Prosecuting Trump - Unanswered Questions

managing

You should be banned for your constant slander of the President. @charlie
Hilarious. And your type constantly complains about cancel culture and social media "censoring" things. Yes, @charlie, if free speech is no longer tolerated here, please do ban me.

Last edited:

managing

pardoning trump would be an insanely strong move for Biden, and one he will probably not take.
Always have appreciated your ability to engage with ideas that you disagree with. May you be a shining example for others.

I am curious why you think Biden wouldn't do it? IMHO, he is a logical political animal. I think he and the rest of the Democratic leadership must recognize that prosecuting Trump would be a minefield. Right now the key to politics in America is that tiny little sliver of "social conservatives". They have usually voted Republican, but they want a functioning government and civility. AKA, the "never Trumpers". Right now the Democrats are knocking it out of the park with them.

But minority voters, especially latinos, are becoming more and more relevant. Both sides have historically failed them. But the Democrats are suffering more for it than the Republicans, because they have been telling minorities for decades that they are helping them, without actually doing a whole lot to actually help them. And, latinos in particular, find Trump's faux machismo appealing.

So, with that minefield, I think the only logical thing for Biden to do is to pardon Trump. At the very least, I think he'll publicly declare that he will not prosecute Trump and before the mid-term elections (maybe even before the GA runoff). A pardon is the wrong thing, because, from a legal standpoint, you can't pardon somebody who has not been charged with a crime. And charging and then pardoning him would be the wrong move. But the public is infatuated with the idea of a "pardon". Ironically, if Biden chooses that route, it will be entirely non-binding on any future decision to prosecute.

Tarmander

There is nothing to pardon him for. Trump committed no crimes.
lol I wish that mattered

Always have appreciated your ability to engage with ideas that you disagree with. May you be a shining example for others.

I am curious why you think Biden wouldn't do it? IMHO, he is a logical political animal. I think he and the rest of the Democratic leadership must recognize that prosecuting Trump would be a minefield. Right now the key to politics in America is that tiny little sliver of "social conservatives". They have usually voted Republican, but they want a functioning government and civility. AKA, the "never Trumpers". Right now the Democrats are knocking it out of the park with them.

But minority voters, especially latinos, are becoming more and more relevant. Both sides have historically failed them. But the Democrats are suffering more for it than the Republicans, because they have been telling minorities for decades that they are helping them, without actually doing a whole lot to actually help them. And, latinos in particular, find Trump's faux machismo appealing.

So, with that minefield, I think the only logical thing for Biden to do is to pardon Trump. At the very least, I think he'll publicly declare that he will not prosecute Trump and before the mid-term elections (maybe even before the GA runoff). A pardon is the wrong thing, because, from a legal standpoint, you can't pardon somebody who has not been charged with a crime. And charging and then pardoning him would be the wrong move. But the public is infatuated with the idea of a "pardon". Ironically, if Biden chooses that route, it will be entirely non-binding on any future decision to prosecute.
I think trump is too dangerous. If they pardon him, and make it easy for him to start a media empire for himself, they will be dealing with an even bigger problem. What do they do when 6 months from now 80% of the country believes the election was stolen (whether there is proof or not), and Harris' approval numbers are in the teens? Wreckem Ralph will not be appreciated. That is, leaving aside the whole "lets pardon him then kill him," option.

managing

lol I wish that mattered

I think trump is too dangerous. If they pardon him, and make it easy for him to start a media empire for himself, they will be dealing with an even bigger problem. What do they do when 6 months from now 80% of the country believes the election was stolen (whether there is proof or not), and Harris' approval numbers are in the teens? Wreckem Ralph will not be appreciated. That is, leaving aside the whole "lets pardon him then kill him," option.
That is interesting. There is definitely a lot of noise about that happening. How long do you think the hero-worship can continue? Do you think there Trump will eventually be replaced as an icon, or is he one-of-a-kind?

Tarmander

That is interesting. There is definitely a lot of noise about that happening. How long do you think the hero-worship can continue? Do you think there Trump will eventually be replaced as an icon, or is he one-of-a-kind?
Trump is the most popular republican in decades, and I don't think his popularity is a fleeting thing. I don't know if anyone can replace him. He's not going away though, and the narrative that we are getting back to normal after this election is I think a bit too hopeful.

I am not pessimistic about the future though. Any kind of hardship that comes to the US will usher in much needed wake ups to environmental degradation and hopefully pave the way for clean fission/fusion.

You hopeful about the future?

managing

Trump is the most popular republican in decades, and I don't think his popularity is a fleeting thing. I don't know if anyone can replace him. He's not going away though, and the narrative that we are getting back to normal after this election is I think a bit too hopeful.

I am not pessimistic about the future though. Any kind of hardship that comes to the US will usher in much needed wake ups to environmental degradation and hopefully pave the way for clean fission/fusion.

You hopeful about the future?

Great question. Hyperpartisanship worries me. Especially as the most important issues to me don't break along party lines. Those being the growing divide between wealthy and not, and increasing geopolitical tensions.

Both "sides" address these issues differently in theory. In reality they are 2 sides of the same coin, and equally ineffective.

As for Trump, I don't think he is going away anytime soon, and I don't think he is likely to be replaced. He is the definition of "cult of personality". But I find it unfortunate, because he is a major distraction and, in my opinion, contributes nothing to the resolution of the issues I identified above.

JDreamer

Great question. Hyperpartisanship worries me. Especially as the most important issues to me don't break along party lines. Those being the growing divide between wealthy and not, and increasing geopolitical tensions.

Both "sides" address these issues differently in theory. In reality they are 2 sides of the same coin, and equally ineffective.

As for Trump, I don't think he is going away anytime soon, and I don't think he is likely to be replaced. He is the definition of "cult of personality". But I find it unfortunate, because he is a major distraction and, in my opinion, contributes nothing to the resolution of the issues I identified above.

The hyperpartisanship is a serious problem because it's creating echo chambers on both sides, a threat to create two shadow economies due to cancel culture, and most importantly is antagonized by the media because it sells! It creates the most clicks, viewership, and participation. That's all they care about i.e. to drive advertising revs, but in the process puts us all at risk.

That's why there's no more journalism. Social media killed it. Now information gets out before facts and they let hyperpartisan COUGH radicalized people run with it to the point where they're so over-emotionally invested that there's no going back. Retractions mean absolutely sh*t.

Last edited:

DrJ

Only an idiot would go after a man who just got the most (legitimate) number of votes in history - most of which are avid gun owners. Not that the democratic party isn't stacked with idiots. I mean they chose a guy who was barely placing in the primaries and then just about the only black person that black people don't like.

OP
N

nomoreketones

Only an idiot would go after a man who just got the most (legitimate) number of votes in history - most of which are avid gun owners.

The media is more powerful than guns as we have just witnessed over the last month.

managing

Only an idiot would go after a man who just got the most (legitimate) number of votes in history - most of which are avid gun owners. Not that the democratic party isn't stacked with idiots. I mean they chose a guy who was barely placing in the primaries and then just about the only black person that black people don't like.
Got it. If you don't get your way, you'll result to violence. You must have a very big . . . gun?

yerrag

Hyperpartisanship worries me.
Gaslighting worries me more.

Making people confused and paralyzed and allowing same old same old to dictate the way the country is run. As it just keeps heading toward the edge of a cliff if not being led there by pied pipers who sing the same tune you do. Bleating empty words of false moderation and pretenses of being reasonable. So much circumlocution just reminds me of how of how wordsmiths and self-serving orators led to the fall of ancient Greece. Stasis, inaction, and death by a thousand words.

kyle

Your thread is begging the question of whether any of this comes about.

It is the very same breeding ground the hivemind dwells inside of.

Rhetoric and conjecture with no relationship to reality.

DrJ

Got it. If you don't get your way, you'll result to violence. You must have a very big . . . gun?

Not sure why you're putting this on me. I live in europe now where these problems don't exist since paper ballots and strict ID checking to vote are required. I'm just pointing out the obvious end game of the unending retardation of the democratic party.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals