Is Vitamin D Supplementation Even Neccessary

schmolch

I feel nothing from d3 supplementation even at 100k a day and with k2. Sunlight/uvb is a instant massive improvement. Supps are bs, all of them. Moneygrab, nothing else.

Jonk

Honestly not much. I actually was thinking I was vitamin d deficient based off of my symptoms. Maybe keeping vitamin d levels at a good range long term will improve symptoms/increase calcium absorption? I grew up with slight scoliosis and teeth issues so I’m going to try to keep my vitamin d above 50ng/ml for a couple months. I’ll report back.

I’m just not sure why I couldn’t increase my D levels from sunbathing. I’m pretty tan, never burn and can sunbathe for hours but my level always stays low unless I supplement.

No other cofactors. I don’t trust vitamin a supplements and I’ve always had issues with k2. I’ve been taking a bit of thyroid lately but I don’t think that fixed my level because last time I supplemented tyromix my vitamin d eventually fell back down to 20ng/ml.
How much calcium are you getting?

Kocky777

Forum Supporter
I feel nothing from d3 supplementation even at 100k a day and with k2. Sunlight/uvb is a instant massive improvement. Supps are bs, all of them. Moneygrab, nothing else.
I disagree. I also took 100k Vitamin D along with big amounts of Vitamin K and Magnesium and my cold/infection that I once had was gone very fast with complete suppression of symptoms, almost like when you titrate Vitamin C/ascorbic acid to bowel tolerance. Both Vit C and D are LEGIT, maybe you have to take more and for a longer time.

For Vitamin D mega doses, check out Jeff T Bowles book and blog on Vit D.

And: Very important: It took me about ONE AND A HALF YEAR until I managed to get my Vit D blood level from 30ng/dl to 120ng/dl. And I took massive doses of Vitamin D, 100k a day for about two weeks, then 50k for many weeks months. Of course with lots of Vitamin K and Magnesium. Without those co-factors Vit D mega dosing can be dangerous. So maybe you have to be more patient.

All the best! :)

6. Screening for vitamin D deficiency leads to hundreds of millions of dollars wasted in unnecessary testing costs annually.

hink transdermal magnesium like @haidut new Magnoil is a better approach. I take progesterone and get cramps in my arms which magnesium alleviates. If you consume dairy you should get enough Vit. D.
This is true, vitamin D tests are inaccurate. When the body is low in D it releases it’s reserves and getting a vitamin D test at that point would say the D levels are high, which they aren’t.

7. Low-level daily supplementation with calcium and vitamin D can increase the risk of kidney stones. Magnesium deficiency plays a large and unrecognized role in these results.
This happened to me, and when I gave up the supplements and drank milk instead I never had another stone issue. I did not realize that vitamin D was a contributor though.

Jonk

This is true, vitamin D tests are inaccurate. When the body is low in D it releases it’s reserves and getting a vitamin D test at that point would say the D levels are high, which they aren’t.
Is there any further information about this?

Is there any further information about this?
I saw this thread and it makes me wonder more about vitamin D supplements. Here are some of the responses…

“From the paper: "Could it be that the people we call ―Vitamin D deficient‖ actually have a normal level of 25-D? Studies which have tested the level of 25-D in people who live in countries where vitamin D is not added to the food chain prove this scenario to be true. A study which tested the level of 25-D in 90 ―healthy, ambulatory Chilean women‖ showed that 27% of the premenopausal and 60% of the postmenopausal women had 25-D levels under 20 ng/ml.[55]"”
“When I took high doses of Vit D (by itself), I ended up in the hospital with hypercalcemia.
Hypercalcemia, in case you don't know, is a medical emergency and can result in kidney failure.
Vit D in the absence of the other Fat-soluble Vitamins is not a good idea IMO.

Basically, there is no food which naturally contains Vit D which does not also contain Vit A/E/K. I think the only exception is mushrooms which contain a weaker, different form of Vit D.“

“So d3 should be avoided with autoimmune or other virus/infection until you are cured of the virus infection, once cured then you can add d3 again?”

“it’s hard not to get angry when you go into a store and look at the huge dairy section without one single milk that doesn’t have vitamin A D or both added (i know there are some exceptions like some u.n. homogenized/whole milks). How are humans so dumb to think it’s a good idea to make it a law to fortify every single food, giving no options to the consumer. same goes for wheat products, as if they ignore thousands of years of human nutrition without supplementing white bread/skim milk. who’s to blame for this? the government?”

“I notice the anti-A crowd (at least here) is rather large, at least comparatively speaking to other trends. Vitamin D could very well become toxic in smaller amounts during the absence of vitamin A.”

“I did have an "experience" with Throne K2/D like 30 drops on my tummy. It made my ears pop, feel pressure all day and at night I could hear a ringing, like the kind followed after a loud concert. Stopped the supplement and after a couple of days everything went better. I just heard RP say he only supps daily in winter. So maybe the dose makes the poisson and daily supplementation is too much.”

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Vitamin D supplements literally turn a person into stone. Don't be a stoner.

Here is another concerning thread…

“vitamin D3 supplements eventually can and will destroy your kidneys if taken long enough or in a high enough dosage. Veterinarians know very well how cholecalciferol (D3) kills pets and other small animals because they see it quite often when the family pet accidentally ingests D-Con or similar poison meant for rats. Conversely to veterinary medicine the human medical community would like you to believe that D3 rat poison is completely safe to consume because the cholecalciferol (D3) in rat poisons are "much stronger" than the "small" amounts given to humans for "health," or that mice are different from humans and therefore the same effects cannot be applied to humans. Of course, this doesn't quite jive with the fact that mice and rats are the most commonly-used test subjects for human medical trials. Well, the fact is, the mechanism by which cholecalciferol works on rats is precisely the same in humans; this is not a case of "dags and chocolate". Cholecalciferol raises serum calcium, either acutely or chronically (depending on dose and size of mammal) and damages the kidneys. How quickly or slowly really doesn't make kidney damage more palatable. ANY kidney damage is too much. (And no, taking K2 will not stop this damage from occurring.)“

sunny

Dr Peat was clearly in favor of vitamin d.

View: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/53-vitamin-d-calcium-and-mineral-metabolism-with-dr/id1488713797?i=1000526335665

Preview

1x1-42817eea7ade52607a760cbee00d1495.gif

#53 - Vitamin D, Calcium and mineral metabolism with Dr Ray Peat and Kate DeeringWeight Loss For Women: eat more, train less, get results

• Nutrition
We’ve had Dr. Peat on the podcast before, and it actually ended up being our most downloaded WinAtLife podcast. So, we brought him back again to discuss vitamin D, calcium and mineral metabolism.
There’s so much good information in this one! Dr. Peat offers up a lot of clarity when it comes to the great vitamin D debate. So, should you supplement vitamin D? Should you not? What else should you know when it comes to vitamin D and your metabolic health?
As a reminder Vitamin D has many names
The three most mentioned in this podcast are
Cholecalciferol also known as D3 (what is in food or supplements)
"Stored D" also know as calcidiol / 25OHD /hydroxycholecalciferol
"Active D" also know as calcitriol / 1,25D
Dr. Peat uses the references of 25OHD /hydroxycholecalciferol (stored) and 1,25D (active)
In this episode we talk about...
➡️ The purpose of Vitamin D
➡️ How is vitamin D metabolised and stored
➡️ How much D is too much?
➡️ The difference between Active and Stored Vitamin D
➡️ Can "stored D" have active properties?
➡️ Is elevated Active D (1,25D) a good thing?
➡️ Do Vitamin D supplements suppress the immune system?
➡️ The Vitamin D "receptor" theory-is it correct?
➡️ Are blood levels of stored D (25OHD) correct?
➡️ What are optimal stored Vitamin D levels?
➡️ The relationship between D and Ca
➡️ Understanding the importance of parathyroid hormone (PTH)
➡️ What can affect PTH besides Calcium and Vitamin D
➡️ What causes calcified tissue
➡️ Understanding the calcium -magnesium connection
➡️ What ratios, if any, are optimal for minerals?
➡️ Understanding Hair Tissue Mineral Analysis? Are they accurate?
Check out the entire podcast episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcast, Stitcher, and iHeart Radio by searching for The Winatlife Podcast.
At the end of the podcast, Ray was asked about a study involving Vitamin D supplements and Bone density.

Here is the study and his answer:

Effect of High-Dose Vitamin D Supplementation on Volumetric Bone Density and Bone Strength

A Randomized Clinical Trial.

"They didn’t control their phosphate intake, so it’s possible that the high dose D was now and then increasing the 1,25-dihydroxy D, taking some calcium out of the bone. A problem with judging bone mineral content with x-rays is that, in stress, the fat in bone is reduced, and replaced by water, causing more of the x-rays to be absorbed, making the bone seem denser.

High-dose vitamin D without extra calcium supplementation has been associated with increased levels of the active vitamin D metabolite 1, 25(OH)2 vitamin D (calcitriol), and an increase in CTx."

Dr Peat was clearly in favor of vitamin d.

View: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/53-vitamin-d-calcium-and-mineral-metabolism-with-dr/id1488713797?i=1000526335665

Preview

1x1-42817eea7ade52607a760cbee00d1495.gif

#53 - Vitamin D, Calcium and mineral metabolism with Dr Ray Peat and Kate DeeringWeight Loss For Women: eat more, train less, get results

• Nutrition
We’ve had Dr. Peat on the podcast before, and it actually ended up being our most downloaded WinAtLife podcast. So, we brought him back again to discuss vitamin D, calcium and mineral metabolism.
There’s so much good information in this one! Dr. Peat offers up a lot of clarity when it comes to the great vitamin D debate. So, should you supplement vitamin D? Should you not? What else should you know when it comes to vitamin D and your metabolic health?
As a reminder Vitamin D has many names
The three most mentioned in this podcast are
Cholecalciferol also known as D3 (what is in food or supplements)
"Stored D" also know as calcidiol / 25OHD /hydroxycholecalciferol
"Active D" also know as calcitriol / 1,25D
Dr. Peat uses the references of 25OHD /hydroxycholecalciferol (stored) and 1,25D (active)
In this episode we talk about...
➡️ The purpose of Vitamin D
➡️ How is vitamin D metabolised and stored
➡️ How much D is too much?
➡️ The difference between Active and Stored Vitamin D
➡️ Can "stored D" have active properties?
➡️ Is elevated Active D (1,25D) a good thing?
➡️ Do Vitamin D supplements suppress the immune system?
➡️ The Vitamin D "receptor" theory-is it correct?
➡️ Are blood levels of stored D (25OHD) correct?
➡️ What are optimal stored Vitamin D levels?
➡️ The relationship between D and Ca
➡️ Understanding the importance of parathyroid hormone (PTH)
➡️ What can affect PTH besides Calcium and Vitamin D
➡️ What causes calcified tissue
➡️ Understanding the calcium -magnesium connection
➡️ What ratios, if any, are optimal for minerals?
➡️ Understanding Hair Tissue Mineral Analysis? Are they accurate?
Check out the entire podcast episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcast, Stitcher, and iHeart Radio by searching for The Winatlife Podcast.
At the end of the podcast, Ray was asked about a study involving Vitamin D supplements and Bone density.

Here is the study and his answer:

Effect of High-Dose Vitamin D Supplementation on Volumetric Bone Density and Bone Strength

A Randomized Clinical Trial.

"They didn’t control their phosphate intake, so it’s possible that the high dose D was now and then increasing the 1,25-dihydroxy D, taking some calcium out of the bone. A problem with judging bone mineral content with x-rays is that, in stress, the fat in bone is reduced, and replaced by water, causing more of the x-rays to be absorbed, making the bone seem denser.

High-dose vitamin D without extra calcium supplementation has been associated with increased levels of the active vitamin D metabolite 1, 25(OH)2 vitamin D (calcitriol), and an increase in CTx."

I have not ever supplemented vitamin D and do just fine.

Dave Clark

I understand that Peat did not use D orally, he may have been in favor of the secosteroid, biochemically speaking, and I don't personally recall him recommending to use oral D. Some people just assume that if a health expert or scientist talks about the benefits of D, they are referring to 'taking D orally', when they may just be talking about what that compound is good for, or does in the body.

GreekDemiGod

I understand that Peat did not use D orally, he may have been in favor of the secosteroid, biochemically speaking, and I don't personally recall him recommending to use oral D. Some people just assume that if a health expert or scientist talks about the benefits of D, they are referring to 'taking D orally', when they may just be talking about what that compound is good for, or does in the body.
Yes. Big difference between “fan of Vitamin D” and “fan of supplemental Vitamin D”.

sunny

He used it topically.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals