Diet: Peat Vs. Broda Barnes

megabit

Here is the Broda Barnes chapter 15 on obesity and chapter 17 on thyroid treatment in PDF form in case anyone else in interested.

Attachments

• Hypothyroidism - The unsuspected illness-Broda Barnes - Chapter 15 - on Obesity.pdf
    7.7 MB · Views: 42
  • Hypothyroidism - The unsuspected illness-Broda Barnes - Chapter 17 -A Word About Treatment.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Apple

Here is the Broda Barnes chapter on obesity in PDF form in case anyone else in interested.
I always discover something new skimming through books like that.

...excess protein lowers the basal metabolism,
a diet high in protein utilizes available thyroid hormone,
with extra thyroid needed for utilization of protein , the metabolism could fall to the point that 800 calories a day would maintain existing weight, rather than lead to loosing weight. That's why physicians specializing in weight loss and using high protein diets use huge amount of thyroid without any apparent harm.

Lowering metabolism allows to eat less food. I get it. But then RP (or other forum members) recommend eat more frequently so as to keep metabolic rate high. Not to mention coffee and sugar. But then RP takes thyroid to counteract wasted metabolism... What 's the point of all this mess with thyroid hormone for an average person ... who didn't have thyroid cancer (like RP) / thyroidectomy ?
Can we draw any conclusions from this on how to gain weight healthily (without looking like a muscled broiler) ?

Last edited:

Normal Human

I always discover something new skimming through books like that.

...excess protein lowers the basal metabolism,
a diet high in protein utilizes available thyroid hormone,
with extra thyroid needed for utilization of protein , the metabolism could fall to the point that 800 calories a day would maintain existing weight, rather than lead to loosing weight. That's why physicians specializing in weight loss and using high protein diets use huge amount of thyroid without any apparent harm.

Lowering metabolism allows to eat less food. I get it. But then RP (or other forum members) recommend eat more frequently so as to keep metabolic rate high. Not to mention coffee and sugar. But then RP takes thyroid to counteract wasted metabolism... What 's the point of all this mess with thyroid hormone for an average person ... who didn't have thyroid cancer (like RP) / thyroidectomy ?
Can we draw any conclusions from this on how to gain weight healthily (without looking like a muscled broiler) ?

Ray didn't have thyroid cancer as far as I know (?).

Taking thyroid is to normalize metabolism. Mst people with too-low thyroid have too-low metabolism, Ray was somewhat of an outlier in that he had too-low thyroid (as determined by body temperature and symptoms) but had "wasteful-metabolism" (i.e., could eat several thousand calories without gaining weight).

In terms of "what's the point" of tinkering with thyroid, it's to help heal disease. Broda Barnes book is full of case studies where establishing optimal thyroid functioning cured all sorts of diseases (mood disorders, fatigue, cognitive/behavioral issues, fertility/menstrual issues, chrinic infections, heart disease, etc.).

In terms of gaining weight healthily I would think adequate milk, eggs, butter, coconut oil would all help that.

Barnes' views on protein and metabolism certainly echo what Ray was saying about lowering protein towards the end of his life.

Apple

Ray didn't have thyroid cancer as far as I know (?).
Some people on this forum mentioned about his thyroid cancer... so we don't know for sure. But that would explain his interest in thyroid h and the need for supplementation.

Last edited:

Hugh Johnson

You are very close. I was working on the heart only. I had an "incident" last summer and my pulse pressure was always near 70 which is horrific. I also had a large jump in blood pressure and the blood pressure was highly erratic. Obviously, weight was not my main concern at that time.

I consumed huge quantities of coconut oil and things cooked in coconut oil. I eat potatoes smothered in butter or coconut oil. I eat oysters and shrimp and beef liver. I sauteed veggies in coconut oil. I drank whole milk and eat a ton of cheese. And fruit --- loads of fruit.

Within about two months, my heart was near perfect according to the numbers. In the evening at 6:30 after resting for 30 minutes I average about 130/85 with a pulse rate of 85 to 90 (average 88 or so). The pulse-pressure is almost always between 40 and 50 with the average at 45. I figure my heart is now much better than most 64 year old men --- and that given a heart attack last summer.

So, after the heart numbers started to suit me, I went to skim milk and low fat cheese and reduced the butter a bit. The weight gain stopped, but I am sitting at a 240 and had been at 200 for the last decade or so. Now is time to shed some weight <b>without</b> doing any damage to the hormonal balance that could injure my heart via causing thyroid problems.

And why is the Barnes idea of weight loss so different from Peat? Or is it? Perhaps I am missing something.

PS: snarky BS don't bother me any but it is not exactly helpful.

The question was simple. How to get the weight off without screwing up my health in any way.
I gained 20 kg too. I was subjectively near death when I found Peat. It's normal, even if it is unfortunate.

Normal Human

Some people on this forum mentioned about his thyroid cancer... so we don't know for sure. But that would explain his interest in thyroid h and the need for supplementation.
I just did a search on the forum ("thyroid cancer peat") and the only thing I see related to Ray having thyroid cancer is a post in this thread (Elephatos Protocol), where a member is saying that another person said this (no evidence given and no one else corroborated it)...so, seems like a distant rumor at best and saying "we don't know for sure" seems like it's giving it a bit more credit than it deserves.

Not trying to be overly picky or rude, I just don't like seeing rumors like this going around without evidence.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals