Caffeine-induced depression- Allergy?

Ben

Several years ago, caffeine had a positive effect on me on mood. Maybe it's because I didn't drink coffee with sufficient sugar, and I got shaky and hypoglycemic. But then when I got into RP's stuff 2 years ago, caffeine would induce varying degrees of depression and demotivation, both mental and physical, and at higher doses I was melancholy and even suicidal. In others it makes them energetic mentally and physically. I would try it many times, I thought its negative effect was due to hypoglycemia, and I wanted to boost learning and stuff, so I took high doses like 1200 mg. I had no hypoglycemia, but it produced serious disorientation and depression.

When I first drink coffee after not drinking it in a while, I seem to "breathe through my ears". It could be an indication of something allergy-related.

http://www.doctoryourself.com/caffeine_allergy.html

This source mentions that when caffeine increases adrenalin (which antagonizes histamine's effects, an antidote to allergic reactions) and cortisol (which reduces inflammation), it can cover up an allergic reaction. Maybe I did have an allergic reaction to caffeine years ago, but it got covered up by the hormones increased in hypoglycemia, and those hormones felt pleasant to me.

http://scienceindex.com/stories/2698299 ... emory.html

This source states extraverts have better working memory from caffeine, and in introverts it causes impairment. I think this is because caffeine increases arousal, and working memory is best when arousal is about right. Extraverts are less aroused than introverts at the level of the cortex, where working memory is initiated. Maybe I am too aroused. I notice that caffeine brings a new dimension of negative perception into everything. Something that was okay to deal with suddenly becomes overwhelming in its negative polarity and "hits" me emotionally.

I had great reactions to thyroid, T3 in particular. Everything improved, from my social anxiety to concentration. However, my thyroid function is good now, but caffeine still has the same effect on me. It makes me feel uncomfortably aroused, even without hypoglycemia. I drank some coffee with milk and sugar. I feel a veil of negativity, and circumstances which were ordinary now overwhelm me. I'm suddenly not stronger in my temperament, but weaker.

It could also be that since my stress hormones are probably excessive anyway, caffeine might make them worse. But it doesn't explain why I had a good reaction to it years ago when I was even hypoglycemic from it. Allergy would be the best explanation for it, but overarousal explains the psychological effects better. Maybe it's a combination.

I would of considered caffeine if my response to it got better from thyroid. But it didn't. And it makes me feel worse than any bad circumstances I encounter in my everyday life. I guess I don't have the benefit of taking caffeine.

If you are slightly hyperthyroid, does taking caffeine or some other metabolic stimulator still have benefits? RP said it can replace thyroid. What are some metabolic stimulators I can take instead? Tianeptine is working well, but is more of an anti-depressant than a metabolic stimulator. Still, I notice on the days I don't take it I have fatigue.

Anyone else have a bad reaction to caffeine, or an unusual one?

natedawggh

Are you still on thyroid? I read in one of Dr Peats articles that thyroid can make the adrenaline response stronger (or more sensitive to adrenaline?). Maybe if you're on thyroid the addition of caffeine makes it easier for adrenaline to spike? Not to sure on this one... But what are your other vitals when you take it? Pulse increase? Temp increase? Shaky/not shaky? Breathing? Big giveaway that you haven't had enough sugar with your coffee are the shakes. I don't like sweetened coffee so I eat or drink something sweet before taking my coffee, and plenty of it.

aquaman

100%, Caffeine (well, coffee) does bad things for me.

Drops my body temps, increases heart rate, cold extremities, don't sleep, get runny nose. It doesn't matter if I drink it after food, with 10grams of sugar and some OJ.. same effect. It tastes amazing though!

Everyone seems to think it's an essential part of a Peat protocol, I don't think so. I think people just like the excuse to drink 5 cups of coffee a day and feel good about it ;)

OP
B

Ben

I had a negative response to caffeine when hypothyroid as well.
I have had no hypoglycemia from it, or cold extremities as far as I know. Actually no shakiness whatsoever.
Veins on extremities shrink, but only if I have hypoglycemia from it. Maybe that can cause cold extremities.
It makes me feel uncomfotably aroused.
It makes me feel physically and mentally weak, demotivated.
It increases my heart rate noticeably, moreso than thyroid I think.
I had enough sugar and protein with it.
When I first started drinking coffee after a period of none, I seemed to "breathe through my ears" for a few days.
I would like to know whether my negative reaction from caffeine is from overarousal or an allergy.
It sounds like aquaman's reaction is hypoglycemic, unlike mine.

Does caffeine have a positive effect on any introverts that are reading this, or does it effect anyone else negatively.

jyb

aquaman said:
Everyone seems to think it's an essential part of a Peat protocol, I don't think so. I think people just like the excuse to drink 5 cups of coffee a day and feel good about it ;)

RP has written articles about caffeine and thyroid, mentioned the good nutritional content, and this forum has a few threads showing that there might be interesting benefits to get a certain dose of caffeine every few hours. So yes, it's perfectly rational to get 5 or 10 cups of coffee a day, unless you don't do well on it of course.

mariange

I love coffee, especially with milk and sugar, and I love the way it makes me feel. For me it's a warm happiness that makes me excited about getting out of bed in the morning. But...I do sometimes feel like I then crash a bit mid-morning. Now that I'm paying attention to more small symptoms, I'm also noticing how wrinkly my fingertips get after meals but especially after coffee.

Maybe it's true as (natedawggh mentioned) that as the thyroid is corrected, the adrenaline response is also "reconnected."

Rube

I see this thread is quite old but your OP really rings true for me.

I certainly need coffee first thing in the morning to even make me feel half human. I don't get the jitters because I'm sure to get some food in first and I start off feeling great but it's like my wheels are spinning and the handbrake's on; concentration is rubbish and my thinking is manic.
By around late morning I feel as if the coffee has lifted me up before throwing me down into a very negative and demotivated state-quite depressed.

In my case I'm not sure how much of it is hypoglycaemia. Just wanted to say I can relate to your experience.

There's a lot of helpful information and food for thought in this thread, I'll go back and see what I can learn.

Thank you.

4peatssake

Rube said:
I see this thread is quite old but your OP really rings true for me.

I certainly need coffee first thing in the morning to even make me feel half human. I don't get the jitters because I'm sure to get some food in first and I start off feeling great but it's like my wheels are spinning and the handbrake's on; concentration is rubbish and my thinking is manic.
By around late morning I feel as if the coffee has lifted me up before throwing me down into a very negative and demotivated state-quite depressed.

In my case I'm not sure how much of it is hypoglycaemia. Just wanted to say I can relate to your experience.

There's a lot of helpful information and food for thought in this thread, I'll go back and see what I can learn.

Thank you.
Forum member haidut has written about this issue.

Here's one of the threads you may find helpful.

Surrogates for thyroid hormone

Blinkyrocket

Idk about anything else but to check breathing I would put my hand under my nose and feel how strong the exhale is, when I feel good it feels like a gental breeze (maybe even less than that, sometimes it's barely noticeable), when I'm stressed it feels like a small gale. You can't tell the volume of your breath by stomach/chest movement alone cuz I've found that because the chest is a strong muscle, I could be barely moving and still taking in a lot of air in terms of volume.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals