Eating LOW FAT Leads To Serious Gall Bladder Problems!

Emstar1892

Fruit contains a lot of natural sugar, which needs to be controlled by insulin in the body, Moore says. It's the pancreas' job to release that insulin; Kutcher's pancreas may have been overworked if his body was receiving an overload of sugar."
also "freelee and durianrider break up"

I think this is half true - I reckon my pancreas was about to blow because the diet switch made my triglycerides skyrocket, and it was probably the same for Kutcher. (To McDougall's credit he talked extensively about this - even now he tells those who go high-carb to forego fruit for weeks, possibly even months so that the same thing doesn't happen to them. The McDougall Newsletter January 2003 - Taming Elevated Triglycerides) The pancreas' function is to release insulin, I'd be very surprised if fulfilling its own function was damaging to it! Not that high insulin levels are a good thing...

OP
A

amethyst

Just my two cents on the 30BADforums...

As I've stated in my own threads, I was on a low-carb, very high-pufa diet for years from my late teens/early twenties. Blood work always perfect. Never had any issues apart from craving carbs when other people had them, and having less exercise endurance. I decided to completely transition for those reasons.

I followed the whole HCLF crowd (high carb hannah, durian rider, mcdougall, barnard, esselstyn, etc) and was a member of 30 bananas a day. I was eating 8-18% fat and more than enough calories. I was working out. I felt great, and then, after a while, I didn't feel so great. I'd get insane blood sugar swings and be severely hypoglycemic between eating. It reached the point that I'd be constantly eating fruit yet still feeling hypoglycemic even whilst I was eating. I then got the most unbelievable, overwhelming pain in my upper left side which continued for a few days and I was terrified. Honestly the worst pain in the world. I posted in the 30BAD forum a number of times about it asking desperately for help, and was met with silence, or "drink more water"/ "eat more". It was a really scary time and I started arguing back, then I got an ultrasound done of my torso and it showed an enlarged pancreas. I discussed the report at length in the forum and the consensus was that I probably secretly binged on fat.

I was dealing with all of this on my own and was too terrified to tell anyone what I was going through, as they'd always seen me as such a poster for health. I decided to come off the HCLF diet, and when I stated that on the forum my account was deleted as were my posts.

I'm not suggesting that any particular diet is superior to any other, but I can confirm that the 30BAD crowd is a complete facade. No one helped me even though they all knew I was a vulnerable young girl with serious health issues going on (my glucose would dip to 2.5 between snacks, and I'd be frantically posting about whether I should go to hospital, only to be constantly put down). And when things went wrong, all evidence was deleted. Perhaps the high-pufa diet that seemed to be working so well for me actually damaged my pancreas, or perhaps the HCLF diet damaged my pancreas. I'll never know, but I was lucky to get away with it and I'll never trust that forum nor its gurus (for other, very good reasons) again!
Thanks so much for sharing that! I agree, I think this can be a dangerous way of eating for a prolonged period of time. I just don't think it's healthy. When I too was eating very low fat, more carbs, low calories foods, I felt great initially. Kinda euphoric, because you feel so light. But this leads to digestive issues which I mentioned before. I think one's gallbladder, pancreas, and liver suffer as a result. It's much more important to have a balanced ratio of different food groups so that your major digestive organs don't suffer a digestive overload. This can be applied to fat as well. I don't think eating a ton of fat is healthy either. It's all about balance.

L

lollipop

As I've stated in my own threads, I was on a low-carb, very high-pufa diet for years from my late teens/early twenties. Blood work always perfect. Never had any issues apart from craving carbs when other people had them, and having less exercise endurance. I decided to completely transition for those reasons.

I followed the whole HCLF crowd (high carb hannah, durian rider, mcdougall, barnard, esselstyn, etc) and was a member of 30 bananas a day. I was eating 8-18% fat and more than enough calories. I was working out. I felt great, and then, after a while, I didn't feel so great. I'd get insane blood sugar swings and be severely hypoglycemic between eating. It reached the point that I'd be constantly eating fruit yet still feeling hypoglycemic even whilst I was eating. I then got the most unbelievable, overwhelming pain in my upper left side which continued for a few days and I was terrified. Honestly the worst pain in the world. I posted in the 30BAD forum a number of times about it asking desperately for help, and was met with silence, or "drink more water"/ "eat more". It was a really scary time and I started arguing back, then I got an ultrasound done of my torso and it showed an enlarged pancreas. I discussed the report at length in the forum and the consensus was that I probably secretly binged on fat.

I was dealing with all of this on my own and was too terrified to tell anyone what I was going through, as they'd always seen me as such a poster for health. I decided to come off the HCLF diet, and when I stated that on the forum my account was deleted as were my posts.

I'm not suggesting that any particular diet is superior to any other, but I can confirm that the 30BAD crowd is a complete facade. No one helped me even though they all knew I was a vulnerable young girl with serious health issues going on (my glucose would dip to 2.5 between snacks, and I'd be frantically posting about whether I should go to hospital, only to be constantly put down). And when things went wrong, all evidence was deleted. Perhaps the high-pufa diet that seemed to be working so well for me actually damaged my pancreas, or perhaps the HCLF diet damaged my pancreas. I'll never know, but I was lucky to get away with it and I'll never trust that forum nor its gurus (for other, very good reasons) again!
What a helpful post @Emstar1892 - especially for perspective as you have direct experience and not simply 3rd person he said/she said type of discourse. Thank you.

Wagner83

Fat and starch are also quite insulogenic afaik, so I doubt it's the reason for the pancreas issues.

Were you smoking cigarettes during this time? I remember you've said you smoke. Tobacco can cause blood sugar drops.

Emstar1892

Were you smoking cigarettes during this time? I remember you've said you smoke. Tobacco can cause blood sugar drops.

No not at all, I started smoking this summer (april-ish) which actually helped the hypoglycemia for some reason (and brought down my TSH), but I stopped again this september because I didn't want to rely on it to feel better. Reckon it probably helped the hypoglycemia by raising cortisol.

Your body makes cholesterol carbohydrate, and it can synthesize fats as well, but that doesn't mean anything. Your body can break down protein for glucose, and it can convert fat into ketones, but both are stressful.

i see... yes thats a good point. ray and danny, they get fat from milk, but they are downing a lot of milk. my cholesterol is always on the lower end, its always on like the 200 ish area, but it never really goes high then that. i am always constipated and have water retention. maybe i just need some extra fat because my liver is hijacked from the constipation? i really dont know, but i think it is worth a shot. i will start adding more liberal butter to things. will butter increase cholesterol? or will it act like cholesterol does in the body? not saying it is bad, that is good, i want to imidate higher cholesterol. i dont know that much about fat, all ive ever heard is your body makes it and that fructose will increase it, which i have confirmed is true, however, i have never "caught up" to my metabolism yet.

SUCH HAS DISCOVERED A 4TH MACRONUTRIENT!!!!! Where do you derive it from? How did you decide on getting 10% total calories from it?:nomnompopcorn

I get about 400kcal from vitamin B

how can eating fat be bad for those of you saying it.... it seems like actually eating fat is really good, especially now that i am doing some research into it, if you eat straight up butter, it will put cholesterol into your blood stream, along with sugar, that cholesterol will be converted via thyroid hormone into the protective hormones.... damn, actually i really need to start upping it temperarily.. it seems like it would be good temperarily until your liver kicks back in cholesterol production

Matt1951

@Matt1951 What does "freelee and durianriders break up" have to do with a fruitarian diet? You claim they killed their dog by eating vegan, but the link you provided was a random person on a forum saying they thought they heard that in a video.

Your link to reddit talks about their relationship issues, who cheated on who, threats of releasing a sex tape.

Don't turn this forum into a "celebrity" gossip forum.

The point was to show the true character of "durianrider". Why would anyone follow or reference this "guru"?
Westsidepufa stated Colpo had an anger issue. Durianrider has actually stalked, threatened, and hit people, including his own ex-girlfriend. You can readily find more supporting statements on killing their dog, with a vegan diet, with a simple web search. Such as:

Did you object to Westsidepufa showing a video of, supposedly, Colpo getting in durianrider's face?

OP
A

amethyst

The point was to show the true character of "durianrider". Why would anyone follow or reference this "guru"?
Westsidepufa stated Colpo had an anger issue. Durianrider has actually stalked, threatened, and hit people, including his own ex-girlfriend. You can readily find more supporting statements on killing their dog, with a vegan diet, with a simple web search. Such as:

Did you object to Westsidepufa showing a video of, supposedly, Colpo getting in durianrider's face?

Durianrider comes across as an angry individual to me in his videos. Maybe it is all that sugar. He was always trying to interrupt bananagirl in her videos.
I don't think Durianrider's low fat diet has done anything for him because his skin quality looks terrible to me. He looks too old for his age:

Durianrider

And didn't banana girl do botox? She's not old. She shouldn't have to do that, especially if she ate some good quality fat. Fat is what keeps your skin healthy and soft.

InChristAlone

Wow, thanks for sharing your story! I think a HCLF diet might be really hard for people with hypoglycemia. I'm glad I didn't attempt it for long. I think it can work wonders for people who need to restore insulin sensitivity cue Kempners rice diet. But even for people with a bit of metabolic dysfunction a high starch meal can cause major swings leading to feeling hypoglycemic. I am all about balanced meals. I think any extreme in eating can be difficult to maintain.

@Matt1951 What does "freelee and durianriders break up" have to do with a fruitarian diet? You claim they killed their dog by eating vegan, but the link you provided was a random person on a forum saying they thought they heard that in a video.

Your link to reddit talks about their relationship issues, who cheated on who, threats of releasing a sex tape.

Don't turn this forum into a "celebrity" gossip forum.

Thank you. As though peoples personal petty nonsense "debunks" a way of eating. FL and DR are easy targets because they are what I believe is an Aussie term called "bogans" who happen to have been youtubers long enough, since 2006, that they figured out how to troll for views and became famous in the net "health" scene. FL didn't really blow up until 2013 when she started making celebrity videos, 7 years after being a youtuber. You can say that a diet sucks about anyone and any style of eating. I can say "Oh look, here's a youtuber named "Stefanie Keto Person," a person who promotes a ketogenic diet, but look at her, she looks too muscular, she's probably on the juice and she doesn't look healthy, that proves keto is unhealthy, because one person, one youtuber!" Does anyone know what ad hominem is? Of course I think keto is complete BS but I don't completely discredit it based off one youtuber who looks weird to me.

"Oh look, this guy talking about Ray Peat looks unhealthy, therefore that complete discredits any and everything about Ray Peat!"

DaveFoster

Thank you. As though peoples personal petty nonsense "debunks" a way of eating. FL and DR are easy targets because they are what I believe is an Aussie term called "bogans" who happen to have been youtubers long enough, since 2006, that they figured out how to troll for views and became famous in the net "health" scene. FL didn't really blow up until 2013 when she started making celebrity videos, 7 years after being a youtuber. You can say that a diet sucks about anyone and any style of eating. I can say "Oh look, here's a youtuber named "Stefanie Keto Person," a person who promotes a ketogenic diet, but look at her, she looks too muscular, she's probably on the juice and she doesn't look healthy, that proves keto is unhealthy, because one person, one youtuber!" Does anyone know what ad hominem is? Of course I think keto is complete BS but I don't completely discredit it based off one youtuber who looks weird to me.

"Oh look, this guy talking about Ray Peat looks unhealthy, therefore that complete discredits any and everything about Ray Peat!"

Stefanie uses quite a bit of MCT oil and supplements minerals/gets a lot from cooked greens, so she's probably getting better nutrition than most of the population besides the absence of carbohydrates. She also avoids the conventional onslaught of PUFA, was a professional skater, and works out regularly, so of course she's going to look fit.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals