Endotoxin (LPS) drives obesity, diabetes and CVD in young people

EvanHinkle

@EvanHinkle

Do you take the charcoal on an empty stomach? And when do you take it during the day?
It kinda depends. There’s some research that says it interferes with nutrient absorption, (and some that says that research is poorly designed). I keep in mind it “could” affect nutrient absorption and so typically take it at night before bed.

However, if I eat or take something and it generates a terrible reaction my mindset has been that suffering the pain of the endotoxin is not worth “properly absorbing my nutrients.” Nothing is worth suffering for, and another nutritious meal or helpful supplement will be coming soon. Therefore, if I have a poor reaction and it’s early in the day, I’d take the charcoal anyway even if I had resolved to take it at night. Let’s face it, if something is generating endotoxin symptoms what’s the chance I’m “properly absorbing” my nutrients anyway?

When I first realized the charcoal was helping I took 2 tablespoons in 8oz of water after every meal, (again, I spent years with keto, carnivore, fasting, vegetarian, and veganism, so to be concerned about any deleterious effect from charcoal at this point is moot for me-it made me feel better, and that was enough for me). I did this for about 2 weeks, and then moved to once a day at night, or as needed.

Currently I take it only as needed and that tends to work out to maybe 2-3 times a month. Still dermatitis free, but I also know the familiar itchy sting that is a prelude to the oozing scales, so then I reach for the charcoal.

In some people it is constipating. I’ve found baking soda, (1/2 teaspoon dissolved in a small amount of water a few times a day) to keep my bowels moving. For a real treat I will use baking soda in orange juice, grape juice, or apple juice. Mixed with orange juice it makes sodium citrate which is great for acid base balance as discussed in the famous Amazoniac thread that my phone isn’t allowing me to link right now.

EvanHinkle

So what can we do to decrease endotoxins? in this thread I read eating pomegranate, how often?

Then haidut mentioned HEPA air purifiers increase endotoxin, I mentioned if running the purifier at the lowest speed would still cause endotoxins but haidut never replies to this. My bedroom has poor ventilation so I benefit from the purifier, however now im paranoid im releasing endotoxin into the air. Thanks haidut.
I used activated charcoal to do it and it worked very well.

ReSTART

So what can we do to decrease endotoxins? in this thread I read eating pomegranate, how often?

Then haidut mentioned HEPA air purifiers increase endotoxin, I mentioned if running the purifier at the lowest speed would still cause endotoxins but haidut never replies to this. My bedroom has poor ventilation so I benefit from the purifier, however now im paranoid im releasing endotoxin into the air. Thanks haidut.
food like carrot salad with vinegar, bamboo shoots. activated charcoal works the best but is really strong, make sure you buy high quality charcoal. cheap charcoal will make you sick.

things that increase endotoxin
PUFA
stress, anxiety
anything hard to digest or greasy and oily (deep fried chicken, fast food burgers, etc)

things that reduce endotoxin
insoluble raw fibre (grated carrots, bamboo shoots)
orange juice
sunlight and red light
exercise

hepa filter will help you by reducing pollution too, any kind of pollution such as car exhaust, burning propane gas, smoking meat fumes will increase stress and endotoxin

Korven

In Eastern medicine, dermatitis or eczema is a sign of a buildup of fire (bile acids) in the body, and soil (bile acid sequestrant) is one of the options to put out the fire!

Thanks for sharing this information!

I still have a hard time wrapping my head around this - I know there are several studies showing taking exogenous bile acids helps skin diseases like psoriasis due to their soap-like detergent anti-endotoxin action, but at the same taking bile acid sequestrants also help? Maybe it's a fine balance of not too little and not too much? Or preventing bile from entering the bloodstream.

It kinda depends. There’s some research that says it interferes with nutrient absorption, (and some that says that research is poorly designed). I keep in mind it “could” affect nutrient absorption and so typically take it at night before bed.

However, if I eat or take something and it generates a terrible reaction my mindset has been that suffering the pain of the endotoxin is not worth “properly absorbing my nutrients.” Nothing is worth suffering for, and another nutritious meal or helpful supplement will be coming soon. Therefore, if I have a poor reaction and it’s early in the day, I’d take the charcoal anyway even if I had resolved to take it at night. Let’s face it, if something is generating endotoxin symptoms what’s the chance I’m “properly absorbing” my nutrients anyway?

When I first realized the charcoal was helping I took 2 tablespoons in 8oz of water after every meal, (again, I spent years with keto, carnivore, fasting, vegetarian, and veganism, so to be concerned about any deleterious effect from charcoal at this point is moot for me-it made me feel better, and that was enough for me). I did this for about 2 weeks, and then moved to once a day at night, or as needed.

Currently I take it only as needed and that tends to work out to maybe 2-3 times a month. Still dermatitis free, but I also know the familiar itchy sting that is a prelude to the oozing scales, so then I reach for the charcoal.

In some people it is constipating. I’ve found baking soda, (1/2 teaspoon dissolved in a small amount of water a few times a day) to keep my bowels moving. For a real treat I will use baking soda in orange juice, grape juice, or apple juice. Mixed with orange juice it makes sodium citrate which is great for acid base balance as discussed in the famous Amazoniac thread that my phone isn’t allowing me to link right now.

Wow thanks that is really helpful.

I'm taking 2 tsp charcoal morning and night now and it may be a little soon to draw any meaningful conclusions but I feel like skin is calmer and brain is working much better. It's weird I have literally tried 50+ supplements to get rid of my chronic endotoxin malaise but I've never thought to take some activated charcoal which is one of the most basic treatments for endotoxemia. I guess I thought it wouldn't be that helpful?

If this stops skin inflammation permanently and I don't have to worry about using any cream on my face ever again, I will send you $5 on paypal so you can buy yourself a coffee.

EvanHinkle

I still have a hard time wrapping my head around this - I know there are several studies showing taking exogenous bile acids helps skin diseases like psoriasis due to their soap-like detergent anti-endotoxin action, but at the same taking bile acid sequestrants also help? Maybe it's a fine balance of not too little and not too much? Or preventing bile from entering the bloodstream.

Wow thanks that is really helpful.

I'm taking 2 tsp charcoal morning and night now and it may be a little soon to draw any meaningful conclusions but I feel like skin is calmer and brain is working much better. It's weird I have literally tried 50+ supplements to get rid of my chronic endotoxin malaise but I've never thought to take some activated charcoal which is one of the most basic treatments for endotoxemia. I guess I thought it wouldn't be that helpful?

If this stops skin inflammation permanently and I don't have to worry about using any cream on my face ever again, I will send you $5 on paypal so you can buy yourself a coffee.
Awesome! If I can spare one fellow human the searing, chronic pain, (not to mention embarrassment) of dermatitis… man, that’s the reward right there. The pain is bad enough, but the looks from others like you’re some kind or leper or possibly contagious is just so demoralizing, (at least it was for me anyway).

EvanHinkle

I still have a hard time wrapping my head around this - I know there are several studies showing taking exogenous bile acids helps skin diseases like psoriasis due to their soap-like detergent anti-endotoxin action, but at the same taking bile acid sequestrants also help? Maybe it's a fine balance of not too little and not too much? Or preve

This is very interesting to me. It’s been noted before that endotoxin in the gut isn’t really the issue, rather it’s endotoxin in the bloodstream, (which obviously implies leaky gut). Perhaps the bile is attempting to mop up the endotoxin and the leaky gut spills the endotoxin saturated bile into the bloodstream?

I too had some success with ox-bile, not to the degree of activated charcoal, but some symptom mitigation nonetheless. Perhaps supplemental bile assists by diluting the saturation of endotoxin in the bile and lowering the inflammatory load in the total, (supplemental and endogenous) bile. Perhaps that’s easier for the body to process in some way?

Ultimately stress reduction is going to be key in sealing the gut to keep the endotoxin contained. Glycine and gelatin consumption would probably be a good idea alongside stress reduction and endotoxin management.

David PS

rayban

food like carrot salad with vinegar, bamboo shoots. activated charcoal works the best but is really strong, make sure you buy high quality charcoal. cheap charcoal will make you sick.

things that increase endotoxin
PUFA
stress, anxiety
anything hard to digest or greasy and oily (deep fried chicken, fast food burgers, etc)

things that reduce endotoxin
insoluble raw fibre (grated carrots, bamboo shoots)
orange juice
sunlight and red light
exercise

hepa filter will help you by reducing pollution too, any kind of pollution such as car exhaust, burning propane gas, smoking meat fumes will increase stress and endotoxin

Well so if HEPA helps, what helps more, the reduction of pollution, or not using it because it releases endotoxin according to haidut?

The carrot really has to be taken alone by itself? who does this? I tried to eat some carrot salad, the famous one, and it just fills my stomatch, I get this feel of satiation when I just eat some carrot, and 20 min after the snack I went to do my walking and I still felt satiated. I like the feel of being hungry after walking for one hour, and eating the carrot salad ruins this. On the other hand, if I have a quick snack of some toast with mermalade, or chocolate or something, I don't feel this satiation feel while not being hungry during walking. I tried the carrot salad with EVOO which is better than this coconut oil thing, added some salt to it, added some vinegar... it doesn't matter, I don't seem to tolerate carrot this way too well.

There has to be more anti endotoxin stuff that tastes good. What about buying some pomegranate juice? you mentioned pomegranate. Im already adding pomegranate 3 times a week, I like it with a spoon of sugar, perhaps I could buy some juice. This way I could balance some PUFA on the diet as well, because a lot of tasty stuff has some of it. I like to have some bread with fried eggs for instance, that's some PUFA on the bread. I haven't seen a 100% PUFA free diet that looks tasty.

EvanHinkle

A few years ago Some forum members were talking about sCD14 as a potential test for endotoxin. Having worked on my endotoxin for a while I’d like to know where I’m at and what I might be shooting for. Did anything ever come of sCD14 as a reliable indicator of endotoxin load? Alternatively is there anything new in the endotoxin testing space?

ReSTART

Alternatively is there anything new in the endotoxin testing space?
no, everybody still uses the limulous amoebocyte lysate test (aqueous extract of blood cells (amoebocytes) from the horseshoe crab), which only gives a positive or negative result for endotoxin

EvanHinkle

no, everybody still uses the limulous amoebocyte lysate test (aqueous extract of blood cells (amoebocytes) from the horseshoe crab), which only gives a positive or negative result for endotoxin
Bummer, thanks for the reply though

LLight

David PS

Betaine too it seems (from some quick pubmed search).

Thanks, I will look into it. I seem to recall that the levels of endotoxins increase with age. So everything becomes important as we age.

aliml

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals