Any commercial test for fatty acid composition in tissue?

tasfarelel

Hi All,

Does anybody know a commercial & affordable test for fatty acid composition that any layman can order?
I only came across "OmegaQuant" which presumably tests a rather comprehensive array of fatty acids in red blood cell membranes for 99 USD. If it can be trusted.

Did anybody here perform such a test?

Thank you!

GTW

Most tests available measure fatty acids as plasma (blood) phospholipid.

Snicky

Hi All,

Does anybody know a commercial & affordable test for fatty acid composition that any layman can order?
I only came across "OmegaQuant" which presumably tests a rather comprehensive array of fatty acids in red blood cell membranes for 99 USD. If it can be trusted.

Thank you!
Interesting question, to which I’d also love the answer.

OP
tasfarelel

tasfarelel

So it seems that the OmegaQuant test was promoted by Brad Marshall, who is one of their representatives. I like his blog and his theories around fat metabolism, but the OmegaQuant test is likely garbage - if you check on r/SaturatedFat the posted results, it's always the same %, always high omega-6 %, across most individuals and doesn't change no matter the diet an individual followed and tested multiple times.

Any other ideas?

haidut

Forum Supporter
Hi All,

Thank you!

We are working on doing a fatty acid analysis in hair/nails. Don't know much about how exactly this correlated with tissue levels, but at the very least should be a good representation of cumulative, long-term tissue exposure to such fatty acids from serum. It is still in the early stages, so don't know if it will work well but there is literature suggesting it should. If it works, the forum will be the first place to see it announced.
@GTW @Snicky

You should do a biopsy of the adipose tissue, I did it this week but it is muscular and aimed at another type of screening...plasma, serum, hair would not give you the information you are looking for...if you really had to do something I would also consider a liver biopsy...

tastyfood

We are working on doing a fatty acid analysis in hair/nails. Don't know much about how exactly this correlated with tissue levels, but at the very least should be a good representation of cumulative, long-term tissue exposure to such fatty acids from serum. It is still in the early stages, so don't know if it will work well but there is literature suggesting it should. If it works, the forum will be the first place to see it announced.
@GTW @Snicky

Before the fatty acid analysis, are the plans to release testing for serotonin and some others you had mentioned still moving forward?

Thank you!

OP
tasfarelel

tasfarelel

You should do a biopsy of the adipose tissue, I did it this week but it is muscular and aimed at another type of screening...plasma, serum, hair would not give you the information you are looking for...if you really had to do something I would also consider a liver biopsy...
Makes sense. What system did you use to get your muscle biopsy done? I'm sure a fat tissue biopsy from the lower glutes should be easy enough.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals