Any Particularly Lean Peaty's Out There?

Curt :-)

Hi all :):

Since it seems that the majority of people who go on a Peat type diet gain weight, is there anyone on the forum who has gotten in great shape since converting to this way of eating? Or, is there any gym junkies on the forum who have maintained their physique since going Peaty? If so, I'd love to hear from you. I'm 3 months into Peat and feeling better, but I'm gaining body fat for the first time in my life. Not cool.

Cheers, Curt

jaguar43

Curt :-) said:
Hi all :):

Since it seems that the majority of people who go on a Peat type diet gain weight, is there anyone on the forum who has gotten in great shape since converting to this way of eating? Or, is there any gym junkies on the forum who have maintained their physique since going Peaty? If so, I'd love to hear from you. I'm 3 months into Peat and feeling better, but I'm gaining body fat for the first time in my life. Not cool.

Cheers, Curt

I've lost 20 pounds on Dr Peat Recommendations, And I used to work out all the time never seeing results (weight-lifting). But I am not going to recommend what I did to you because I don't know nothing about you. But even if I knew you I wouldn't tell you what I did because Its about context. People come from different backgrounds, they have a variety of imprinting and environments.

I know this is not what you wanted to hear, but I would recommend reading his articles again.

superhuman

its all about your background, calories, food you eat and how your macros add up.

Food/lyfestyle is number 1 in terms of wich food and calories

Nr2 is exersice or weight lifting is superb to anything else

nr3 supplements if you need :)

I have lost weight on peat but i had to restrict calories as well. So many people just think peat is all about ice cream, 1 gallon full fat milk, etc etc etc. Peat has clearly states what he think people that wants to loose weight should do

J

j.

I lost 37 pounds. Starting losing 3 months after avoiding all PUFAs and each month I lost about 2 pounds.

jyb

Remained as lean as before despite significantly reducing exercise (I exercise maybe once per month) and eating significantly more (at the beginning loads of full fat milk and tubs of ice cream every day). In fact, I gained muscles on my upper body. I never count calories, but with more experience now, I prefer loading up on things like quality OJ rather than full fat ice cream for energy - hence getting more nutrients and a better sugar to fat ratio. Also, I've been quite strict about starch and pufa's, avoiding them almost completely.

Mittir

Lost 14 lbs without counting calories, i eat a lot of foods.
After 1 yr of strict peating i have gained a lot of lean muscle
without any kind of exercise.

max219

I was a former long distance runner and then got into weightlifting. After an initial small fat gain (mostly from following Matt Stone's advice), I leaned out and maintained my muscle while eating Peat. I think, at least for me, was keeping total fat calories low. I eat between 3,000-3,500 cals (sometimes more on heavy lifting and active days), and stayed around 145-150 pounds at 5'5. I usually don't eat more than 50 grams of fat, most of the time hovering around 50 grams. I'm guessing my body fat is around 15% maybe less.

Maybe less starch works for others, or just overalll less calories. But once I swapped whole milk and ice cream to 1%cottage cheese and 1% milk, I felt the fat gain stop. (And I added maple syrup, gelatin, and salt to the milk/cheese, mmmmmm)

Due to an injury I can't lift heavy for a while, so I have been eliminating starch from my diet, and lowering cals to 3kish. I'm curious to see if this changes anything. I mostly eat sugar, protein, some fat (90% saturated), and less than 5 grams PUFA daily.

caroline

I was lean to begin with. However, in the past, whenever I ate carbs at all, I would notice an instant increase in "pudge". Not so with Peat. I do not count calories, eat ice cream, and started eating oats at night as my starch source. However, if I wanted to lose weight, the first thing I would cut would be that starch. And while oats have not posed a problem, I may skip this at night, and see if I fare better without it.

I expected from reading about so many people who put on weight, that I might when doing this, but it hasn't happened.

I don't have enough long-term experience yet to say with certainty what works best. I am not on board with eating tons of fruit--just OJ. If someone were to eat starch, and the starch tended to put weight on them, then maybe they would need to restrict fat. To me, it is obvious when the food gives me trouble, bc when I wake up the next morning, I look like I have packed on some pounds. This happens without fail when I eat things that don't work for me.

caroline

Oh, I am not implying that I find it helpful to restrict fat. I don't. The more fat, the better, for me. I meant that if someone was eating starch and found it to be problematic, maybe they might balance that by restricting fat, but I have no idea about whether that would be effective or satisfying. I don't feel as good without enough fat.

Dutchie

@Caroline what do you eat then if youre not behind eating fruit? Is that btw because you dont like it or for another reason?
Interesting what you mention about waking and looking like youve gained....do you mean like this little pouch on belly and/or a bloated face? I sometimes have that,its likely to be water....but im not sure whats the cause...overburdened toxic liver,blood sugar imbalances?

caroline

Hi Dutchie,

I was thinking about my comments re: fruit after I wrote it and how if we lived somewhere, where the oranges were actually nice, it would be much more appealing. Like in Hawaii, even if you don't like fruit, the fruit is beautiful. Here in the Bay Area, even after I don't care as much about organics, looking at any and all fruit has left me dissatisfied. I don't think all the pulpy stuff makes me feel all that great. The orange juice does do something potent for me. Even the low-end stuff at Trader Joe-s--when I have been feeling bad and I drank it, it was as though I came back to life. But fruit so far, when oranges are basically the only acceptable option, has not been great. The mini tangerines, etc. have been the best. Every orange I have gotten is not ripe, now that I know what that is. Not one. No matter where I got it--Whole Paycheck, Safeway, Trader Joe's, the local markets. So I don't see the point in eating it. Also, I don't find my energy to rally benefit from it, whereas sugar just feels "easier" going down.

As for the bloat thing, for example, after I ate potatoes, the next morning I woke up and my stomach looked sort of puffy. Same with when I first tried the eggs, only worse. It looked like I packed on like 5 pounds in the stomach. So that is how I can tell when something doesn't agree with me b/c without the negative foods (negative in that they don't work for me), I wake up with the abdominal area looking muscular and more important, feeling, clear.

If apples were recommended like oranges, this would be a MUCH easier task. There are tons of great apples around here. That is interesting that you have experienced that "bloat" from things that don't work for you. I believe I have very minimal amount of it from eggs, but it is pretty minor. Before, when I was consuming lots of eggs, it looked like I packed on like 10 pounds in no time. They are still challenging for me, but I am not obsessed with thinness, and consider overall health more important, so I don't care b/c I am not experiencing joint pain.

OP
C

Curt :-)

Thanks for the responses :): I think I'm just eating too much. I have very little appetite, yet I eat all day lol.

M

marikay

I have never been fat. But as I was heading fast into menopause I started gaining in the usual places. I found Peat and started losing all the weight I had gained. But then something happened and the cynomel I was using stopped working. I gained weight with a vengance around my middle. Adding some T4 to the mix has helped but I have only been able to battle my way back halfway. Still thinking I am missing something here. But what I do not know. Nonetheless, I can't say I am not one bit sorry for starting the Peat diet. What doesn't get mentioned here too often is how wonderful your skin starts looking while doing Peat. I look 15 years younger in the face than other persons my age. And then there is the extra brain power (probably from the pregnenolone). I am astounded at how far my mental skills have advanced after starting this program (foriegn languages, math ability, etc...).

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
marikay said:
I have never been fat. But as I was heading fast into menopause I started gaining in the usual places. I found Peat and started losing all the weight I had gained. But then something happened and the cynomel I was using stopped working. I gained weight with a vengance around my middle. Adding some T4 to the mix has helped but I have only been able to battle my way back halfway. Still thinking I am missing something here. But what I do not know. Nonetheless, I can't say I am not one bit sorry for starting the Peat diet. What doesn't get mentioned here too often is how wonderful your skin starts looking while doing Peat. I look 15 years younger in the face than other persons my age. And then there is the extra brain power (probably from the pregnenolone). I am astounded at how far my mental skills have advanced after starting this program (foriegn languages, math ability, etc...).
Some of us are noticing estrogen type symptoms when taking thyroid supplements. I put on weight around the middle when started supplementing. There seems to be studies where it shows estrogen rises when starting a thyroid supplement. Maybe the progesterone is not rising enough at the same time to oppose the estrogen, I dunno.

Mittir

Charlie said:
Some of us are noticing estrogen type symptoms when taking thyroid supplements. I put on weight around the middle when started supplementing. There seems to be studies where it shows estrogen rises when starting a thyroid supplement. Maybe the progesterone is not rising enough at the same time to oppose the estrogen, I dunno.

I am quite sure it is the lack of nutrient causing weight gain with thyroid supplement
for some people.The need for nutrients increases a lot with increased metabolism
induced by thyroid supplement.I was always very cautious about matching nutrient with increased metabolism. I used to eat 3-4 oz of liver every week or every other week.
Now i can not go a week without having at least 7-8 oz. Some weeks i eat a pound of liver.
Light therapy improved my energy level a lot but it has increased my Vitamin A requirement
It is a very tricky now. Even all the nutrient content we follow on usda database
are not always reflected in real life food. Nutrient content of food varies widely
depending on many factors. I have seen studies where they found food having
1/10 of a nutrient it is supposed to have.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Mittir said:
Charlie said:

I am quite sure it is the lack of nutrient causing weight gain with thyroid supplement
for some people.The need for nutrients increases a lot with increased metabolism
induced by thyroid supplement.I was always very cautious about matching nutrient with increased metabolism. I used to eat 3-4 oz of liver every week or every other week.
Now i can not go a week without having at least 7-8 oz. Some weeks i eat a pound of liver.
Light therapy improved my energy level a lot but it has increased my Vitamin A requirement
It is a very tricky now. Even all the nutrient content we follow on usda database
are not always reflected in real life food. Nutrient content of food varies widely
depending on many factors. I have seen studies where they found food having
1/10 of a nutrient it is supposed to have.
You could definitely be right about that, Mittir. I try my best to get in all the nutrients but like you said, who knows how much is really in the food. I am finding I need a ton of vitamin A. I am slowly working up and still have not found my limit.

superhuman

Mittir: thats cool, how much vitamin A do you feel you need? and when do you know when your need for more increases? i know to much vitamin A supress thyroid

Mittir

superhuman said:
Mittir: thats cool, how much vitamin A do you feel you need? and when do you know when your need for more increases? i know to much vitamin A supress thyroid

I do not eat eggs, so milk and liver are my main source of vitamin A.
I go by craving now, i do not count how much vitamin A i am getting.
If i eat too much liver i do not feel well the next day.
On average i am eating daily 1oz beef liver, 1 quart milk.
So it is about 5000+ 1000= 6000 IU.
I find craving of liver a very reliable guide.

jyb

Mittir said:
I do not eat eggs, so milk and liver are my main source of vitamin A.

Where do you get biotin from? It seems important not to be deficient in it, yet egg yolk seems like the only good source.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals