Coffee May Prevent Tinnitus

haidut

Forum Supporter
The study claims that the beneficial effects is due to caffeine. If tinnitus is commonly caused by stomach issues, then caffeine is probably protective for the gut. I posted a study some time ago that showed caffeine being protective for IBS, and excessive gut serotonin.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/dri ... -tinnitus/

B

Braveheart

I think its a vascular problem...have had tinnitus since before my stroke...a warning maybe? Been Peating for over a year and this old man feels like he's found the fountain of youth...but my tinnitus is worsening. These days there is talk of soft tissue calcification re tinnitus. This resonates w me.
I have long been concerned with artery health... the books by Ornish, MacDougal and Essylsten on my night stand attest to that. Have I done anything about it?...not really, other than try to stay low fat. To go zero fat vegetarian is unfathomable to me...if you made a lion eat only grass, he would die. I would like the problem to be endotoxins...but currently don't believe this. It sure would be a lot easier to fix than atherosclerosis.

tonto

Thanks for article. Functional problems can lead to anatomic or structural distortions (as Haidut said in interview I heard recently), which I think may be the case with tinnitus. For instance, insufficient Eustachian Tube function (along with hearing loss, other middle ear problems) can result in tinnitus . Poor ET function can result from any changes over time in vascular flow, including venous congestion. Certainly serotonin can be a source of this. The middle cranial fossa can get especially congested with poor venous return as a significant amount of venous blood comes from veins along the temporal bone. Cranial therapy can be helpful along with decreased serotonin.

I wrote Ray about my wife's tinnitus:

Endotoxin can produce those effects. Keeping the digestive system free of inflammation often helps, and a daily raw carrot is sometimes enough, sometimes a supplement of thyroid or progesterone helps. The endogenous opioids can have one-sided effects, and they are increased by endotoxin. Having well cooked mushrooms every day, and avoiding green salads, unsaturated fats, grains and beans are other helpful things. A supplement of niacinamide and other B vitamins sometimes helps.

Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2013 Jan;51(1):5-11.

The effect of naltrexone on the perception and distress in tinnitus: an

open-label pilot study.

Vanneste S(1), Azevedo A, De Ridder D.

(1)Brai²n, Tinnitus Research Initiative Clinic, University Hospital Antwerp,

Edegem, Belgium. [email protected]

OBJECTIVE: Tinnitus is a perceived sensation of sound without actual acoustic

stimulation. Currently there are no standardized drug therapies for the treatment

of tinnitus patients. A potential novel treatment for chronic tinnitus is

naltrexone. Tinnitus can be considered an auditory phantom phenomenon similar to

phantom pain. Naltrexone acts predominantly on μ-opioid receptors which are

present in multiple areas of the brain, including the thalamus, dorsal part of

the anterior cingulate, insula, amygdala, nucleus accumbens, and ventromedial to

orbitofrontal cortex. These areas overlap with the areas involved in

tinnitus-related distress. The aim of the present study is to investigate three

doses of naltrexone, namely 5, 12.5, and 50 mg and determine their influence on

tinnitus complaints. We conducted a 4-week single-center, open-label treatment

study.

SUBJECTS AND METHODS: 86 patients received the drug treatment, while 30 patients

received no treatment.

RESULTS: Overall tinnitus distress was significantly reduced for the drug

treatment group, while for the waiting control group this was not the case. No

significant effect could be obtained for tinnitus intensity. A closer look at the

data indicates that this effect is mainly generated due to a significant

difference in the 50 mg drug treatment group for tinnitus distress.

CONCLUSION: our results indicate that naltrexone might have an effect on tinnitus

distress and more particularly higher doses of naltrexone.

B

Braveheart

I wrote Ray about my wife's tinnitus:

Endotoxin can produce those effects. Keeping the digestive system free of inflammation often helps, and a daily raw carrot is sometimes enough, sometimes a supplement of thyroid or progesterone helps. The endogenous opioids can have one-sided effects, and they are increased by endotoxin. Having well cooked mushrooms every day, and avoiding green salads, unsaturated fats, grains and beans are other helpful things. A supplement of niacinamide and other B vitamins sometimes helps.

Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2013 Jan;51(1):5-11.

The effect of naltrexone on the perception and distress in tinnitus: an

open-label pilot study.

Vanneste S(1), Azevedo A, De Ridder D.

(1)Brai²n, Tinnitus Research Initiative Clinic, University Hospital Antwerp,

Edegem, Belgium. [email protected]

OBJECTIVE: Tinnitus is a perceived sensation of sound without actual acoustic

stimulation. Currently there are no standardized drug therapies for the treatment

of tinnitus patients. A potential novel treatment for chronic tinnitus is

naltrexone. Tinnitus can be considered an auditory phantom phenomenon similar to

phantom pain. Naltrexone acts predominantly on μ-opioid receptors which are

present in multiple areas of the brain, including the thalamus, dorsal part of

the anterior cingulate, insula, amygdala, nucleus accumbens, and ventromedial to

orbitofrontal cortex. These areas overlap with the areas involved in

tinnitus-related distress. The aim of the present study is to investigate three

doses of naltrexone, namely 5, 12.5, and 50 mg and determine their influence on

tinnitus complaints. We conducted a 4-week single-center, open-label treatment

study.

SUBJECTS AND METHODS: 86 patients received the drug treatment, while 30 patients

received no treatment.

RESULTS: Overall tinnitus distress was significantly reduced for the drug

treatment group, while for the waiting control group this was not the case. No

significant effect could be obtained for tinnitus intensity. A closer look at the

data indicates that this effect is mainly generated due to a significant

difference in the 50 mg drug treatment group for tinnitus distress.

CONCLUSION: our results indicate that naltrexone might have an effect on tinnitus

distress and more particularly higher doses of naltrexone.

I've done all the suggestions to mitigate endotoxins...part of my regular routine...feel my gut's about as clean as it will ever be...want to remove something from what I'm doing...not add another something...

Barry Obummer

There is a kind of tinnitus called pulsatile tinnitus. If your ringing rhythmically amplifies with each heartbeat, it might be due to intracranial hypertension or brainstem crowding. I just thought I would inject my experience. Caffeine probably helps because it is a diuretic and a vasoconstrictor so your brain size and plasma volume probably get smaller, thus relieving some pressure. Just a guess, I'm no expert.

B

Braveheart

There is a kind of tinnitus called pulsatile tinnitus. If your ringing rhythmically amplifies with each heartbeat, it might be due to intracranial hypertension or brainstem crowding. I just thought I would inject my experience. Caffeine probably helps because it is a diuretic and a vasoconstrictor so your brain size and plasma volume probably get smaller, thus relieving some pressure. Just a guess, I'm no expert.

thanks, not pulsatile... but seems to have gotten worse since coffee resumption...this is one real mystery...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals