and more LCT (long chain fatty acids) with the fractionating process.

View attachment 25036
That still would be better than cooking oils wouldn't it? Especially considering we only use a tablespoon or two in a batch of homemade tortillas.

Vileplume

That still would be better than cooking oils wouldn't it? Especially considering we only use a tablespoon or two in a batch of homemade tortillas.
Most definitely. It's still the highest proportion of saturated fats that I know if, so I think it would still beat every other oil, aside from the ones that solidify in the fridge. Let me know how the tortillas turn out! If they stay flexible, I would like to try using that oil too.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Most definitely. It's still the highest proportion of saturated fats that I know if, so I think it would still beat every other oil, aside from the ones that solidify in the fridge. Let me know how the tortillas turn out! If they stay flexible, I would like to try using that oil too.
Ok! I will!

Jennifer

I’ve been using the LouAna brand fractionated coconut oil in my baking for over a year now and it works well. I haven’t cooked with it, but my mum told me her eggs stick to the pan with it.

@Rinse & rePeat, I hope you don’t mind me asking this question since it’s a protein thread, but would you happen to know if there is any benefit to consuming gelatin if a person, who follows Ray’s dietary recommendations, doesn’t consume meat? I’m almost certain Ray has talked about gelatin in the context of a vegetarian diet, but I haven’t been able to find the quote.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
That is a good question Jennifer, and yes Ray Peat does recommend gelatin for non-meat eaters to balance tryptophan, which is high in milk, cheese and egg whites. I think if you aren't even eating dairy that the skin by itself is far healthier than the muscle meats. He compares muscle meats to being equal to processed foods. The skin is not only void of tryptophan and high in protein, but it also has no iron to deal with. I am not speaking about boiled bones or canned gelatin, but cooked skin from pork rinds and a cartilage cooked bone broths.

"It happens that gelatin is a protein which contains no tryptophan, and only small amounts of cysteine, methionine, and histidine. Using gelatin as a major dietary protein is an easy way to restrict the amino acids that are associated with many of the problems of aging." -Ray Peat

Jennifer

Okay, thank you, @Rinse & rePeat. I thought the calcium in milk was protective in that regard, but wasn’t sure if there were any other benefits to consuming gelatin beyond the restriction of the inflammatory amino acids.

Jennifer

Good skin and joints too!

Have you ever followed Ray’s dietary recommendations without meat in your diet and if so, did the gelatin still have a positive effect on your skin and joints?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Have you ever followed Ray’s dietary recommendations without meat in your diet and if so, did the gelatin still have a positive effect on your skin and joints?
Well I don't feel convinced about the canned powdered gelatin and can't deal with the oxalates in the store bought broths. Plus I can't tolerate the flouride that the store bought broths have accumulated in them, I'm sure. So making my own feels great. I have never been a big meat eater, maybe corn and soy free chicken wings once or twice a month, otherwise I just don't love meat. I don't mind a slice of meatloaf with a fruity sweet topping or bits of it in something, but I eat mostly dairy, fruit, seafood and gelatin.

Jennifer

Well I don't feel convinced about the canned powdered gelatin and can't deal with the oxalates in the store bought broths. Plus I can't tolerate the flouride that the store bought broths have accumulated in them, I'm sure. So making my own feels great. I have never been a big meat eater, maybe corn and soy free chicken wings once or twice a month, otherwise I just don't love meat. I don't mind a slice of meatloaf with a fruity sweet topping or bits of it in something, but I eat mostly dairy, fruit, seafood and gelatin.

Okay, thank you for explaining. I asked because gelatin helped with soothing my gut when I had gastritis, but I don’t recall experiencing any of the other benefits people report experiencing with gelatin so I wasn’t sure if it had to do with the overall diet.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Okay, thank you for explaining. I asked because gelatin helped with soothing my gut when I had gastritis, but I don’t recall experiencing any of the other benefits people report experiencing with gelatin so I wasn’t sure if it had to do with the overall diet.
Yeah my husband has been taking the green can lately for some back pain from a tetnus shot last year and he thinks it helps, but it gives him digestive issues if he takes it more than two days in a row. I can get away with a tablespoon in some milk with a meal, when I don't have anything else, but I feel there is some unwanted histamines that go with that canned powdered stuff. Now when I make jello with the orange can there is no issues.

Jennifer

Yeah my husband has been taking the green can lately for some back pain from a tetnus shot last year and he thinks it helps, but it gives him digestive issues if he takes it more than two days in a row. I can get away with a tablespoon in some milk with a meal, when I don't have anything else, but I feel there is some unwanted histamines that go with that canned powdered stuff. Now when I make jello with the orange can there is no issues.

I have an issue with the hydrolysate, too, but also the gelatin so now I wonder if it has to do with histamines. I get stuffy sinuses and a migraine from both. I don’t recall having an issue with gelatinous broth, though.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I have an issue with the hydrolysate, too, but also the gelatin so now I wonder if it has to do with histamines. I get stuffy sinuses and a migraine from both. I don’t recall having an issue with gelatinous broth, though.
That is it! It is bloating with the histamines too. Plus Ray talks about those long cooked broths having heavy metals. How in the world is it cooked to a powder like that and not using up a lot more bones than we would normally use cooking one for 3 to 5 hours?

Jennifer

That is it! It is bloating with the histamines too. Plus Ray talks about those long cooked broths having heavy metals. How in the world is it cooked to a powder like that and not using up a lot more bones than we would normally use cooking one for 3 to 5 hours?

Are there any brands that use bones to make their powdered gelatin? All the powdered gelatins I’ve tried were made from the skins.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals