Why Dr. Gundry Changed his Mind on Gut Damaging Foods (and 5 other things)

Ashs

Thanks for sharing, very informative. Bittersweet too 😊 😟
I truly hope that Gundry makes this second book available for free to those who bought the book. Or else it's just a money making venture.
I myself have bought the first book and am certainly not going to put money in someone else's pocket just because they changed their mind.

Kray

I truly hope that Gundry makes this second book available for free to those who bought the book. Or else it's just a money making venture.
I myself have bought the first book and am certainly not going to put money in someone else's pocket just because they changed their mind.
I've known of his name, but this is the first time I've stopped to listen in on some of his podcasts.

I am a dairy fan- A2 milk, mind you- and it's a bit disconcerting to get his take on milk as a food (only for baby cows, too much growth hormone, etc). What's your overall take on him, since it seems you know a bit more about him? Are you a Peater by the way? I was considering buying his Gut Check. Thanks for any feedback.

Ashs

I've known of his name, but this is the first time I've stopped to listen in on some of his podcasts.

I am a dairy fan- A2 milk, mind you- and it's a bit disconcerting to get his take on milk as a food (only for baby cows, too much growth hormone, etc). What's your overall take on him, since it seems you know a bit more about him? Are you a Peater by the way? I was considering buying his Gut Check. Thanks for any feedback.
My overall take on anyone is this: If one is giving advice or suggestions in general as an 'n1' and its free of charge it's one thing.
But to put it down as evidence based and charge a fee for that...it's different.
Then if you change your perspective on something that was previously taught, and sell it a 2.0 .....is not ethical.
However I am not saying that all that is in his book is incorrect, he himself has made that change/correction which is great, but to then add a charge to read it......I'm not sold.

As far as your specific question on A2 milk, I do not know whether it has added growth hormones or not. I myself was a 'peater' after being a 'carnivore' for many years.
I too drank about 3 litres of A2 milk a day plus 1 liter of orange juice plus added sugar like most people on here. But I can say that I was better off on a high meat based diet than this peat- milk-oj-sugar-aspirin-niacinamide- ...the list goes on.
However after Charlie took real control early this year and brought this new paradigm of thought with regard to 'low vitA' I was very sceptical at first mostly because it went directly against 'peat '. And also I was bemused that most of the other vociferous ones on here did not raise a challenge to Charlie's new paradigm. Whether they were scarred of being banned or not I can't say.
But if they were previously so gungho about their ideas why not stand up now and amicably say something, anything. Just silence ....and that to me says a lot.

Anyway I jumped on board Charlie's new 'low vitA' paradigm with nicotinic acid,magnesium, potassium, molybdenum etc and dropped all forms of dairy 100% ....and I (n1) personally 'DO NOT REGRET IT ONE BIT'....But it's early days still and only time will tell in the long run.
But for now I feel much much better in mind and body by dropping all dairy totally.
So far I firmly believe that Charlie is on the correct path.
Sorry my my long post.

Kray

My overall take on anyone is this: If one is giving advice or suggestions in general as an 'n1' and its free of charge it's one thing.
But to put it down as evidence based and charge a fee for that...it's different.
Then if you change your perspective on something that was previously taught, and sell it a 2.0 .....is not ethical.
However I am not saying that all that is in his book is incorrect, he himself has made that change/correction which is great, but to then add a charge to read it......I'm not sold.

As far as your specific question on A2 milk, I do not know whether it has added growth hormones or not. I myself was a 'peater' after being a 'carnivore' for many years.
I too drank about 3 litres of A2 milk a day plus 1 liter of orange juice plus added sugar like most people on here. But I can say that I was better off on a high meat based diet than this peat- milk-oj-sugar-aspirin-niacinamide- ...the list goes on.
However after Charlie took real control early this year and brought this new paradigm of thought with regard to 'low vitA' I was very sceptical at first mostly because it went directly against 'peat '. And also I was bemused that most of the other vociferous ones on here did not raise a challenge to Charlie's new paradigm. Whether they were scarred of being banned or not I can't say.
But if they were previously so gungho about their ideas why not stand up now and amicably say something, anything. Just silence ....and that to me says a lot.

Anyway I jumped on board Charlie's new 'low vitA' paradigm with nicotinic acid,magnesium, potassium, molybdenum etc and dropped all forms of dairy 100% ....and I (n1) personally 'DO NOT REGRET IT ONE BIT'....But it's early days still and only time will tell in the long run.
But for now I feel much much better in mind and body by dropping all dairy totally.
So far I firmly believe that Charlie is on the correct path.
Sorry my my long post.
I see your point about selling his 2nd book. I hadn't thought of it that way.

As for the anti-vitamin A diet, I for one think it's great that people have found good results, and it's helpful information to keep in mind for overall wellbeing. That being said, I don't think it's worth debating ad nauseam or getting upset about, since a lot of content is about people's anecdotal results. This is really nothing different than all the Peaty stuff being shared over the years- one size doesn't fit all, and even in the same person, the body and metabolism change over time, and so many other variables. I do come back to "everything in moderation", like grandma used to say. Just my gut- no pun!

Thanks for your input!

Last edited:

nomoreketones

Just the opposite for me.

Someone well known willing to change their mind when they come across new evidence or ideas is very rare. That makes me more likely to buy their new book after buying the old book.

Kray

Just the opposite for me.

Someone well known willing to change their mind when they come across new evidence or ideas is very rare. That makes me more likely to buy their new book after buying the old book.
This is also true, if true in this case 👌

OP
K

Kimster

Forum Supporter

Personally, we have to use discernment everywhere. Life is not one size fits all. I piled on 10# from listening to Ray Peat info, that's on me. Never did eat a carrot salad as I really only ever liked carrots juiced. Gave away my 2 juicers a few years back. I'm taking Georgi's Tyromix and just today got my yemp up to 98.6
Sorting through the info like all of us. I'm sure these Docs are malicious, they're looking at the data and interpreting to the best of their ability. Thank goodness they are willing to recant and pivot once they gather more data and/or conflicting data. Change is constant. Gundry could have retired a long time ago, I think he truly cares. Though he was in California at Loma Linda the vegetarian community and he mentions their great health, the one thing never mentioned is the low testosterone of the men eating those plants. So, it's not the paradise as described. No utopia as of yet anywhere. We're all kinda brailing through life. I didn't drink or touch milk, only cheese for 30-35 years. Only started putting some half & half in my coffee a year ago. Maybe that added to the weight gain, I'm not sure.

One thing that I found interesting and it was a passing comment in the podcast was that cashews are in the same family as poison Ivy & Oak. I have not research the families yet. I stopped eating cashews years ago due to the high carbs. I am extremely allergic to poison Ivy & the cousin of it, Virginia Creeper, which lots of people put in the yard as an ornamental. 5 leaves instead of 3. Though as a baby it sends out runners like ivy, red stem & 3 leaves Once anchored it goe vertical green stem with 5 leaves. Just brishing it or getting on my garden glove and I'll start to blister. Funny he called cashew milk........poison Ivy juice! Then he talked about natives giving the seeds to tourists. I traveled the world making wildlife films for 20 years. In South America the cashew fruit looks like a big apple and on the bottom is one nut. The locals pick the nuts roast crack open the shell and bag the cashew meat and sell it. They dry the fruits once they turn red or yellow and eat the dried fruit.
Just as he mentioned.

If milk works for you that go for it. We're all unique. Thank Goodness, how boring if we were all the same Trial and error we figure out our specific systems.
I gave up corn years ago simply because it is something no one digests. No one eats corn......we all just borrow it for awhile. So, the gluten antibody trigger & corn was an interesting dot connecting I thought!

Thank goodness for forums like this, the people contributing to help each other and Charlie for hosting it and spraying the WD-40 on things when needed to keep it rolling down the track. Humans are meant to come together in communities it's how we're innately wired. That survival of the fittest was all elite chatter from the days of Malthusian influence and the fear of resources running out. We live in an abundant world and SOURCE wants us all to be healthy, Loved, Wealthy & Prosperous. Collaboration, Cooperation and Community is our true nature. We're getting there, we're all just impatient now waiting for the destruction of the 'People of Lack' to finally recyscle to SOURCE, evolve or just get out of the way. So, the 'People of Abundance' can Restore the beauty of the Planet & Humanity. We already know what we don't want as contrast. Cheers

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals