Yerba Mate Better Than Coffee?

dq139

I hear that yerba mate has a good amount of caffeine that doesn't give jitters to most people (acts like a adaptogen). It has Vitamins A, B complex, C and E. minerals like Zinc magnesium calcium potassium manganese selenium (Iron also unfortunately) ect...more antioxidants than green tea and coffee..
I would think it would be good to prevent bone mineral loss...if u take it with sugar I don't see how it couldn't be healthy.

let me know what u guys think?

jlneuro

21 Health Benefits of Yerba Mate
This gives a decent summary of the numerous benefits of Yerba Mate. I personally love this drink and the euphoric energy it provides. Plus, it tends to have a calming effect on the body and stimulatory effect on the mind, which is ideal in my opinion.

In terms of carcinogenic effects, this is probably caused by the method/frequency of drinking mate. Traditionally, yerba mate is consumed hot (~180 degrees) through a metal straw called a bombilla. This causes the hot liquid to enter the esophagus and potentially irritate over time. However, if drunk cold and/or less frequently, I doubt this will be problematic.

squanch

In terms of carcinogenic effects, this is probably caused by the method/frequency of drinking mate. Traditionally, yerba mate is consumed hot (~180 degrees) through a metal straw called a bombilla. This causes the hot liquid to enter the esophagus and potentially irritate over time. However, if drunk cold and/or less frequently, I doubt this will be problematic.
A lot of yerba mate is also smoked, this might contribute too. There are unsmoked varieties available though.

Unfortunately I always get those scary chest pains when drinking yerba mate daily after a few weeks, same thing happens when I eat a lot of chocolate daily. Coffee doesn't have this effect, so it can't be the caffeine. I always thought it might be one of the other xanthines, theobromine maybe?

Shadow

21 Health Benefits of Yerba Mate
This gives a decent summary of the numerous benefits of Yerba Mate. I personally love this drink and the euphoric energy it provides. Plus, it tends to have a calming effect on the body and stimulatory effect on the mind, which is ideal in my opinion.

Im from southern Brazil and here drinking yerba mate(as Chimarrão) is a strong tradition, people drink it all day. The state of Rio Grande do Sul, where drinking yerba mate is a very strong habit, has the highest rates of esophagus cancer in the country. They drink it too hot! As you said ~180 degrees where the maximum should be 140. But no one seems to agree if the culprit is the hot water, the herbicides or if the plant has indeed dangerous carcinogecis.

To me the problem is indeed the water temperature. I dont know, but if there was intake of considerable amounts of carcinogecis to be able to induce a cancer, why only the esophagus is affected?

In any case, I prefer coffee

Lejeboca

They drink it too hot! As you said ~180 degrees where the maximum should be 140

It seems that the study referenced by @Constatine shows that either cold or hot mate, if it 'infuses' long time, has an elevated level of PAHs (polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons), which may be carcinogenic.

But it looks like a general consensus, a 'rule of thumb', is not to drink it hot (i.e., at about 60-70C), less than 1L per day. And especially not to drink it by smokers.

The state of Rio Grande do Sul, where drinking yerba mate is a very strong habit, has the highest rates of esophagus cancer in the country

I wonder what percent of the population there smoke? I am not from Brazil but my understanding is that people there smoke a lot.

A lot of yerba mate is also smoked, this might contribute too. There are unsmoked varieties available though.

I've read that almost all the mate leaves are first quickly conditioned/dried in tumblers under the wood-burning fire. Second, further drying is achieved as air-dried/or smoke-dried. Hence, when you see "un-smoked" on the package, it would mean 'air-dried' in the second phase above.

At any rate, for me, since I don't smoke, the multiple benefits of consuming mate in moderation outweigh potential dangers of PAHs.

Shadow

I wonder what percent of the population there smoke? I am not from Brazil but my understanding is that people there smoke a lot.

First of all, the south is composed by 3 states, Parana, Santa Catarina and Rio Grande do Sul.

The three southern states are the ones with the higher smokers numbers. Only losing to Mato Grosso do Sul(18,6%).
- Parana. 18,1%
- Santa Catarina. 16%
- Rio Grande do Sul. 14,2%

- Of all the capital cities(from all the country), the southern ones occupy the 1st, 3rd and 6th position.
- 16% of Porto Alegre(Rio Grande do Sul capital)
- 13% of Curitiba(Parana capital)
- 12% of Florianopolis(Santa Catarina capital)

Lejeboca

First of all, the south is composed by 3 states, Parana, Santa Catarina and Rio Grande do Sul.

The three southern states are the ones with the higher smokers numbers. Only losing to Mato Grosso do Sul(18,6%).
- Parana. 18,1%
- Santa Catarina. 16%
- Rio Grande do Sul. 14,2%

- Of all the capital cities(from all the country), the southern ones occupy the 1st, 3rd and 6th position.
- 16% of Porto Alegre(Rio Grande do Sul capital)
- 13% of Curitiba(Parana capital)
- 12% of Florianopolis(Santa Catarina capital)

Thanks, @Shadow !

TreasureVibe

I'd like to see more studies on Yerba Mate.

Potential aromatase inhibitor:
Yerba mate contains a potent aromatase inhibitor.

Loaded with manganese, though it varies a lot:
Trace elements in different brands of yerba mate tea. - PubMed - NCBI

Plus it doesn't seem to irritate the digestive system the way that coffee/tea can, and it contains a fair amount of caffeine, but without the jitters that coffee can cause (according to many people, anyway). Coffee's awesome, but options are nice, and I've learned that overdoing the coffee gives me a bit of acid reflux. :-(

From the following topic: https://raypeatforum.com/community/threads/green-tea-again.15664/

Sure seems interesting to see that it contains a potent aromatase inhibitor. I wonder if it can be extracted.

TreasureVibe

Also found this:

Anti-cancer effect of ursolic acid activates apoptosis through ROCK/PTEN mediated mitochondrial translocation of cofilin-1 in prostate cancer
Anti-cancer effect of ursolic acid activates apoptosis through ROCK/PTEN mediated mitochondrial translocation of cofilin-1 in prostate cancer
Abstract

Ursolic acid is a type of pentacyclic triterpene compound with multiple pharmacological activities including cancer resistance, protection from liver injury, antisepsis, anti-inflammation and antiviral activity. The present study aimed to investigate the anticancer effect of ursolic acid. Ursolic acid activates cell apoptosis and its pro-apoptotic mechanism remains to be fully elucidated. Cell Counting kit-8 assays, flow cytometric analysis and analysis of caspase-3 and caspase-9 activity were used to estimate the anticancer effect of ursolic acid on DU145 prostate cancer cells. The protein expression of cytochrome c, rho-associated protein kinase (ROCK), phosphatase and tensin homolog (PTEN) and cofilin-1 were examined using western blot analysis. In the present study, ursolic acid significantly suppressed cell growth and induced apoptosis, as well as increasing caspase-3 and caspase-9 activities of DU145 cells. Furthermore, cytoplasmic and mitochondrial cytochrome c protein expression was significantly activated and suppressed, respectively, by ursolic acid. Ursolic acid significantly suppressed the ROCK/PTEN signaling pathway and inhibited cofilin-1 protein expression in DU145 cells. The results of the present study indicate that the anticancer effect of ursolic acid activates cell apoptosis through ROCK/PTEN mediated mitochondrial translocation of cofilin-1 in prostate cancer.

Runenight201

I just drank a commercialized organic product of Yerba mate with lemon juice, ginger, and cane sugar...and I feel very good. Optimistic, confident, energetic. No doubt caffeine and sugar are potent combos, the problem with coffee is that mixing sugar with it requires milk, which can cause problems if overdone. I like this Yerba mate stuff, will continue consuming it and probably look into buying the herb myself and home brewing it. Would be down to smoke it as well. Could be a nice blend with some tobaccy :)

Lejeboca

It has sodium flouride, which coffee doesn't have.
Can please provide citations (labels) for your claim?

The most detailed description of the nutritional composition that I have found on the net for mate
Nutrition facts and chemical composition of yerba mate: caffeine, antioxidants, minerals and other
does not show F .

Besides the taste and ritual, I appreciate mate for being a good source of magnesium and for 'conditioning' me tolerate caffeine well. (Can drink coffee without milk and any time.)

Lejeboca

I just drank a commercialized organic product of Yerba mate with lemon juice, ginger, and cane sugar...and I feel very good. Optimistic, confident, energetic. No doubt caffeine and sugar are potent combos, the problem with coffee is that mixing sugar with it requires milk, which can cause problems if overdone. I like this Yerba mate stuff, will continue consuming it and probably look into buying the herb myself and home brewing it. Would be down to smoke it as well. Could be a nice blend with some tobaccy :)

I feel similar after drinking mate :):. If you'd like a good source of yerba mate leaf in the US, PM me. (I don't have any stake in or affiliation with that supplier.)

I stopped drinking yerba mate after becoming concerned it may contain parasites. Take any used wet yerba mate leaves and let them sit out for a day and you will find hundreds of flies.

southcesar

do you think drinking mate tea (with sugar) throughout the day is ok or could it end up raising stress hormones?

Encai

I stopped drinking yerba mate after becoming concerned it may contain parasites. Take any used wet yerba mate leaves and let them sit out for a day and you will find hundreds of flies.
Let wet coffee sit for a few days and there’s gonna be fungus too. Don’t see this as a legit argument

Michael Mohn

I hear that yerba mate has a good amount of caffeine that doesn't give jitters to most people (acts like a adaptogen). It has Vitamins A, B complex, C and E. minerals like Zinc magnesium calcium potassium manganese selenium (Iron also unfortunately) ect...more antioxidants than green tea and coffee..
I would think it would be good to prevent bone mineral loss...if u take it with sugar I don't see how it couldn't be healthy.

let me know what u guys think?

Contains high levels of oxalic acids. Taste like cra. . Personally I can only handle well caffeine hcl. All natural formes of caffeine give me jitters like coffee, mate, guarana, cola nut, only with black tea it's less pronounced. I think naturally caffeine is bound to some fibre and I suspect these fibre give me a hard time. I'm very fibrephobic.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals