Side Effects Of Too Much Serotonin

ginny-red

No ashwagandha, that is serotonergic and try no chronic caffeine for at least 2 weeks, lowers anxiety and re-balances neurotransmitters. Reduce caffeine intake slowly via chocolate milk.
Take Gotu Kola /centella asiatica, that will relax you, it works on GABA. And also valerian, for sleep. Or see an Ayurvedic.
Do not trust your vitamins, just drink fruit juice and milk.
Only take omega 3 if you experience brain zaps, symptom after to much serotonin, then also take Albion TRAACS magnesium regularly.
Clean your gut and excess estrogen by a daily raw carrot salad meal.
Take probiotics to fix your gutbacteria. And take low dosage of Castor oil, to improve enzymic activity to make vital transition metals. Antibiotics can kill your bacteria and ability to make certain transition metals your body needs to repair itself. High dose is a laxative.
and of course eat like Peat.

edit: Don't eat wheat, if you eat wheat, take it with glucosamine to protect gut. Wheat damage gut 3x as much as other grains. No whole grains. Try white rice, and masa harina that is corn nixtamilized.
Thanks for advice!
Regarding caffeine, @Constatine advised me to take it for some time to reduce inflammation in my gut and I'm taking 200mg in the morning, but I'm wondering what about addiction to caffeine after this kind of supplementation?
I'm looking for probiotics only with Bifidobacterium, @Constatine could you please advise that Bifidobacterium breve will be ok? I found it in my drugstore.
I also drink bio apple vinegar (1 tbs) before meals and my only dairy is goat milk now (because of a lot of probiotics). I gave up on wheat and I'm trying to eat a lot of raw fruits and vegetables.
And what about castor oil, can I combine it with apple vinegar? You're saying that antibiotics can be laxative, should I take some for my complaints or you're just saying they're not gut for my intestine? I was wondering that maybe I have some bacteria/fungus in my intestine, I must check it.
Also, can be headaches a sign of cleaning my intestine? They're really strong. How much time should it take to reduce inflammation and bacterial flora? Headaches, anxiety, feel of guilt, bloating, everything really disturbs my normal life... Awful. :(

Thanks for advice!
Regarding caffeine, @Constatine advised me to take it for some time to reduce inflammation in my gut and I'm taking 200mg in the morning, but I'm wondering what about addiction to caffeine after this kind of supplementation?
I'm looking for probiotics only with Bifidobacterium, @Constatine could you please advise that Bifidobacterium breve will be ok? I found it in my drugstore.
I also drink bio apple vinegar (1 tbs) before meals and my only dairy is goat milk now (because of a lot of probiotics). I gave up on wheat and I'm trying to eat a lot of raw fruits and vegetables.
And what about castor oil, can I combine it with apple vinegar? You're saying that antibiotics can be laxative, should I take some for my complaints or you're just saying they're not gut for my intestine? I was wondering that maybe I have some bacteria/fungus in my intestine, I must check it.
Also, can be headaches a sign of cleaning my intestine? They're really strong. How much time should it take to reduce inflammation and bacterial flora? Headaches, anxiety, feel of guilt, bloating, everything really disturbs my normal life... Awful. :(

Your gut has been the chronic problem that also gives you the anxiety problems in return. You should see an Ayurvedic practitioner for that not a normal doctor. Read about it -google
Just mix castor oil with a little coconut oil and eat teaspoon of it. It tastes a bit nutty.
You can try any fermented vegetables or juice, like fermented carrot juice or beet juice, for boosting good gut bacteria.
I did not mean that antibiotics can be laxative. No antibiotics kill also good gut microbes.
You do not want to take any psychoactive stimulants stuff like caffeine after using these SSRI, you need to first restore your neurotransmitters / get back in homeostasis, that takes at least one month. It is easier to make your neuron-firing calm down with GABA actives like Gotu Kola and Valerian.

GABA homeostasis contributes to the developmental programming of anxiety-related behavior. - PubMed - NCBI

Constatine

Thanks for advice!
I wouldn't worry about addiction to caffeine. Withdrawals are very minor compared to your current symptoms. Some people experience no withdrawals at all. Caffeine increases the brains antioxidants and prevents brain damage in a very general way (the reduction in inflammation will reduce anxiety), it also should reduce serotonin induced anxiety but antagonizes the action of gaba so it can make some forms of anxiety worse. But the jittery feeling people get on caffeine can be greatly dulled by consuming enough food with the caffeine, as caffeine without enough fuel causes a stress reaction. I've heard good things about Bifidobacterium breve but note that it is possible that any probiotic can have a negative effect on you. It's worth a try but it's definitely a risk. Putting turmeric in the goat milk can be very helpful. It's a ayurvedic practice (but they use cow's milk) that's pretty helpful for digestion. Turmeric is one of the better substances for gut health so it's worth a try. Curcumin has been shown to increase brain serotonin in at least one study but I have never had any trouble with it and I'm extremely sensitive to increases in serotonin as ive had serotonin syndrome before as well. As @ROBOTT32 has suggested coconut oil can be helpful but will probably cause a fairly large die off reaction. It it's very potent at killing bacteria but bacteria release endotoxin when they die and coconut oil increases the absorbtion of the endotoxin. It also protects against endotoxin but it will dramatically increase serum endotoxin in the short term. Don't take probiotics and anything that kills bacteria at the same time. It will kill the priobiotic bacteria and release a lot of toxins.

LUH 3417

Has anyone ever used transfer factor to reduce endotoxins? It’s supposed to be colostrum in pill form and apparently causes massive die off of all kinds of micro organisms.

LUH 3417

I wouldn't worry about addiction to caffeine. Withdrawals are very minor compared to your current symptoms. Some people experience no withdrawals at all. Caffeine increases the brains antioxidants and prevents brain damage in a very general way (the reduction in inflammation will reduce anxiety), it also should reduce serotonin induced anxiety but antagonizes the action of gaba so it can make some forms of anxiety worse. But the jittery feeling people get on caffeine can be greatly dulled by consuming enough food with the caffeine, as caffeine without enough fuel causes a stress reaction. I've heard good things about Bifidobacterium breve but note that it is possible that any probiotic can have a negative effect on you. It's worth a try but it's definitely a risk. Putting turmeric in the goat milk can be very helpful. It's a ayurvedic practice (but they use cow's milk) that's pretty helpful for digestion. Turmeric is one of the better substances for gut health so it's worth a try. Curcumin has been shown to increase brain serotonin in at least one study but I have never had any trouble with it and I'm extremely sensitive to increases in serotonin as ive had serotonin syndrome before as well. As @ROBOTT32 has suggested coconut oil can be helpful but will probably cause a fairly large die off reaction. It it's very potent at killing bacteria but bacteria release endotoxin when they die and coconut oil increases the absorbtion of the endotoxin. It also protects against endotoxin but it will dramatically increase serum endotoxin in the short term. Don't take probiotics and anything that kills bacteria at the same time. It will kill the priobiotic bacteria and release a lot of toxins.
Have you ever used lauricidin? I wonder if it would also increase endotoxins in the short term like you say coconut oil does.

Constatine

Have you ever used lauricidin? I wonder if it would also increase endotoxins in the short term like you say coconut oil does.
Monolaurin supplements make me feel way too I'll. Coconut oil is a little more gentle in my experience. Antibacterial agents in general increase endotoxin in the short term. Thus it's important to have a good antioxidant profile when you take anything with antibiotic activity. Intestinal alkaline phosphate is especially important for making endotoxins less toxic. Curcumin from turmeric has been shown to double IAP.

ginny-red

Thanks!
And what about castor oil and apple vinegar? I use both of them now, castor oil before bed and apple vinegar before meals. Also, I’ve just took one probiotic which I found to be good - Lactobacillus rhamnosus, there are some articles that this bacteria increases amount of SERT transporter in gut, which should be good for me if I have excess tryptophan and metabolism problems, what do you think? (Effect of Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG supernatant on serotonin transporter expression in rats with post-infectious irritable bowel syndrome)
Regarding your SS, when did you have it? And what medications caused that? How long did you take to return to your normal/good condition? And how are you feeling now? You’re saying that you are sensitive to serotonin, do you think it will last forever?
Sorry for all of these questions, but it’s good to talk with somebody with the same problems as mine.
Also, I’d like to ask - maybe you know - if chills (very intense, I’m still cold) and goosebumps and muscle tremors are also symptoms of excessive serotonin? Otherwise, I sweat more (mainly on the forehead) and have weird rash on my face, I’ve never had such problems... Maybe it’s a sign that my organism cleans itself from toxins.

Thanks!
And what about castor oil and apple vinegar? I use both of them now, castor oil before bed and apple vinegar before meals. Also, I’ve just took one probiotic which I found to be good - Lactobacillus rhamnosus, there are some articles that this bacteria increases amount of SERT transporter in gut, which should be good for me if I have excess tryptophan and metabolism problems, what do you think? (Effect of Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG supernatant on serotonin transporter expression in rats with post-infectious irritable bowel syndrome)
Regarding your SS, when did you have it? And what medications caused that? How long did you take to return to your normal/good condition? And how are you feeling now? You’re saying that you are sensitive to serotonin, do you think it will last forever?
Sorry for all of these questions, but it’s good to talk with somebody with the same problems as mine.
Also, I’d like to ask - maybe you know - if chills (very intense, I’m still cold) and goosebumps and muscle tremors are also symptoms of excessive serotonin? Otherwise, I sweat more (mainly on the forehead) and have weird rash on my face, I’ve never had such problems... Maybe it’s a sign that my organism cleans itself from toxins.

I'm sorry, Castor oil is against constipation and not for diarrhea. It can worsen diarrhea in high dose because it is a serotonin 5ht3 agonist. So be careful with that.
You want first treatment with 5ht3 antagonists. Ginger root is one. Methol also

edit: Mix 1 teaspoon Ghee, ¼ teaspoon Ginger powder, ¼ teaspoon natural sugar. Take this mixture two to three times per day for two to three days.
natural ayurvedic remedies

...increases amount of SERT transporter in gut.. is a good idea!
...you might feel anxious when wake up is that blood sugar level drops overnight while we sleep, and this can cause feelings of anxiety.
I think you should eat more sugary meal before sleep, like a gelatin pudding, Jello.

Edit: Increased prostaglandin PGE2 can also be cause of diarrhea, therefore aspirin can help against that very good.

edit: Efficacy and safety of 5-hydroxytryptamine 3 receptor antagonists in irritable bowel syndrome: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials
Conclusions
Ramosetron, cilansetron, ondansetron, and alosetron are effective for treating non-constipated IBS and IBS-D. Our systematic review found rare serious adverse events.

Last edited:
Thanks for advice!
I'm trying to eat a lot of raw fruits and vegetables.

"eating tons of raw fruit can cause your transit time to speed up so much that it doesn’t have time to ferment and increase bacterial proliferation in the gut. But eating a ton of raw fruit usually makes people freezing cold and feeling pretty crummy, probably due to its high water content, and low sodium content..." from - Reducing Serotonin Levels

...headaches a sign of cleaning my intestine.. Yes these may be the result of an impacted colon. Daily raw carrot will help after about a week.
“Some fibers, such as raw carrots, that are effective for lowering endotoxin absorption also contain natural antibiotics, so regular use of carrots should be balanced by occasional supplementation with vitamin K, or by occasionally eating liver or broccoli.”

Ray Peat, PhD on the Benefits of the Raw Carrot – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

Candida fungus, which is commonly associated with colon problems, needs to be checked for.

Regina

Monolaurin supplements make me feel way too I'll. Coconut oil is a little more gentle in my experience. Antibacterial agents in general increase endotoxin in the short term. Thus it's important to have a good antioxidant profile when you take anything with antibiotic activity. Intestinal alkaline phosphate is especially important for making endotoxins less toxic. Curcumin from turmeric has been shown to double IAP.
Yeah. Monolaurin plus artemisinin made me feel like I was dying. They are good but very powerful when combined.

LUH 3417

Yeah. Monolaurin plus artemisinin made me feel like I was dying. They are good but very powerful when combined.
I kind of like to torture myself so I’ll give it a try...and I have both at home.

Regina

I kind of like to torture myself so I’ll give it a try...and I have both at home.
Hah. I'm weird that way too. I did 3 little scoops of the monolaurin pellets and 200mg artemisinin tonight. Plus a lil charcoal. I feel okay. A tad sour tummy but not sick. And no joint pain. Clear head..

Big contrast to the first time I tried it

benaoao

It’s funny how vastly different we are on the neurotransmitter spectrum

I have to do the polar opposite of most of these recommendations to feel good. High carbs without proteins. Gelatin yeah but only in the morning, not too much. But the main thing is carbs carbs carbs.

ginny-red

Thanks!
@Constatine I hope you will answer for all of these questions, I really rely on you. :)
Also I’d like to ask about morning anxiety and headaches, did you had that?
Also, did you struggle with racing, intrusive thoughts and felt still guilty? It’s weird that excess serotonin in brain can cause these kind of symptoms, I’ve never been so fearful person.
Did you ever make some enemas for cleaning a gut? I heard that coffee enema is quite good for bacterial flora, maybe you have some expierence with that.
Regarding coffee, can I drink coffee beside of this that I’m taking caffeine as a suplement?
Hope you’ll exhaustively answer for this and previous post as always, because fighting with all of these symptoms is quite comprehensive.

Constatine

@Constatine I hope you will answer for all of these questions, I really rely on you. :)
Also I’d like to ask about morning anxiety and headaches, did you had that?
Also, did you struggle with racing, intrusive thoughts and felt still guilty? It’s weird that excess serotonin in brain can cause these kind of symptoms, I’ve never been so fearful person.
Did you ever make some enemas for cleaning a gut? I heard that coffee enema is quite good for bacterial flora, maybe you have some expierence with that.
Regarding coffee, can I drink coffee beside of this that I’m taking caffeine as a suplement?
Hope you’ll exhaustively answer for this and previous post as always, because fighting with all of these symptoms is quite comprehensive.
Castor oil can definitely be helpful and is generally safe and healthy. Apple vinegar can cause problems if your intestines are very sensitive but you'll know immediately if you are. It's good to take before meals but shouldn't be taken without meals. Regarding the probiotic I don't know if increased SERT in the gut is a good thing or not. It was noted in at least one study that SERT is upregulated in intestinal dysbiosis.
I had my SS about 6 months ago. I had been bitten by a brown recluse a few months prior and had to go on heavy antibiotics which later caused gut dysbiosis. My gut health became increasinly worse for several months as I struggled to deal with it. What initiated the SS was drinking an energy drink (red line) that I did not realize had 5-htp in it. My case was very bad and it took about 3 months to get to a decent state. I'm feeling good now, close to 100 percent though I still can't drink alcohol or eat poorly without relapsing a bit. I think the sensitivity to serotonin can definitely be overcome though to be completely healed you first must optimize your gut, then work on improving brain health (and regenerative processes). But the gut has to be healed first. From what I've seen it takes 2-3 years to fully restore the gut. But it can take as little as a week to have dramatically improved gut function. I definitely had muscle tremors for about 2 months after SS. My fingers would start rapidly twitching at times too. I honestly don't recall if I had chills, my awareness was significantly hindered during this time. I do remember sweating a lot. I've gotten rashes before from taking antibacterial substances, but not otherwise. I had headaches all the time during this period and used to have consistent migraines years ago. Anxiety is definitely one of the most intense symptom and would typically aflict me more at night than during the day. My anxiety was actually best in the morning. I had plenty of intruisive thoughts but never felt guilty. I never did any enemas. You can drink coffee with the caffeine. Though you wouldn't necessarily need the caffeine pills if you do this. The reason I recommended the caffeine pills is because many people with ibs, myself included, react very poorly to coffee. If you find you react fine to coffee then you probably don't need the pills. Coffee does seem to modify the effects of caffeine, it has compounds that lower the heart rate and act as a sedative as well as compounds that amplify the effects of caffeine but also cause a worse come down, it also has some opioid antagonist. But nevertheless coffee has been shown to positively modulate the gut bacteria. Some self experimentation is the only way to get definite answers but always be careful and listen to your body. Many people will tell you that a worsening of symptoms is just a die off reaction and that you should continue the protocol but this is rarely true.

Last edited:

Constatine

Castor oil can definitely be helpful and is generally safe and healthy. Apple vinegar can cause problems if your intestines are very sensitive but you'll know immediately if you are. It's good to take before meals but shouldn't be taken without meals. Regarding the probiotic I don't know if increased SERT in the gut is a good thing or not. It was noted in at least one study that SERT is upregulated in intestinal dysbiosis.
I had my SS about 6 months ago. I had been bitten by a brown recluse a few months prior and had to go on heavy antibiotics which later caused gut dysbiosis. My gut health became increasinly worse for several months as I struggled to deal with it. What initiated the SS was drinking an energy drink (red line) that I did not realize had 5-htp in it. My case was very bad and it took about 3 months to get to a decent state. I'm feeling good now, close to 100 percent though I still can't drink alcohol or eat poorly without relapsing a bit. I think the sensitivity to serotonin can definitely be overcome though to be completely healed you first must optimize your gut, then work on improving brain health (and regenerative processes). But the gut has to be healed first. From what I've seen it takes 2-3 years to fully restore the gut. But it can take as little as a week to have dramatically improved gut function. I definitely had muscle tremors for about 2 months after SS. My fingers would start rapidly twitching at times too. I honestly don't recall if I had chills, my awareness was significantly hindered during this time. I do remember sweating a lot. I've gotten rashes before from taking antibacterial substances, but not otherwise. I had headaches all the time during this period and used to have consistent migraines years ago. Anxiety is definitely one of the most intense symptom and would typically aflict me more at night than during the day. My anxiety was actually best in the morning. I had plenty of intruisive thoughts but never felt guilty. I never did any enemas. You can drink coffee with the caffeine. Though you wouldn't necessarily need the caffeine pills if you do this. The reason I recommended the caffeine pills is because many people with ibs, myself included, react very poorly to coffee. If you find you react fine to coffee then you probably don't need the pills. Coffee does seem to modify the effects of caffeine, it has compounds that lower the heart rate and act as a sedative as well as compounds that amplify the effects of caffeine but also cause a worse come down, it also has some opioid antagonist. But nevertheless coffee has been shown to positively modulate the gut bacteria. Some self experimentation is the only way to get definite answers but always be careful and listen to your body. Many people will tell you that a worsening of symptoms is just a die off reaction and that you should continue the protocol but this is rarely true.
I just want to mention that having a good caloric-nutriet intake (a slight slurplus) is incredibly important for healing intestinal illnesses and illnesses in general. So eating plenty of foods you find easily digestible is important.

ginny-red

6 months, quite a lot... And what about your gut, do you take any probiotics from that time or just eat healthy?
I think that my case might be in some ways worst because my SS lasted almost 3 weeks and I thought it's just stress... And I was taking HUGE amounts of tryptophan day by day, a lot of Rhodiola and SSRI for 5 days. My gut and brain are possibly heavily damaged.
I think feel of guilt is some kind of intensified awareness, I cannot just relax and don't think about anything, my thoughts are just circulating and I have lack of self confidence. Everything leads to huge anxiety and stress. But I sleep rather well, anxiety is worst in the morning.
Did you make some lab tests for your bacterial flora? Or anything what helped you to reduce inflammation?

Constatine

6 months, quite a lot... And what about your gut, do you take any probiotics from that time or just eat healthy?
I think that my case might be in some ways worst because my SS lasted almost 3 weeks and I thought it's just stress... And I was taking HUGE amounts of tryptophan day by day, a lot of Rhodiola and SSRI for 5 days. My gut and brain are possibly heavily damaged.
I think feel of guilt is some kind of intensified awareness, I cannot just relax and don't think about anything, my thoughts are just circulating and I have lack of self confidence. Everything leads to huge anxiety and stress. But I sleep rather well, anxiety is worst in the morning.
Did you make some lab tests for your bacterial flora? Or anything what helped you to reduce inflammation?
Your gut and brain are likely damaged but all things can heal. I don't want to get into too many details but my case was quite servere despite it's seemingly harmless cause. Thus im confident that you can recover from this. I've found turmeric, triphala, and meadowsweet to help with inflammation.

ginny-red

Your gut and brain are likely damaged but all things can heal. I don't want to get into too many details but my case was quite servere despite it's seemingly harmless cause. Thus im confident that you can recover from this. I've found turmeric, triphala, and meadowsweet to help with inflammation.
Thanks, sounds motivational.
And what doses of each of them and how many times per day/at what time/before-after meals?
Could you please write me down your example diet?

Constatine

Thanks, sounds motivational.
And what doses of each of them and how many times per day/at what time/before-after meals?
Could you please write me down your example diet?
I didn't take turmeric as a supplement, I cooked with it and put it in milk (1 tps typically). I used triphala at about 1g per day, any more and I would get a bloody nose. I dose 500mg in the morning and at around dinner. I made meadowsweet tea with about 800 mg of meadowsweet in a cup and I drank 1 cup. I did not consume meadowsweet regularly as though it did give me clear headedness and often caused a bowel movement it invoked a strange pressure (not quite a headache) in my head that concerned me. My diet is not too consistent but it does follow some general principals: medium-low fat intake and fats should be saturated, high fruit intake especially berries (and thus high antioxidant intake), at least 20g of protein every time I eat (as a low protein diet is detrimental to gut barrier function), a moderate amount of insoluble fiber such as carrots or bamboo shoots between most meals, and an avoidance of too much acidic foods or drinks. I drink a half gallon of goat milk every day but I don't drink it along with other foods as it dilutes stomach acid. I limit my muscle meat intake to twice a week and eat liver once a week. I eat cultural foods often especially Mediterrean dishes. I try to consume around 4000 calories a day and I'm 6'2 175 lb. I completely abstain from alcoholic beverages.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom