Low Toxin Diet Resistant Starch

Peater

What are the thoughts on resistant starch on the low toxin approach?

It's something I hadn't considered for years, but now I have been making chicken and rice soup to freeze. I assume even when part of a recipe rather than isolated, resistant starch is still formed.

I've been feeling anxious with 'stuffy' ears and increased tinnitus (Have had tinnitus as long as I can remember, since I was a small boy).

Just wanted to ask, I'm not sure if it is that. I will take some activated charcoal and camphosal before bed and see if it helps.

Jabuger

people in the low toxin space seem to forget about a very big toxin.

Endotoxin (LPS)

BubblesMcGee

Forum Supporter
I’ve been told that fully reheating the rice even if it’s been cooled should prevent endotoxin issues. If you’re freezing relatively soon after cooking probably not the issue.

Edit now that I’m looking for studies I don’t see any that indicated that RS goes away in reheated starches. Seems microwave cooking actually increases it

Jabuger

I’ve been told that fully reheating the rice even if it’s been cooled should prevent endotoxin issues. If you’re freezing relatively soon after cooking probably not the issue.

Edit now that I’m looking for studies I don’t see any that indicated that RS goes away in reheated starches. Seems microwave cooking actually increases it
Bro what are you taking about. We’re talking about endotoxin not the bacteria on the rice. The rice itself could be a problem because of its starch content

Validus

@Peater Totally unrelated to your question about resistant starch which I believe is important to our diet and I get from oats, potatoes and rice that have been cooked and cooled.

Since "COVID", I've also had the same feelings in my ears that you're talking about: clogged and ringing.

I've made a lot of changes lately, but I noticed my ears feeling better the most and that I attribute primarily to niacin, jumping on a small trampoline for a few minutes every morning and also, using a neck traction device to pull on my neck, while hanging from my squat rack.

OP
P

Peater

@Peater Totally unrelated to your question about resistant starch which I believe is important to our diet and I get from oats, potatoes and rice that have been cooked and cooled.

Since "COVID", I've also had the same feelings in my ears that you're talking about: clogged and ringing.

I've made a lot of changes lately, but I noticed my ears feeling better the most and that I attribute primarily to niacin, jumping on a small trampoline for a few minutes every morning and also, using a neck traction device to pull on my neck, while hanging from my squat rack.

Thanks for that- it's interesting you mentioned COVID as I had a bad cold around Christmas time that would have had people claiming it was "COVID" and the tinnitus was noticeably worse then. Very intrusive, even compared to something i have lived with forever.

This was before starting low VA too.

I've been taking small amounts of niacin but not mega dosing, although it dropped off my daily list for some reason. Will resume!

BubblesMcGee

Forum Supporter
Bro what are you taking about. We’re talking about endotoxin not the bacteria on the rice. The rice itself could be a problem because of its starch content
Resistant starch is not broken down and therefore bacteria in the gut consume the resistant starch releasing endotoxin. Thats where the endotoxin comes from…

Also not a bro

DanDare

Forum Supporter
I think the fridge is a big source of illness. Rice is particularly bad. There are plenty of toxins formed in cooked or uncooked food that are heat resistant, i.cooking or reheating spoiled food is insufficient. Freezer is less of a problem.

pepsi

Im glad you brought this up. I started the vitamin a detox a few months ago and
have been having symptoms I thought were due to detoxing, foggy brain, headache, lethargy,bloat...
It got so bad, I thought I should back off all of the recommended supplements, I still
had the symptoms, so I stopped the sourdough bread and apples. I went to the most basic
diet of rice and beef, still was having the symptoms.

Well when the original vitamin a
thread came out a few years back, I was curious and followed a diet of just rice and beef for a few months,
with no negative side effects. What's the difference between now and then? I was waking up early back then and
and cooking my rice and beef daily every morning without any need to refrigerate.
Now, I am cooking a large amount of rice and beef and storing it in the fridge to provide a few days 2-3
worth of convenient meals.
After I saw your thread last night, it all clicked, I have never even thought RS could be a problem. So
today I cooked my rice this morning and will continue so for the rest of the week. I actually
already feel much better today than last night and hope it all goes away in the next few days.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Im glad you brought this up. I started the vitamin a detox a few months ago and
have been having symptoms I thought were due to detoxing, foggy brain, headache, lethargy,bloat...
It got so bad, I thought I should back off all of the recommended supplements, I still
had the symptoms, so I stopped the sourdough bread and apples. I went to the most basic
diet of rice and beef, still was having the symptoms.

Well when the original vitamin a
thread came out a few years back, I was curious and followed a diet of just rice and beef for a few months,
with no negative side effects. What's the difference between now and then? I was waking up early back then and
and cooking my rice and beef daily every morning without any need to refrigerate.
Now, I am cooking a large amount of rice and beef and storing it in the fridge to provide a few days 2-3
worth of convenient meals.
After I saw your thread last night, it all clicked, I have never even thought RS could be a problem. So
today I cooked my rice this morning and will continue so for the rest of the week. I actually
already feel much better today than last night and hope it all goes away in the next few days.
I make brown rice the way the Japanese do. Start with a fresh batch in the morning and leave it in the rice cooker and if anything is left over at the end of the day, throw it out and start with a new batch the next day.

cfeehan

Forum Supporter
I soak my rice, then cook it from fresh, just enough for a meal. But I've been soaking and cooking a whole bunch of beans all at once, then chilling the extra in the fridge and reheating for several days. I've been wondering about the resistant starch question recently as well.

I know if you follow much on Ayurvedic principles, they are very much against leftovers. But I always thought that was because it was an older tradition without a lot of access to refrigeration. But now I'm wondering if they didn't have some insight on the resistant starch question.

Following this thread to listen...

Kyle970

@Peater , could you just separate the rice and make it fresh when needed?

Have that same tinnitus/feeling. Have you considered if possibly histamine related?

OP
P

Peater

@Peater , could you just separate the rice and make it fresh when needed?

Have that same tinnitus/feeling. Have you considered if possibly histamine related?

I might do that if I am having it as a lunch or evening meal but my idea was a light breakfast that was quick and easy. Maybe I'll just make it a chicken stock soup and leave the rice out. A shame but there we go!

I still feel a bit rough but I think it's a cold, I woke up with a sore throat and just feeling a bit off. Interestingly I see @cfeehan is also experiencing similar.

Annoying as I had my first walk in sunshine this year on Saturday and felt pretty good apart from some anxiety and the ear pressure thing.

All very confusing and a bit frustrating.

OP
P

Peater

Still feeling weird. The throat pain has stopped, and the headache. My nose is slightly runny and I just feel spacey, anxious/edgy, maybe what people describe as brain fog.

I haven't had beans for a couple of days but I have had long-cooked oats and the rice part of my chicken soup. (I am not prepared to waste food)

Annoyingly some activated charcoal and camphosal for the past 2 nights hasn't made any difference. I was hoping to confirm if it was endotoxin or just "a cold". (Whatever "a cold" is - the accepted viral theory, or detox etc)

How do you do low A without consuming potentially endotoxin-promoting foods?

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
Still feeling weird. The throat pain has stopped, and the headache. My nose is slightly runny and I just feel spacey, anxious/edgy, maybe what people describe as brain fog.

I haven't had beans for a couple of days but I have had long-cooked oats and the rice part of my chicken soup. (I am not prepared to waste food)

Annoyingly some activated charcoal and camphosal for the past 2 nights hasn't made any difference. I was hoping to confirm if it was endotoxin or just "a cold". (Whatever "a cold" is - the accepted viral theory, or detox etc)

How do you do low A without consuming potentially endotoxin-promoting foods?
I actually want some resistant starch in my diet to promote good gut bacteria. I am fortunate not to be suffering like you are. My main goal is to not get constipated. I
hope you get to feeling better.

OP
P

Peater

I actually want some resistant starch in my diet to promote good gut bacteria. I am fortunate not to be suffering like you are. My main goal is to not get constipated. I
hope you get to feeling better.

Thank you for the kind words! I'm hoping it's all just been "a cold" that took a while to 'break' and once it's gone I can just eat the usual low Vit A foods as I am really enjoying the simplicity and change of tastes.

I don't have an appendix (Removed in 2001) so I don't know if that is a problem.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
Thank you for the kind words! I'm hoping it's all just been "a cold" that took a while to 'break' and once it's gone I can just eat the usual low Vit A foods as I am really enjoying the simplicity and change of tastes.

I don't have an appendix (Removed in 2001) so I don't know if that is a problem.
There is another person on the forum without an appendix who has trouble digesting food, too. My husband has his but he has had a couple of episodes of colitis over the years and takes a probiotic now. He likes Florastor, which is a yeast that helps keep bad bacteria down while promoting good bacteria. At least that is what they say. I also gave it to our dog when she had to take an antibiotic and it helped her, too.

OP
P

Peater

There is another person on the forum without an appendix who has trouble digesting food, too. My husband has his but he has had a couple of episodes of colitis over the years and takes a probiotic now. He likes Florastor, which is a yeast that helps keep bad bacteria down while promoting good bacteria. At least that is what they say. I also gave it to our dog when she had to take an antibiotic and it helped her, too.

Thanks for that - I've had no particular digestive issues while paleo, or Peating - and I'm still unsure as to if this "cold" is endotoxin-based, or if the "cold" is causing some symptoms associated with endotoxin, if that makes sense! I've had no 'digestive upset' as such like you might get with straight allergies, or food poisoning.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals