COLLAGEN CONFUSION

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Glutamic acid is an α-amino acid that is used by almost all living beings in the biosynthesis of proteins. It is a non-essential nutrient for humans, meaning that the human body can synthesize enough for its use. It is also the most abundant excitatory neurotransmitter in the vertebrate nervous system.” Wikipedia

OP
Rinse & rePeat
6/20 Glycine

“Glycine is an amino acid that your body uses to create proteins, which it needs for the growth and maintenance of tissue and for making important substances, such as hormones and enzymes.

Your body naturally produces glycine from other amino acids, but it’s also found in protein-rich foods and available as a dietary supplement.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Glycine is one of many amino acids that are used to produce proteins. It is the smallest of all amino acids and is incredibly important for the synthesis of other amino acids such as glutathione, creatine, heme, RNA/DNA, and it can help with the absorption of calcium in the body. It's essential for maintaining the structure of tissues, joints and blood vessels. It also promotes healthy skin, hair, and nails.
While technically called “non-essential, amino acid” the amounts of glycine we synthesize plus dietary glycine we consume may fall short of the amount we need for optimal metabolic function.
Although, glycine deficiency is not life threatening, studies show that low levels of glycine can compromise synthesis of important enzymes and proteins which could have detrimental effects on health.“

“Glycine makes up about 1/3 of the amino acids in elastin and collagen, the most abundant protein in the human body. As we get older, collagen production naturally declines, and with the loss of collagen comes the loosening of the skin, wrinkles, increased cellulite, joint pain, and difficulty gaining muscle and burning fat. “

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Histidine is a nutritionally essential amino acid with many recognized benefits to human health, while circulating concentrations of histidine decline in pathologic conditions [e.g., chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and chronic kidney disease (CKD)].”

“Histidine intake also improves cognitive function (e.g., reduces appetite, anxiety, and stress responses and improves sleep) potentially through the metabolism of histidine to histamine; however, this relation is ambiguous in humans. At high intakes of histidine (>24 g/d), studies report adverse effects of histidine such as decreased serum zinc and cognitive impairment.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
8/20 Hydroxylysine

“hydroxylysine, glycogenic amino acid uniquely found in collagen, the chief structural protein of mammalian skin and connective tissue, and in some similar structural plant proteins. The hydroxyl group of hydroxylysine forms a chemical bond with sugars, attaching galactose monosaccharides and glucosyl-galactose disaccharides to the protein, thus contributing to collagen’s unusual toughness and resiliency. Collagen is insoluable, but heat denaturation (boiling in water, dilute acids, or alkalies) yields digestible, soluble gelatin.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
9/10 - Hydroxy Proline

“L-4-Hydroxy Proline, (also referred to as Hydroxy Proline or Hydroxyproline), is an amino acid, a building block of protein, made by modifying another amino acid called Proline. It is the primary component of collagen, a fibrous protein found in the dermis of the skin that gives skin its structural support and youthful firmness. Collagen is also the major component of connective tissue, the material that provides structural report for most organs in the body. In the skin, collagen is synthesized by cells called fibroblasts. This process requires vitamin C. Hydroxyproline also plays an important role in wound healing and is a vital component of bones and teeth.

Hydroxy Proline is a major component of the protein collagen. Hydroxy Proline and proline play key roles for collagen stability. Hydroxy Proline is found in few proteins other than collagen. For this reason, Hydroxy Proline content has been used as an indicator to determine collagen and/or gelatin amount. Hydroxy Proline rich glycoproteins are also found in plant cell walls.

Hydroxyproline has the potential to decrease fine lines and wrinkles when used topically and also helps to increase penetration into the skin of other anti-aging skin care ingredients. In addition, hydroxyproline binds water, making it an effective moisturizer and skin conditioner. Another study showed that participants that took hydroxyproline as an oral supplement experienced less skin dryness and better skin texture. Whether hydroxyproline penetrates deeply enough to increase collagen synthesis is still unclear, but, at the very least, it appears to be an efficient moisturizer.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
10/20 Isoleucine

“Isoleucine plays a vital role in energy supply of muscle tissue, which is particularly critical during periods of extensive physical stresses. Enhances muscle growth, improve hormone balance for greater power, strength, and endurance by increasing testosterone and decreasing cortisol.”

Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Did you know that your body can’t actually assimilate and produce collagen without Vitamin C? All the gelatin in the world won’t help fill those fine lines and support your skin’s elasticity without adequate vitamin C. The antioxidant vitamin is essential for Collagen production, which is not only good for looking younger, but supporting a healthy digestive system, strong bones & teeth, and more. A Vitamin C supplement isn’t enough because it doesn’t contain the full Vitamin C complex. Getting vitamin C from food sources is ideal, and orange juice has plenty of it.“

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The simplest, nonessential, amino acid, glycine, has been found to protect against carcinogenesis, inflammation, fibrosis, neurological damage, shock, asthma, and hypertension. Increased glycine improves learning (Handlemann, et al., 1989; File, et al., 1999), glycine antagonists usually impair it. Its antitoxic and cytoprotective actions are remarkable. Collagen, besides being free of tryptophan, contains a large amount of glycine--32% of its amino acid units, 22% of its weight.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“In specific fibrotic conditions, such as cirrhosis of the liver, it is known that glycine and saturated fats can reverse the fibrosis. In fibrosis of the heart, thyroid hormone is sometimes able to reverse the condition.”
-Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Russian medicine considers glycine a brain drug and it is available by prescription there since the 1950s AFAIK. There has been considerable interest in the Western world lately about so-called glycine agonists for treatment of many psychiatric conditions including bipolar depression, dementia, PTSD, etc. Below are some studies related to glycine research for schizophrenia, and they point to other studies on glycine for many brain conditions. The human dosage used was high - 60g-80g, but it is achievable by supplementation with gelatin or powdered glycine.”

freyasam

I have only heard RP talk about gelatin, not collagen. I really am not sold on collagen powder. I have many cans of it, as well as gelatin, stored for an emergency protein source, but as long as I can make homemade gelatinous bone broth, like I did yesterday, then that is what I am doing. It is effortless to make. I am so tired of being on the bandwagon using something to improve my health and then find out later it was a bad move. Here is the 4 hour beef bone broth I made yesterday, no vegetables, made with just bones.
So 4 hours is a good length of time to cook bones for broth? I saw that you said long cooking times are not good -- because of heavy metals, maybe? But how long is considered 'long'? I have some oxtail and not sure how long to cook it.

freyasam

Hi Dr. Peat!

I have been putting the Great Lakes collagen in my coffees in the morning, but wondering if the heavy metals in the powdered in gelatin isn't worth it. Do what are your thoughts on that?

"Powdered gelatin causes digestive problems for some people; if it has a noticeably good effect, then it’s valuable. Usually, I think it just spoils the taste of coffee." -Ray Peat

Asked about Great Lakes gelatin Ray Peat says....

"Yeah that's a good one I use a lot."

I haven't read all this thread yet but I'm a little confused because earlier in the thread Ray was quoted saying gelatin and maybe collagen powders were safe. But later in the thread did you conclude they weren't?

Also, did you see the cleaner collagens at the end of this thread?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I haven't read all this thread yet but I'm a little confused because earlier in the thread Ray was quoted saying gelatin and maybe collagen powders were safe. But later in the thread did you conclude they weren't?

Also, did you see the cleaner collagens at the end of this thread?

I don’t trust any manufactured foods, more than homemade. I do use collagen powder @ freyasam, on occasion, which I know isn’t going to hurt me, but relying on it daily, and more than once a day at that, I know did not work for me. I was sensitive to heavy metals many years back, and up to two or 3 years ago it seems that my heavy metal load has diminished, I suspect because of my heavy calcium intake from dairy now. There were several foods that would make me wake up in the night with a totally dead/numb arm when I was exposed to heavy metals. The worst offender was canned tuna, but another was too much of the collagen powder. I can have some now without an issue, but I wouldn’t dare have it on a regular basis.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
So 4 hours is a good length of time to cook bones for broth? I saw that you said long cooking times are not good -- because of heavy metals, maybe? But how long is considered 'long'? I have some oxtail and not sure how long to cook it.
I don’t cook my chicken bone broth more than 3 hours @freyasam, and my beef more than five hours, and they are so incredibly firm. The trick is to use skin and cartilage rather than bones. Linked below is my bone broth thread with directions on how I make my chicken one, making wings for dinner. My beef one I just throw good cartilage bones in a pot with purified water and boil them on high heat with the lid off, adding water as needed. My gelatin is thicker than any of the long cooked ones, with vegetables and such, and much cleaner too! I refreeze leftover bones if they still have cartilage on them, to boil again.

Attachments

• 2BA1FB87-43F3-435A-9232-AB0EB099FBD5.jpeg
    2BA1FB87-43F3-435A-9232-AB0EB099FBD5.jpeg
    283.9 KB · Views: 7
  • A5783B6B-877A-4560-B420-A37800F9133D.jpeg
    A5783B6B-877A-4560-B420-A37800F9133D.jpeg
    291 KB · Views: 7

freyasam

I don’t cook my chicken bone broth more than 3 hours @freyasam, and my beef more than five hours, and they are so incredibly firm. The trick is to use skin and cartilage rather than bones. Linked below is my bone broth thread with directions on how I make my chicken one, making wings for dinner. My beef one I just throw good cartilagebones in a pot with purified water and boil them on high heat with the lid off, adding water as needed. My gelatin is thicker than any of the long cooked ones with vegetables and such, and much cleaner too!
Great thanks for both your responses. I'd like to make more bone broth or oxtail but I have very limited energy and was thinking of trying collagen or gelatin powder. Maybe I shouldn't rely on it daily though.

Also, I was thinking I could get some marine collagen for my 72 y-o mom who I can't get to eat healthfully, but maybe she'd at least stir some powder into beverages and thus get some good amino acids. Jennifer on the forum had some luck with marine collagen. But I agree that manufactured foods are not always great to trust. And my mom won't pay attention to how she reacts to foods. It's so hard to know what to do sometimes!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Great thanks for both your responses. I'd like to make more bone broth or oxtail but I have very limited energy and was thinking of trying collagen or gelatin powder. Maybe I shouldn't rely on it daily though.

Also, I was thinking I could get some marine collagen for my 72 y-o mom who I can't get to eat healthfully, but maybe she'd at least stir some powder into beverages and thus get some good amino acids. Jennifer on the forum had some luck with marine collagen. But I agree that manufactured foods are not always great to trust. And my mom won't pay attention to how she reacts to foods. It's so hard to know what to do sometimes!
I don’t find bone broth to be troublesome at all. I put bones in pot with water and turn on the heat and that is it. I sent the timer for 40 minutes to refresh water level and it is done. It is the easiest thing ever and a base for many meals for me like soups, gravy and other sauces.

Attachments

• 67C251FB-F26D-4B82-96B2-8098FDB6BA30.jpeg
    67C251FB-F26D-4B82-96B2-8098FDB6BA30.jpeg
    431.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 925D5C4D-0EB6-4CF8-ADA9-779CE49F45C4.jpeg
    925D5C4D-0EB6-4CF8-ADA9-779CE49F45C4.jpeg
    411.8 KB · Views: 5
  • DBCC9D41-4B05-4C49-8DC2-25DDE12B8160.jpeg
    DBCC9D41-4B05-4C49-8DC2-25DDE12B8160.jpeg
    477.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 001280D2-98DA-4E1C-BE11-C838207F6DDA.jpeg
    001280D2-98DA-4E1C-BE11-C838207F6DDA.jpeg
    398.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 0EFF802B-B4C3-4978-8341-E5914A8D76CF.jpeg
    0EFF802B-B4C3-4978-8341-E5914A8D76CF.jpeg
    420 KB · Views: 5
  • 7699404F-0795-4E8E-A5C4-0C440F82FFF2.jpeg
    7699404F-0795-4E8E-A5C4-0C440F82FFF2.jpeg
    407.7 KB · Views: 5
  • D50A1E14-CF61-44C6-B8D8-74D2F5699292.jpeg
    D50A1E14-CF61-44C6-B8D8-74D2F5699292.jpeg
    404.4 KB · Views: 4
  • C768D145-0053-4B1F-987E-034ACDDF130D.jpeg
    C768D145-0053-4B1F-987E-034ACDDF130D.jpeg
    413.7 KB · Views: 5

freyasam

I don’t find bone broth to be troublesome at all. I put bones in pot with water and turn on the heat and that is it. I sent the timer for 40 minutes to refresh water level and it is done. It is the easiest thing ever and a base for many meals for me like soups, gravy and other sauces.
Delicious looking recipes! Yes I have CFS/ME so many tasks that are easy for others are daunting for me. :(

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals