Advice For Getting Off Thyroid Hormone

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I didn't go to a doctor for my last prolactin test. I just ordered it online from mdlabs and it cost $47.49.
In line with tara's post about CO2 and pH I was thinking diamox might possibly be worth researching as it acidifies the intracellular environment. I'm not trying to sound like a pill pusher but sometimes desperate times call for desperate measures. :D

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
update: I was on around 3.25 grains when decided to come off thyroid hormone. I am now on 1/2 a grain and going to hold here for a bit and decide what to do next regarding dose, and coming off of it.

The dermatitis on my face, pretty much gone. The dermatitis on my head, healing at such a rapid rate I could probably open my own ski resort right now and furnish the snow. :lol: Bottom line, its abating at an incredible rate! :woo

Red scrotum syndrome looks to be going away too.

Teeth and gums, not so much. :( I want to try and high dose vitamin D soon as I can get around to getting some. I am hoping and praying that the vitamin D is the missing link. It really sucks when I take vitamin K and my teeth get much worse, and quickly. So maybe the D will fix that. I really need to fix my teeth. haidut said it fixed it for him. Someone just said recently teeth issues are very stressful and I wholeheartedly agree. So vitamin D and maybe calcium might be the missing link?

I slept all night last night. :woo

Charlie said:
update: I was on around 3.25 grains when decided to come off thyroid hormone. I am now on 1/2 a grain, and I have switched over to the T.man brand. Btw the t.man brand is quite interesting, its very very sweet tasting, almost like candy. And very yummy. Going to hold here for a bit and decide what to do next regarding dose, and coming off of it.
If 1 grain of your NDT has 40 mcg t4/10mcg t3, then I think the math for Peat's dosing works out to be:
1 grain once a day (in the morning), and a nibble of a pill, which is 1/4 of the pill (or less), every few hours.

But the effect is individual and depends on your own liver function. With hypothyroid liver malfunction the liver can't or won't convert the t4 to t3, and can't make the cholesterol needed to use t3. I think Peat tries to make this as clear as he can, but it's a tricky point that can still be overlooked.

So... do you think you have hypothyroid liver malfunction? If so, a range of "uncouplers" has been shown to improve liver function, in small, frequent doses.
There's a thread about this here:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5037

Charlie said:
I really need to fix my teeth.
Teeth and bones are a like a bank that stores your minerals and CO2. When your cells are in redox balance, you're making deposits in this bank. But if your teeth are failing it seems you may be making withdrawals.

I think Peat tries to be clear that there's no one magic pill we can all take to fix this, that each of us is different. But there is a range of "redox balancers" that we can take in small, frequent doses, depending on our individual needs. I've tried to suggest some doses that work for me in the uncouplers thread, which I've derived from studies I've seen.

But I think there's a lot of variability, especially for fructose/honey and caffeine. In theory, it seems that how quickly you can metabolize fructose/honey and caffeine is an indication of how good your whole body metabolic rate is. The more you can use, the better your CO2 blood level is, which is a fair measure of your metabolic rate (at rest).

An easy feedback mechanism is to sip on very strong coffee (4x strength) mixed with milk (not on an empty stomach), while having fructose/honey. At the point where you feel any discomfort, you know you've reached your own metabolic limit. As you improve your redox balance, you'll find that this metabolic limit goes up.

Peat sips about six cups of this 4x strength coffee throughout a day (mixed with milk, while having 200 grams of fruit sugar).

Blossom

Forum Supporter
That's great news Charlie! Thanks for the update.

kitback

Following this thread with interest. I have been Peating for 3 out of the past 4 years. (Took a year off after gaining 30 pounds the first year. Lost the 30 pounds but "gained" lots of other problems with loss of muscle mass, joint and muscle problems, weakness, etc. and have been Peating for the past 2 years.)

My teeth did GREAT since starting with Peat in November of 2010. They straightened out and they appeared stronger and healthier. For reasons I can NOT explain, my teeth seemed to fall apart this year, year #4. They are so yellow, they practically glow in the dark. All the enamel wore off at the gum line of my top front teeth so I look like "meth mouth". I increased my Vit A and K2 and the brown, wet dentin gets covered by a thin layer of enamel but when I brush it gets brushed away. So I have stopped brushing my teeth and just rinse. My gums often burn and feel inflamed.

It seems like I am hearing about LOTS of dental erosion problems this year from people. I don't recall hearing about that in previous years except here and there. One theory I came up with is that after a few years, maybe we have finally gotten rid of a lot of PUFAS from our tissues and our metabolism has increased and somehow we are not keeping up with the increased nutritional demands? I say this because about the time the dental problems started, I also started slowly losing weight for the first time since I started Peating, although I didn't change my diet. I have lost 10 pounds in the past 6 months, which is good since I am overweight. But all these teeth problems are NOT good! I, too, am freaking out about the situation!

tara

Welcome kitback :welcome

Sounds like you started with this long before most of us.
Increased nutritional demand from increased metabolism sounds plausible for the tooth condition.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
kitback, Sorry you had to join on this note. :(

I am having the same exact thing happen to me. That dentin, or plaque, or whatever it is makes my teeth feel so gross. And like you said, it will brush right off. I speculated, it was the minerals leaving the tooth. And the gum line of my teeth are doing the same thing, so much so that I have a pretty big hole in one tooth at the gum line already, and looks like another one will start a hole soon. :banghead

So I tried to come off thyroid, and my digestion got worse and worse, the last few days I feel like it almost completely stopped, also brain fog and feeling pretty dumb. Then I had what I think is gallbladder attack(anyone know how to mitigate that? I upped my cascara). Also my heart burn has gotten almost unbearable. My estrogen symptoms are still pretty high too, bleeding and inflamed gums, waking at night, etc etc. Soooo, here I go back on thyroid. :(

I have been doing vitamin D for a couple weeks now, I am not sure its been helping(not making it worse which is a bonus) and I am about to run out. Vitamin K just made it much worse.

This really sucks. :(

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
So I go and check out gallbladder disease and symptoms and the burping, indigestion, and heartburn are on the list and I have them all. When I was able to keep my metabolism high enough, all this would go away, and when I slipped down in metabolism it would come back.

Ugggggh.

Jennifer

Charlie, have you tried taking apple cider vinegar with your meals? It's affective at getting rid of my gallbladder pains. I had my cousin try it too because her attacks got so bad, she was scheduled for surgery. The ACV worked for her. I think SaltGirl also uses ACV for her gallbladder.

It may also help speed up your digestion. During my RBTI stint, I used it mixed with honey in equal parts and it worked well at lowering my pH which got things moving.

lindsay

Charlie said:
So I go and check out gallbladder disease and symptoms and the burping, indigestion, and heartburn are on the list and I have them all. When I was able to keep my metabolism high enough, all this would go away, and when I slipped down in metabolism it would come back.

Ugggggh.

I had gallbladder disease years ago (and now my gallbladder is bye bye). I think the biggest thing I noticed about reactions from the gallbladder would be that if I ate something with fat, it would feel like somebody was stabbing me in my upper right side. I remember one particularly bad episode after eating hummus smothered in fresh olive oil from this Jewish restaurant - that was a sad sad day because their hummus was so tasty, I just couldn't help myself.

Anyhow, getting it removed hardly solved any of my digestive woes, but you can get a test done at the doctor's office if you have good health insurance (although it might have been a cat scan - not sure; or an MRI). If you really want to know, that is. Otherwise, I would say utilizing things which minimize serotonin (and thus estrogen) should help.....

lindsay

Additionally, other things that might help with indigestion, in addition to what Jennifer mentioned - you could try papaya enzyme. One of my friends just had a baby recently and she had the worst issues with digestion during her pregnancy - she mentioned the papaya enzymes really helped with the horrible indigestion she would have.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Jennifer, thank you! I will start incorporating the ACV now and see if that helps. The honey will be a nice touch to it.

Lindsay, Thank you for the papaya enzyme suggestion, I will check into it. Really need all the help I can get with my digestion. One thing I thought today, my gums have never been this bad that I can remember. So estrogen must be at it highest I assume, I am wondering if the gallbladder is pushing up the estrogen somehow. Again, assuming this is gallbladder stuff happening to me. I also wondered if that was why your estrogen dipped down after your surgery, now that the gallbladder was removed. Anyways, that was just some thought that ran through my head today.

I have an ultrasound scheduled for tomorrow. A couple years ago, I was about one year into Peating...they did an ultrasound on my liver and also checked my gallbladder. At the time, they referred me to a surgeon for my gallbladder, I never went because I was having zero issues and wasn't about to get cut on. I am not even sure what the diagnosis was, but will look into that.

Jennifer

You're welcome, Charlie! :)

I had an ultrasound done on my liver/gallbladder area after going to the ER with a burning gut. The on call doctor told me I had stones in my gallbladder, but that everything looked perfect, no inflammation or stones stuck in the bile duct. Even the organs around it looked perfect.

She then proceeded to tell me that she would schedule me to see a surgeon to have my gallbladder removed. I told her I'm keeping my gallbladder. I went home and started taking the ACV and within a week, no more pains.

I really hope it works for you too, Charlie. The universe seriously needs to give you a break already. Apparently my phone conversation with God about helping your teeth meant nothing to him. Geez he's tough to win over! :(

Good Luck tomorrow!

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
lol Funny thing, the nurse started saying to me while she was checking me in, "oh it looks like your gallbladder wants to come out." I told her I will be trying my best to keep it. :lol: It's like clockwork for them, oh, gallbladder pain, get the knife. :roll: Worse comes to worse I ain't entirely stupid and will do what I need to when the time comes. But for her to fall right into that line of thought says it all. She was a sweet lady though and did seem truly concerned.

Jennifer, do you use the Brags ACV with the mother?

I have been terribly sick all my life, I am literally use to it but that does not mean I want to stay this way. Frustrating at times indeed, but I am here to walk it out. If I dont catch any health breaks here, I know I got some waiting for me that I cant even imagine. ;)

Appreciate everyones help here. :hattip

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Jennifer

Yeah, I genuinely believe that most medical professionals do go into the healthcare field to help us. It's just that they were trained in a dysfunctional system. They only know what they know and they don't know what they don't know.

I get the Heinz ACV because it's standardized at 5% acidity. Braggs is raw so as it starts to ferment, I'd think the acidity changes. My RBTI practitioner had me get the Heinz for that reason. I checked out the link. Funny, I was going to ask you if you had tried apple juice also.

I'm sorry to hear you've been sick your whole life, Charlie. My mom has been sick her whole life too. I've taken care of her since I was tater tot so I've seen what she's had to deal with. I really have sympathy for you! I hope things start turning around and the rest of your life is full of health and joy.

Let us know how it goes tomorrow!

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Jennifer, my mom hasn't been in the best of health either. She almost did not make it when she was pregnant with me due to gestational diabetes of the bad kind. She was in the hospital weeks after I was released. My grandmother had to take care of me and I am sure she was ill prepared to handle a sick child. Its no wonder I am so messed up, my mom got hit with untold stress while pregnant with me. :(

Ok so went for ultrasound, no gallstones. :confused Liver looked good but still fatty. I only had some brief episodes last night of being uncomfortable, today I hardly feel anything at all. The last ultrasound I had, the one where they wanted to send me to a surgeon, I distinctly remember the lady said I had gallstones. I am perplexed to say the least, but grateful nonetheless.

I got blood work today and vitamin D was on the list, yay! And also lactic acid, which I did not even ask for so that should be interesting.

Hoping the vitamin D test will tell me something.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I am quite perplexed that I do not have gallstones now, but supposedly did before. I have been drinking quite a bit of apple juice lately. Also wondering where the pain came from.

LucyL, thanks for the link!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals