Sharing my natural-as-can-be laundry detergent formula and recipe

OP
Sascha6990

Sascha6990

Assume you could also add a little Methylene Blue for brightness. But be careful not to use too much or you'l spend all day removing it from everywhere
Ah... thanks but I wouldn't mess with that in the wash haha. It is very annoying to get out of fabric, it has to be chemically reduced to be rendered colorless. For anyone interested, vitamin C will reduce it but you have to use some other acid as a catalyst for the reaction. I crushed a vitamin C pill, added some vinegar to it then rubbed into the stain. It took 2 tries but I got rid of it.

OP
Sascha6990

Sascha6990

Have you considered adding a little bit of borax? I wouldn’t use it in excess, but it might be useful especially in loads of whites.

In humans the results of oral consumption are mixed and a little controversial in the literature I’ve read. Before the early 1900 various forms of boron were added to food in great excess as a preservative. I believe that it displaces fluoride, boosts testosterone and also estrogen to an extant. I am not sure if the latter effect is a direct estrogen boosting or simply a side effect of boosting testosterone (additional substrate for conversion via armotase). I am also not sure how much of the common salt forms in borax pass through the skin.

But from a practical matter a little borax is good at cleaning fabrics and removing smells. I think large amounts of borax were widely used a mild bleaching agent before the widespread availability of chlorine based bleach. I avoid using chlorine based bleach so I sometimes toss a little borax in the washer when my lighter clothes need a deep cleaning.
That's interesting, thank you! I'm planning to try some sodium percarbonate for brightening as I have used it in the past with great results.

OP
Sascha6990

Sascha6990

I found it to be effective, yes. I wonder if the water makes a difference or even the type of washing machine? I have well water with a water filtration system and a top loading machine.

I think Tahitian gardenia eo smells pretty divine. Haha! It smells even better on skin, IMO. I use Monoï oil (Tahitian gardenias macerated in virgin coconut oil) on my body and it develops this soft, exotic vanilla-like scent. I get the Tahitian gardenia eo here:

You're right, it could be the water 🤔 Mine may be too hard but I don't know exactly.

Ah, I bought the same thing under the name "Tiaré flowers", I didn't know it was also called Tahitian Gardenia 😄 I loved the smell so much I even searched for seeds on Etsy to grow my own haha

Jennifer

You're right, it could be the water 🤔 Mine may be too hard but I don't know exactly.

Ah, I bought the same thing under the name "Tiaré flowers", I didn't know it was also called Tahitian Gardenia 😄 I loved the smell so much I even searched for seeds on Etsy to grow my own haha

Oh, wonderful! I plan on growing gardenias, too. Did you end up finding seeds? If not, you might like Night Scented Stock. I had perennial gardens at my previous residence and grew a lot of old-fashioned flowers and one of my favorites was Night Scented Stock. I had it planted a few yards from my bedroom and every evening during the summer, its blooms would open and its fragrance would catch on a warm breeze and make its way to my room, filling the space with a soft and almost spicy, vanilla rose-like scent. I think of it as a perfect embodiment of twilight. :)

akgrrrl

Oh, wonderful! I plan on growing gardenias, too. Did you end up finding seeds? If not, you might like Night Scented Stock. I had perennial gardens at my previous residence and grew a lot of old-fashioned flowers and one of my favorites was Night Scented Stock. I had it planted a few yards from my bedroom and every evening during the summer, its blooms would open and its fragrance would catch on a warm breeze and make its way to my room, filling the space with a soft and almost spicy, vanilla rose-like scent. I think of it as a perfect embodiment of twilight. :)
I grow "stocks" (as the starts are called in my local nursery) every year!! I never let a spent flower go to waste, pluck the deadheads and dry them along with rose and geranium and hang in a mesh bag on the backside of a bedpost. When I shop for these each spring, nobody else seems to know what they are, and I scoop up the lot. I never see one go to seed tho, so assume they bred that out of the commercial starts. So glad to see you mention them!

Jennifer

I grow "stocks" (as the starts are called in my local nursery) every year!! I never let a spent flower go to waste, pluck the deadheads and dry them along with rose and geranium and hang in a mesh bag on the backside of a bedpost. When I shop for these each spring, nobody else seems to know what they are, and I scoop up the lot. I never see one go to seed tho, so assume they bred that out of the commercial starts. So glad to see you mention them!

Aww…see, I knew you were my sister from another mister! I love your idea of hanging the deadheads on the backside of a bedpost. I bet you have beautiful antique beds too? I still want your red stove. Haha! I bought my dad a candy apple red retro toaster for Christmas. 👍🏼

akgrrrl

Aww…see, I knew you were my sister from another mister! I love your idea of hanging the deadheads on the backside of a bedpost. I bet you have beautiful antique beds too? I still want your red stove. Haha! I bought my dad a candy apple red retro toaster for Christmas. 👍🏼
Candy apple red is awesome be it toaster, cars or shoes! I have a fab 1960s pale pink stove for sale, electric tho not gas/propane. Its all Sputnik with pushbutton panel, porthole view window, and extra pie oven with a rotisserie setup! Stoves are an addiction for me, yeah I know, most women go for shoes...
So yeah my bed is 1930s pineapple Design lathe-turned posts with matching dresser octagonal mirror and Lane cedar chest about the first year they made 'em. These3 pieces were my very first furniture, and I have managed to hang on to them for 40 years, 3 different states and moved them 6x just while here in Alaska. I love vintage anything with workmanship, history, materials integrity and soul. Oh yes, and books. How pleased I am to chat with someone who appreciates the same!

Attachments

• 20191109_115340.jpg
    20191109_115340.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210706_204432.jpg
    20210706_204432.jpg
    442.7 KB · Views: 21

Jennifer

Ooh…pretty pieces of furniture, @akgrrrl. I can understand your stove addiction. Shoes aren’t my thing either, well, except for one pair—my ruby slippers. They have a built in navigational system so I can always find my way home. Three heel clicks and the system is activated. 😁 My addictions are carved wood and glass/crystal. My mum and I used to go antique shopping and below are two of the first pieces I bought. It might be hard to tell by the photo, but there’s a section at the top of the mirror where it’s cracked from the backside and some of the silver coating has worn away so when the light hits it, it almost looks like mercury glass. I actually bought it because of this imperfection. I think it gives it a romantic look:

20230323_103943.jpg

20230323_103242.jpg

akgrrrl

Ooh…pretty pieces of furniture, @akgrrrl. I can understand your stove addiction. Shoes aren’t my thing either, well, except for one pair—my ruby slippers. They have a built in navigational system so I can always find my way home. Three heel clicks and the system is activated. 😁 My addictions are carved wood and glass/crystal. My mum and I used to go antique shopping and below are two of the first pieces I bought. It might be hard to tell by the photo, but there’s a section at the top of the mirror where it’s cracked from the backside and some of the silver coating has worn away so when the light hits it, it almost looks like mercury glass. I actually bought it because of this imperfection. I think it gives it a romantic look:

View attachment 48766
View attachment 48773
Beautiful, mastercraft pieces. What fine addictions we have! I DO see how that mirror's silvering imperfection provides character. It clearly deserves being hung over that fab white mantel, a perfect spot to cast it's reflection to all the humans who enter it's sphere. In the spirit of this thread, it just seems the older techniques of keeping a home (laundry), furnishings, accessories, kitchenware &clothing, serve us so much better than the synthetic, plastic (read estrogenic) world presented today. Below, a pic of the childrens area in the clinic where I go, recently remodeled. It used to have building blocks, Lincoln Logs, coloring books, crayons, trucks, cars, toy heavy equipment graders and dumptrucks full of leggos, wooden puzzles...🥺

Attachments

• 20221027_112953.jpg
    20221027_112953.jpg
    518.6 KB · Views: 16

Jennifer

Beautiful, mastercraft pieces. What fine addictions we have! I DO see how that mirror's silvering imperfection provides character. It clearly deserves being hung over that fab white mantel, a perfect spot to cast its reflection to all the humans who enter its sphere. In the spirit of this thread, it just seems the older techniques of keeping a home (laundry), furnishings, accessories, kitchenware &clothing, serve us so much better than the synthetic, plastic (read estrogenic) world presented today. Below, a pic of the childrens area in the clinic where I go, recently remodeled. It used to have building blocks, Lincoln Logs, coloring books, crayons, trucks, cars, toy heavy equipment graders and dumptrucks full of leggos, wooden puzzles...🥺

Wow, how depressing and uninspiring. It’s the virtual reality, sanitized world. I’m genuinely surprised that the tablets aren’t 6 feet apart. So sad.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals