Unlimited Oxygen Intake Is Crucial But Taken For Granted Until Your Lungs No Longer Provide It

yerrag

Until lately, I have taken my lungs for granted. Without any doubt, it is natural when I had good endurance. One time, without needing to train, I was surprised I could run up a steep hill of 5 km at a brisk, competitive pace and not falter. When my kayak would roll over, and I became underwater, I could take my time underneath the waves that my companions would start to wonder why I had not popped up.

Since February this year, when my lungs were subject to irritation by chemical stress, from my having taken cinnamon bark oil orally in the wrong way, my lungs have not been the same. And actually, it has been underperforming everyone else except for elderly people and people who suffer from emphysema from smoking. When I walk, I can feel myself panting from it, and have to slow down to a crawl. When I saw I piece of soft banana trunk, I my lungs would already strain from the little effort it requires.

This is 4 months after the incident. And it isn't so bad when, despite the ugly comparison I gave you, I am getting better, although a lot of patience is needed. As the body has its own schedule of healing, and the healing pace is highly dependent on the quality of treatment it is given. As I don't rely on doctors or hospital anymore, but on my own research, based a lot on Peat's writings and research shared here, I have quite a bit of a learning curve to overcome.

Old-timers here like me (member since 1016) have already been disabused of the notion that answers are within a click of your finger on the world wide web and on the Ray Peat Forum, and that finding a solution can still be a solitary journey (at least that has been my feeling). I, for one, still have to do deep dives on RPF material and RP material, and find as much sense as I connect all that content together in my mind. And from that, I have to begin experimenting on myself.

At a certain point, without even being fully healed and using that as my basis for giving you a definitive answer to how I fixed myself, I can begin to throw out some ideas from my experience that is largely still hypothetical but not just based on a whim but some data, however rough shod and diorganized the data come to me (I used to be more organized, but now it it has given way to more analyzing rather than the tedious routine of recording data which often I cannot find justification for). It's akin to being chased by a wolf and trying to measure how fast you can run, which would be a luxury.

That is my introduction before I get to the meat of the matter. I think the reader should know where I am coming from posting this. Here comes the gist of my post:

1. Having enough oxygen, not unlimited oxygen from the lungs, is still enough to give me good metabolism. If I were just in a state of rest, and I ate right. And were not subject to much stress- in all its forms- physically, physiologically, psychologically, and socioculturally. But since I am not subject now to physical, sociocultural and psychological stress, I would not know really know their effects with regard for my need for additional oxygen. But my current lung condition, bronchitis. ;eaves me vulnerable to physiological stress.

I still eat well, go through my day waking up and doing my chores and work, and reading and writing as I used to, and not given to fits of rage. My blood pressure is as high as usual, but as usual not affecting me any differently than when my lungs were better. My heart rate and my metabolism however, would vary, and would seem to correlate to my spO2 levels, but mostly being within the normal range used by the standard of care (medical establishment).

2. The most I could expect from working with just enough oxygen is that I cannot have excellent metabolism, just good. Good is when I would still see my blood sugar still being stable, and me not getting diabetic nor hypoglycemic. But I would see myself becoming more acidic. My urine would be at a lower pH, while my saliva would be correspondingly lower but higher by about 1 pH than my urine, and my breathing rate would still be normal at 14, which means there is enough CO2 to enable tissue oxygenation. This would mean that while I'm not given to anaerobic glycolysis, I'm not running totally on oxidative phosphorylation, and it is likely I am at times running on aerobic glycolysis.

It could very well be that I'm on 50% aerobic glycolysis and 50% oxidative phosphorylation.

I suspect given that my body senses my oxygen supply is limited, it must be downthrottling my thyroid production, in order to keep my oxygen consumption down to as to match my body's oxygen demand to the limited oxygen supply

This may explain why I am slightly hypothyroid now, as based on my ECG QTc value.

It may explain why when I took thyroid and pregnenolone to rev up my metabolism, i ended with a lower metabolism and felt spacey (lack of oxygen in my head) the next day, I think I intervened against the wisdom of the body, against its decision to lower my metabolism in order to match my oxygen demand to my limited oxygen intake.

It may also explain why when I took 6 glasses of carbonated water one day, I would keep waking up at night to urinate 2 to 3 cupfuls of very alkaline urine. For the body wanted to limit my metabolic rate. This would be along the lines of what Ray Peat would call protective inhibition.

3. I had been wondering why my ECG curve has been looking very different also. My QRS curve has been very low (for those whos don't understand what this is, kindly google for an image, as my trend of thought is disturbed when I had to draw up a low curve and a high curve and explain why it changes. Sorry) and it reflects the low energy available to the heart as it pumps. It indicates pleural effusion in the lungs (liquid in the lungs, which would block also gaseous exchange such as oxygen intake and CO2 exhaust). I would wonder if this were true because why would the lungs affect the heart in this way. A lot of times research just says and doesn't explain why. So I spent months thinking about this. But now I think that is true and not just the medical establishment making things up (I am given to doubting what they say as I am afraid of being led down a wild goose chase). As the heart pumps to the lungs to get blood oxygenated, coming back from the lungs, the heart is the first organ that the newly oxygenated blood passes, and so the heart would know be the first to know if there is enough oxygen available for it to use as usual. With less oxygen available due the poor oxygen intake in the lungs, the heart would not be able to continue to pump in a way that would be reflected in a high QRS curve. It is probably a protective mechanism of the body to conserve the use of the limited oxygen availability.

4. Along with my bronchitis, I also have symptoms of ALS. I would be thinking of this as me having to face two problems at the same time. I would be thinking of this as both a breathing issue as well as s neuromuscular issue on an equivalent level. But now I think of it is a breathing issue primarily and a neuromuscular issue secondarily. I should fix the breathing issue first and the neuromuscular issue should be fixed as a result.

I think that the body may be inducing the neuromuscular issue to keep me from physical activity as protective inhibition, to channel my limited metabolic energy towards healing my lungs, so as to regain my ability to breathe in unlimited oxygen. And so I should just help my body towards that goal by not getting in its way.

5. Expressing my thanks once again to Ray Peat for giving me material to build on as I think my way out of my health issue. Especially for writing "Mind And Tissue," which is a deep read and which intially appeared irrelevant to me that I didn't read it. But now becomes very relevant as it exposes the wrong way by which western doctors frame their approach towards healing. It is a deep read that now I appreciate very much, although I am not even halfway to finishing reading.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

With due respect to Ray Peat, I think that his idea of having good metabolism relating it to high tissue oxygenation and the avoidance of hypoxia, while valid, easily misleads us into thinking that spO2 levels in the very low 90s is still a sign of good health.

While it is more a sign of hypoxemia (low oxygen in the blood due to poor external respiration, where the lungs are compromised in its ability to do gas exchange effectively, not being able to both excrete CO2 and absorb oxygen to and from the atmosphere adequately, respectively.

While I would in the past welcome being in the mid-90s to the the low-90s w/r to spO2 levels, now I would see a value of 95 as already a red flag, at or near sea levels.

Raising a red flag would alert me early enough to having a lung issue. Not knowing In have poor oxygen intake in my lungs make me vulnerable to running out of breath when the immune system needs to use up a lot of oxygen in order to enable the respiratory burst of phagocytosis, which is needed to eliminate toxins and pathogens.

When the oxygen intake is low due to weak lungs, a perfect storm results when the immune system should demand a lot of oxygen intake to do its job. A state of shock would result when spO2 levels drop too low for too long.

When the lungs are healthy, the body can adequately provide the immune system with enough oxygen to respond to high levels of threat from pathogenic infections or high levels of toxicity.

It may not be coincidental that Ray died due to respiratory related matters because he underestimated the threat of having low spO2 levels.

Explorer

With due respect to Ray Peat, I think that his idea of having good metabolism relating it to high tissue oxygenation and the avoidance of hypoxia, while valid, easily misleads us into thinking that spO2 levels in the very low 90s is still a sign of good health.

While it is more a sign of hypoxemia (low oxygen in the blood due to poor external respiration, where the lungs are compromised in its ability to do gas exchange effectively, not being able to both excrete CO2 and absorb oxygen to and from the atmosphere adequately, respectively.

While I would in the past welcome being in the mid-90s to the the low-90s w/r to spO2 levels, now I would see a value of 95 as already a red flag, at or near sea levels.

Raising a red flag would alert me early enough to having a lung issue. Not knowing In have poor oxygen intake in my lungs make me vulnerable to running out of breath when the immune system needs to use up a lot of oxygen in order to enable the respiratory burst of phagocytosis, which is needed to eliminate toxins and pathogens.

When the oxygen intake is low due to weak lungs, a perfect storm results when the immune system should demand a lot of oxygen intake to do its job. A state of shock would result when spO2 levels drop too low for too long.

When the lungs are healthy, the body can adequately provide the immune system with enough oxygen to respond to high levels of threat from pathogenic infections or high levels of toxicity.

It may not be coincidental that Ray died due to respiratory related matters because he underestimated the threat of having low spO2 levels.
Are 97-98% spO2 and 90-110 heart rate, 37.1 celsius temperature averages good?

Peatress

No one knows exactly what happened so this is just speculation. Don’t forget the fires in Oregon. Anyway, didn’t Peat say too much oxygen in the brain and not enough carbon dioxide constricts blood vessels? I guess the question is what is too much and what is not enough? People with high metabolism tend to have spO2 in the mid to low 90’s.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVFclIgjtDE&t=2034s

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Are 97-98% spO2 and 90-110 heart rate, 37.1 celsius temperature averages good?
I'm okay with those spO2 levels, just can't be sure if they're optimal but at the very least it isn't as bad as being on 99, which I think means not much tissue oxygenation. I was glad I improved from 99 to 97-98, which was my state before I got into this lung issue. I am 94-95 now where I run out of breath easily.

If you're often above 100, your heart may be straining due to stress. if it gets there sometimes, it's fine but if you're often operating above 100, you're stressed chronically and it's not good long term.

The temp looks good. Some would say hyperthyroid, and would love be the there.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

No one knows exactly what happened so this is just speculation. Don’t forget the fires in Oregon.
Who knows what exactly happened? in the absence of information, speculation is only natural. There is wild speculation and then there is thoughtful speculation.
Anyway, didn’t Peat say too much oxygen in the brain and not enough carbon dioxide constricts blood vessels?
Yes, but did what I wrote contradict that?
I guess the question is what is too much and what is not enough? People with high metabolism tend to have spO2 in the mid to low 90s.
Yes, he said that but he leaves a gray area because he doesn't make clear whether those low spO2 levels refer to a person in high altitudes or at sea level.

I don't know of anyone in this forum who has those spO2 values and can attribute those values to high metabolism, do you?

Peatress

Who knows what exactly happened? in the absence of information, speculation is only natural. There is wild speculation and then there is thoughtful speculation.

Yes, but did what I wrote contradict that?

Yes, he said that but he leaves a gray area because he doesn't make clear whether those low spO2 levels refer to a person in high altitudes or at sea level.

I don't know of anyone in this forum who has those spO2 values and can attribute those values to high metabolism, do you?
I haven't asked.

You issue a declarative statement on Ray's cause of death and then 'thoughtfully speculate' (i.e., imply) his cause of death supports whatever this thread is about.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

You issue a declarative statement on Ray's cause of death and then 'thoughtfully speculate' (i.e., imply) his cause of death supports whatever this thread is about.
Your English is off when "may" is considered declarative. Where did you learn your English?

OP
yerrag

yerrag

I haven't asked.
I had. In fact, I had a thread asking about spO2 values and none even reached below the mid-90s.

I've played back Ray's answer to the question of how low spO2 can be and be considered a sign of excellent metabolism and it hasn't been an unconditional answer of "low to mid 90s, even at sea level."

So I'm running that question back, and saying I don't believe even at excellent metabolism one's spO2 levels cannot be that low. If one believes he can use "low to mid-90s" of spO2 to be indicative of excellent metabolism because of excellent tissue oxygenation, he can be putting himself in danger by allowing hypoxemia.

Ray does not believe in people following him blindly, and that's why I do my due diligence by putting his statement regarding "low to mid-90s spO2" under a microscope.

If I were to rephrase his statement, it would take the form of:

Very high spO2 values of 99 to 100 is, contrary to popular lefief, not a healthy sign. It more likely indicates poor tissue oxygenation. A value of 96-98 would be better in terms of quality of tissue oxygenation. But in high altitudes, an spO2 level of low to mid-90s would be indicative of excellent tissue oxygenation, but for people with excellent sugar metabolism where CO2 is extremely helpful in maximizing tissue oxygenation.

Your English is off when "may" is considered declarative. Where did you learn your English?
Good one. Reread my post; I already parsed your sentence correctly.
You should have said "it may not be coincidental that Ray might have died due to respiratory related matters".

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Good one. Reread my post; I already parsed your sentence correctly.
You should have said "it may not be coincidental that Ray might have died due to respiratory related matters".
Argumentative.

Keep parsing and the meaning won't change.

Just say oops.

Jam

Regarding the ALS symptoms: caprylic acid:

View: https://twitter.com/friendsofgrouf/status/1675370494374060032

F0AciQ8XgAAYvjG

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Thanks Jam, but my ALS symptoms did not originate without a cause that I can blame my genetics. Besides, genetics is the last thing I would blame. This would distract me by leading me into a medical mainstream rabbit hole of thought.

My guiding light are Ray Peat principles and the thpugh process and tradition leading back to Aristotelian ideas leading to the bio-energetic ideas that are consistent with the existence of a life force known as "chi" in TCM. The "vitality of life" is dependent on having energy, and this is where I start and end my inquiries into why I developed ALS symptoms. It is bearing fruit as I see progress in my state without having to search far and wide, as the answer is within what Ray Pest has written over the years. For me, it is in connecting the dots and it is in getting sick that I am forced to connect the dots that otherwise would not have.

Explorer

Thanks Jam, but my ALS symptoms did not originate without a cause that I can blame my genetics. Besides, genetics is the last thing I would blame. This would distract me by leading me into a medical mainstream rabbit hole of thought.

My guiding light are Ray Peat principles and the thpugh process and tradition leading back to Aristotelian ideas leading to the bio-energetic ideas that are consistent with the existence of a life force known as "chi" in TCM. The "vitality of life" is dependent on having energy, and this is where I start and end my inquiries into why I developed ALS symptoms. It is bearing fruit as I see progress in my state without having to search far and wide, as the answer is within what Ray Pest has written over the years. For me, it is in connecting the dots and it is in getting sick that I am forced to connect the dots that otherwise would not have.
Ray Pest????

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Tired of fixing after it. It should be smarter.

Jam

Hi yerrag, disregard the genetics bit, I didn't write that and the fact that caprylic acid seems to help in the way that it might has nothing to do with genetics.

Is your blood pressure still high @yerrag

I found that using Frolov breathing device, with water, then in a jar covered with a kitchen towel, working that, can really fix almost anything. Have you tried it yet?

2g of thiamine daily for a week or two helps also, as a safe form of acetazolamide, loading, then 500mg to 1000mg per day.

If you can tolerate baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon a few times a day with water between meals.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals