Another example disproving Ray Peat in several ways

Jessie

What exactly is this disproving? You can find donut eating cops that live to be 90. I don't think this is relevant. Disproving Peat would have more to do with the nature of cells themselves, and the membrane theory.

There is no such thing as the Ray Peat "diet." It doesn't exist, period. No matter how hard people try to construct this weird straw man it can never represent the facts.

Haldand

Cool video. I don’t see anything wrong with her diet. It works for her. I think her longevity is related to her thyroid promoting exercises.

Tom K

Should we be conscious of our diet? Sure. Should we exercise? Sure. Should we avoid smoking, drugs, and alcohol? Sure. We should also avoid Bro-science, from no matter where it may originate. The best advice regarding longevity, response to exercise, etc. is to choose your parents wisely, and for those who cannot choose, let's begin a support group (I'll be the first to join). The bottom line, it is much easier to destroy our health than it is to extend life. Avoid the dissipation acts, engage in the positive acts, but don't believe the hype presented here or anywhere else.

Re the diet component - I'm always curious whether this has been the diet throughout their lives. If it's their diet now, that doesn't mean it's the reason they've ended up in such good shape. It'd be more interesting to examine what she ate through her 20s-60s.

Momma

View: https://youtu.be/UdXQG478g_w

just to mention two: vast amounts of exercise, and her food looks quite anti-peat. she's 91 in the video.

Another? Another, meaning there are more.
If so, why are you here participating on the Ray Peat Forum? Rhetorical.

There is no Ray Peat diet. Definitely a short coming of our forum. Easy to understand how one may think that if only coming to the forum, or listening to podcasts, or even the book writers, or those growing their YouTube channel or business- using those resources that support the vernacular.

joaquin

Instead of disproving Peat, why doesn't someone prove Peat? Lets see some thriving toned 90 year olds that have been drinking copious amounts of OJ and doing no exercise for 30 years?

Peko214

Exercise is the one area where I disagree most with Ray. It’s imperative imo. Especially if you don’t work a labor intensive job.

Perry Staltic

I thought Peat exercised. He said in one interview that his thigh muscles were huge from skiing

OP
Ainaga

Ainaga

Jessie says: “There is no such thing as the Ray Peat "diet." It doesn't exist, period. No matter how hard people try to construct this weird straw man it can never represent the facts.”
I've heard that statement a lot, “there is no such thing, etc.” Here I do not mention the word 'diet'; I use the word 'food'. Two different concepts.
Ray Peat has waged war against PUFA, but what do we see on her plate? Salmon and mackerel. What is else is there? Natto, meaning beans, and more specifically soy, and even more specifically fermented.
BIG breakfast, BIG dinner, small lunch, meaning no pulse eating throughout the day. Lunch being composed of? A (tryptophan) banana, and yakult, a probiotic drink with? Lactic acid. Also on her plate: tsukemono, (lactic acid) fermented vegetables.
So while it might be true there is no “RP diet”, he did specify quite clearly what foods were beneficial and which detrimental.
Everyone (or almost everyone?) agrees that RP is against most forms of exercise, and especially against exercising on an empty stomach. Watch this lady then go on a run in the early morning drinking only water.
Coffee? No mention of it. Tea? Moot. All other forms of medication bearing on “the nature of cells themselves”? No mention.

OP
Ainaga

Ainaga

Should we be conscious of our diet? Sure. Should we exercise? Sure. Should we avoid smoking, drugs, and alcohol? Sure. We should also avoid Bro-science, from no matter where it may originate. The best advice regarding longevity, response to exercise, etc. is to choose your parents wisely, and for those who cannot choose, let's begin a support group (I'll be the first to join). The bottom line, it is much easier to destroy our health than it is to extend life. Avoid the dissipation acts, engage in the positive acts, but don't believe the hype presented here or anywhere else.
But being conscious of your diet can mean being conscious of your diet when your diet is not a diet that promotes health, while you are under the illusion that it does. Not YOU, per se, don't take it personally. You are of the opinion that longevity and health are first genetic? Except that there are innumerable examples to the contrary, of which I am sure you are well aware. Is longevity genetic? Then is health genetic? Then how about the very peaty epigenetic argument?

Limon9

Long-lived person eats diet consisting of mostly carbohydrate, low-moderate protein and some fat

But... mackerel!!! Ray Peat CANNOT Recover.

OP
Ainaga

Ainaga

Re the diet component - I'm always curious whether this has been the diet throughout their lives. If it's their diet now, that doesn't mean it's the reason they've ended up in such good shape. It'd be more interesting to examine what she ate through her 20s-60s.
In this case, I would think that this has been her diet all along, since it looks like a very typical traditional Japanese diet. However, this is an assumption, nowhere is this mentioned in the video, except that she started exercising at 65 in order to lose weight that her husband was disapproving of.

OP
Ainaga

Ainaga

Another? Another, meaning there are more.
If so, why are you here participating on the Ray Peat Forum? Rhetorical.

There is no Ray Peat diet. Definitely a short coming of our forum. Easy to understand how one may think that if only coming to the forum, or listening to podcasts, or even the book writers, or those growing their YouTube channel or business- using those resources that support the vernacular.
Could you speak more clearly please? I don't reckon anyone here understood what you said. In any case, I am here for the same reason many people are, perhaps the same reason you are here. I am interested in health topics and like to see different points of view. Also, I am interested in the way that science works. It's curious, to say the least, that what appears to be true -even to one!- then turns out not to be. Plus, if we are interested in RP, isn't always interesting to see counterexamples. Wouldn't you like to hear RP dissect her case and explain what's going on with this lady who goes for a run before eating breakfast, and is doing push ups at 3pm, and vlogging all day while doing exercise and teaching dozens of people?

OP
Ainaga

Ainaga

Instead of disproving Peat, why doesn't someone prove Peat? Lets see some thriving toned 90 year olds that have been drinking copious amounts of OJ and doing no exercise for 30 years?
that would be something.

Inaut

What people don't want to accept is that some people will live long on bad diets and with bad habits, simply because of their predetermined make up or fate. Not even looking at it from a genetics point, more a spiritual/destiny thing.

Example, one of my good friend's father is 88 now. He's been an bad alcoholic since he was 14. He was raised in an orphanage, lived through a war and worked in coal mines until moving to Canada in his early 40s. He also doesn't eat much food and has always smoked cigars ever since I knew him. The dude has a full head of hair and looks extremely healthy for his age. He's also still mobile and with it cognitively. A Peat diet and supplements aren't even on the radar. Take what you want and leave the rest. Just understand that some things go beyond logic or science and the sooner we accept that, the sooner people can live their normal life (not the ocd life we all experience here)..

Limon9

What people don't want to accept is that some people will live long on bad diets and with bad habits, simply because of their predetermined make up or fate. Not even looking at it from a genetics point, more a spiritual/destiny thing.

Example, one of my good friend's father is 88 now. He's been an bad alcoholic since he was 14. He was raised in an orphanage, lived through a war and worked in coal mines until moving to Canada in his early 40s. He also doesn't eat much food and has always smoked cigars ever since I knew him. The dude has a full head of hair and looks extremely healthy for his age. He's also still mobile and with it cognitively. A Peat diet and supplements aren't even on the radar. Take what you want and leave the rest. Just understand that some things go beyond logic or science and the sooner we accept that, the sooner people can live their normal life (not the ocd life we all experience here)..
Sounds like he's... calorie-restricted.

DonLore

More inportant than any micro or macro component of a diet, is surely that the diet is natural, real foods. People have thrives on a diet consisting almost entirely on sweet potatoes, or almost entirely on fish. Its the PROCESSED FOOD that is toxic, and supplements with fillers, and pharmaceuticals.

Also, its ridicilous to think excercise is bad, unless you are in extremely stressed and malnourished shape

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals