Depression, Anxiety, Insomnia, PCOS, Milk Tolerance, Greying Hair

Mittir

You can experiment by skipping gelatin for a night or two to see if it makes any difference.
RP mentioned a glass of milk with 2-3 Tablespoons of sugar before bed to aid sleep.
I do not remember what i said about sleeping early. I think you can not force sleep.
But you can induce sleep early by changing diet and environment.
Blue light from TV and computer screen can keep you awake for long hours.
You can use f.lux to minimize the blue light.
Extra salt before bed helps with sleep.

OP
M

mamaherrera

oh you had said something about the importance of fixing circadian rhythm. Because I can never sleep before 2 or 3 am and get up at 11 am. That has been my goal for years.

arinryan

Mittir said:
RP has mentioned that PCOS is a result of low thyroid, low progesterone, high estrogen and
high stress hormones.

I have dealt with PCOS and every possible diet experiment for 20 years, and used spironolactone for 10 years...which didn't really fix it, but at least I thought that was the best I could do. All sorts of different diet experiments, which really didn't do much. Just gave me some feeling of trying to have it under control. (at least most of them were fairly low pufa).

But...if I had read and paid attention to the above, and just gotten on thyroid then, I would be soo much healthier now. Get some thyroid, that is the best cure.

OP
M

mamaherrera

[ moderator edit: moved from Do You Have To Gain Weight On Peat? ]

thanks, for reminding me that men have everything in their favor, all the time!! Hopefully I don't gain, I guess if I do, I'll just cut back on total calories and keep ratios the same. But yes, men look sexy with white hair, we look old. Men look hot bald, women look bad. It's just not fair. I'm trying carbs/protein/fat 45/32/23, as far as ratios just to get me an idea of how much of everything to eat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mittir

RP has mentioned that female lives longer than men mainly because of high progesterone.
In another place he also mentioned that low iron in female being beneficial.

OP
M

mamaherrera

That may be true, but look at progesterone-deficient women like me, and I've lost the race in every aspect!

OP
M

mamaherrera

thanks, no and that does make me feel better . If I could relax, I would help my body heal. I have to put in my part too, not just depend on diet alone. I need to RELAX!! Thanks, and yes, obviously I have some progesterone, to be having kids. THanks

OP
M

mamaherrera

ONE MORE QUESTION: With the red light, I already have a red heat light in my bathroom on the ceiling. If I sit under that, is that enough, or does it need to be closer to me???? I know, it's totally off topic, but I can't find an answer on this little detail.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
mamaherrera said:
thanks, no and that does make me feel better . If I could relax, I would help my body heal. I have to put in my part too, not just depend on diet alone. I need to RELAX!! Thanks, and yes, obviously I have some progesterone, to be having kids. THanks
It can be a tough one! For a while I had to just make myself listen to some relaxation music. I know it sounds lame but I was just to that point that I needed a tool. It seems like it can become a vicious cycle. I still have to put forth some effort from time to time because life can sometimes be stressful and trying to heal is enough to handle. We're all rooting for you.

OP
M

mamaherrera

thanks, now I just need help with that red light stuff!! Please. Oh and Blossom I did send you a PM if you don't mind answering when you have a chance.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
mamaherrera said:
ONE MORE QUESTION: With the red light, I already have a red heat light in my bathroom on the ceiling. If I sit under that, is that enough, or does it need to be closer to me???? I know, it's totally off topic, but I can't find an answer on this little detail.
Other forum members are more versed on lighting than I am but I do think that it would need to be closer for maximum benefit. I've always had mine about 8-12 inches away from me. That's just what I've been doing but I'm not sure if it is perfectly correct. Right now I'm just using 2-3 incandescent bulbs (150 watts each) I do know that they are acceptable. The glass needs to be clear though.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
mamaherrera said:
thanks, now I just need help with that red light stuff!! Please. Oh and Blossom I did send you a PM if you don't mind answering when you have a chance.
The pm didn't go through but maybe it went to email. I'll check that!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Blossom said:
mamaherrera said:
The pm didn't go through but maybe it went to email. I'll check that!
The pm didn't go through and there wasn't anything in my email. If you resend it I will reply tonight. I have to run and eat some oysters! :partydance :partydance

OP
M

mamaherrera

thanks, all I'll be off to buy my red lights soon. And I haven't gained yet, so I'll just watch and keep calories in check. I think any diet can work at keeping weight off, it' all comes back to calories, I hope I'm right!

pboy

I haven't tried using red light, I actually bought one about a year ago but never set it up...lol, it was at the end of winter then I didn't need it anymore. But If I remember, Ray said keep it about a foot away from the body...closest to where you think you might need some focus, or just anywhere, and not for too long at once...perhaps 30 minutes? Im not quite sure about that, but I suppose if the feeling is too intense move the light further or turn shut it off for a bit and resume later

And don't feel bad about any kind of state youre in...I can tell you have good intentions and enough resiliency and an openness of mind enough to want to get better and got some fire under it. Many people simply give up! And id say in this modern age, anyone who never questions diet or health is incredibly rare and fortunate to have fallen into some kind of optimum situation. But for most people we must either give up, or eventually tread down this path. I haven't gained excess weight following Peat's perspective on diet... when I started reading his work and listening to audio I was at the time undernourished and a recovering vegan...I hadn't been eating enough because basically I cared so much about what I was trying to do in my life I would put food as the last option as opposed to work or experimentation. Within a few months of adding dairy and eggs, never added back in meat, and quickly dropped the eggs due to sulfur gas smells and digestive upset, I had gained weight back but it leveled off to where I had always been and id still be considered underweight or right on the verge of it now, according to mainstream, but probably just average in asia. The most important thing is digestion and finding the foods that actually work with you and energize, nourish you. For a lot of people theres actually not that many, and it can take a year or more to really pinpoint things. But once you have figured that out, its really just have as much as you feel like whenever, because you will always be able to easily assimilate or remove it. Its really things that initially cause digestive problems or that overburden the liver and blood with certain plant metabolites or foreign substances that eventually lead to sickness or weight gain. In a sense, stress + poisons - actual nourishment + sleep = the state youll feel. Counting calories isn't necessary when you aren't worried about digestion. Id say focus on that first and everything else really falls into place. A not so talked about topic...but throughout my whole journey and still continuing, is the state of your experience in the bathroom. Its probably the most tell tale way of indicating how something digested, and therefore how it moved throughout your gut...especially noticing smells (or hopefully lack thereof). To really be able to know things, you often have to isolate variables.

The main thing is figure out what gives you energy rather than what seems to draw energy, notice how you feel...like is it something you really want to do, or something you 'should do'. And don't be afraid to discard things that you know will not be great, even if you spent money on them, because they have off tastes, off flavors, or after a few bites or sips you kind of get a feeling something is off. Its better not to hurt yourself. Just don't buy that thing or brand again. Sometimes it takes, a lot of times, a really clear disturbance to say, ok I know for sure now, not doing that again. The more energy you derive with the least stresses or offenses, the more your body can stabilize and optimize...which may include gaining or losing weight, but that's just a part of the picture...and really whatever is optimum will tend to pull you back to the best middle ground, no matter where or on what side of health you are in. The most important thing about Peats work is actually the philosophy behind it. The foods could technically be interchanged or new and novel foods introduced, so long as they were more energy giving than requiring. And most of the people on this forum probably don't eat 100% typical Peat foods, but we all agree on the principles and have found what works for us...what makes you feel well might be a unique spectrum

OP
M

mamaherrera

I saw those at Home Depot, but now i'm going to trade my red light for the incandescents. My only thing about the weight gain, if you expect that if this diet really does improve thyroid, then the weight should just start peeling off. If not, then the thyroid isn't really up to par. And I think that if you stay at the correct calorie count for your body/metabolism, it should maintain weight, not gain.

OP
M

mamaherrera

My baby is three months old. And I only breastfeed. With my other three, purely breastfeeding, I wouldn't get my period until at least 6 months, if not more. This time, being on this diet, my period has come already at three months. I wonder if that's a good thing, as far as my hormone health, or a bad thing. Kind of unexpected, as we all thought breastfeeding meant a break, but if it's a good thing, then great. But now I wonder if I will become more regular with my periods, as all my life, they have been irregular/PCOS fun.

OP
M

mamaherrera

Ok I've taken niacinamide the last two nights with some milk, a bit of juice and sugar in my milk/gelatin. Been falling asleep faster and deeper (still going to bed late like at 1or 2, but falling asleep right away. But now, today I wake up and my stomach is huge and I've gained like a pound from a few days ago. It looks bloated, . .. do you all think that means water retention or that my body isn't handling the milk?? I feel no gas or pain from the milk, but I don't like how my stomach is looking all jiggling and protruded!! Just wondering, cuz it didn't look like this a few days ago!

OP
M

mamaherrera

I too have this cute/)NOT /pot belly. I am 5'3 and 33 years old, eating 1800 hundred calories (struggling to even get that) and breastfeeding and exercising. do you all think that's enough calories??

tara

mamaherrera said:
I too have this cute/)NOT /pot belly. I am 5'3 and 33 years old, eating 1800 hundred calories (struggling to even get that) and breastfeeding and exercising. do you all think that's enough calories??
No. Consider adding 1000. :)

My kids woke me often for feeding through the night. In retrospect, I wonder whether I'd have got more sleep if I'd fed myself better and maybe produced more nutritious milk. And maybe not had my health issues deteriorate so much during this time, and maybe handled life stresses better. I wasn't counting calories or deliberately limiting food, just too busy to eat enough. But I'm pretty sure it was well over 2000/day most days. (I'm not blaming all my problems on this, but it could have been a factor.)

I don't think 2000 is enough for an adult, let alone when meeting the extra demands of breastfeeding and caring for young children. If you don't put in enough food to meet these demands, it will wear your body down (even if it wisely maintains some fat to defend you from famine). I'd treat standard calorie recommendations with scepticism - they serve the weight-loss industry more than human health.

:2cents I'm getting predictable, aren't I? :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals