Any Particularly Lean Peaty's Out There?

D

Derek

EIRE24 said:
post 109762
Derek said:
post 109731
livrepensador said:
post 109724
Do you guys found something negative about lowering the fats?

So a low fat diet brings about stress? What about all the people who are successfully running a low fat diet?
Stress!

However, you will be getting more than enough fat in the diet you outlined.

I was speaking of a super low fat diet, which some people attempt. Are these people who are successfully running a low fat diet doing it short term or long term. Of course you feel good at first. Fruitarians feel great at first consuming no fat, but eventually you will run into problems.

Last edited by a moderator:

paymanz

Derek said:
post 109825 I was speaking of a super low fat diet, which some people attempt. Are these people who are successfully running a low fat diet doing it short term or long term. Of course you feel good at first. Fruitarians feel great at first consuming no fat, but eventually you will run into problems.
we can make fat from carbs but we cannot make glucose from fats , so at least low fat diet is not as bad as low carb.

Ulla

To make myself clear, for ME, my body at the moment, low fat is 40-50g. Instead of eggs I eat cottage cheese, curd, greek yogurt. Eggs are on the menu like twice a week, before every day. I drink 1,5 % milk and eat a lot of cooked apples, white rice, potatoes and oats, these I would like to eliminate.

Before 'low fat' phase I had 60-80 g of fat per day and many carbs. I didn't gain and didn't lost. When I decreased fats a little bit more I started leaning out.
I have 60 kg/ 133 lbs.

I still think fats are essential.

D

Derek

paymanz said:
post 109831
Derek said:
post 109825 I was speaking of a super low fat diet, which some people attempt. Are these people who are successfully running a low fat diet doing it short term or long term. Of course you feel good at first. Fruitarians feel great at first consuming no fat, but eventually you will run into problems.
we can make fat from carbs but we cannot make glucose from fats , so at least low fat diet is not as bad as low carb.

I totally agree. Low fat is nowhere near as bad as low carb. However, the fact we can make fat from carbs, but not carbs from fat; makes me really wonder what our ideal fuel source is. In some way that indicates our body prefers to run on fat.

stokesman

Derek said:
I totally agree. Low fat is nowhere near as bad as low carb. However, the fact we can make fat from carbs, but not carbs from fat; makes me really wonder what our ideal fuel source is. In some way that indicates our body prefers to run on fat.
Technically we can make some carbs from fat though it's quite limited. From what I remember it's only the glycerol part from the end of triglycerides that we can use as a carb source. I wouldn't take our inability to convert the remaining hydrocarbon chains into carbohydrate as any indication of what our bodies prefer to burn.

EIRE24

Derek said:
post 109838
paymanz said:
post 109831
Derek said:

Wouldn't that contradict what peat has said?

frankfranks

Just don't stuff your face and walk or bicycle at a very easy pace for an hour every day. It's that simple.

You can get "not fat" while fairly sedentary by just being careful on calories. But to get noticeably lean like all those tribesmen you have to walk five miles every day like they do. The old-school bodybuilders before arimidex and T3 all walked a lot to get cut.

DrJ

I've achieved a pretty good lean-ness on Peat now after ~18 months. I'm 32yo, 5'10" and 162 lb, about 10-11% body fat. Abs show good definition and my arms and legs have definition between the muscle groups, but not fitness model level. I've been much leaner, but now I feel much better which I value more.

I came to Peat from doing intermittent fasting where I got extremely lean, dropping 10cm off the tape measure at the belly button. Of course, I unknowingly really screwed my metabolism and after stopping intermittent fasting it took about 6 months to get my temp up from around 95F to 97+, and still that was with lots of aspirin. During intermittent fasting, I was extremely veiny all over, which I originally liked, but now I think that was bad. Probably I was very cortisol heavy and catabolic. The first 6 months I felt great - probably the adrenaline - but then after that wore off I started to feel crappy. Actually, worth mentioning, is that about 10 years ago I did triathlons, and I was freezing cold all of the time and often fell asleep in grad school classes pretty much spontaneously. But you could see veins on my stomach. Oops :) I've probably been wrecking my metabolism my whole life until now.

When I started Peat, I gained about 12 lbs to 174lb, but was hitting the ice cream too hard - a pint Haagen-Dazs daily. Now, I eat ice cream only about once per month, and have replaced those calories with 2% milk consumption - a quart per day (my personal experience is that this is a big factor in leaning out, something about high protein+calcium intake). I also eat tons of sugars, about 600-700 calories per day from gelatin-based fruit snacks, about 200 more from orange juice, and another 100 from raw honey. Potatoes still don't sit with me well, but I can consume no-fiber white bread (or pizza crust!) and the no-fiber white "water crackers" without digestive problems. The rest of my calories come from cheeses - cottage, jack, mozzarella, hard cheese like parmesan, or soups/stews that I make from bone broth, some high-quality sausage and bacon, and some cream; somewhat high-fat. I don't eat fruit regularly, just occasional watermelon or cherries. I don't eat veggies. I take 500mg pregnenolone per week. Very un-Peat, but I consume about 12 beers per week of the "American lager" piss-water variety like PBR and Coors Light to support my social life; avoid the high-hopped beers like the plague for their estrogen content. Also, occasionally I eat out if a social situation calls for it, but I try to find something like a cheese quesadilla and take vitamin E after for the PUFA it was probably cooked on.

My body temperature now maintains at least 97.5F but often around 98.5F without aspirin. Just note this took over a year for me, so be patient with the thing and keep monitoring your temp. I have felt cold my whole life, but now I never do, even in the extremities. My girlfriend thinks I'm like some sort of magic walking furnace thing to be abused in winter.

My base "workout" (activity?) routine is 2 miles per day walking the dog. I aim to workout 3 times per week, but in practice it usually ends up being only 2 times. I do 3x sets squats, 3x sets standing press, 2x sets deadlifts, and either 3x sets barbell rows or weighted dips. It takes 35min. I do high weight, low rep; never more than 6 reps in a set.

For me, an important part to looking lean is eliminating bloating factors. For me, this is mostly avoiding fiber. Not sure if everyone has this experience, but it took me a while to realize. Every once in a while a social situation forces me into trying someone's great new organic veggie masterpiece thing, which I make sure is a small amount. But, I notice it the next day where my belly expands, like I have these weird fat abs or something.

Anyways, good luck with leaning out! It's definitely possible on Peat. My experience says that - once your metabolism is up as measured by temp - reducing fat will drop weight, and reducing fiber will drop bloat.

tara

DrJ said:
post 110037 My body temperature now maintains at least 97.5F but often around 98.5F without aspirin. Just note this took over a year for me, so be patient with the thing and keep monitoring your temp. I have felt cold my whole life, but now I never do, even in the extremities. My girlfriend thinks I'm like some sort of magic walking furnace thing to be abused in winter.
Nice.

livrepensador

Great Story DrJ!

I´ve been cutting my fat, but i gave up because i really love eggs at night.
I noted that my hands and feet are warm at night and my mood since peating is really improving. I feeling really energized despite of the stress of the end of the year. I think i might going on the right track.
I have a scale in my room and the funny thing is i MIGHT be leaning out at slow pace. Im not sure, but im happy because i was really afraid of getting fat because of the sugar im eating. So, that´s a win! :lol:
One thing i really enjoy in Peat´s approach, at last for me, is that my appetite is under control. I almost dont have any cravings for nothing.

Now my diet is something like this:

Breakfast: 200 ml of whole milk + 100 ml of coffe + 2 tbs of sugar
Snack: Slice of White cheese + guava jelly + 50 ml of coffe with sugar
Lunch: Some vegetables (not leafy ones) + some meat + 1 can of Coke
Snack: 100 ml of coffe + Slice of white cheese + guava jelly
Dinner: 3 eggs fried in coconut oil + 1can of Coke + some prunes
Before bed: Juice of 1 lemon with salt and sugar
----im not taking any suplements.

What you guys think of my diet?

OBS: I want to keep this thread up, because it will be a really good thing if the Peat approach make us lean cause this diet is really easy to follow.

OBS: White cheese -->
queijo-branco-dieta-pro-pontos-18912.jpg

artist

I lost weight so far and I'm like a year in, a mixture of water weight and fat, and gained some muscle without exercise, went from probably 152 to 138 as a 5'8" female, waist hip ratio is like .68. Ate primarily the typical things, low fat milk, Greek yogurt, juice, sugar, fruit, carrot salad, etc with various random meals according to craving, but devoutly avoided PUFA and ate almost no starch, generally ate quite low fat. Biggest amendment I would recommend and am enacting is more magnesium and sodium. The longer i continue eating this way the more I seem to tend towards losing weight rather than gaining. I started taking thyroid about halfway in but the weightloss started early.

EIRE24

artist said:
post 110344 I lost weight so far and I'm like a year in, a mixture of water weight and fat, and gained some muscle without exercise, went from probably 152 to 138 as a 5'8" female, waist hip ratio is like .68. Ate primarily the typical things, low fat milk, Greek yogurt, juice, sugar, fruit, carrot salad, etc with various random meals according to craving, but devoutly avoided PUFA and ate almost no starch, generally ate quite low fat. Biggest amendment I would recommend and am enacting is more magnesium and sodium. The longer i continue eating this way the more I seem to tend towards losing weight rather than gaining. I started taking thyroid about halfway in but the weightloss started early.

What kind of magnesium do you use? Are these the only supplements you take and may I ask why you avoid starch other than it being reccomended by peat? Do you have digestion problems with it?

J

James IV

Losing body fat in the end, really does boil down to calories in vs calories out. However, the tricky part is that the composition of the calories in, can greatly affect the calories out.
The other difficulty is edema. You can drastically change your appearance based upon your levels of water retention. Back in my combative days, competitors could drop 20 scale pounds less than a week manipulating hydration and retention.

So if you're trying to get to a healthy level of lean, and you have a hard time connecting with your natural hunger signals. it may be in your interest to monitor calories. As far as water retention goes, that's going to be up and down based on many factors. However, if youre watching calories, it can give you peace of mind so you don't start making drastic changes because you bloat up one day.

I believe that eating as large a variety of foods as possible, while adhering to Dr. Peats basic priciple of avoiding PUFA (vegetable oils specifically), and eating plenty of easy energy, will help to keep water retention low. I believe there is probably a lot more complexity to nutrition than humans have discovered. Possibly more micro and potentially macro nutrients than we currently recognize. Keeping as large a variety as possible is probably a good way to "cover all your bases" and to keep the digestive system primed to deal with complex
Digestion.
Although it may not fall in line with Peat's view of lowering "stress" as much as possible. I do believe there is something to be said for the idea of hormetic stress, and the "use it or lose it" concept in regards to digestion of certain foods and combinations.

artist

EIRE24 said:
post 110346
artist said:
post 110344 I lost weight so far and I'm like a year in, a mixture of water weight and fat, and gained some muscle without exercise, went from probably 152 to 138 as a 5'8" female, waist hip ratio is like .68. Ate primarily the typical things, low fat milk, Greek yogurt, juice, sugar, fruit, carrot salad, etc with various random meals according to craving, but devoutly avoided PUFA and ate almost no starch, generally ate quite low fat. Biggest amendment I would recommend and am enacting is more magnesium and sodium. The longer i continue eating this way the more I seem to tend towards losing weight rather than gaining. I started taking thyroid about halfway in but the weightloss started early.

What kind of magnesium do you use? Are these the only supplements you take and may I ask why you avoid starch other than it being reccomended by peat? Do you have digestion problems with it?
I use magnesium glycinate, various brands just avoiding titanium dioxide and silica fillers. I take about 800mg a day. When I remember I take B6 with it to improve absorption, but yeah otherwise its pretty much that and thyroid. I should add that I also drank some caffeine daily for most of the year and I do think it makes a difference. Starch does give me issues although more recent experimentation makes me believe it's mainly caused by the blood sugar swing that it induces for me.

milk

livrepensador said:
post 110138 Great Story DrJ!

I´ve been cutting my fat, but i gave up because i really love eggs at night.
I noted that my hands and feet are warm at night and my mood since peating is really improving. I feeling really energized despite of the stress of the end of the year. I think i might going on the right track.
I have a scale in my room and the funny thing is i MIGHT be leaning out at slow pace. Im not sure, but im happy because i was really afraid of getting fat because of the sugar im eating. So, that´s a win! :lol:
One thing i really enjoy in Peat´s approach, at last for me, is that my appetite is under control. I almost dont have any cravings for nothing.

Now my diet is something like this:

Breakfast: 200 ml of whole milk + 100 ml of coffe + 2 tbs of sugar
Snack: Slice of White cheese + guava jelly + 50 ml of coffe with sugar
Lunch: Some vegetables (not leafy ones) + some meat + 1 can of Coke
Snack: 100 ml of coffe + Slice of white cheese + guava jelly
Dinner: 3 eggs fried in coconut oil + 1can of Coke + some prunes
Before bed: Juice of 1 lemon with salt and sugar
----im not taking any suplements.

What you guys think of my diet?

OBS: I want to keep this thread up, because it will be a really good thing if the Peat approach make us lean cause this diet is really easy to follow.

OBS: White cheese -->
queijo-branco-dieta-pro-pontos-18912.jpg

I think goiabada and queijo minas are peaty. But you have to watch for added gums, enzymes etc. if you want to be really rigorous about it (I'm not).

Catupiry seems particularly peaty as the only added ingredient is sodium bicarbonate.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals