Takuo Fujita (Calcium Paradox) passed away on November 8, 2022, (16 days before Ray Peat)

OP
Apple

Apple

Total failure to do what?

“Administration of calcium carbonate as part of a normal breakfast resulted in completely normal absorption in the achlorhydric subjects.”
if you know how a/hypo chlorhydria feels...
Stomach gets easily irritated by different foods, produces too much histamin and causing all kinds of allergies. Dairy is rich in histamins on its own. Eggshell just stops any motility in stomach, makes me feel full for a half of day. Then foods passes rapidly through small intestine not giving enough time for absorption, and stays too long in large intestine feeding bacteria.
Calcium is absorbed with wrong timing, probably binds to wrong stuff, impedes absorption of other minerals and nutrients. I feel minerals depleted and numb after traditional calcium foods

youngsinatra

@Eberhardt how long have you been on low vitamin A? And have you gotten a serum vitamin A test somewhere in your journey?

I’m almost 2 years into the process. Best wishes to you.

yerrag

Is there any fix for this (poor sugar metabolism) ?
There is, but as I see it, there are two things about improving sugar metabolism that makes it a lot harder to accomplish.

One is that it involves many handoffs, all of which has to work, in order to achieve. It is apt to liken it to a chain, where the chain is as strong as the weakest link.

Second is that there no doctors of optimal sugar metabolism to see, who can guide patient or clients thru this maze. We are each left to our own devices, and a lot of us don't have all that it takes to get that done. What makes it harder is that people are accustomed to seeing immediate positive results from being used to the pharma model subconsciously ingrained to their minds, that it is hard for them to see the effects of lifestyle changes (such as going cold turkey on PUFA for 4 years to fully get rid of if from the system) that take long to take root and produce noticeable positive changes.

I would liken this situation to being an Odysseus who takes a long voyage, where along the way there are many distractions and temptations that would make them lose sight and forget about why they undertook that journey. Alternative lifestyles abound such as keto and paleo and lo-carb and carni and everything in between that offer an easy way out, and people are lured into them. So it is hard to be single-minded and focused as one gets saddled with doubt about the merits of optimal sugar metabolism from a lifestyle that is centered on carbs/sugar as a main raw material to be metabolized.

I have actually been accused of being part of a cult by a member here for being so convicted about the merits of optimal sugar metabolism. Never mind that he has not read enough about what Ray Peat has written, and from his ignorance he makes the conclusion about me being so convinced about the salutary effects of having optimal sugar metabolism, which I get from studiously going through Ray Peat's body of work. That it works for me is enough for me, even when others would consider that an n=1 truism that applies only to me. That said, it is very coherent and when you are connecting the dots and not making things up as you go, what Ray Peat has put together makes a lot of sense. Unlike many other models, which still rely on having a guru or high priest establish without proof that their ideas are "scientific."

But as for me answering your question on how to fix poor sugar metabolism, covering that subject in a post would hardly do justice to Ray Peat, as that is the main topic of his writings. I don't know if anyone has been able to summarize his work where it becomes much easier to answer that question. But this forum attempts to do that also, but a forum suffers from many inaccuracies that one has to vet his sources well. But if one has go know how to vet and trust the posters in this forum, that is like a chicken and egg question. It takes some prior mastery of Ray Peat's ideas in order to vet or filter the information posted here. And for that, I recommend people read Peat's works. It's not easy, comprehension and time wise, but doable. Just don't simply jump into a sailing ship blind not knowing where it will take you.

Last edited:
OP
Apple

Apple

@yerrag , Thanks for taking time to answer. I always find your comments insightful.

Peatress

if you know how a/hypo chlorhydria feels...
Stomach gets easily irritated by different foods, produces too much histamin and causing all kinds of allergies. Dairy is rich in histamins on its own. Eggshell just stops any motility in stomach, makes me feel full for a half of day. Then foods passes rapidly through small intestine not giving enough time for absorption, and stays too long in large intestine feeding bacteria.
Calcium is absorbed with wrong timing, probably binds to wrong stuff, impedes absorption of other minerals and nutrients. I feel minerals depleted and numb after traditional calcium foods
Salt restriction might be contributing to low stomach acid.

Sodium helps dispose of sugar so restricting salt could also be contributing to poor sugar metabolism.

OP
Apple

Apple

Salt restriction might be contributing to low stomach acid.

Sodium helps dispose of sugar so restricting salt could also be contributing to poor sugar metabolism.
I'm still not convinced about salt safety in long term. Some testimonials are quite disturbing. Most of the studies keep repeating that even salt resistant people are under risk of developing kidney desease on high salt diet, which is probably worse than cancer ...

This is the last comment from Matt Stone 180degreehealth forum:

Sierra on November 16, 2013 at 5:22 pm
Hi All, I just wanted to comment on the salt debate. I started taking Matt’s advice about a year ago and saw big improvements. I went from being having perma- icy hands to being warm and toasty in a T-shirt when those around me were wearing hoodies. I still struggle with feeling fatigued though. I recently had a physical to check out the reason for my fatigue. My thyroid (I’ve had issues in the past) was just fine. Vitamin D levels were really low (probably just living in a northern climate and being a nursing Mom) and…. my kidney function was classified in the range of ‘chronic kidney disease’. Yikes. I’ve never had an issue before with my kidneys. I attribute it to my high salt intake. So- just a word of caution. Do NOT go too nuts with the salt. I’m cutting way back.

OP
Apple

Apple

What do you consider high salt intake? Grams please
Well, I wouldn't consider myself salt restricted, I usually eat salty cheeses and add pinch of salt to rice, or a bit of pickles.
But when I start adding this white powder (one teaspoon throughout the day) , I occasionally feel headache or too much thirst. But generally It is less than half of tea spoon for me or no added salt at all. If I don't add any salt I don't feel anything wrong or sick.

On RP forum we are trying to enhance ourselves, physically and mentally, so I keep salt in mind. I noticed that refined iodized salt helps with allergies unlike sea salt. It could be a positive effect of iodine though.

Peatress

Well, I wouldn't consider myself salt restricted, I usually eat salty cheeses and add pinch of salt to rice, or a bit of pickles.
But when I start adding this white powder (one teaspoon throughout the day) , I occasionally feel headache or too much thirst. But generally It is less than half of tea spoon for me or no added salt at all. If I don't add any salt I don't feel anything wrong or sick.

On RP forum we are trying to enhance ourselves, physically and mentally, so I keep salt in mind. I noticed that refined iodized salt helps with allergies unlike sea salt. It could be a positive effect of iodine though.
You complained of low stomach acid and poor sugar metabolism so it was just a suggestion that salt might be lacking

yerrag

@yerrag , Thanks for taking time to answer. I always find your comments insightful.
Thank you.

I want to just add one little nit that I realized. That the term 'hypothyroid' is a bit misleading. I think suboptimal or low metabolism is more appropriate.

Hypothyroid is just one cause of low metabolism. When it is used to mean low metabolism, it would make people focus only on the thyroid.

Then people would take thyroid supplements on and on, and still find themselves to continue being low in metabolism, and be befuddled and frustrated.

Saying this just to add to why it is more complicated to work on improving and optimizing sugar metabolism.

Dawid

Ale jestem otwarty na alternatywne pomysły. Być może cała ta sprawa z wapniem to wielka przesada ze sprzedawaniem bezużytecznych suplementów i Ray Peat to kupił.
T Fujita był stronniczy w swoich badaniach nad wapniem i sprzedaży suplementów. Podobnie jak inne japońskie witaminy push k2, których skuteczność nigdy nie została udowodniona.

Takuo Fujita przyznaje: Japończycy żyją bardzo długo. Mają najwyższą trwałość na świecie... Japońska dieta jest bardzo uboga w wapń.

Nie widzisz tutaj sprzeczności?
Więc najwyraźniej nie cierpią na zwapnienia bardziej niż jakikolwiek inny kraj, pomimo niskiego poziomu wapnia, a może wręcz przeciwnie... :) Masajowie mają zwapnienie aorty już w wieku 40 lat.
Witaj magnez (i ćwiczenia)!
There are many other factors that promote longevity in Japan, such as a traditional diet, low in Western processed foods and rich in natural foods with lots of vegetables, seaweed and fish. The Japanese don't consume much calcium, but they don't consume much phosphorus either. Moreover, the longevity index concerns the older generation who have eaten traditional Japanese dishes all their lives. The young generation, which is increasingly adopting a Western diet, will certainly lower this index.

EvanHinkle

There are many other factors that promote longevity in Japan, such as a traditional diet, low in Western processed foods and rich in natural foods with lots of vegetables, seaweed and fish. The Japanese don't consume much calcium, but they don't consume much phosphorus either. Moreover, the longevity index concerns the older generation who have eaten traditional Japanese dishes all their lives. The young generation, which is increasingly adopting a Western diet, will certainly lower this index.
Interesting what you said about phosphorus, in his latest podcast Danny Roddy theorized that Ray’s embrace of vegetables while lowering protein consumption may have a net effect of keeping the calcium to phosphorous ratio high without relying on dairy to do so.

You comment just made me think of this, and I thought I’d mention it.

Runenight201

what a great read!

I wish the Dr. Fujita would have considered an evolutionary biology approach to the calcium paradox. After all, humans existed before dairy was invented, so either the ancient hominoid was calcium deficient, which can’t be, since we are all alive today, or they found a calcium source that allowed for proper physiological development and maintenance.

So it had to be either bony fish or greens…or perhaps both? Mixed in a stew? Fish soup anyone? Perhaps this is the lost superfood that we all need….

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals