Why would someone react badly to slow-cooked meat?

dishealthful

Forum Supporter
I've found that rated meat that has been slow-cooked for more than 5 hours always makes me very sick. It's not the histamine content, as I have no issue with fermented foods.

Any ideas?

Validus

I've found that rated meat that has been slow-cooked for more than 5 hours always makes me very sick. It's not the histamine content, as I have no issue with fermented foods.

Any ideas?
The first idea that popped into my head if the same exact food & dish prepared/cooked another way doesn't bother you would be that the container you're slow cooking the dish in is made out of a material that is toxic to your body.

Everything that I've read indicates most of us should only cooking using high quality stainless steel pots, pans and skillets. Stainless steel with very high aluminum and nickel content are toxic and should be avoided.

You can determine if their aluminum and nickel content are high using a magnet. The inside bottom & sides, where your food will be touching are where you want to ensure they're magnetic. If a magnetic doesnt stick to the inside bottom and sides, then they're no good.

Just a thought. Your issue may be something else.

Beatrix_

It could be a huge amount of histamine much larger than in small amounts of the fermented food you are used to eat or other amines, or as said above toxin leaching from the cooking pot. What are the symptoms?

Excessive glycation?

Logan-

Cooking that long would dry-out and oxidize the meat to a significant degree, even if the meat is cooked in a liquid matrix. That would increase its immunogenicity and insulinogenicity, in addition to problems with lipid peroxidation. I would consider that meat as a waste product. Meat should be juicy. Read Ray’s article on meat.

Last edited:

sphenoid

Cooking that long would dry-out and oxidize the meat to a significant degree, even if the meat is cooked in a liquid matrix. That would increase its immunogenicity and insulinogenicity, in addition to problems with lipid peroxidation. I would consider that meat as a waste product. Meat should be juicy. Read Ray’s article on meat.

Do you have any idea as to why someone would crave smoked/well-cooked meat? Personally, I enjoy meat that is cooked very little and maintains its juicyness but my dad can't stand it and instead loves to smoke his meat and cook it very thoroughly. He has had gut issues that have gone on for a long time and I am wondering whether that is a result of this preference or the preference is a result of the state of his gut.

S.Holmes

I also feel terrible eating anything slow cooked. I traded in my crock pot for an Instapot.

"You might find this interesting and useful. Glutamate salts are made FROM glutamic acid. All meats, poultry, fish, eggs, dairy products, and kombu are excellent sources of glutamic acid. Now, place any source of glutamic acid in a slow cooker. Add salt (sodium chloride). It doesn’t take long before the process will break down the proteins into amino acids (one of which is glutamic acid). Combine the glutamic acid with sodium and you can generate sodium glutamate, much of which is the single sodium salt: MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE. People who are sensitive to MSG might want to steer clear of meats that have been slow cooked; pot roast, stew, and so on. Yes, it isn’t easy."

OP
D

dishealthful

Forum Supporter
The first idea that popped into my head if the same exact food & dish prepared/cooked another way doesn't bother you would be that the container you're slow cooking the dish in is made out of a material that is toxic to your body.

Everything that I've read indicates most of us should only cooking using high quality stainless steel pots, pans and skillets. Stainless steel with very high aluminum and nickel content are toxic and should be avoided.

You can determine if their aluminum and nickel content are high using a magnet. The inside bottom & sides, where your food will be touching are where you want to ensure they're magnetic. If a magnetic doesnt stick to the inside bottom and sides, then they're no good.

Just a thought. Your issue may be something else.

I slow cook things in borosilicate class, which should be completely clean

It could be a huge amount of histamine much larger than in small amounts of the fermented food you are used to eat or other amines, or as said above toxin leaching from the cooking pot. What are the symptoms?

Headache and nausea

Excessive glycation?

Could you explain why this would be a problem particular to slow cooking?

OP
D

dishealthful

Forum Supporter
Will look into it, thanks

I also feel terrible eating anything slow cooked. I traded in my crock pot for an Instapot.

"You might find this interesting and useful. Glutamate salts are made FROM glutamic acid. All meats, poultry, fish, eggs, dairy products, and kombu are excellent sources of glutamic acid. Now, place any source of glutamic acid in a slow cooker. Add salt (sodium chloride). It doesn’t take long before the process will break down the proteins into amino acids (one of which is glutamic acid). Combine the glutamic acid with sodium and you can generate sodium glutamate, much of which is the single sodium salt: MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE. People who are sensitive to MSG might want to steer clear of meats that have been slow cooked; pot roast, stew, and so on. Yes, it isn’t easy."
I eat a lot of cheese without issue. I wonder what the relative amounts of MSG are

Sebastian B

Forum Supporter
How are you preparing the meat? Is it being cooked into a stew? If so, the fat isn't being cooked out the way it would be if it were baked. Therefore, the extra fat could be an issue.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals