Muscle wasting, inflammation, and fibrosis. Please help

P

Peatness

I have been experiencing muscle wasting for some time and everything I try seems to hinder rather than help. My issue is IBS like symptoms, bloating, constipation and muscle atrophy. My tissues are so weak I sway when I walk, sometimes have to steady myself so as not to fall. I have spine injuries which means I cannot walk very far but this alone does not explain the muscle wastage. Blood sugars were checked 4 months ago and were ok. Cholesterol on the high end of normal. My waking temperature is around 36.2 – 36.4. Last TSH test was 1.5. My Vitamin D within normal range. My gut inflammation got worse after starting telmisartan but I need it for high blood pressure. Thyroid supplements (Tyromix, tryronene and tyromax) have not helped but simply increased inflammation and now my feet are numbing and painful. I suspect adrenaline. Salt does not help. Infact, salt seems to increase my inflammation at the same time it is rapidly lost in urine.

My diet is

Milk (problematic and will drop),

1 Coffee with milk and hydrolysed collagen/day

Fruits (melon grapes cherries)

Juice (apple, orange or coconut water)

Cooked veg, meat/fish/eggs

Rice (starch is also problematic)

Coconut oil

Ray Carrot/bamboo/Mushroom (a few times per week)

I salt to taste

Medication

Telmisartan

Thyroid supplements (Tyromix, tryronene and tyromax)

Supplements

B vitamins

Vitamins K/D/A/E

Pregnenolone (stressnon 3 drops per day)

Occasional progesterone

Occasional cyproheptadine 1mg

Magnesium

Taurine and glycine (occasional)

Bicarbonate as of when needed

I feel I need to wipe the slate clean and start again, how do I begin?

Perry Staltic

Skeletal muscle wasting is a rare side effect of telmisartan.

In rare cases, telmisartan can cause a condition that results in the breakdown of skeletal muscle tissue, leading to kidney failure. Call your doctor right away if you have unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness ...

Razvan

What's your blood pressure without
I have been experiencing muscle wasting for some time and everything I try seems to hinder rather than help. My issue is IBS like symptoms, bloating, constipation and muscle atrophy. My tissues are so weak I sway when I walk, sometimes have to steady myself so as not to fall. I have spine injuries which means I cannot walk very far but this alone does not explain the muscle wastage. Blood sugars were checked 4 months ago and were ok. Cholesterol on the high end of normal. My waking temperature is around 36.2 – 36.4. Last TSH test was 1.5. My Vitamin D within normal range. My gut inflammation got worse after starting telmisartan but I need it for high blood pressure. Thyroid supplements (Tyromix, tryronene and tyromax) have not helped but simply increased inflammation and now my feet are numbing and painful. I suspect adrenaline. Salt does not help. Infact, salt seems to increase my inflammation at the same time it is rapidly lost in urine.

My diet is

Milk (problematic and will drop),

1 Coffee with milk and hydrolysed collagen/day

Fruits (melon grapes cherries)

Juice (apple, orange or coconut water)

Cooked veg, meat/fish/eggs

Rice (starch is also problematic)

Coconut oil

Ray Carrot/bamboo/Mushroom (a few times per week)

I salt to taste

Medication

Telmisartan

Thyroid supplements (Tyromix, tryronene and tyromax)

Supplements

B vitamins

Vitamins K/D/A/E

Pregnenolone (stressnon 3 drops per day)

Occasional progesterone

Occasional cyproheptadine 1mg

Magnesium

Taurine and glycine (occasional)

Bicarbonate as of when needed

I feel I need to wipe the slate clean and start again, how do I begin?
What's your blood pressure without telmisartan? That medication is useless. Usually high blood pressure can be fixed by proper calcium to phosphate with K2 and things that help with NAD/NADH ratio like Niacinamide.

Elize

Have you looked at the possibility of histamine and or salicylate related issues.

OP
P

Peatness

Thank you for all your replies. I have mentioned the muscle wasting to Drs and they do blood test for kidney and liver which comes back normal. I have posted elsewhere my concerns with telmisartan. Basically, it only has marginally effect on my blood pressure but without it my blood pressure goes as high at 200/130. At the moment I am around 165/110. I have tried stopping it but my body has already adapted to its use.

I have tried all that has been suggested to fix blood pressure, including Niacinamide. It helps a little. My blood electrolyte tests always come back as normal. Clearly suppressed temperature is a sign of low thyroid but when I use thyroid I get inflammation and fatigue symptoms. Taurine would probably fix a lot of my problems but I get unbearable pain with Taurine, almost like I have an ulcer. Got inflammation is my main concern which is why I am going to stop milk and switch to calcium supplements. Before Peating I had perfect blood pressure. I did not drink milk then. I will try a milk free Peat diet to see if that helps.

Histamine issues has been mostly resolved but i am not sure about salicylate. Cherries are high in salicylate. I do eat a lot of cherries. In fact most fruit irritates my stomach. So what do I eat it if I remove all those things? Should I do a short fast?

Elize

Have you tried short term ox bile to help your liver and clear toxins. I did 2 Caps per day one week of ox bile then opened up the capsule and take a quarter per day at lunch so that it doesn't impact on my thyroid meds. It also helps with. T4 to T3 conversion. I find T3 meds and NDT triggers histamine liberating reactions with me.

I use the ox bile from Piping Rock

1614780028807.png

Perry Staltic

Thank you for all your replies. I have mentioned the muscle wasting to Drs and they do blood test for kidney and liver which comes back normal. I have posted elsewhere my concerns with telmisartan. Basically, it only has marginally effect on my blood pressure but without it my blood pressure goes as high at 200/130. At the moment I am around 165/110. I have tried stopping it but my body has already adapted to its use.

OK you don't show signs of kidney damage, but you do have muscle wasting, a side effect (albeit rare) of telmisartan. It seems pointless to me to try to find other ways to fix your problem when you have a known cause for it staring you in the face. In terms of prescription meds there are lots of options available for treating hypertension (ACE inhibitors, ARBs, calcium channel blockers); have you tried others? What is their justification for keeping you on that med?

Last edited:
OP
P

Peatness

Have you tried short term ox bile to help your liver and clear toxins. I did 2 Caps per day one week of ox bile then opened up the capsule and take a quarter per day at lunch so that it doesn't impact on my thyroid meds. It also helps with. T4 to T3 conversion. I find T3 meds and NDT triggers histamine liberating reactions with me.

I use the ox bile from Piping Rock

View attachment 21950
I have used ox bile in the past.

OP
P

Peatness

OK you don't show signs of kidney damage, but you do have muscle wasting, a side effect (albeit rare) of telmisartan. It seems pointless to me to try to find other ways to fix your problem when you have a known cause for it staring you in the face. In terms of prescription meds there are lots of options available for treating hypertension (ACE inhibitors, ARBs, calcium channel blockers); have you tried others? What is their justification for keeping you on that med?
It is possible that these symptoms are related to telmisartan. The issue is that I have reacted badly to calcium channel blocks.

OP
P

Peatness

I used losartan before telmisartan. They are both peat approved. I have been offered beta blockers or alpha blockers. They both come with problems. Beta blockers suppress thyroid and alpha blockers cause bladder weakness in women. My options are limited. Both I am getting desperate. I don't know what is safe to try

Perry Staltic

I used losartan before telmisartan. They are both peat approved. I have been offered beta blockers or alpha blockers. They both come with problems. Beta blockers suppress thyroid and alpha blockers cause bladder weakness in women. My options are limited. Both I am getting desperate. I don't know what is safe to try

What does Peat know about ARBs, he's not an MD. There are other ARBs besides losartan and telmisartan, as well as ACE inhibitors and diuretics. If you are going to go the pharma route, which you're currently on, then you need to work with your doctor to find one that's safe for you. Just based on what you've said, I have my doubts that telmisartan is. Maybe there's an interaction between it and something else you're doing.

mostlylurking

Muscle weakness and IBS are symptoms of thiamine deficiency. So is nerve inflammation. Many pharmaceutical drugs block thiamine function. Your diet promotes thiamine deficiency (sugar, white rice).

OP
P

Peatness

What does Peat know about ARBs, he's not an MD. There are other ARBs besides losartan and telmisartan, as well as ACE inhibitors and diuretics. If you are going to go the pharma route, which you're currently on, then you need to work with your doctor to find one that's safe for you. Just based on what you've said, I have my doubts that telmisartan is. Maybe there's an interaction between it and something else you're doing.
I trust Dr Peat.

Interaction with other supplements is plausible. Telmisartan is used to reduce androgens in women with Polycystic Ovary syndrome. I don't have PCOS but I was wondering if it is lowering my androgens or perhaps interacting with pregnenolone. My serum sodium tends to be on the low end of normal. Telmisartan lowers sodium, yet when I added salt beyond a half a teaspoon a day, I feel very unwell.

OP
P

Peatness

Muscle weakness and IBS are symptoms of thiamine deficiency. So is nerve inflammation. Many pharmaceutical drugs block thiamine function. Your diet promotes thiamine deficiency (sugar, white rice).
Thank you. I have considered this too and supplement with thiamine, have done for many years. I noticed recently that thiamine raises my blood pressure.

OP
P

Peatness

Thiamine lowers cortisol
Please tell me more. Does lowering cortisol increase blood pressure, perhaps increasing adrenaline. I have cold feet, actually they are pretty numb.

mostlylurking

Thank you. I have considered this too and supplement with thiamine, have done for many years. I noticed recently that thiamine raises my blood pressure.
I've supplemented with thiamine hcl for many years too. I took 100mg/day for a long time. Then I got slammed by taking Bactrim antibiotic last summer. I read an article that said that Bactrim blocks thiamine function. I read everything I could find about thiamine and realized that I had a severe thiamine deficiency/blockage problem. I've worked up now to 2 grams a day of thiamine hcl; this has resolved my symptoms. My health situation had changed due to pharmaceutical drugs and mega dosing was needed to correct the problem.

articles: Diet Induced Pseudo-Hypoxia and Hypertension- Hormones Matter

and a video:

I don’t think thiamine raises blood pressure. It could be that the kind of thiamine you are taking is not good for you. Or another supplement is causing the problem.

OP
P

Peatness

I've supplemented with thiamine hcl for many years too. I took 100mg/day for a long time. Then I got slammed by taking Bactrim antibiotic last summer. I read an article that said that Bactrim blocks thiamine function. I read everything I could find about thiamine and realized that I had a severe thiamine deficiency/blockage problem. I've worked up now to 2 grams a day of thiamine hcl; this has resolved my symptoms. My health situation had changed due to pharmaceutical drugs and mega dosing was needed to correct the problem.

articles: Diet Induced Pseudo-Hypoxia and Hypertension- Hormones Matter

and a video:

I was prescribed the antibiotic Nitrofurantoin for an infection last year. Things took a turn for the worst after that. I cant imagine being able to tolerate higher doses of thiamine but will try. I have worried about my thiamine status for many years. My diet is carb rich including white sugar. I am dropping the milk, sugar and coffee for now. I think ARBs lower thiamine, I read that somewhere but cant find the source. Thanks

mostlylurking

Please tell me more. Does lowering cortisol increase blood pressure, perhaps increasing adrenaline. I have cold feet, actually they are pretty numb.
"I have cold feet, actually they are pretty numb."

The peripheral nerves that reach your arms and legs rely heavily on the action of thiamine. In cases of deficiency, peripheral nerve damage and paresthesia can occur.

In fact, patients have experienced paresthesia in the beginning phases of thiamine deficiency (14Trusted Source, 15Trusted Source, 16Trusted Source).

Also, studies in rats have shown that thiamine deficiency has led to peripheral nerve damage (17Trusted Source, 18Trusted Source).

from here: 11 Signs and Symptoms of Thiamine (Vitamin B1) Deficiency

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals