Bad/Great Reaction To Progesterone-Vitamin E

inthedark

I've been taking Health Natura's Progesterone product sporadically over the last six months or so, usually in doses of 9-20mg as needed, sometimes everyday sometimes twice a week. I find it tremendously helpful for mood, cognition, and many other elements of overall health. Over the last couple weeks I decided to try a couple large (for me) doses. Twice I took a dose of 25-30 drops -75 to 90mg- and twice I got a crushing migraine the next day that then resolved by the end of the day, after which I felt incredible. I noticed all the great effects I'd had from it in smaller doses, but amplified. I felt terrific and continued feeling those effects days after.

The confusing thing here to me is why I felt so bad first, then amazing. I'd love to do these doses of progesterone as needed but not if I'm debilitated for a full day first. I've emailed Dr. Peat, then Haidut about this and both had questions about the tocopherol content and/or purity of the Vitamin E. I've used Idealabs Mitolipin, which also contains a decent amount of vitamin E, in full doses and I don't remember having such a response. I will be trying the progesterone topically as well as purchasing a Progesterone supp without E to see if I have the same issue.

Would love to hear any speculation on what could be happening and others' experiences or recommendations. I understand it's likely to be a vitamin E issue but is it possible the Progesterone could be the issue?

Thanks!

Sobieski

I've been taking Health Natura's Progesterone product sporadically over the last six months or so, usually in doses of 9-20mg as needed, sometimes everyday sometimes twice a week. I find it tremendously helpful for mood, cognition, and many other elements of overall health. Over the last couple weeks I decided to try a couple large (for me) doses. Twice I took a dose of 25-30 drops -75 to 90mg- and twice I got a crushing migraine the next day that then resolved by the end of the day, after which I felt incredible. I noticed all the great effects I'd had from it in smaller doses, but amplified. I felt terrific and continued feeling those effects days after.

The confusing thing here to me is why I felt so bad first, then amazing. I'd love to do these doses of progesterone as needed but not if I'm debilitated for a full day first. I've emailed Dr. Peat, then Haidut about this and both had questions about the tocopherol content and/or purity of the Vitamin E. I've used Idealabs Mitolipin, which also contains a decent amount of vitamin E, in full doses and I don't remember having such a response. I will be trying the progesterone topically as well as purchasing a Progesterone supp without E to see if I have the same issue.

Would love to hear any speculation on what could be happening and others' experiences or recommendations. I understand it's likely to be a vitamin E issue but is it possible the Progesterone could be the issue?

Thanks!

Have you experienced any kind of anti - androgenic effects of progesterone? Or any other negative reactions other than the migraine?

OP
I

inthedark

Have you experienced any kind of anti - androgenic effects of progesterone? Or any other negative reactions other than the migraine?

I haven't, if anything it's felt pro-androgenic. I started trying it initially for mood/depression, headaches, sleep and some other small things I thought could have to do with estrogen issues and it's fully delivered and helped all of those -except for the occurences mentioned above-.

OP
I

inthedark

I get a bad response as well and I think it’s the vitamin e I’m going to change brand
Yeah I think I'm in the same boat. I'd like to be able to take larger doses on occasion without worrying about getting a migraine.

Sobieski

I haven't, if anything it's felt pro-androgenic. I started trying it initially for mood/depression, headaches, sleep and some other small things I thought could have to do with estrogen issues and it's fully delivered and helped all of those -except for the occurences mentioned above-.

Your experiences resonate with mine. My voice deepens, my libido increases etc.

Sobieski

Progesterone is, I believe, a diuretic so what you may be experiencing is dehydration of some sort. Just a theory.

Sobieski

At what dosages?

Also, what effects does it have on your scalp hair?
Usually 3-6 mg does the trick. In all honesty, I believe it wrecks my scalp hair. I have MPB and progesterone speeds it up, however it seems to be limited to my hairline as opposed to the crown.

Progesterone

Usually 3-6 mg does the trick. In all honesty, I believe it wrecks my scalp hair. I have MPB and progesterone speeds it up, however it seems to be limited to my hairline as opposed to the crown.

Darn... well, that's interesting.

What seems to help your MPB?

I've been on Prog for many months, on/off and I was thinking it was helping, although lately I've been wondering.

sladerunner69

75 mg of progesterone is a lot, and some people can get migraines and headaches from just small changes in their diet/lifestyle.

Progesterone

75 mg of progesterone is a lot, and some people can get migraines and headaches from just small changes in their diet/lifestyle.

Hi there sir. IIRC you were on fin at one point, right?

I believe you had PFS after, how are you doing now? just curious.

Also, how is your hair doing?

Sobieski

Darn... well, that's interesting.

What seems to help your MPB?

I've been on Prog for many months, on/off and I was thinking it was helping, although lately I've been wondering.

Honestly, what seems to help with MPB? Low androgens/high estrogen (imho). I had 2 years of intensifying poor health due to low testosterone (high pufa, high grains, low calcium/phosphorous etc). During this time my MPB pretty much stopped. Since peating my androgens have shot up and my hair on my scalp is disappearing again at a fast rate. The general consensus on this board is that androgens aren't the culprit, but at least in my case I believe they are.

Progesterone

Honestly, what seems to help with MPB? Low androgens/high estrogen (imho). I had 2 years of intensifying poor health due to low testosterone (high pufa, high grains, low calcium/phosphorous etc). During this time my MPB pretty much stopped. Since peating my androgens have shot up and my hair on my scalp is disappearing again at a fast rate. The general consensus on this board is that androgens aren't the culprit, but at least in my case I believe they are.

Interesting...

I don't want to say this too loud, but I have recently stopped eating all meat/dairy except for Fish (for now). Focus on lots of veggies, fruit, carbs from non-wheat sources, i.e brown rice, sweet potatoes, etc). Even snacking on Almonds.

So what you've noticed is, a diet like the one I mentioned above, if anything, should help MPB, at least in your case?

P.S, you ever tried Methylene Blue? if so, what effects on hair did it have, if any?

Sobieski

Interesting...

I don't want to say this too loud, but I have recently stopped eating all meat/dairy except for Fish (for now). Focus on lots of veggies, fruit, carbs from non-wheat sources, i.e brown rice, sweet potatoes, etc). Even snacking on Almonds.

So what you've noticed is, a diet like the one I mentioned above, if anything, should help MPB, at least in your case?

P.S, you ever tried Methylene Blue? if so, what effects on hair did it have, if any?

I haven't tried MB so I can't comment. The only verifiable, documented cases of people totally and completely reversing hair loss (regrowing even long-lost juvenile hairlines) due to MPB are people taking large amounts of estrogen (i.e transsexuals). I think hairloss is genetic/epigenetic. Cortisol and adrenaline I think have a part to play as well.

The fact of the matter is, as a male having too much estrogen and low test in order to save your hairline is going to make you miserable. My hair was intact but I could barely function. I'd rather be bald and masculine and able to live my life.

As to your diet, I can't really say. In theory a healthy, clean diet should slow things down but it's difficult to say. I think the best 'natural' methods, which seem to have some credence as regards to at least slowing hairloss are scalp massages/exercises to encourage blood flow.

sladerunner69

Hi there sir. IIRC you were on fin at one point, right?

I believe you had PFS after, how are you doing now? just curious.

Also, how is your hair doing?

Yes I had a fin crash in 2011 when I was only 18. I felt downright terrible for a couple years, but slowly improved. Peat inspired me with metabolism nutrition and that helped me a lot, although it is not the only way to recover from fin. I am mostly better now, although my libido is not really where it was when I was a teen. I think this is actually because my stress hormones are low. When I drink a bit and get some more estrogen and cortisol my libido actually improves. However my thinking and memory have improved dramatically, and are better than before. I also feel more optimistic and generally happier and more cheerful than when I was a teenager. I think part of that has to do with a trying life experience, and other half is my strong metabolism.

My hair looks good, I get complimented about how thick it is. When I am very strict with my diet I notice my hair getting thicker and stronger. However, I have not been completely strict allt he time and have had plenty of alcohol in the past few years, which is why my hairline is slightly receeding.

I think aspirin, pregnenlone, k2 and eating low pufa and high sugar are the most important things for preventing hairloss. I also drink coffee. If I take too many suppelements though, I begin to feel strange. I get anxious, lack emotion, and get mild neuropathy. So lately Ive been dialing back the supplements and worrying less about my hair. I don't need the hair to feel attractive anyways, since I am fortunate to have more attractive features.

benaoao

You got any bloods done at the time? Issue isn’t with androgens, only DHT. Also SHBG and thyroid

xetawaves

That's because low doses of progesterone are androgenic in most men. Have you ever tried a higher dose?

Waynish

I think this is because many "peatarians" are running their metabolism too fast for them to handle. More support before using t3, caffeine, much simple carbs, or much progesterone. If you got more sunlight and follow the above, then I will bet that your hair will be better than the low T period/high estrogen period!

Sobieski

I think this is because many "peatarians" are running their metabolism too fast for them to handle. More support before using t3, caffeine, much simple carbs, or much progesterone. If you got more sunlight and follow the above, then I will bet that your hair will be better than the low T period/high estrogen period!

I work outdoors 8-10 hours a day, it has no effect on the rate of my baldness.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals