Christian FAQ, speedrun edition

The most common challenges I've heard towards Christianity over the last 3 years -

1) Challenge: 'I go by science, the big bang theory is how we started from an infinite singularity of nothing.'

Answer: the big bang theory doesn't pass Newton's first law of motion.

2) Challenge: 'How do you know your god is God?'

Answer: The entire world agrees that we live in the year 2023, after (His) death (A.D.). Secondly, every first-world language calls upon the name of Christ when under stress and none other. They're not stubbing their toe and crying out the name of Zeus or Buddha, because it would be foolish to call out the name of a god that doesn't exist.

Thirdly, there are over 40 prophecies written, at the earliest, 400 years before the birth of Christ. All of these prophecies came to pass in accordance with what is written in the New Testament. The mathematical probability of this happening is 1 in 10 to the 157th power. This is more molecules than exist in the known universe, and Christ's birth is that ONE winning lottery ticket of all molecules in existence. The details of this probability are written in the book, "Science Speaks" by Peter Stoner.

3) Challenge: 'Mortal men wrote the bible, not God.'

Answer: Mortal men wrote the bible by the inspiration of the Holy Ghost (2 Peter 1:21).

A perfect God made His handbook perfect through imperfect man to show that He's God. There are over 40 authors throughout the bible ranking from fishermen to kings who all write of the same God and give account of the same prophecies which have and have yet to be fulfilled.

The 66 books of the bible are estimated to be written over the course of 2100 years, starting in 2,000 B.C. and ending by 100 A.D. All of what has been written in the Old Testament is directly referenced throughout the New Testament, a feat no committee of men, no matter how intelligent they could've been, would ever be able to execute, even if their life depended on it. This is because God knows the end from the beginning (Isaiah 46:10).

4) Challenge: 'There are hundreds of translations of the bible, how can you be so sure yours is the right one?'

Answer: The simplest proof is to compare KJV verses to the same verses printed in ANY other translation (ESV, ASV, NLT, NKJV, NIV, etc) and the reader will see why God is the singular, absolute Truth (John 1:1).

Verses to compare -

Isaiah 14:12, note Rev 22:16
1 Timothy 6:10, note that the KJV has no copyright
1 Timothy 6:20
Luke 23:33
2 Timothy 2:15

Word of a king:
Esther 8:8
Ecclesiastes 8:4

The absolute word of God is pure & settled:
Proverbs 30:5
Psalms 119:89
John 17:17
Psalms 68:11

Doctrine of preservation:
Psalms 12:6-7

5) Challenge: 'Just because that's what YOU think the bible says doesn't mean that's what it actually says. Everyone has a different interpretation.'

Answer: There are no private interpretations. A person can believe something they don't understand. 2 Peter 1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

6) Challenge: 'Christianity is just another religion that's based on 'good works' like all the rest.'

Answer: The conditions for salvation of a Christian are unique from any other religion in the world because it is the only "religion" in the world where the worshiper is saved by God as a gift given by God and NOT of a work earned by the worshiper (Ephesians 2:8-9).

Some examples of "work" include: meditation, making pies for your neighbor, not cursing people out, attending mass every week, sacrificing rice to a statue, etc.

7) Challenge: 'I think I'm a good person and I'll rely on a fair judgement by the higher powers of the afterlife when I die.'

Answer: If you've told a lie, you're a liar. Is a liar a good person? You lie once, you're a liar in the court of law forever.

God sent Christ to make an end to the law, which is why the Christian puts faith in the work of Jesus Christ instead of their own. This is the hope of salvation that the Christian shares with the world.

8) Challenge: 'But Catholics are doing bad things.'

Answer: Catholics aren't Christians. It's written to call no man father (Matthew 23:9). Further, it's written that worshippers of Baal wear vestments (2 Kings 10:22).

9) Challenge: 'But preachers like Joel Osteen and Kenneth Copeland are taking large wealth and living selfish, cultish lives.'

Answer: 1 Timothy 6:10 - "For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows."

10) Challenge: 'But presbyterians and calvinists say we have no free will'

Answer: according to the will of the person, they may take the water of life freely (Revelation 22:17).

11) Challenge: 'But the charismatic churches have people babbling like zombies and running around like chickens with their head cut off.'

Answer: God calls us to be disciplined and sober minded (Titus 2:1-8, Titus 2:11-12, 1 Peter 1:13-16).

If a tongue is to offer edification of a church, it will be interpreted by one person. If there is no interpreter, the speaker of the tongue is supposed to be silent in the church (1 Corinthians 14:27-28).

12) Challenge: 'Jesus Christ didn't exist.'

Answer: Historians disagree.

1 Thessalonians 5:21
[21] Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.

Proverbs 26:4-5
[4] Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.
[5] Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit.

bible-basic-instructions-before-leaving-earth-mens-premium-t-shirt.jpg

Momma

“The Christians i know are jerks.”

Your response?

Thank you.

OP
Twohandsondeck
“The Christians i know are jerks.”

Your response?

Thank you.
Then they're not living by the Book.

Leviticus 19:10-18 addresses how we're supposed to treat our neighbors and the poor.

Further, by only doing two things:
1) loving the Lord with all of our heart, soul, & mind and
2) loving our neighbor as yourself

...will result in us fulfilling all of the 613 commandments given in the Old Testament in addition to the 1,000+ commandments given in the New Testament.

Leviticus 19:16-18
[16] Thou shalt not go up and down as a talebearer among thy people: neither shalt thou stand against the blood of thy neighbour: I am the LORD.
[17] Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him.
[18] Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD.

Matthew 22:36-40
[36] Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
[37] Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
[38] This is the first and great commandment.
[39] And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
[40] On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Another related challenge: 'The Christians I know don't recycle.'
Answer: Welp, I'm sorry that they're acting that way, but that's not what we're told to do. The Christian is told to replenish the earth.

Genesis 1:27-28
[27]So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
[28] And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

And one more that comes to mind along these lines is:

Challenge: 'The Christians I know are pro gun, pro NRA, and act aggressively about keeping automatic rifles and crazy, overpowered weaponry.'

Answer: When Christ determined to enter into the city where He knew that He would be crucified, He gave Peter a new commandment to now take a purse, a scrip, and to sell his garments in exchange for a sword. Previously Peter was told to not be concerned with these things:

Luke 22:35-38
[35] And he said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing.
[36] Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
[37] For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end.
[38] And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

Momma

Then they're not living by the Book.

Leviticus 19:10-18 addresses how we're supposed to treat our neighbors and the poor.

Further, by only doing two things:
1) loving the Lord with all of our heart, soul, & mind and
2) loving our neighbor as yourself

...will result in us fulfilling all of the 613 commandments given in the Old Testament in addition to the 1,000+ commandments given in the New Testament.

Leviticus 19:16-18
[16] Thou shalt not go up and down as a talebearer among thy people: neither shalt thou stand against the blood of thy neighbour: I am the LORD.
[17] Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him.
[18] Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD.

Matthew 22:36-40
[36] Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
[37] Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
[38] This is the first and great commandment.
[39] And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
[40] On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Another related challenge: 'The Christians I know don't recycle.'
Answer: Welp, I'm sorry that they're acting that way, but that's not what we're told to do. The Christian is told to replenish the earth.

Genesis 1:27-28
[27]So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
[28] And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

And one more that comes to mind along these lines is:

Challenge: 'The Christians I know are pro gun, pro NRA, and act aggressively about keeping automatic rifles and crazy, overpowered weaponry.'

Answer: When Christ determined to enter into the city where He knew that He would be crucified, He gave Peter a new commandment to now take a purse, a scrip, and to sell his garments in exchange for a sword. Previously Peter was told to not be concerned with these things:

Luke 22:35-38
[35] And he said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing.
[36] Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
[37] For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end.
[38] And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.
Thank you.

Diokine

Paul's letter to the church at Ephesus claims that the word of God is the sword of the spirit, the book of Hebrews also refers to the word of God as if it were a sword. The verse directing to "sell your garments and buy a sword" could have multiple meanings but I interpret it to essentially be saying don't mind what you look like or how people perceive you, proclaim the word of God as truth.

OP
Twohandsondeck
Paul's letter to the church at Ephesus claims that the word of God is the sword of the spirit, the book of Hebrews also refers to the word of God as if it were a sword.
I'm glad you made this point.

As one example, the disciples are commanded

Matthew 28:18-20
[18] And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
[19] Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
[20] Teaching them to observe [G5083] all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

That word, observe, is G5083 in the Strong's concordance. It is translated elsewhere in scripture as: "keep, reserve, watch, preserve, keeper, and hold fast."

Observing what the Lord has commanded is similar to those defensive words listed above. This is the purpose of a sword, for self defense, not to create war where there is peace.

This leads into my second point, which is that Paul tells us to make amends with all people (as he conveys many other times throughout his letters) so that we may lead peaceable lives. Surely using a sword offensively is the opposite of leading a peaceable life.

1 Timothy 2:1-2
[1] I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;
[2] For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.

The verse directing to "sell your garments and buy a sword" could have multiple meanings
Like what? Sell your clothes to buy a KJV? How many meanings can you think of? Let's not get carried away with our imaginations here.
but I interpret it to essentially be saying don't mind what you look like or how people perceive you, proclaim the word of God as truth.
I'm not sure that I follow this logic.

I sell my shirt, I buy a sword with the same money.

I'm now carrying a sword with no shirt.

...considering through Luke 22:38 listed above, what does this have to do with anything?

Old Irenaeus

Answer: Catholics aren't Christians. It's written to call no man father (Matthew 23:9). Further, it's written that worshippers of Baal wear
(2 Kings 10:22).

Do you have parents? Ever call them mom and dad? Ever referred to your biological father as your father? Be honest.
Also, the use of the term 'father' as an honorific for priests is not universal in the Catholic Church.

How about your worship? You don't wear vestments when you worship God? Worship in the nude I presume?

OP
Twohandsondeck
Do you have parents? Ever call them mom and dad? Ever referred to your biological father as your father? Be honest.
Also, the use of the term 'father' as an honorific for priests is not universal in the Catholic Church.

How about your worship? You don't wear vestments when you worship God? Worship in the nude I presume?
This has already been exhaustively covered here:

OP
Twohandsondeck
"To be deep in history is to cease to be Protestant."
If this is a response to the thread linked above... the entire post is scripture proving scripture, with the exception of a mention of a few other goddesses that are likened unto a "queen of heaven."

Like, it's strictly all from a King James Bible. Is that the "history" you're criticizing?

Old Irenaeus

If this is a response to the thread linked above... the entire post is scripture proving scripture, with the exception of a mention of a few other goddesses that are likened unto a "queen of heaven."

Like, it's strictly all from a King James Bible. Is that the "history" you're criticizing?
That is a well-known quotation from John Henry Newman, who certainly knew the Bible inside and out, but once he read the writings the Church Fathers in depth and came to know the history of the Church better, he realized that the truth was not in the Protestamt Church and became a Roman Catholic.

OP
Twohandsondeck
That is a well-known quotation from John Henry Newman, who certainly knew the Bible inside and out, but once he read the writings the Church Fathers in depth and came to know the history of the Church better, he realized that the truth was not in the Protestamt Church and became a Roman Catholic.
Ah yes, the 'ole 'Rome and the Alexandrian manuscripts of the 3rd century A.D. are where the church actually began' stance.

Talk about building a house on sand. Ah well. We'll all figure it out in the end.

Romans 3:3-4
[3] For what if some did not believe? shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect?
[4] God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.

Bliss

...will result in us fulfilling all of the 613 commandments given in the Old Testament…

You think we should fulfil Old Testament commandments? Like put to death everyone who has ever committed adultery? (Lev 20:10) Or put to death anyone who curses their parents? (Lev 20:9)

Blossom

Forum Supporter

“Question: Where did the tradition of calling priests "Father" come from?​

Father Paul:​

In the following answer to the question above, we will learn that the challenge of calling priests “Father” comes centuries later after using the term in this context was common. It is not until the Protestant Reformation that referring to priests as “Father” becomes an issue. It is based on the scripture passage from Matthew that is referred to below.
The Orthodox understanding of this passage follows the usage of the Bible and the early Church in that we are not to call anyone “father” in such a way that it usurps the role of our Father in heaven. It does not forbid us from calling men father who have received a share in patrimony from God whether it be our natural fathers or our spiritual fathers.
Protestant interpretation of scripture challenges addressing those ordained into the ranks of the Holy Priesthood or the Monastic Order, “Father”. They base their argument on the following words of Christ in Matthew 23:8-10:
But you, do not to be called ‘Rabbi’, for one is your Teacher, the Christ, and you are all brethren. Do not call anyone on earth your father, for One is your Father, who is in heaven. And do not be called teachers, for One is your Teacher, the Christ.”
If the meaning of this passage is as obvious as the Reformers claim how did it go unnoticed for nearly 1500 years. Perhaps the first Christians and their descendants before the Reformation had a different understanding of these verses. It also follows logically that if we interpret this prohibition of the term “father” in the improper way, we cannot call anyone, “teacher” or “Rabbi”. So why would it be acceptable to call refer to someone as teacher and not father? The answer here is that the Reformers, in order to distance themselves from the Romans Catholic Church found any possible way through scripture to dismiss the Catholic Priesthood.
There is a wealth of scriptural evidence that the terms father and teacher were applied throughout the New Testament:
Let not many of you become teachers, my brethren, for you know that we who teach shall be judged with greater strictness.”
— James 3:1
And his gifts were that some should be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some pastors and teachers”
— Eph. 4:11
Are you greater than our father Jacob, who gave us the well, and drank from it himself, and his sons, and his cattle?”
— Jn. 4:12
I am writing to you, fathers, because you know him who is from the beginning. I am writing to you, young men, because you have overcome the evil one. I write to you, children, because you know the Father. 14 I write to you, fathers, because you know him who is from the beginning. I write to you, young men, because you are strong, and the word of God abides in you, and you have overcome the evil one.”
— 1 Jn. 2:13-14
And St. Paul calls himself a father in the spiritual sense:
I do not write this to make you ashamed, but to admonish you as my beloved children. 15 For though you have countless guides in Christ, you do not have many fathers. For I became your father in Christ Jesus through the gospel.”
— 1 Corinthians 4:14-15

How Did the Early Christians Understand this Verse?
Yes, the Early Christians understood the Lord’s words and accepted them in the context of those who were sinfully pride of the title or titles they had received. It is only through humility that any title should be acceptable. Imagine not being able to refer to one’s natural parents as father or mother.
St. John Chrysostom teaches:
Again, “call no man your father.” This is said in order that they may know whom they ought to call Father in the highest sense. It is not said frivolously as if no one should ever be called father. Just as the human master is not the divine Master, so neither is the father the Father who is the cause of all, both of all masters and of all fathers.”
— THE GOSPEL OF MATTHEW, HOMILY 72.3
In this passage, the early Church clearly understood that Jesus was condemning the commandeering of the fatherhood of God, not the proper participation in and acknowledgement of that fatherhood by grace.
So, let’s continue to honor the 2,000 year tradition of our Holy Church and refer to those who serve our Lord in the Holy Priesthood, father.”

OP
Twohandsondeck
...will result in us fulfilling all of the 613 commandments given in the Old Testament…

You think we should fulfil Old Testament commandments? Like put to death everyone who has ever committed adultery? (Lev 20:10) Or put to death anyone who curses their parents? (Lev 20:9)
"Death" is loss of life.

Consider comparing the following verses:

Leviticus 20:10
[10] And the man that committeth adultery with another man's wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbour's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.

1 Corinthians 5:1-5
[1] It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife.
[2] And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you.
[3] For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have judged already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed,
[4] In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ,
[5] To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

Old Irenaeus

Ah yes, the 'ole 'Rome and the Alexandrian manuscripts of the 3rd century A.D. are where the church actually began' stance.
Um, no, that's not the stance. But knowing the writings a figure such as Ignatius of Antioch would be important. His dates are late first/early second century. Hard to square his writings and emphases with the anti-sacramental and anti-hierarchal views of fundamentalist protestants.

The most common challenges I've heard towards Christianity over the last 3 years -

1) Challenge: 'I go by science, the big bang theory is how we started from an infinite singularity of nothing.'

Answer: the big bang theory doesn't pass Newton's first law of motion.

2) Challenge: 'How do you know your god is God?'

Answer: The entire world agrees that we live in the year 2023, after (His) death (A.D.). Secondly, every first-world language calls upon the name of Christ when under stress and none other. They're not stubbing their toe and crying out the name of Zeus or Buddha, because it would be foolish to call out the name of a god that doesn't exist.

Thirdly, there are over 40 prophecies written, at the earliest, 400 years before the birth of Christ. All of these prophecies came to pass in accordance with what is written in the New Testament. The mathematical probability of this happening is 1 in 10 to the 157th power. This is more molecules than exist in the known universe, and Christ's birth is that ONE winning lottery ticket of all molecules in existence. The details of this probability are written in the book, "Science Speaks" by Peter Stoner.

3) Challenge: 'Mortal men wrote the bible, not God.'

Answer: Mortal men wrote the bible by the inspiration of the Holy Ghost (2 Peter 1:21).

A perfect God made His handbook perfect through imperfect man to show that He's God. There are over 40 authors throughout the bible ranking from fishermen to kings who all write of the same God and give account of the same prophecies which have and have yet to be fulfilled.

The 66 books of the bible are estimated to be written over the course of 2100 years, starting in 2,000 B.C. and ending by 100 A.D. All of what has been written in the Old Testament is directly referenced throughout the New Testament, a feat no committee of men, no matter how intelligent they could've been, would ever be able to execute, even if their life depended on it. This is because God knows the end from the beginning (Isaiah 46:10).

4) Challenge: 'There are hundreds of translations of the bible, how can you be so sure yours is the right one?'

Answer: The simplest proof is to compare KJV verses to the same verses printed in ANY other translation (ESV, ASV, NLT, NKJV, NIV, etc) and the reader will see why God is the singular, absolute Truth (John 1:1).

Verses to compare -

Isaiah 14:12, note Rev 22:16
1 Timothy 6:10, note that the KJV has no copyright
1 Timothy 6:20
Luke 23:33
2 Timothy 2:15

Word of a king:
Esther 8:8
Ecclesiastes 8:4

The absolute word of God is pure & settled:
Proverbs 30:5
Psalms 119:89
John 17:17
Psalms 68:11

Doctrine of preservation:
Psalms 12:6-7

5) Challenge: 'Just because that's what YOU think the bible says doesn't mean that's what it actually says. Everyone has a different interpretation.'

Answer: There are no private interpretations. A person can believe something they don't understand. 2 Peter 1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

6) Challenge: 'Christianity is just another religion that's based on 'good works' like all the rest.'

Answer: The conditions for salvation of a Christian are unique from any other religion in the world because it is the only "religion" in the world where the worshiper is saved by God as a gift given by God and NOT of a work earned by the worshiper (Ephesians 2:8-9).

Some examples of "work" include: meditation, making pies for your neighbor, not cursing people out, attending mass every week, sacrificing rice to a statue, etc.

7) Challenge: 'I think I'm a good person and I'll rely on a fair judgement by the higher powers of the afterlife when I die.'

Answer: If you've told a lie, you're a liar. Is a liar a good person? You lie once, you're a liar in the court of law forever.

God sent Christ to make an end to the law, which is why the Christian puts faith in the work of Jesus Christ instead of their own. This is the hope of salvation that the Christian shares with the world.

Answer: Catholics aren't Christians. It's written to call no man father (Matthew 23:9). Further, it's written that worshippers of Baal wear vestments (2 Kings 10:22).

9) Challenge: 'But preachers like Joel Osteen and Kenneth Copeland are taking large wealth and living selfish, cultish lives.'

Answer: 1 Timothy 6:10 - "For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows."

10) Challenge: 'But presbyterians and calvinists say we have no free will'

Answer: according to the will of the person, they may take the water of life freely (Revelation 22:17).

11) Challenge: 'But the charismatic churches have people babbling like zombies and running around like chickens with their head cut off.'

Answer: God calls us to be disciplined and sober minded (Titus 2:1-8, Titus 2:11-12, 1 Peter 1:13-16).

If a tongue is to offer edification of a church, it will be interpreted by one person. If there is no interpreter, the speaker of the tongue is supposed to be silent in the church (1 Corinthians 14:27-28).

12) Challenge: 'Jesus Christ didn't exist.'

Answer: Historians disagree.

1 Thessalonians 5:21
[21] Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.

Proverbs 26:4-5
[4] Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.
[5] Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit.

View attachment 49597
This is an absolute gem of a post.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals